IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 144.
#2501 4 years ago

The game looks cool to me so far. Glad we have another pin to play that’s for sure!!

#2502 4 years ago

Wherever this pin may end up, you gotta admit that on the day of reveal, they can have games in the wild ready to buy & play is very...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT2sb5Tmud08bvclOwXu3ocoIgGJWi1xReodWsSMxEexi-HurjM

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#2503 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Selective help I guess.
Funny how they are willing to help you and your 13 year old pin but won’t help people with new Pins.
Get yourself over to the ongoing playfield issue forum.

I used to be pretty negative on Stern as a company a couple years ago. I had a bad playfield on my Ghostbusters LE. I did make a stink about it, but I'll tell you this, Gary Stern personally called me and we had a 45 min convo about the issue and other things and he promised he'd make it right himself.

They shipped me a populated playfield and I exchanged it. I had my doubts obviously. But they pulled through and completely made up for it which is why I'm still a customer of Stern.

Contact your distributor if you're having a problem and see what they can do.

#2504 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I used to be pretty negative on Stern as a company a couple years ago. I had a bad playfield on my Ghostbusters LE. I did make a stink about it, but I'll tell you this, Gary Stern personally called me and we had a 45 min convo about the issue and other things and he promised he'd make it right himself.
They shipped me a populated playfield and I exchanged it. I had my doubts obviously. But they pulled through and completely made up for it which is why I'm still a customer of Stern.
Contact your distributor if you're having a problem and see what they can do.

I’m happy for you and the guys who got sorted on the known GB issues, deserved...that’s cool and good of GS to call you personally. These were affecting only a number of playfield to a specific pin so they were prepared to do the right thing.
Problem is now, the issues are much wider spread and affect so many. Customer services tactic is to go silent..... then cherry pick which ones they feel they need to action. Not sure what the internal decision making process is formed on however....
Customers will view this as poor after-sales, Smoke n Mirrors routine, where’s the integrity?
Anyway, this isn’t the right forum to debate.... being Stranger Things....
People just want what they paid for....

Here’s another one for Chuck to downvote

#2505 4 years ago

Half the LE’s go over seas is what I am hearing.

I think that is typical now and days for Stern

#2506 4 years ago

I am starting to think that the cost of past QC fumbles is starting to make an impact on BOM for new releases. Gotta keep those investors happy!

#2507 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

It's AFM meets stranger things WITH better code.
Done.

..... well that's a hot take. There is no fucking way this will have better code than AFM.

#2508 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

was gonna send you help until you reported/tattled on me. LOL

Wait, but was it Tim or not?

#2509 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

..... well that's a hot take. There is no fucking way this will have better code than AFM.

It already does. Haha. Every game from that era is extremely shallow.

Right now STH Pro doesn’t have the moments that AFM has especially the demogorgon modes and the upside down, but the rules are already way more interesting than AFM. It has total annihilation but with three different tiers. It’s not the same each time. And the path to that mode is much more interesting (the 12 story modes).

That piece alone makes this code better than AFM.

What it will come down to in the end is can STH’s fanfare and moments and humor compete with AFM’s. That’s a tall task.

#2510 4 years ago

I agree with some of the earlier posts that this game is all about the projector and the Premium/LE experience. This is a ground breaking game.

It would be like a Pinball 2000 pro model coming out missing the top monitor and having no playfield graphics.

#2511 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm not sure where the 40+ mode count is coming from. Maybe all of the hurry up modes are increasing the mode count. From what I'Ve seen and read Stranger Things has around 20 main modes between chapter modes, multiballs, and wizard modes. That's more then AFM but the choreography in Stranger Thing modes is currently significantly worse. The code is still very early so I'm sure a lot of mode choreography and polish is coming.

#2512 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I am starting to think that the cost of past QC fumbles is starting to make an impact on BOM for new releases. Gotta keep those investors happy!

JodyG that’s all it is. Sadly. The last few years probably made the investors smile, so they say let’s aim higher meaning less BOM and game for consumer.

#2513 4 years ago

After probably 20 game on it. It has some fun shots and is a good Eddy fan layout.
The demon thing is pretty tough to hit. Game currently at 7.2 degrees. I may need to change that down a bit?
Either way the tolerance for that shot is very tight/tough. Wish the actual sculpt had a secondary switch to resister shots that dont make it in the hole.
Would be much better if the game could register 'damage' and kill shots. Esp because the code often locks you out of other things when trying to defeat this one shot. This was a miss IMHO. a single leaf switch would have made this much more engaging from a play perspective.

If Lonny and code team is reading, please advise on best game angle for this shot.
Please also devise a bail out shot in code since the game lacks a switch to register hits that done go in.

I have never seen the show but was playing a bunch with a buddy that has and he says the show stuff is pretty cool already but not super deep (I assume more will come over time)

#2514 4 years ago

Why do I have to own (and love) the one game everyone is comparing this to.

#2515 4 years ago

Brian Eddy is a software guy at heart. I'm sure he has a lot of influence on this game's rules. Also, these new games take a huge team of coders to do the video and sound compared to even 5 years ago. While we all would rather have someone other than Lonny as the lead on software, I think we are at a time where software is more of a team product than ever before. Not that it can't fail, but the Leads have a lot more help these days to fill in their weaknesses.

This game is long awaited by me and I can't wait to play it. I love the previous Brian Eddy games. His games simply feel different. STGS is a unique layout and the projector looks cool as hell. I will reserve all judgement until I've played the Premium/LE.

#2516 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Lol !!! Stern knows what they're doing with the theme that's for sure.
The thing about Stranger Things pinball is let's be totally honest:
1) Is it going to be a Top 10 pin? Absolutely not.
2) Is the playfield sparse and not nearly as cool as recent Keith Elwin game? F**k no.
3) Is the code going to hold a candle to anything Lyman can do? Hahahah c'mon
I think we all know that going into this.
But in all honesty, themes matter in pinball. My kids won't touch my existing machines except for Metallica, rarely anything else I've owned. Same with my wife.
But when they heard there's a Stranger Things pinball? They couldn't care less about Lonnie code or sparse playfield this and that.
It's.A.Stranger.Things.Pinball and they want it. Outside of us diehards looking for the next Top 10 pin, there's others who just find amusement with the fact they can relate to the sounds, music, and recognizable names of modes and crap like that. Makes it fun for those who aren't pinnerds like us and that's why I want it

This layout is perfect for this theme.

AFM is the only game my wife has ever played and enjoyed.

This theme will be massive outside of pinside and being similar to AFM will ensure this game sells a ton.

#2517 4 years ago

If its just a projector, it wouldnt be as exciting, as if its mapping.
If Demogorgon moves, and gets effects that change projected on to it....it will be so much better.
Otherwise its a mini drive in theater.

#2518 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If its just a projector, it wouldnt be as exciting, as if its mapping.
If Demogorgon moves, and gets effects that change projected on to it....it will be so much better.
Otherwise its a mini drive in theater.

What if the projector projected the image on the gorgon's mouth (while the ramp is down) of the inner mouth spikes and drool or something. That would be a nice way to animate the main toy and make it feel alive.

#2519 4 years ago

That would be badass but I doubt it would be very visible. Looks like it needs those white areas to really work well.

Can’t wait to see it in person.

#2520 4 years ago

Got my pro set up.
Early review.

Shoots great. Left orbit shot that goes up the ramp and feeds to right flipper feels AWESOME!

Drop targets may need some adjustment, getting the Scolari brother brick shots from GB. Ball comes flying back and jumps over the flippers. Easy fix.

Code is super early, reminds me of GOTG right out the box. Not a ton of call outs, feels “soul-less” right now but that’s how GOTG was out of the box and wound up being one of my favorites. I have faith it will be bad ass when completed.

Dark game! May scare kids which is awesome! Need some creepy/scary stuff!

First couple of center ramp shots missed demogorgan mouth and shot up in to the glass with some force. Nervous I may see my first busted glass from a ball inside a machine! We shall see!

If you buy right now be patient.

#2521 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

After probably 20 game on it. It has some fun shots and is a good Eddy fan layout.
The demon thing is pretty tough to hit. Game currently at 7.2 degrees. I may need to change that down a bit?
Either way the tolerance for that shot is very tight/tough. Wish the actual sculpt had a secondary switch to resister shots that dont make it in the hole.
Would be much better if the game could register 'damage' and kill shots. Esp because the code often locks you out of other things when trying to defeat this one shot. This was a miss IMHO. a single leaf switch would have made this much more engaging from a play perspective.
If Lonny and code team is reading, please advise on best game angle for this shot.
Please also devise a bail out shot in code since the game lacks a switch to register hits that done go in.
I have never seen the show but was playing a bunch with a buddy that has and he says the show stuff is pretty cool already but not super deep (I assume more will come over time)

On the stream they said indirect hits that don’t go in are in fact registered and even give points.

#2522 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You don’t know this has better code than AFM. AFM is a Lyman masterpiece. Strangey Thangs is currently unfinished.

I agree AFM has one of the best codes ever full stop.

#2523 4 years ago

Game really looks like fun! Where is the projector going to be located?

#2524 4 years ago
Quoted from HC2016:

Play SW Premium also before that decision

Yep. I got SW pre a month ago and that's all I've been playing. I read some posts (here on this thread actually) put the layout down but I guess it's not for everyone but to me it's great.

I have not played SW home pin so I can not say but I bet I'd like SW pro more than the home pin.

#2525 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

On the stream they said indirect hits that don’t go in are in fact registered and even give points.

Hmmm. Will need to take a look. I did not see that but also did not pull apart game to see what/where the switch would even be. That would be cool if so, but also sad if that is already broken.

#2526 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

In the code that on our game, nothing registers unless it goes in the mouth.

#2527 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Game really looks like fun! Where is the projector going to be located?

I believe in the apron.

#2528 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Maybe it’s only on the prem LE? Or not in the code? I’ll try to find it in the vod

#2529 4 years ago

Here from deadflip stream, you can actually see there is even an animation for hitting the demigorgen and it awards points, and then after he asks if he gets points for smacking it and they say yes you do.

https://clips.twitch.tv/EnticingKathishDumplingsFailFish

#2530 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Here from deadflip stream, you can actually see there is even an animation for hitting the demigorgen and it awards points, and then after he asks if he gets points for smacking it and they say yes you do.

That is great.

#2531 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Interesting. Will have to examine.

This is a time where I really wish we had stern on here to confirm and explain where this switch is and where it is located

#2532 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also, same

#2533 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

In the stream it was definitely visible when they missed the mouth but hit the figure, it was even accompanied with a video. Might have to adjust a switch maybe.

#2534 4 years ago

or maybe they were playing unreleased code

#2535 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Right now STH Pro doesn’t have the moments that AFM has especially the demogorgon modes and the upside down, but the rules are already way more interesting than AFM. It has total annihilation but with three different tiers. It’s not the same each time. And the path to that mode is much more interesting (the 12 story modes).

I totally agree that the 90’s games are shallow by today’s standards, but AFM is well coded because it is so balanced in its scoring. There are three distinct paths to follow if you are playing in a tourney and that is pretty rare. Time will tell if STH can match the balance and scoring logic of AFM, way too early to tell IMO.

All that said, I’ll likely be selling my AFM to fund STH, in with the new and out with the old and all that.

#2536 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

or maybe they were playing unreleased code

Very possible! Either way, we know one way or another it will be registering misses and the game code can do something with that info.

#2537 4 years ago

I am pretty sure the stream code was further along than the .62 shipping code. May explain the differences.

#2538 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

In the stream it was definitely visible when they missed the mouth but hit the figure, it was even accompanied with a video. Might have to adjust a switch maybe.

Cool. They must have different code that what we’re playing. Good to know and hopefully simply bashing it can advance through the mode because currently the only thing that completes the mode is the mouth.

#2539 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Interesting. Will have to examine.
This is a time where I really wish we had stern on here to confirm and explain where this switch is and where it is located

Yeah I’m surprised stern marketing does not monitor Pinside and other social media outlets. One of the first rules of business is knowing your customer and what they are thinking. Stern can do it for free while most companies send out surveys

#2540 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

It's a deeper coded game than afm. The current code they showed yesterday demonstrated it's basically AFM..... One of the mini wizard was a play on. Total annilihation.
Oh and it has over 40 modes..... It's going to be a deeper AFM per Brian Eddy
I'll take that

Just talking about “depth” in a vacuum means nothing. It’s about how the rules, sounds, music, content, choreography, execution & overall feel that matters...how the rules gel with design. Promise of depth means nothing until you play it and feel it out. You can’t declare a new unfinished untested mostly unplaced Stern a victory over an all time classic that’s still being enjoyed today.

Quoted from dsmoke1986:

GOTG is the bomb bro. You need to check your taste level

LOL my taste level is just fine. Fake voices from bad actors are in bad taste. The layout is close enough to other games that are much better that I don’t need to force myself to like bobaleebobo...I’ll just jam on Metallica & Iron Man to get a similar but superior experience.

#2541 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Yeah I’m surprised stern marketing does not monitor Pinside and other social media outlets. One of the first rules of business is knowing your customer and what they are thinking. Stern can do it for free while most companies send out surveys

Stern monitors Pinside very closely through multiple employees per numerous insider reports over the years, they just do not participate on the site (or if they do they do not identify themselves).

#2542 4 years ago

Just from that tiny clip from the deadflip stream they are definitely playing newer code. Sweet! Hopefully it’s ready for the masses soon.

#2543 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Cool. They must have different code that what we’re playing. Good to know and hopefully simply bashing it can advance through the mode because currently the only thing that completes the mode is the mouth.

Just bashing it didn't ever complete the mode as far as I remember unless I missed that. I think it awarded points only. But there is certainly the possibility that eg 5 bash equals one center hit or something like it. Every difficulty in the ladder seemed to add 1 or two more center hits required. They never finished it when there were the 3 on the screen though.

#2544 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

A statement like this is pure ignorance and misunderstands the benchmarks on which to judge. These are “action board games” ...games live or die on play & rules. “Shallow” is a totally misguided term by those who think they know what “depth” means and think mode mass and content = depth. Almost every 90’s game has a perfect match of rules & design that complement each other & make for a perfect gameplay experience that’s fun to play over and over. If this wasn’t the case, you wouldn’t have had decades of people wanting to buy these games for their home & playing them non-stop. There’s nothing shallow about them...they’re expertly and elaborately thought out. The only games that are truly shallow are games like BTTF...which almost have nothing to do. Hit drops, lock ball, repeat, multiball, that’s it. B/W’s best? Nah. Not shallow. Ever. Anyone who would claim that is flat out wrong & using the term incorrectly....especially if they’re trying to gauge superiority of machines.

#2545 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Stern monitors Pinside very closely through multiple employees per numerous insider reports over the years, they just do not participate on the site (or if they do they do not identify themselves).

While Gary, Pat, and others may know me by name, others at Stern only know me by my Pinside avatar....
Definitely upper level team is reading, or passing on talking points.

#2546 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Just bashing it didn't ever complete the mode as far as I remember unless I missed that. I think it awarded points only. But there is certainly the possibility that eg 5 bash equals one center hit or something like it. Every difficulty in the ladder seemed to add 1 or two more center hits required. They never finished it when there were the 3 on the screen though.

Currently the mode never times out. So unless you hit it in the mouth it keeps running. So borderline impossible to get pass 2-3 of the demogorgon modes. Hopefully the new code allows the bashes to complete the mode too but make it worth less and harder to kill. Mouth is insta kill.

#2547 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Currently the mode never times out. So unless you hit it in the mouth it keeps running. So borderline impossible to get pass 2-3 of the demogorgon modes. Hopefully the new code allows the bashes to complete the mode too but make it worth less and harder to kill. Mouth is insta kill.

yes!

Also, if anyone has a chance to identify where the switch is to register the hits (but not hole shot) then please let me know.

Our game is on route and would be nice to know before I head down to look.

#2548 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

If that’s true why haven’t they offered me a job yet?! Everybody knows how much I want to move to Chicago.

#2549 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yes!
Also, if anyone has a chance to identify where the switch is to register the hits (but not hole shot) then please let me know.
Our game is on route and would be nice to know before I head down to look.

Might be just an opto behind the target bank, same thing that registers if a ball is trapped there unintentionally. I don't have a machine, so that's pure speculation.

#2550 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

can't understand the hate for this game. It has lots of shots, some challenging, it has a ruleset that looks like is quite deep. So the theme isn't perfect but it never is - most folks haven't played it?

It’s the same story every release for Stern.

You know the gig Neil.

Everybody wants a $12.5k bill of materials BOM pin for a $7500 price tag

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
15,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Cruz, CA
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mount Washington, KY
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/51 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.