IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 144.
#2601 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Makes sense, but most of my non-pinball friends don't enjoy playing, so I have a hard time keeping too many games around that aren't loved by pinballers. I find most non-pinball friends will appreciate the licenses/beauty, but ultimately have no interest in firing up a game.

Buying games for your family and friends is always a mistake. Nothing is gonna force these people to like pinball.

Buy what ya want!

#2602 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Buying games for your family and friends is always a mistake. Nothing is gonna force these people to like pinball.
Buy what ya want!

Very true. Good thing I want what they want.

Win/win on this one

#2603 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Most DMD era to modern pins are objective based. Start modes, finish modes, destroy the castle, sink the ship, etc. I could tell you every objective in LOTR and how it relates to advancing to the end...I’ve had the game for over 10 years...I couldn't tell you what scores what...but it doesn’t matter, as objective = score. I know more jackpots =more score. Finishing modes = score + elf gifts which = score. The best games are the ones designed with some obvious things for casuals to do & nuance for the pros who want to dig deeper. No need for two separate rule sets if a designer & programmer knows how to craft a great pinball machine design & ruleset.

Of course pins are objective based in practice. But just like you said, objective = score, which the vast majority of any casual player I’ve talked to or encountered that plays a handful of times each year, do not care about. Hence the need to have a mode that wipes out the scores in favor of objectives.

Plus there already are separate rulesets on most modern pins. I don’t see the harm in simplifying this even further for different casual or party modes in a home setting.

#2604 4 years ago

So I just finished watching season 1, yeah I don’t have much time for TV so I’m a bit far behind. Does the game have magnets throwing the ball around the playfield. The magnet in the back I saw in one of the videos doesn’t really count. Is there an upside down mode of any sort in the game? Would be cool if the lighting could change to reflect an upside down mode and you fight past Demigorgons. I could see a cool video mode for the game too. A mode where you have to hit things to spell “right here” could be cool. A Christmas lights mode. Lots of possibilities.

#2605 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That's a game I need to get my hands on some day. I've played it a handful of times over the years and really enjoyed it.

It's a stunning game...bought it NIB in 2004 and my son and I still play it often. I've never been to Valinor (the ultimate wizard mode), but the mini-wizard modes are really satisfying. Highly recommend if you can get your hands on one. Since they did several runs, the prices are pretty modest.

#2606 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Does the game have magnets throwing the ball around the playfield.

Thankfully no.

Quoted from Lermods:

Is there an upside down mode of any sort in the game?

Yes.

#2607 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

So I just finished watching season 1, yeah I don’t have much time for TV so I’m a bit far behind. Does the game have magnets throwing the ball around the playfield. The magnet in the back I saw in one of the videos doesn’t really count. Is there an upside down mode of any sort in the game? Would be cool if the lighting could change to reflect an upside down mode and you fight past Demigorgons. I could see a cool video mode for the game too. A mode where you have to hit things to spell “right here” could be cool. A Christmas lights mode. Lots of possibilities.

Agree possibilities are endless. Magnets Would have been great. Houdini magnets make the ball possessed. Would have been cool here

#2608 4 years ago

I'm different than most here. I wasn't interested when it was first revealed via trailer/pictures. Looked kinda boring, few toys or innovations. I changed my mind after the Jack Danger stream because of the lights, colors, sound effects and smoothness of many of the shots (and I don't have a "fan layout" pin in my collection). It was also non-stop play, it seems. Very few stoppages like JP2, sheesh. What I don't get is why anyone is extra excited over the premium or LE? Seems to me like the main difference is the projector and a magnet ball holder in the back. You can't really see the magnet holder in the back, so who cares about that and the projector would project...what? The same stuff as on the screen (that I rarely ever look at). I'm not sure I get the hype over a projector. So it's gonna show me stuff on a small screen during my gameplay?! Who cares. I really don't see the excitement over the additions, especially at the higher price tag. That said, I still wanna play it before I decide on the Pro or not.

#2609 4 years ago
Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

and the projector would project...what? The same stuff as on the screen (that I rarely ever look at).

Well, I think that's exactly it, the projector projects at the playfield which you ARE looking at.

#2610 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Tournament players like to hold the balls indefinitely to set up shots. Games need to integrate point penalties for ball cradling. Easy enough to do. No ball hits + flipper held X over 1 second = start penalties.

not quite the same, but many games do prevent you from trapping up in an effort to kill timers and get to wizard modes by pausing timers during traps.

#2611 4 years ago
Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

projector would project...what? The same stuff as on the screen (that I rarely ever look at). I'm not sure I get the hype over a projector.

Projector also projects on other objects - drops, ramps, stand ups therefore changing what are usually just static. For example timers on the targets, words on the drops, arrows on the ramps. Imo that’s the best thing about the projector. Agree that projecting on the screen is just another screen. But it is easier to see it when playing.

The screen can also be turned in to buildings or locations by the projector. If it’s true projector mapping, the idea is for the projector to change the object into something different.

#2612 4 years ago

For good reason, lots of folks are excited to see the projector. This could be amazing or a dud. Interested to see it myself!!!!

#2613 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If that’s true why haven’t they offered me a job yet?! Everybody knows how much I want to move to Chicago.

Wait....what? You’re not a Stern employee already?!?

#2614 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Wait, what? You aren’t a Stern employee already?!?

I'm sure their quota of yes men is already full.

#2615 4 years ago

I think I'm in the minority as someone who actually likes the Pro. Been wanting a Brian Eddy game for a while now (AFM is one of my all time favorites, just could never afford one). Now we get a Eddy game with an actual relevant theme, at sub $6k pricing? Super excited for this. Looking forward to seeing how the code evolves over the next few months. If it's a winner in the .90 code build range, I'm in.

#2616 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Wait, what? You aren’t a Stern employee already?!?

Levi would have to give up Pinside if he was..

#2617 4 years ago

The premium has Physical ball locks which are nice and this one holds them on the backboard like magic lol ...up to 3 I believe. Also the bash toy has some action and moves which is nice. Then the projector sld be a neat effect and really immerse you into the game more so since you rarely have time to look up at the lcd screen. I hope it works well and is coded well as this will really make the game shine if done right. I love afm and this layout is very similar with some nice additions like the far left shot/scoop that then launches it at the inner orbit. I like the game has 4 ramps and the left orbit shot to ramp is nice. Game has great flow and constant action . I also believe balls can be locked behind the drops and in the left mystery shot area. Only shot I dont love is the right orbit as I believe it only leads to the pop area? Or can it open up and make full orbit shots like on afm after u hit the shot enough? Overall I believe it will be a nice game once the code gets up into the .90s and if you enjoy the show the game sld be a winner. Also we have another new pin which is awesome...such a nice time for our small hobby

#2618 4 years ago

Also the pro sld be able to be bought for under 5600 shipped as I know folks who were getting jp and prior pro pins for 5200-5500 shipped to them.

#2619 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Only shot I dont love is the right orbit as I believe it only leads to the pop area? Or can it open up and make full orbit shots like on afm after u hit the shot enough?

It always feeds the pops due to the ramp for the left orbit blocking it off.

#2620 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I also believe balls can be locked behind the drops and in the left mystery shot area.

No locks there. This is just a lane like the ACDC pro bell lane with a one way gate in the middle that feeds the saucer that spits into the left orbit.

#2621 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

No locks there. This is just a lane like the ACDC pro bell lane with a one way gate in the middle that feeds the saucer that spits into the left orbit.

I saw a few sets of optos here so I figured it cld hold a few balls. Looks like just a up post and not a scoop .

#2622 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It always feeds the pops due to the ramp for the left orbit blocking it off.

O ok.. that kinda stinks ..wld been nice of the ramp cld raise so it cld been full orbit. Still game flows nice even this being like that.

#2623 4 years ago

You can see a up post and few sets of optos like 2 balls cld b held at some point . Guess will see as code develops at what all can be done as lots of optos in the center area guess to detect different hits and stuff. Hopefully theirs a dirty pool feature also. Screenshot_20191225-020559_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191225-020559_Facebook (resized).jpg

#2624 4 years ago

Looks like a longer throw opto that can detect behind the drop targets so hopefully dirty pool is a possibility.

#2625 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Buy what ya want!

This is the #1 rule of home collecting.

#2626 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

AFM is the only game my wife has ever played and enjoyed.
This theme will be massive outside of pinside and being similar to AFM will ensure this game sells a ton.

Can't agree more with these sentiments. AFM is the most approachable game there is for new players as it invites new players to simply shoot in the middle to make progress. My wife tolerates it too but I had to sell that clunker of a remake. I was eventually going to get a real one but I think Stranger Things will do me just fine with a cherry on top. I have a dark corner in my game room and I simply chose not to listen to the the doom mongers.

And trust me, there will be a cow!

#2627 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man this is a dumb idea. Like, even for pinside.
Hey you know what? For pro baseball we should make it that the batter isn’t allowed to hold his bat and needs to swing away at everything. It’s cheating otherwise. Nfl teams shouldn’t be allowed to huddle either. It’s dumb.
Dialed in throws a wrinkle into multiballs with the energy surge to the flippers. It’s cute but doing something like this all the time would ruin games and you wouldn’t see them in tournaments at all. Not sure how that helps anything.
There’s tons of ways to make tournament games play shorter that don’t involve such ridiculous ideas. Remove rubbers from posts, open outlanes, make the rules harder....anybody who actually plays in tournaments knows this. Stranger things will be a fine tournament game just like everything else and players will still be allowed to cradle the ball.

Whoa, suddenly all the snarky undertone is gone.

#2628 4 years ago

Star Wars is the best recent game for forcing the action. That ever-expiring multiplier really punishes holding the ball for very long.

#2629 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Looks like a longer throw opto that can detect behind the drop targets so hopefully dirty pool is a possibility.

Is there a gobble hole on the playfield behind the drops? Not sure how dirty pool is even possible here if it's just the demogorgon mouth that's only accessible with the ramp down and is a shot above the playfield level anyway.

#2630 4 years ago

Seen the term “dirty pool” a lot over the last few days! What’s that mean haha? Besides someone that has a dirty swimming pool.

Thanks!

#2631 4 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Is there a gobble hole on the playfield behind the drops? Not sure how dirty pool is even possible here if it's just the demogorgon mouth that's only accessible with the ramp down and is a shot above the playfield level anyway.

Dirty pool is possible the same way it is for AFM. Sneak a slow roller back there as the targets reset. If done I multiple times already but no dirty pool is in the code yet. Just sits there until ball search.

#2632 4 years ago
Quoted from PINQUEST:

Seen the term “dirty pool” a lot over the last few days! What’s that mean haha? Besides someone that has a dirty swimming pool.
Thanks!

Dirty pool I think is what can be done on AFM. It has a gobble hole behind the bank of targets. So if you can leave a ball behind the raised bank, hitting the bank will knock it into the gobble hole and circumvent the rules.

#2633 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Dirty pool is possible the same way it is for AFM. Sneak a slow roller back there as the targets reset. If done I multiple times already but no dirty pool is in the code yet. Just sits there until ball search.

Not sure how it can be done without a gobble hole but maybe the opto beam break works the same on Stranger Things to progress?

#2634 4 years ago

Not sure how it can be done without a gobble hole but maybe the opto beam break works the same on Stranger Things to progress?

Bingo. And it’s a scoop in AFM FYI. Gobble holes drain the ball.

#2635 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

In the stream the ball got caught several times behind the stand-ups. It cycled them pretty quickly to release them, way quicker than ball search - 1 second maybe 2 -, so I think they can detect that situation and have in their code already addressed it.

#2636 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Bingo. And it’s a scoop in AFM FYI. Gobble holes drain the ball.

Speaking of Gobble holes, Stern could totally reuse the Demogorgan mech if they ever decided to make a pin based on the movie Teeth lol

Teeth (resized).jpgTeeth (resized).jpg
#2637 4 years ago

Can somebody clarify, did all Stern titles just go up in price by $100 or was it just Stranger Things?

#2638 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

In the stream the ball got caught several times behind the stand-ups. It cycled them pretty quickly to release them, way quicker than ball search - 1 second maybe 2 -, so I think they can detect that situation and have in their code already addressed it.

Yeah good point. It’s quick and not a full ball search.

#2639 4 years ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

Can somebody clarify, did all Stern titles just go up in price by $100 or was it just Stranger Things?

All Stern except Elvira and Beetles went up $100

#2640 4 years ago
892CEAF9-1C1C-4608-98F3-DA0FE8BB4396 (resized).jpeg892CEAF9-1C1C-4608-98F3-DA0FE8BB4396 (resized).jpeg
#2641 4 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

[quoted image]

Where are the accelerators? Or were you just chopping wood?

#2642 4 years ago

Haha. Accelerators. We need to use this term more.

#2643 4 years ago

I'll admit I have been really against the stern machines NIB due to the poor playfield wrinkling dimpling cabinet corners etc on a lot I have seen.
But...I love this theme and AFM as well so it could actually make me buy one.
I am being sincere here...do you think it is worth buying a spare playfield, getting it professionally cleared and beefing up cabinet etc on this game?
Or just strip the NIB and get it done off the bat?
A friend said Stern have fixed playfield issues can anyone tell me who has seen one of these now in the flesh if the playfield is dimpling, wrinkled etc off the bat?

Thankyou

#2644 4 years ago

I don’t think stern will sell spare playfields but if that will put your mind at ease, I say go for it.

#2645 4 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

I am being sincere here...do you think it is worth buying a spare playfield, getting it professionally cleared and beefing up cabinet etc on this game?

No, just play.

#2646 4 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

I'll admit I have been really against the stern machines NIB due to the poor playfield wrinkling dimpling cabinet corners etc on a lot I have seen.
But...I love this theme and AFM as well so it could actually make me buy one.
Or just strip the NIB and get it done off the bat?
A friend said Stern have fixed playfield issues can anyone tell me who has seen one of these now in the flesh if the playfield is dimpling, wrinkled etc off the bat?
Thankyou

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t think stern will sell spare playfields but if that will put your mind at ease, I say go for it.

Pretty sure they will sell you a spare, but IMO it’s overkill. Very unlikely you’ll have a problem and for home use you won’t come close to wearing it out.

Cabinets are not a problem recently as they’ve been using all ply and Williams style cabinet brackets (at least on PreLe’s - can’t comment on Pro’s).

#2648 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

<ablockquote cite="#5376778">I don’t think stern will sell spare playfields but if that will put your mind at ease, I say go for it.
Pretty sure they will sell you a spare, but IMO it’s overkill. Very unlikely you’ll have a problem and for home use you won’t come close to wearing it out.
Cabinets are not a problem recently as they’ve been using all ply and Williams style cabinet brackets (at least on PreLe’s - can’t comment on Pro’s).

Pros have them too.

#2649 4 years ago

In the feature matrix one of the differences of the pro is a plastic bottom arch vs steel. What arch? Anybody maybe got a picture what is meant?

Thanks!

#2650 4 years ago

I was rewatching the stream a little today cause I didn’t get to pay close attention the other night, but someone asked if their if dirty pool is possible and they all laughed and said they weren’t going to give away everything in the stream and people would have to find out themselves. The way they talked about seemed like it was something that was going to be implemented in the code but isn’t there yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/53?hl=atrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.