IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 144.
#2451 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I wonder how hard it would be to install your own projector into a pro, and run the Premium/LE code?

Not possible. Try and run the prem/LE code on a pro and the game doesn’t work at all. I know because I’ve accidentally done it done it before. Haha

#2452 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not possible. Try and run the prem/LE code on a pro and the game doesn’t work at all. I know because I’ve accidentally done it done it before. Haha

You can still run Shrek code in Family Guy & vice versa! Games play perfectly with the other’s code...funny thing to see.

#2453 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I’m actually hoping stranger things is similar/better version of AFM so I could sell my AFMrLE for a tron or dialed in or something. I have a small collection so I often need to change things up and keep it fresh.

Lord knows I tried to help you.

#2454 4 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Any links to the previously streamed videos? I'm sure they were posted but I have a lot of catching up to do.

#2455 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Lord knows I tried to help you.

Oh I know but stranger things and rick and morty had to come before dialed in!

#2456 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

stranger things will sell like gang busters both here (the upside down) and in the real world, which pinside remains completely out of touch with.

Epic quote.

#2457 4 years ago

Interesting that a narrow body can affect the flow much. With AFM you get time to enjoy the loops and ramps more but one thing I noticed was the left loop to right ramp shot.... It goes so fast you cant really enjoy it. There are some interesting feeds about this game, but its really all about the projector. If that helps the mainstream then its been a good effort. The code and repetitive LCD images are painful at this point tho. Not sure I can see that getting better TBH.

Just like the 90s, maiden and JP2 are clear examples as to what makes a great pinball... UNIQUE PLAYFIELDS. Not bagging anyone who likes this game (never have done in the past either) but ST appears to only be about the theme and the projector.

#2458 4 years ago

I have a LE reserved and will decide to take delivery of it after I see some Prem/LE videos.

My main concerns:

1) Lonnie being the main coder. When's the last time he coded a great game?

2) Fan layout. Very much like AFM, but those layouts in my opinion do not hold well long term in a home use environment

3) Projector. Based on the Stern trailer, and even thinking about how projection looks, this is going to be very questionable. Projectors need very little ambient light to give a good picture. Dark room or not, the playfield/backglass/LCD are going to light that whole thing up. I predict many people will be disappointed with the projection quality being washed out. Just watch the trailer and especially the ramps, clearly the person playing is in a total black room. The ramps and everything looks very washed out. Picture it in a lineup in a dark room with all your other pins.

This game could have also been a great candidate for using the mag-slings like they did in Ghostbusters. Imagine during Telekenisis multiball having magnets flinging everything around, even something like how Dialed In does it.

Love the theme and am hoping I'm wrong.

#2459 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Guardians

#2460 4 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Just like the 90s, maiden and JP2 are clear examples as to what makes a great pinball... UNIQUE PLAYFIELDS.

This is not true at all. Unique playfields don’t make a great game. How many WWEs have you seen or how great is RZ?

Much better to have a copycat PF that works. Metallica, Iron Man, AFM etc. Star Trek, SM etc. are not unique. Yet they are great pins.

#2461 4 years ago

I admit I've never played that game or even research it. I'll look into it. Been out of the loop for a while.

#2462 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I admit I've never played that game or even research it. I'll look into it. Been out of the loop for a while.

It’s terrible. Not sure why it was brought up as a great game. Weird.

#2463 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

When was the last time you played it? it was very rough to start but is a fantastic game now. The stock audio isnt great but the rule set is, and with clelands sound mod it a really really good game.

#2464 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I have a LE reserved and will decide to take delivery of it after I see some Prem/LE videos.
My main concerns:
2) Fan layout. Very much like AFM, but those layouts in my opinion do not hold well long term in a home use environment
3) Projector. Based on the Stern trailer, and even thinking about how projection looks, this is going to be very questionable. Projectors need very little ambient light to give a good picture. Dark room or not, the playfield/backglass/LCD are going to light that whole thing up. I predict many people will be disappointed with the projection quality being washed out. Just watch the trailer and especially the ramps, clearly the person playing is in a total black room. The ramps and everything looks very washed out. Picture it in a lineup in a dark room with all your other pins.
This game could have also been a great candidate for using the mag-slings like they did in Ghostbusters. Imagine during Telekenisis multiball having magnets flinging everything around, even something like how Dialed In does it.
Love the theme and am hoping I'm wrong.

You do realize None of your listed concerns will be erased with a Prem/LE video so why are you still interested? Such a confusing justification.

#2465 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

When was the last time you played it? it was very rough to start but is a fantastic game now. The stock audio isnt great but the rule set is, and with clelands sound mod it a really really good game.

It's terrible. The code is awful. It is so uninspired mash up of shoot the lit shots with movie clips. So bad.

#2466 4 years ago

I thought Tim was responsible for fixing that one?

#2467 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Eh, I actually much prefer plastic ramps. Give me some ToM plastic ramp goodness all day!

You make a great point, however you got what you paid for then though right? I don’t feel like we are getting what we are paying for with some of these Stern games that are coming out today. I was excited about stranger things and between photos and video stream the game just does not scream $6-$9k. I got rid of Elvira for the same reason bought it like a fool because I’m an LE buyer and love Elvira. When it arrived and I started getting plays in I was disappointed in how plain it was. Maybe once I get to play Stranger Things in the wild Ill change my mind and buy it used.

#2468 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

It's terrible. The code is awful. It is so uninspired mash up of shoot the lit shots with movie clips. So bad.

Should be plenty for sale in the marketplace at bargain prices if this were true, you hardly see them come up for sale.

#2469 4 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

You make a great point, however you got what you paid for then though right? I don’t feel like we are getting what we are paying for with some of these Stern games that are coming out today. I was excited about stranger things and between photos and video stream the game just does not scream $6-$9k. I got rid of Elvira for the same reason bought it like a fool because I’m an LE buyer and love Elvira. When it arrived and I started getting plays in I was disappointed in how plain it was. Maybe once I get to play Stranger Things in the wild Ill change my mind and buy it used.

It's fair to look at the Pro version of this game and think...”that’s it?” I had the same reaction to GoT and BKSOR Pros. Both fun, but not a lot there. This game doesn’t even have any of Stern’s infamous flat plastic standup figures.

Do we all remember how they cheaped out on having a throne in a machine called Game of THRONES? They had to be shamed into adding it to the Pro.

It’s worth criticizing them on fair points.

#2470 4 years ago

I wonder how soon LE will be on the line since stern said they’ve been making pros for weeks now.

#2471 4 years ago

Here's a mod idea for the pro. Textured/molded Hawkins lab clip ons for each side of the projector area, could light up or be interactive as well.

#2472 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I don’t know - but when I played it, it was just a bunch of disconnected modes with horrible bobaleebobo voices. Did Cleland hire Bradley Cooper to redo the custom callouts?

#2473 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You do realize None of your listed concerns will be erased with a Prem/LE video so why are you still interested? Such a confusing justification.

A video of how the projector looks either washed out or not, and the people commenting on how it looks in person. That's the main concern I guess, I just read that Lonnie is being helped by a team rather then himself, so that gives promise on the code.

Interesting thing it was mentioned Guardians been a good game with Lonnie code. I also just looked up who designed that and it's a Borg design. So maybe it takes a Borg designed playfield to improve Lonnie's code.. hopefully it all comes together with Brian Eddy's playfield design and experience. With that said, I feel it can be cleared up in a video as gameplay of the LE may feature newer code.

#2474 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I also just looked up who designed that and it's a Borg design. So maybe it takes a Borg designed playfield to improve Lonnie's code..

Apparently it takes other people bailing him out on code.

#2475 4 years ago

I think the best thing to come from stranger things pinball is RobT , kpg , and even Rarehero are back! Lol

#2476 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think the best thing to come from stranger things pinball is robt , kpg , and even rarehero are back! Lol

I think Rare came back for Rick & Morty

#2477 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm interested enough in this theme that it got me to sign in to Pinside.

Hi Rob,
It’s good to see you back!

#2478 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Quoted from Deez:

You guys need to play GOTG with the latest code a lot got added since the start. Modes have changed got cherry bomb multiball. Especially try it with the cleland code the music he added makes the game kick ass.

#2479 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think the best thing to come from stranger things pinball is robt , kpg , and even rarehero are back! Lol

So glad to see you guys back!

#2480 4 years ago

Looks like a really fun game even though Ive never seen the show...

#2481 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I thought Tim was responsible for fixing that one?

I was gonna send you help until you reported/tattled on me. LOL

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Only the first two. The other one? Was he gone?

#2482 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

You guys need to play GOTG with the latest code a lot got added since the start. Modes have changed got cherry bomb multiball. Especially try it with the cleland code the music he added makes the game kick ass.

Was it a total rewrite? What made it better? I really hated how you picked modes at ball launch...I like a little build up and gameplay before I start an event - that’s far more satisfying. Are modes still a video clip that plays independently while you shoot colored lights? Whether it’s bad acting or Cleland’s replacements, unless the modes actually feel satisfying to shoot with your shots actually doing something, I can’t imagine it being much better than it was.

#2483 4 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

Why TF does stern keep going with there plastic ramps!?! Is it really that much more of a price hike to put those in?? If that’s the case then find a cheap license and go all in on everything else. You could justify that kind of money if they just blew it out of the park with what the designers really want the games to be.. I can’t imagine these legend designers being OK with these thin games.

I'm with ya. I refuse to buy a game at these astronomical prices that have plastic ramps with plastic ball returns. I understand making the ramp entrance and first 1/3 of it plastic (common) but not the entire ramp. Metal habit rails could have been used on Stranger Things premium / LE and still preserved the projector feature. This is simply yet another cost cutting move.

The first thing my cousin (a fellow pinball fan) said to me tonight at a Christmas party about Stranger Things is why in the hell did Stern put plastic ramps on the game.

#2484 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Lol !!! Stern knows what they're doing with the theme that's for sure.

The thing about Stranger Things pinball is let's be totally honest:

1) Is it going to be a Top 10 pin? Absolutely not.

2) Is the playfield sparse and not nearly as cool as recent Keith Elwin game? F**k no.

3) Is the code going to hold a candle to anything Lyman can do? Hahahah c'mon

I think we all know that going into this.

But in all honesty, themes matter in pinball. My kids won't touch my existing machines except for Metallica, rarely anything else I've owned. Same with my wife.

But when they heard there's a Stranger Things pinball? They couldn't care less about Lonnie code or sparse playfield this and that.

It's.A.Stranger.Things.Pinball and they want it. Outside of us diehards looking for the next Top 10 pin, there's others who just find amusement with the fact they can relate to the sounds, music, and recognizable names of modes and crap like that. Makes it fun for those who aren't pinnerds like us and that's why I want it

#2485 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

This is not true at all. Unique playfields don’t make a great game. How many WWEs have you seen or how great is RZ?
Much better to have a copycat PF that works. Metallica, Iron Man, AFM etc. Star Trek, SM etc. are not unique. Yet they are great pins.

Couldnt disagree more. MET, IM, ST, SM are you kidding me? Its the theme that people like rather than them being great playfields. Sure WWE was a flop but the best games ever made were in the 90s where every game was diff. Your effectively saying the TAF, WCS, BSD, WH20, CFTBL etc etc etc would be just as good if they were on the standard MM/AFM/MB fan layout... You can stick with your slack copycat lack of innovation playfields and l'll go with a design that is innovative and unique to the game.

The "main" reason that JP and Maiden are top 10 is due to the playfield. Those games clearly would not be as good if they were on the met/im/tf/st/sm etc etc layout.

#2486 4 years ago

Does the Prem or LE have metal wire forms/ramps (Like STLE)? I hate plastic

#2487 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Does the Prem or LE have metal wire forms/ramps (Like STLE)? I hate plastic

Nope

#2488 4 years ago

the only positive aspect of a plastic ramp is that the balls last longer (won’t scuff as much as on metal ramps/returns). Having said that, give me metal ramps all day every day.

#2489 4 years ago

Just can’t stop thinking
“ shoot the orchid “
“ shoot the orchid”

87A2E0C7-20BE-4974-BF10-CB5D68BC2A13 (resized).png87A2E0C7-20BE-4974-BF10-CB5D68BC2A13 (resized).pngA36B122B-CD95-485F-AADF-703338FDB8CC (resized).pngA36B122B-CD95-485F-AADF-703338FDB8CC (resized).png
#2490 4 years ago

Might get scolded for this, but it’s out of this pin or the SW Home Pin. I’ve played the SW Home Pin and loved it. But I gotta play this first before a decision is made.

#2491 4 years ago
AE2DD578-42A7-4F2C-87E5-B4C1A904F551 (resized).pngAE2DD578-42A7-4F2C-87E5-B4C1A904F551 (resized).png
#2492 4 years ago

So just got done hosting a killer Christmas Eve party (best time of the year - Merry Christmas pinside) and I'm catching up on this absolute disaster of a thread. Holy shit. What a mess. Here's the deal.... Coming from a guy buying Stranger Things and Rick and Morty.....

- it's so obvious why this game is getting a ton of shit. The layout is not innovative. It's rinse and repeat afm.

- the projector is going to disappoint. Stern knows it and doesn't even know how to stream it. If they did it wouldn't have been the pro to kick it off. Ultimately it shows video on another screen while you already have video on the lcd. It doesn't change the way it shoots like DP what so ever. Oh and it looks like shit when it's off.

- here's why it's going to be awesome (I'm in on a pro and a huge fan of the show)..... It's AFM meets stranger things WITH better code.

Done.

#2493 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

- here's why it's going to be awesome (I'm in on a pro and a huge fan of the show)..... It's AFM meets stranger things WITH better code.

You don’t know this has better code than AFM. AFM is a Lyman masterpiece. Strangey Thangs is currently unfinished.

#2494 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You don’t know this has better code than AFM. AFM is a Lyman masterpiece. Strangey Thangs is currently unfinished.

It's a deeper coded game than afm. The current code they showed yesterday demonstrated it's basically AFM..... One of the mini wizard was a play on. Total annilihation.

Oh and it has over 40 modes..... It's going to be a deeper AFM per Brian Eddy

I'll take that

#2495 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

GOTG is the bomb bro. You need to check your taste level

#2496 4 years ago
Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Might get scolded for this, but it’s out of this pin or the SW Home Pin. I’ve played the SW Home Pin and loved it. But I gotta play this first before a decision is made.

Play SW Premium also before that decision

#2497 4 years ago

It’s worth noting this projector thingy could end up being an expensive lesson....big investment in a pin with a innovative feature someone may have dreamt up over a crate of beer
Buyers will be the unpaid field bench testers
I see it now, dedicated forum setup for Premium/LE Stranger Things buyers constantly fcuking around with the projector........
Not like Stern will help you out based on recent form, customers service response will get crickets...and they’ll be 5 machines later down the production line.
Good luck gents

#2498 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

This projector thingy could be an expensive lesson....big investment in a pin with a innovative feature someone dreamt up over a crate of beer
Buyers will be the unpaid field bench testers
I see it now, dedicated forum setup for Premium/LE Stranger Things buyers constantly fcuking around with the projector........
Not like Stern will help you out, customers service response will get crickets...and they’ll be 5 machines later down the production line.
Good luck gents

What are you taking about? I called them Monday about a 13 yr old machine of theirs and they were very willing to help.

#2499 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

What are you taking about? I called them Monday about a 13 yr old machine of theirs and they were very willing to help.

Selective help I guess.
Funny how they are willing to help you and your 13 year old pin but won’t help people with new Pins.
Get yourself over to the ongoing playfield issue forum.

#2500 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Selective help I guess.
Funny how they are willing to help you and your 13 year old pin but won’t help people with almost new Pins.
Get yourself over to the ongoing playfield issue forum.

I am also someone with a not so perfect JP playfield. And yes, not so much dialogue about that getting fixed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Lutherville-timonium, MD
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/50?hl=potatoloco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.