IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 144.
#2301 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I’m sure it will be fun, but it looks like Eddy threw this layout together in about 5 minutes. Uninspired.

Brian said in the Stern podcast interview that he wanted his first game back in pinball to be a nod to his 90's games. I don't think that's a bad thing. I bet his second Stern game is different.

#2302 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Brian said in the Stern podcast interview that he wanted his first game back in pinball to be a nod to his 90's games. I don't think that's a bad thing. I bet his second Stern game is different.

This is very typical of designers getting back in the game.

Nordman’s POTC was reminiscent of dr dude.

T3 was similar to t2.

RAZA / magic girl complete fucking messes like most jpop stuff.

It’s natural that these guys want to return in their comfort zone.

#2303 4 years ago

Nothing surprises me when it comes to pinball and pinside, and clearly everyone has the right to dislike something and change their mind, but it really is interesting to see guys in on an LE change their mind after watching one stream of a pro.

#2304 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Rick & Morty 1. Stranger Things 0

Careful Tom, stop "trolling".

#2305 4 years ago

Stern has been making some fantastic non-fan layout games lately....Batman 66, Ghostbusters, Beatles, Jurassic Park, Deadpool, Iron Maiden, etc.

-What if they just made non-fan based layouts? That would get old quick

-C'mon
Come On!.jpgCome On!.jpg

#2306 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not really priced better Rick. And how do you see RM as "fun" from a 60 second video clip?
It might end up being fun but hey, pricing on RM is right there with Stern now. Shipping and add ons

All valid points Amigo. I’m a fan of RaM, so passion for theme comes into play, although I can see the callouts getting old.

Also a fan of STrT, I’m hoping my anger towards Stern on the Playfield-gate isn’t clouding my judgement, but it probably is. Yet another price increase doesn’t help.

#2307 4 years ago

Not sure what the consensus is for the abbreviation of Stranger Things is but ST I am devoting to Star Trek, so I have chosen SRT.

#2308 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

All valid points Amigo. I’m a fan of RaM, so passion for theme comes into play, although I can see the callouts getting old.
Also a fan of STrT, I’m hoping my anger towards Stern on the Playfield-gate isn’t clouding my judgement, but it probably is. Yet another price increase doesn’t help.

I get your anger towards Stern Rick. Let it out brother! At least you don't whine and cry and report me for "trolling" if i make a few observations on the RM pinball machine that represent my opinions.

We are just discussing differences in the games here. That is what a discussion forum is regardless how some want to characterize it.

#2309 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Not sure what the consensus is for the abbreviation of Stranger Things is but ST I am devoting to Star Trek, so I have chosen SRT.

There are currently 87 different abbreviations for this game. Well, 88 now with yours.

#2310 4 years ago

FOMO going down big with all these new pins RIGHT NOW. i'll pass on everything, wait a year or 2 and consider buying 1 of probably 6 new pinball machines available.

#2311 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

FOMO going down big with all these new pins RIGHT NOW. i'll pass on everything, wait a year or 2 and consider buying 1 of probably 6 new pinball machines available.

Of course the smartest way to go here!

#2312 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Rick & Morty 1. Stranger Things 0

Yep, that 60 second video said it all didn't it! TNA #2?

#2313 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is very typical of designers getting back in the game.
Nordman’s POTC was reminiscent of dr dude.
T3 was similar to t2.
It’s natural that these guys want to return in their comfort zone.

Exactly.

Imagine he he had tried something completely different and it ended up being a clunkfest.

Pinside - OMG Eddy has lost it!

The one thing no one has to worry about on this game is how it shoots.

#2314 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

With Stern, it isn't really the FOMO. There isn't a rush on Stern LE models anymore since they priced the flippers out of range. More just like the "gotta have the new shiny" pinball.

#2315 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I don't understand why some people have to turn this into a Playstation vs Xbox style fanboy talk like my 10 year old. It's ok to like both, or not like them at all.

SEGA wins it anyway!!!

#2316 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You sound slightly biased.

#2317 4 years ago

Not sure what I was expecting but def let down. Hearing eddy explain the Pro and the 5 features. Drop targets, a ball lock, center bash toy, etc. just seemed very uninspiring especially for 6 k. From a dollar standpoint you can get tons of great games for a lot less

#2318 4 years ago

Why are so many people down on this pin? Honest question. I'm not calling it the best Stern ever but it's far, far from their worst. It's Brian Eddy and some similarities to what many consider the two greatest classic pins from 90s. It has some interesting new features and pro looks to play almost exactly same as premium. Looks like a fun shooter without cheap drains, pf design flaws, and stupid tight shots. It's Stranger Things. Immersion looks better than average and it's not like you get hillbilly callouts, walmart toys on springs, clip art animations, and terrible pf art. Price has gone up but big surprise. Pinball is expensive and everyone else still charges more. Price will go up again in the future. Makes no difference you bought WWE for $500 a few months ago. We all know Stern has had quality issues in the past. That didn't stop JP from being a great pin. Great thing is you don' have to buy one. I'm not and it's great. I look forward to playing one since I enjoy Stranger Things, Brian Eddy games, and most Stern pins.

#2319 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Why are so many people down on this pin? Honest question.

You can please some of the Pinside all of the time, you can please all of the Pinside some of the time... but you can’t please all of the Pinside all of the time.

#2320 4 years ago
Quoted from CyberNinja24:

Nothing surprises me when it comes to pinball and pinside, and clearly everyone has the right to dislike something and change their mind, but it really is interesting to see guys in on an LE change their mind after watching one stream of a pro.

Not at all. You are betting 9k on a stream. If it doesn't capture you, why would you drop 9k? It makes more sense than just buying it anyway. It will be around, buy it later after you've played it.

#2321 4 years ago

This is a premium/LE game in my opinion.

If you listened to the podcast it's clear he started with a vision/desire to be able to "change" the playfield and immerse the player in the different settings of the ST things world...Hawkins lab, the school, the quarry, Will's house, the basement, etc...

He's also proud of the magnetic ball lock that can hold balls indefinitely. The demogorgan also shakes in the premium/LE.

Eddy is obviously known for mechs/toys. I don't think he's a pro designer kind of guy.

I also agree with @crazylevi. He's returning to roots for his first game...that was intentional. I bet his next game is different.

I'm getting an LE. I look for 3 to 4 cool things in a pin.

- This has the demogorgan toy, which is a way above average overall feature in my opinion, with the drops, saucer, ramp coming down, shooting it in his mouth, and movement.

- Projector. Will likely make or break this pin.

- Magnetic ball lock.

Other than those main features, the game has 4 ramps, 9 ball paths counting the demogorgan shot, custom callouts, assets from the show, main music theme from the show, And a nice art package.

I like fan layouts. I like non fan layouts. I like fun and variety. Every game shoots and feels different. MM feels different from AFM when I shoot it, and I love both and both are keepers for me. If you don't like fan layouts that's cool...we all don't have to like the same things.

I also love TZ, Congo, IMDN, JP2, Tron, TWD, WW, CFTBL, etc..

#2322 4 years ago

I’m in on the LE as well.

You’re telling me we’re getting stranger things theme that shoots similar to AFM with a few cool new things?

Mmmmm, that sounds good.
I’ll have that.

#2323 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

If you listened to the podcast it's clear he started with a vision/desire to be able to "change" the playfield and immerse the player in the different settings of the ST things world...Hawkins lab, the school, the quarry, Will's house, the basement, etc...
He's also proud of the magnetic ball lock that can hold balls indefinitely. The demogorgan also shakes in the premium/LE.
Eddy is obviously known for mechs/toys. I don't think he's a pro designer kind of guy.
I also agree with crazylevi. He's returning to roots for his first game...that was intentional. I bet his next game is different.
I'm getting an LE. I look for 3 to 4 cool things in a pin.
- This has the demogorgan toy, which is a way above average overall feature in my opinion, with the drops, saucer, ramp coming down, shooting it in his mouth, and movement.
- Projector. Will likely make or break this pin.
- Magnetic ball lock.
Other than those main features, the game has 4 ramps, custom callouts, assets from the show, main music them from the show...
I like fan layouts. I like non fan layouts. I like fun and variety. Every game shoots and feels different. MM feels different from AFM when I shoot it, and I love both and both are keepers for me. If you don't like fan layouts that's cool...we all don't have to like the same things.
I also love TZ, Congo, IMDN, JP2, Tron, TWD, WW, CFTBL, etc..

That about sums it up perfectly.

Stern is sometimes a victim of their own success. They hire Elwin and Eddy and Elwin pops out two great games, one being one of the best games ever in JP. Ritchie, Borg and Gomez. Behind the scenes video, coding and marketing talent.

I too buy games from everybody, CGC, AP, Pinball Brothers (Alien), Spooky and have a Deeproot game paid for via jpop.

Choice is a great thing and its the best of times right now for pinball across the board.

#2324 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That about sums it up perfectly.
Stern is sometimes a victim of their own success. They hire Elwin and Eddy and Elwin pops out two great games, one being one of the best games ever in JP. Ritchie, Borg and Gomez. Behind the scenes video, coding and marketing talent.
I too buy games from everybody, CGC, AP, Pinball Brothers (Alien), Spooky and have a Deeproot game paid for via jpop.
Choice is a great thing and its the best of times right now for pinball across the board.

We should start a pool on which designers Stern sheds first when the economy explodes...

#2325 4 years ago

Regarding the killing the demogorgon being a bit of a non-event - I agree.

I'm sure there is a lot they can do with lighting and sound on the Pro. Also, on the Prem/LE recall that there will be "power actuated shaking" so that hopefully helps a lot.

That said, would have been cool if they took a nod from MM and had the demogorgon fell apart when you killed it... (then got put back together when the screen was back up).. or else have screen pop up in front of the demogorgon that twinkles with lighting to look like the pixelation and falling apart that is happening on the screen.

#2326 4 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

That said, would have been cool if they took a nod from MM and had the demogorgon fell apart when you killed it... (then got put back together when the screen was back up).. or else have screen pop up in front of the demogorgon that twinkles with lighting to look like the pixelation and falling apart that is happening on the screen.

Maybe the projector can add some cool effects to sell it.

#2327 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

We should start a pool on which designers Stern sheds first when the economy explodes...

We can wait another 5 years or so for that poll! #nottiredofwinningyet

I just bought a Super Chexx hockey game and SRTLE for my xmas presents. Told my wife and kids, this what you got for me. LOL

Like RockyTop said, this is a "premium/LE" game for the projector, magnetic ball locks and active Demogorgan. Pro is not the way to go imo.

#2328 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

We can wait another 5 years or so for that poll! #nottiredofwinningyet
I just bought a Super Chexx hockey game and SRTLE for my xmas presents. Told my wife and kids, this what you got for me. LOL

Same, hoping the good times keep rolling for much longer!

#2329 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Im too ignorant to discuss code, and this may have been pointed out many times. Specifically when I noticed actually video clips from the show I heard absolutely no sound. Is this on purpose, early code, etc? I know every game is different, but from your guys experience, should there be audio during these types of situations?
I know this may be a really dumb question, but i truly dont know. I absolutely LOVE what I have seen regarding the actual physical shots, physical machine, even artwork, it just truly seems like beta software in terms of integration, but again, I am certainly not educated enough to discuss code.

I noticed that as well, and was really concerned about it since I was on board to make a purchase

#2330 4 years ago

There was voice on some of the clips. They also talked about how voice was being cutoff on some and would be addressed.

#2331 4 years ago

Anyone else get irritated by the sound of the multiball music on last nights stream. It’s the same 8 bars/measures over and over and over. I feel like it’s a 80’s pin on loop... I don’t think the sound on this game is promising. The music also seems very lack luster (besides the main theme song of course) today I was playing some TNA and I could literally just sit there and listen and not even play. Or pirates jjp Mode music. Same thing. Trap up and just listen to the amazing work done. It’s seems like stern took music from an online database and dragged and dropped (example) dead pool pop bumper generic downloaded online sound) I hope this is just because of early code. Side not while I’m ranting, I feel like the jackpot callouts are super lame. Eddy Games are known for some of the best callouts in history. Stranger things missed that boat.

Overall. I like the game, not sure it a NIB purchase for me yet. Premium stream will help determine that I’m sure.

#2332 4 years ago

^The jackpot callout kinda got old after a bit.

#2333 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

Anyone else get irritated by the sound of the multiball music on last nights stream. It’s the same 8 bars/measures over and over and over. I feel like it’s a 80’s pin on loop... I don’t think the sound on this game is promising. The music also seems very lack luster (besides the main theme song of course) today I was playing some TNA and I could literally just sit there and listen and not even play. Or pirates jjp Mode music. Same thing. Trap up and just listen to the amazing work done. It’s seems like stern took music from an online database and dragged and dropped (example) dead pool pop bumper generic downloaded online sound) I hope this is just because of early code. Side not while I’m ranting, I feel like the jackpot callouts are super lame. Eddy Games are known for some of the best callouts in history. Stranger things missed that boat.
Overall. I like the game, not sure it a NIB purchase for me yet. Premium stream will help determine that I’m sure.

I think due to the very early code most of the sound/music is still very early and placeholders. That can all be fixed eventually. Same with the lighting. One of the things that stood out to many was the lack of any visual indication you were in upside down. We are crossing fingers, this is all just due to code not being ready.

#2334 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think due to the very early code most of the sound/music is still very early and placeholders. That can all be fixed eventually. Same with the lighting. One of the things that stood out to many was the lack of any visual indication you were in upside down. We are crossing fingers, this is all just due to code not being ready.

When you enter the Upside Down, all the shots go dark except for the Upside Down shots. The game seems to get darker also. You know.

#2335 4 years ago

With all this code talk, will the anticipated code update be the long wait that we GB owners had to endure? Who's taking the over/under on this?

#2336 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Troy has way more grey.

im natural, you use Grecian formula

#2337 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

My comment from the angle of someone who reveled in the 80's but could not get into the Netflix st series.
The stream was well presented and the game looks fine ! Thanks Jack Danger for another great stream ( Took you a little while to get warmed up ; ) )
Super impressed with a Very solid effort for a Stern Pro , IMHO the best Stern Pro to date.
I think when Prem/LE is revealed and code is advanced many pinheads will be blown away !
My most positive comment would be that the designer and team has created Atmosphere/Ambience achieved through Art, Audio and Video, this is a huge step forward and something that makes a pinball machine special.
Bottom line
Too early to judge the package, code is a work in progress.
Congrats Team Stern, Awesome effort !

I think your right, how many great sterns started off with these same mixed reviews. DP and TWD did and both are great.

#2338 4 years ago

I don’t think the direct audio of the stream is a fair representation. When you’re playing the game in person, even if the sound is cranked, you can’t hear most of these annoyances people are having.

#2339 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

When you enter the Upside Down, all the shots go dark except for the Upside Down shots. The game seems to get darker also. You know.

I bet the projector takes care of the ash effect too.

#2340 4 years ago

I agree and hope the projection mapping would be added to the demogorgon.
It could have had its mouth animated....open, closed, attack...hell we had Rudy ages ago.
The balls hitting his body would project differently then the head, and this would make it a target
that would be a damn joy to battle.

#2341 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

JEEEZ, thought I was being cranky. It was just 2008 man, too soon.

3BAA1AD3-4A80-4FA8-8E77-F5BFBDAE1572.gif3BAA1AD3-4A80-4FA8-8E77-F5BFBDAE1572.gif
#2342 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

JEEEZ, thought I was being cranky. It was just 2008 man, too soon.[quoted image]

At this point, I'm good with an Elwin and a Borg...

#2343 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I am excited to play the premium/LE version of this game. Something tells me the projected content across a variety of targets and the "screen" will immerse you into the theme a lot more.

This game was clearly designed as a Prem/LE first, and I bet that’ll reflect in the code. This pro seemed to be lacking personality...every time they shot one of the kid shots, there was a still graphic & info...but no clip or callout. I bet you that on the Prem/LE, that same graphic/info will be on the LCD while an actual show clip of the boys doing/saying something will play on the projected screen.

#2344 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

Anyone else get irritated by the sound of the multiball music on last nights stream. It’s the same 8 bars/measures over and over and over. I feel like it’s a 80’s pin on loop... I don’t think the sound on this game is promising. The music also seems very lack luster (besides the main theme song of course)

This is very typical of Ken Hale’s pinball music. It’s almost always very boring & lacks that pinball energy and punch.

#2345 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This is very typical of Ken Hale’s pinball music. It’s almost always very boring & lacks that pinball energy and punch.

What happened to Jerry Thompson? He had been killing it with the recent games.

#2346 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Absolutely. Some pins translate fine to a Pro when features are changed and cut...JP’s T-Rex doesn’t move, but it’s still a big ass T-Rex. In this case, the screen, which is fundamentally required for this new projection effect, is just a giant wall with a sticker. A wall with a sticker is an embarrassingly odd thing to have in a pinball machine. I’m shocked so many people here seem cool with it. Has it not been a result of having to alter a Prem toy, no game would ever be designed with a sticker wall.

#2347 4 years ago

Thanks to everyone for hanging out with us last night!
Here are the VODs from last night.
We also hit a pretty big milestone... our show has been see over 4 MILLION times!
<3 <3 Thanks for the support, Pinheads

TWITCH: (if you like to see the live chat)
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/525565847

YOUTUBE:

#2348 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

One really cool thing I think Stern deserves credit for is arranging to be able to have the game ON LOCATION ready to play the day they announce. I love that. So awesome to see the reveal of a product and be able to play it same day. Kudos for that.

yes but at code 0.62. not really ready. a box of lights basically.

#2349 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

yes but at code 0.62. not really ready. a box of lights basically.

I wouldn't call it that, but yes it is not done. Watch the stream. Far from a box of lights.

#2350 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I wouldn't call it that, but yes it is not done. Watch the stream. Far from a box of lights.

True, hardly any light show at all. But it does have BALLS IN HOLES!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Covington, LA
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/47?hl=toppers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.