IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 144.
#2251 4 years ago

Im too ignorant to discuss code, and this may have been pointed out many times. Specifically when I noticed actually video clips from the show I heard absolutely no sound. Is this on purpose, early code, etc? I know every game is different, but from your guys experience, should there be audio during these types of situations?

I know this may be a really dumb question, but i truly dont know. I absolutely LOVE what I have seen regarding the actual physical shots, physical machine, even artwork, it just truly seems like beta software in terms of integration, but again, I am certainly not educated enough to discuss code.

#2252 4 years ago

Code aside played it today and loved it. May look like AFM or MM but doesn’t shoot or play like it. Ordered an LE

D014A6A0-5531-4C5D-ADC1-BD0D183CBE7C (resized).jpegD014A6A0-5531-4C5D-ADC1-BD0D183CBE7C (resized).jpeg
#2253 4 years ago

Looks ok, not great. Not feeling any Brian Eddy vibes on it.

Price increases, yet again? Whatever. Already bloated cash grabs.

Pf issues fixed? How many node boards on this one? Next gen nodes?

At this point I’m not even asking what’s next from Stern. They’re following, not leading the market like usual and rushing product. RaM looks fun and is priced better.

I KNOW MMR and AFMR are Eddy greats, no pf delams, no board issues with CGC.

JJP? They still making more than 10 pins a year at what feels like 200 grand a pop to me with their own pf failures?

Only pin I got excited about are CGC remakes and Spooky.

#2254 4 years ago

If you are getting this game, some type of anti-glare glass (I prefer Roman/PDI, but they all are decent) is an absolute must. The purple GI makes for a nasty glare.

#2255 4 years ago

Eddy summed it up nicely on steam.

If you like TS, AFM and MM then chances are you will like this game.

If you like Stranger Things even better.

Despite what a few on here say, this will be a huge seller for Stern.

Just hope Lonnie finishes the code.

#2256 4 years ago

Rick & Morty 1. Stranger Things 0

#2257 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

If they just said just Lonnie was on it, I'd agree. But after playing and also listening to Mike V and Brian Eddy on the stream talk about the rules, I think this game is in good hands. All three of them are contributing, and lots to do already on .62 or .64. I wouldn't be surprised to see substantial improvements by CES next month.

#2258 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Eddy summed it up nicely on steam.
If you like TS, AFM and MM then chances are you will like this game.
If you like Stranger Things even better.
Despite what a few on here say, this will be a huge seller for Stern.

There is just so much more on TS, AFM, MM than Stranger Things IMHO. Maybe Stranger Things will shot great but there is a lot more “stuff” on the playfields in TS, AFM and MM than Stranger Things.

#2259 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:Rick & Morty 1. Stranger Things 0

This. ^^^^^^^

#2260 4 years ago

Fingers crossed for a Mrs Wheeler mode.

mrswheeler-strangerthings (resized).jpgmrswheeler-strangerthings (resized).jpg
#2261 4 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Better mylar that middle ramp. Remember how beat up NGG got from moving ramp.
I really like the PF art. I do not mind shot map as I really enjoyed AFM. but the middle ramp with demigorgan behind it is a little funky looking IMO.

They added Mylar. First thing I thought of as well.

#2262 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Fingers crossed for a Mrs Wheeler mode.[quoted image]

Nope. Seasons 1 and 2 only.

#2263 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Nope. Seasons 1 and 2 only.

#2264 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

That Pro translight looks hideous!
-Someone will need to make a cool alternative one

If it was up to me I would go for something like this .

IMG_20191224_232155 (resized).jpgIMG_20191224_232155 (resized).jpg
#2265 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

You getting one, Pinmister?

I am interested for sure but call me crazy- I want to play it first, and want to see the Premium/LE in action in person. I have a feeling the upside down mode will be awesome with the projector. I am impressed with what I see so far, it looks like a fun game. BTW-looking forward to coming down and playing your R & M when you get it.

#2266 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

If it was up to me I would go for something like this .

That's what I am talking about-looks good.

#2267 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

From what I have seen yes,
Lets give it a few months, Im not a Stranger Things fan but think this will Slay other Stern Pro's
The delivery and atmosphere is exceptional for such early code, and this is only judging from video.
Perhaps we need to actually step up to the machine ?

IMDN Pro is a very fine pin Sir

#2268 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am interested for sure but call me crazy- I want to play it first, and want to see the Premium/LE in action in person. I have a feeling the upside down mode will be awesome with the projector. I am impressed with what I see so far, it looks like a fun game. BTW-looking forward to coming down and playing your R & M when you get it.

I am excited to play the premium/LE version of this game. Something tells me the projected content across a variety of targets and the "screen" will immerse you into the theme a lot more.

#2269 4 years ago

Meh. If the 35 dollar telekinesis magnet was on the pro I would have ordered. Now I don’t feel the premium is worth my shekels. I can see a code update with more sounds, video, voices helping the pro.

#2270 4 years ago

How is it that people that have not even played Rick and Morty (which is almost everybody) say that it is “better” than Stranger Things or any other game when people that have actually played these other games say they are fun? Your nut-huggery for Spooky and your hatred for Stern is showing.

I do not like the Stranger Things show but the pin looks interesting. I love Rick and Morty but the pin looks blah. This is why we should actually try things to actually make an opinion first. I look forward in trying both.

And speaking of actually playing games, got to play premiums of both Elvira and JP2. Both are really fun. JP2 is a masterpiece, but don’t sleep on Elvira. It is actually a lot of fun and shoots well.

#2271 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Something tells me the projected content across a variety of targets and the "screen" will immerse you into the theme a lot more.

To this day I am still impressed with Klingon multi-ball laser mode on Star Trek and I really am happy I choose the LE version of that title. The projector on SRT should make it really pop, especially with upside down debree flakes flying in the air.

#2272 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

If it was up to me I would go for something like this .[quoted image]

Exactly! With lightning flashers in the clouds

#2273 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

looks like a nice game. Nice the way the designer Mr. Eddy has kept lots of his signature elements.

Totally guessing but I think Stern hired Brian Eddy so that they could have a game with the same ideas that made AFM and MM so incredibly popular. AFM is one of the great multiballs in pinball history and this game seems to have that same feeling. Graphics on the display look clean, stylized and clear/easy to understand.

I think this game has real promise for home/location but way too long playing for competition.

#2274 4 years ago

Few observations, over all I liked it. I think Stern was thinking “Location” for this game, so I don’t believe it was made for us. This should do very well with operators.

Pro Positives
1.Game is fast and has great flow
2.Fantastic sounds, dark, scary and really immersive
3.Love the colors of the game, very 80’s, art showcases the theme well
4.Assets seem to be there

Pro Negatives
1.Price hike.........will this ever end?
2.This is a premium/LE game, I would not buy a pro. That projector is everything.
3.Although I don’t think the layout is bad, I expected more from Brian because frankly he was one of the best.

#2275 4 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Hmmm.. the theme integration is way worse than I anticipated. The clips do nothing to enhance the game, the call outs (what very very little there currently are) sound really unenthusiastic and uninspired. No funny moments being presented, just random stuff with almost no sounds from the show. Upside down mode that last a few seconds and doesn't really do anything interesting. The middle shot which takes forever to get to only lasts a couple shots to complete with very little payoff. Just bizarre implementation. On the positive, this is mostly code related stuff, so it COULD be fixed. The shots look really good, fun and satisfying. Very smooth. But if the code isn't there, we may have another Munster's on our hands, sadly. Either way, seems like status quo for Stern, for what it's worth.

Nothing happens when you make the demogorgon shot, the ramp simply closes. No exploding castle, no flying saucer flashing lights etc. The ramp just closes. Not rewarding at all.

#2276 4 years ago

One really cool thing I think Stern deserves credit for is arranging to be able to have the game ON LOCATION ready to play the day they announce. I love that. So awesome to see the reveal of a product and be able to play it same day. Kudos for that.

#2277 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Rick & Morty 1. Stranger Things 0

It would be interesting to see which people posting negative comments on Stranger Things also have a place in line for Rick and Morty.

#2278 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

It would be interesting to see which people posting negative comments on Stranger Things also have a place in line for Rick and Morty.

I don't understand why some people have to turn this into a Playstation vs Xbox style fanboy talk like my 10 year old. It's ok to like both, or not like them at all.

#2279 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

To this day I am still impressed with Klingon multi-ball laser mode on Star Trek and I really am happy I choose the LE version of that title. The projector on SRT should make it really pop, especially with upside down debree flakes flying in the air.

Have you checked out the updated laser?

http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/modifications-bolt-on-mods-star-trek-laser-upgrade-p-40.html

#2280 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I do find it humorous how people try and make everything into a competition. Can't we all just love pinball?

We are talking about apples and oranges-and I happen to love both!

#2281 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

One really cool thing I think Stern deserves credit for is arranging to be able to have the game ON LOCATION ready to play the day they announce. I love that. So awesome to see the reveal of a product and be able to play it same day. Kudos for that.

Have you fixed any of the new sterns? They have been making them quicker and easier to replace parts on location too. Optos are plug n play etc. now the coil stops :/ blah but I was happy not having to take my soldering iron out for optos

#2282 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

BTW-looking forward to coming down and playing your R & M when you get it.

Any time. And maybe I can come play your Stranger Things LE?

#2283 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I do find it humorous how people try and make everything into a competition. Can't we all just love pinball?
We are talking about apples and oranges-and I happen to love both!

I find it interesting people think this game is special when the layout has been done a trillion times.

#2284 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I don't understand why some people have to turn this into a Playstation vs Xbox style fanboy talk like my 10 year old. It's ok to like both, or not like them at all.

Same reason you see pump or dump reviews in the charts, based on what people own. Or why Pro owners will say the Pro is the best version of the game Vs the Premium/LE. There is some very strong psychological forces at play about what you own and the need to defend that choice in your head (and then publicly). Not everyone, but obviously enough people that we see it come up with every game.

It just is what it is.

#2285 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I find it interesting people think this game is special when the layout has been done a trillion times.

lets start with you. Are you on the list for Rick and Morty?

#2286 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I scored both.. pretty stoked..

#2287 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Pinball has a very limited amount of space on a playfield so if you want a game that feels good it might look similar. That doesn’t mean it plays the same.

Even Oktoberfest and JP2 have a similar shot layout. That doesn’t mean they are anything alike.

#2288 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Passion on Theme challenges common sense. Stern knows this.

Hoping Eddy makes code more integrated. Theme integration can make a cookie cutter layout work if done well.

#2289 4 years ago
Quoted from Globalcop:

Nothing happens when you make the demogorgon shot, the ramp simply closes. No exploding castle, no flying saucer flashing lights etc. The ramp just closes. Not rewarding at all.

That does seem rather disappointing.

One reason I like early Data East so much is when you do something of note the game lets you know beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Still some of the best light shows in the business, make sure your shades are in place if you have gone full LED.

#2290 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Sure am. But I also own 20 Stern games.

#2291 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Why is that relevant? If this design wowed us with full code and a strong design wouldn’t that stand on its own merit? Instead let’s pick at what the folks who don’t like it own or are buying? Weak sauce...

#2292 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Why is that relevant?

He thinks I’m bashing Stern because of Rick and Morty. Which is not true.

#2293 4 years ago

I'm a huge Brian Eddy fan...love the look of this machine and look forward to playing one but I'm not in love with the theme. That being said on the Stream someone asked about Bill & Ted's if they could confirm it was a work in progress and all JD said was "WE CAN'T TALK ABOUT THAT YET". Also I know there is a Godzilla in the works as well so I'm probably going to wait for those also Deeproot has some interesting stuff in the product pipeline and it's not just RAZA so I'm going to wait patiently for that stuff to be unveiled.

#2294 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Yeah, just edited my statement for a little more clarification.

#2295 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

How is it that people that have not even played Rick and Morty (which is almost everybody) say that it is “better” than Stranger Things or any other game when people that have actually played these other games say they are fun? Your nut-huggery for Spooky and your hatred for Stern is showing.
I do not like the Stranger Things show but the pin looks interesting. I love Rick and Morty but the pin looks blah. This is why we should actually try things to actually make an opinion first. I look forward in trying both.
And speaking of actually playing games, got to play premiums of both Elvira and JP2. Both are really fun. JP2 is a masterpiece, but don’t sleep on Elvira. It is actually a lot of fun and shoots well.

Good point....some of us don’t have that luxury unfortunately in UK. We have to watch endless streams etc.... check reviews before pulling the pin. Luckily it’s worked out well for me having never tried before buying.... and all been great so far.....
I think once you’ve decided on the theme, the hardest decision is whether to go Pro,Pre or LE.

#2296 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I'm not saying you are knowingly bashing Stern. I am saying that psychology does come into play here and your opinion is less relevant than say, someone who did not recently (days ago) commit $8k to another title.

#2297 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

It has been done because it is popular. Only so much you can do with a pinball table. I personally have not been able to get into JJP games because they pack too much stuff in their games with too many modes and it makes them play clunky to me. I have lots of games that are not fan layout and honestly I do not play them nearly as much as my fan layout titles. Do I love my Ripley's-absolutely, but do I play a ton more Metallica-yes. My only complaint today is the useless pop bumpers located in upper corner that do nothing. When Star Wars and GOT came out I ripped them-I felt they were just another cookie-cutter Stern with lack of innovation and art. Then I actually played them and had a huge smile on my face the entire time. That is what makes pinball great is everyone has their own preferences and taste. I like a unique table every so often, but I find that I do prefer the typical fan layout.

#2298 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

At this point I’m not even asking what’s next from Stern. They’re following, not leading the market like usual and rushing product. RaM looks fun and is priced better.

Not really priced better Rick. And how do you see RM as "fun" from a 60 second video clip?

It might end up being fun but hey, pricing on RM is right there with Stern now. Shipping and add ons

#2299 4 years ago

I’m sure it will be fun, but it looks like Eddy threw this layout together in about 5 minutes. Uninspired.

#2300 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

That's what I am talking about-looks good.

I can see what Stern is going for , or what they were allowed to use . Personally I like to see weird characters or badies over " normal " people . I would prefer Darth Vader over Luke Skywalker , Davy Jones over Captain Jack Sparrow , Orcs and Goblins over Hobbits , Thanos over Tony Stark . But that's just what I like .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects
Decals
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop
Backbox
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/46?hl=robertstone0407 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.