IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 144.
#2651 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

In the feature matrix one of the differences of the pro is a plastic bottom arch vs steel. What arch? Anybody maybe got a picture what is meant?
Thanks!

This will be plastic on the pro and metal on the PreLE.

41621B4A-E123-44E9-A883-6D3B33B29F60 (resized).jpeg41621B4A-E123-44E9-A883-6D3B33B29F60 (resized).jpeg
#2652 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

This will be plastic on the pro and metal on the PreLE.[quoted image]

Thank you!

#2653 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies. My wallet has come out of my pocket and on to the bench!

Next question I do alot with pinsound but this system is not compatible.
Can I do my own full orchestration with Pinball Browser?

#2654 4 years ago

Also the metal apron has lighting ..at least it has on other titles.

#2655 4 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Thanks for the replies. My wallet has come out of my pocket and on to the bench!
Next question I do alot with pinsound but this system is not compatible.
Can I do my own full orchestration with Pinball Browser?

Yes you can change things in stern pins which is really nice.

#2656 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

This will be plastic on the pro and metal on the PreLE.[quoted image]

I wonder if there is a design consideration for the projector underneath it.

#2657 4 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I wonder if there is a design consideration for the projector underneath it.

I would imagine there are set screws to adjust pitch and angle in combination with software settings to calibrate the projection.

#2658 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yes you can change things in stern pins which is really nice.

Thanks thats great.
Looks like I better start printing up mods!
First up interactive lit revolving Arcade sign!

#2659 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I was rewatching the stream a little today cause I didn’t get to pay close attention the other night, but someone asked if their if dirty pool is possible and they all laughed and said they weren’t going to give away everything in the stream and people would have to find out themselves. The way they talked about seemed like it was something that was going to be implemented in the code but isn’t there yet.

In AFM, it was probably inadvertent design. During multiball in AFM, the saucer kills cannot be progressed because the bank/drop targets are up and target hits do not register during multiball. In Medieval Madness the castle progression can happen during multiball play, bridge and gate hits register. However, in AFM, during multiball, a dirty pool shot will kill a saucer. So the question is, why would the scoop register during multiball and not a target hit in AFM? I'd guess design oversight and clever gamesmanship by players who discovered that. Hard to believe that was as-designed behavior and might or might not be there on Stranger Things but in that case, the designers are already aware of the issue. We'll see...

#2660 4 years ago

Has anyone heard when they will be streaming the premium/LE?

#2661 4 years ago
Quoted from PINQUEST:

Seen the term “dirty pool” a lot over the last few days! What’s that mean haha? Besides someone that has a dirty swimming pool.
Thanks!

Pretty sure it goes back to the Addams family pin. You could sometimes sneak the ball into the bookcase while it was closed and Gomez would say "dirty pool old man" like in the movie. So now some people talk about features where things shouldn't be possible but happen and the game still registers it as dirty pool.

I think anyway

#2662 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Pretty sure they will sell you a spare, but IMO it’s overkill. Very unlikely you’ll have a problem and for home use you won’t come close to wearing it out.
Cabinets are not a problem recently as they’ve been using all ply and Williams style cabinet brackets (at least on PreLe’s - can’t comment on Pro’s).

Every single Jurassic Park I've seen has dimpling and playfield chipping. Every single Elvira I've seen has major dimpling (some after 2 weeks of minimal play). Sorry, but Stern's quality control is still absolute shit and it's completely pathetic the way they've handled and continue to handle the situation. Sending out washers and pieces of paper that say the dimpling will "even out" doesn't satisfy me as a customer. Why people continue to buy their out of the box damaged 6000$+ toys I will never understand.

#2663 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Every single Jurassic Park I've seen has dimpling and playfield chipping. Every single Elvira I've seen has major dimpling (some after 2 weeks of minimal play). Sorry, but Stern's quality control is still absolute shit and it's completely pathetic the way they've handled and continue to handle the situation. Sending out washers and pieces of paper that say the dimpling will "even out" doesn't satisfy me as a customer. Why people continue to buy their out of the box damaged 6000$+ toys I will never understand.

Maybe it’s Schrodingers playfield and your observing it is causing the dimpling...my JP2 doesn’t have any but you haven’t seen it...thinking I should keep it that way to be safe

#2664 4 years ago

Just watched Cary Hardy's stream-reaction video, and he made a great point on the playfield design. In order for the projector to work, the playfield had to be wide-open, otherwise the image would be blocked by whatever mechs or ramps that were in front of the projector. You need a clear line-of-sight for the projector to work. Makes sense now why they went this way with the design, after they decided that they wanted to do a projector.

#2665 4 years ago
Quoted from jdroc:

Maybe it’s Schrodingers playfield and your observing it is causing the dimpling...my JP2 doesn’t have any but you haven’t seen it...thinking I should keep it that way to be safe

or you could view the thread with about 1000 examples of it. your choice.

hows your clearcoat lookin? got those washers coverin up the damage yet?

#2666 4 years ago

Some one said strange? I'm in!

#2667 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Speak with your wallet until the situation changes. If you don’t like the product don’t “reward” bad business behaviours by purchasing. Hopefully enough customers do that and something get done to remedy the issue.

My local distributor said they’d look after me regardless of what happens and then I saw stern weren’t doing full replacements “at all”. So even in the situation where my distributor has intentions to help they really don’t have anything they can do except take back the machine. I cancelled my orders and won’t order another nib until it stops.

#2668 4 years ago

I don't get why they rushed this one out when they still have a ton of Jurassic Park Premiums (and it does appear to be a ton) on backorder. I guess those are definitive sales and they feel the need to push this out for quick impulse sales?

Looks like they will finally have the time to run a Tron Vault in a few months if this one does indeed flop (as it appears from the feedback here, not my personal guess).

I too was expecting sooooo much more from Eddy. Maybe next time?

#2669 4 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I don't get why they rushed this one out when they still have a ton of Jurassic Park Premiums (and it does appear to be a ton) on backorder. I guess those are definitive sales and they feel the need to push this out for quick impulse sales?
Looks like they will finally have the time to run a Tron Vault in a few months if this one does indeed flop (as it appears from the feedback here, not my personal guess).
I too was expecting sooooo much more from Eddy. Maybe next time?

I think people expect designers to come up with totally unique layouts that in reality are very difficult to implement in a way that they shoot smoothly.

Kudos Keith obviously.

And designers go back to what has worked for them and what does well commercially.

Look at Ritchie.

Everyone moaned and moaned when AC/DC came out as it was a 'rehashed T2'.

And yet, with great code, it was Stern's best selling game.

If this game is coded great, then it is going to be a massive seller. Probably will be anyway.

Code has reminded me of AS, GOTG a little bit, so hope there is not too much Lonnie cutting and pasting.

#2670 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Critique of a $6000-$9000 toy isn’t “hate”. It’s normal discussion that should take place when deciding whether a $6000+ toy is worth purchasing.

Nobody can possibly critique it until they've played the game.

#2671 4 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

In AFM, it was probably inadvertent design. During multiball in AFM, the saucer kills cannot be progressed because the bank/drop targets are up and target hits do not register during multiball. In Medieval Madness the castle progression can happen during multiball play, bridge and gate hits register. However, in AFM, during multiball, a dirty pool shot will kill a saucer. So the question is, why would the scoop register during multiball and not a target hit in AFM? I'd guess design oversight and clever gamesmanship by players who discovered that. Hard to believe that was as-designed behavior and might or might not be there on Stranger Things but in that case, the designers are already aware of the issue. We'll see...

start the saucer mode before starting multi ball...

#2672 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

In the feature matrix one of the differences of the pro is a plastic bottom arch vs steel. What arch? Anybody maybe got a picture what is meant?
Thanks!

They are talking about the apron.

#2673 4 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Thanks thats great.
Looks like I better start printing up mods!
First up interactive lit revolving Arcade sign!

Since ypu didn‘t know about the arch and pinball browser...

...plz bear in mind that it‘s easy to fry your nodeboards if you just hook up additional lighting to an insert light.

#2674 4 years ago

Code is going to make me love or just like this title. Having 40 modes, etc. is great but if every mode is the same I feel like it would get repetitive quickly. How will the video mode be? If they do not even have a video mode in beta code I am not sure how quickly a cool video mode can be produced? How will they implement the button on lock down bar into code that will be enjoyable? Hurry take your hands off flippers and bash the demo dogs? I really like some of the modes but in order to capture my interest they will need to do something with linear mode rules. They have chosen to randomize modes but now I want to see some randomness in mode progression. Here is what I am thinking...during Isolation mode have the lit shots keep multiplying every five seconds or so. The only way to reduce lit shots and battle the timer is to complete certain lit shots within a set time frame. Once you get down to last shot and complete-the game goes crazy with GI strobe effect. Or on Burn it Back mode, you need to hit one lit shot that rotates around the playfield until you reach a certain number of lit shots. They could make this game absolutely stellar with a few tweaks in code imo.

#2675 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It’s the same story every release for Stern.
You know the gig Neil.
Everybody wants a $12.5k bill of materials BOM pin for a $7500 price tag

That's not why people are hating on this. Nobody hated jurassic park. This pin looks like shit. That's why the hate. We went from JP to this? Yikes.

#2676 4 years ago

The sounds on this machine are incredible!

Only a few machines have ever made me want to buy them just for the sounds/music: Stars, TX Sector, Robo Wars, TNA and now Stranger Things

#2677 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

That's not why people are hating on this. Nobody hated jurassic park. This pin looks like shit. That's why the hate. We went from JP to this? Yikes.

If you use JP as the benchmark for your opinions of games, you’re not gonna like very many new games.

#2678 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If you use JP as the benchmark for your opinions of games, you’re not gonna like very many new games.

7ACFCD09-7546-4E76-A907-31875C5F7238.gif7ACFCD09-7546-4E76-A907-31875C5F7238.gif

Teasing of course... I completely agree.

#2679 4 years ago

Watching video again-man they need to do something with repetitive 'Jackpot' call-out? Reminds me of Batman-not in a good way.

Jackpot
Jackpot
Jackpot

#2680 4 years ago

in regards to hits to the demagagon (sp?) that hit it but do not go in the hole, there is no switch on the mech.

There is an opto which can register but the ball would need to fall straight down in front of the molded toy scuplt (which is rarely does)

In other words, Lonnie and crew, please ensure a bail out shot so people dont get locked in to that mode.

#2681 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Since ypu didn‘t know about the arch and pinball browser...
...plz bear in mind that it‘s easy to fry your nodeboards if you just hook up additional lighting to an insert light.

Arch was me. I only know that part as apron. I was imagining something in the cabinet or below the playfield to increase rigidity or something.

In any case, good advise though!

#2682 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

[quoted image]
Teasing of course... I completely agree.

This would be an amazing callout if you failed to complete one of the modes. Haha

#2683 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Arch was me. I only know that part as apron. I was imagining something in the cabinet or below the playfield to increase rigidity or something.
In any case, good advise though!

Would’ve been funny if they had Hopper do his best AFM jackpot and super jackpot callouts.

#2684 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Nobody can possibly critique it until they've played the game.

Yes they can...

#2685 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Would’ve been funny if they had Hopper do his best AFM jackpot and super jackpot callouts.

Obviously there is a TON of Hopper voice work coming in future code. Maybe the playfield design wasn't Brian's only nod to his 90's roots.

#2686 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Yes they can...

Pinside has proven this plenty of times. Haha.

#2687 4 years ago

Waiting for the LE on this one . This honey bun needs to cook a little more.

Yes, the stream is all Jackpot.

#2688 4 years ago

So I was more excited about this pin coming than maybe any ever! I guess I was also thinking of innovation in regards of the playfield design and toys. Kinda reminds me of what happened with Star Wars. The good news after 2 yrs later sw to me became one of the best pins so I’m in hopes.
But I am disappointed.

#2689 4 years ago

For those that are disappointed so far. What were some of the things physically that you’d wish they had done?

Lower or upper playfield would’ve been bad for this imo

Magnets all over the main playfield is a bad idea too. See TWD. Just make things more frustrating than cool.

I’m not a very imaginative person, so I struggle with ideas in this regard.

#2690 4 years ago

You lucky effers in Colorado can play it TODAY!!!

DonavanStrangerThings1UPGreenwood (resized).pngDonavanStrangerThings1UPGreenwood (resized).png
#2691 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

For those that are disappointed so far. What were some of the things physically that you’d wish they had done?

I really am not disappointed I am just really waiting to see how it all comes together. One thing I have noticed with certain Sterns is they seem to get better with age and really tend to grow on you.

My critic: I would have liked to see interactive magnets on the playfield-not some gimmicky backboard lock. Total waste of magnet potential with Eleven.

-Pop bumpers that again do nothing? Can we just get rid of them if they want to shove in upper corner? Weak sauce

-Does every game have to have a center button on lock down bar now? Why?

-Felt they should have done something different with Pro with huge screen covered with decal? Maybe have Demogorgon pop up out of playfield like Monger on IM? Looks a little out of place imo

-Are there too many modes and inserts? Will anyone be able to get to Wizard within 45 minutes? I like deep games, just wondering if this one is too deep(is that possible?) Time will tell

I do love the full spectrum of video and sound assets that they are utilizing and code can make this game really shine. Overall the pluses outweigh the negatives so far for me. It is on my radar

#2692 4 years ago

Greenwood Village, here we come!

#2693 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

My critic would be I would have liked to see interactive magnets on the playfield-not some gimmicky backboard lock. Total waste of magnet potential with Eleven.

I am pumped they did it this way. Completely new, never been done before and will never cause a cheap drain. Win, win, win.

Quoted from pinmister:

Pop bumpers that again do nothing? Can we just get rid of them if they want to shove in upper corner? Weak sauce

Fair point here. They seem to have similar coding as AFM at the moment.

Quoted from pinmister:

Does every game have to have a center button on lock down bar now? Why?

Yes. Same reason why they do not do widebodies. They buy the lockbars and cabinets in bulk and never change them. Makes sense from a bottle line standpoint.

Quoted from pinmister:

Are there too many modes and inserts? Will anyone be able to get to Wizard within 45 minutes? I like deep games, just wondering if this one is too deep(is that possible?) Time will tell

Agree. Time will tell but on the surface I would expect similar timing to rule the universe with some added time due to having to play the modes on your way to the mini wizard modes. So 45 mins seems adequate as far as an expectation.

#2694 4 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

You lucky effers in Colorado can play it TODAY!!!

Donavan I will be checking this game out this afternoon

#2695 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Magnets all over the main playfield is a bad idea too. See TWD. Just make things more frustrating than cool.

More interactive playfield, not just lanes and ramps. Sure the demagorgon is nice but there could be more to do.

#2696 4 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

More interactive playfield, not just lanes and ramps. Sure the demagorgon is nice but there could be more to do.

Like what??

#2697 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Multiple magnets under the center of the playfield (Dialed In / Addams Family style) would have been perfect considering 11's powers. The magnets could have been used in a number of chapter modes and multiballs where 11 uses her powers. This would also break up the void in the middle of the playfield and overall add a lot more excitement to the game.

#2698 4 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

Agree 100%. A friend is getting his Friday, we shall see.

#2699 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What were some of the things physically that you’d wish they had done?

I forgot to add onto mnpinball's point about how there should have been pop-ups like Nightcrawlers on X-MEN or Trolls on MM. Pop-up Demo Dogs would have been awesome-and a homage to MM.

#2700 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Multiple magnets under the center of the playfield (Dialed In / Addams Family style) would have been perfect considering 11's powers. The magnets could have been used in a number of chapter modes and multiballs where 11 uses her powers. This would also break up the void in the middle of the playfield and overall add a lot more excitement to the game.

Or for me, frustration. No bueno.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/54?hl=bgwilly31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.