IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 144.
#2201 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Is this a known thing? Somehow I missed that. Would be a great thing if they did a full release.

A very reliable source said this a few weeks ago.

#2202 4 years ago

Well, for being my most wanted theme, I am really disappointed in what I saw on stream. I know the code is early, but it just didn't look fun. The screen graphics didn't really fit the show to me. It is like they went full TnA with it and that really isn't how the show feels. They lean into the nostalgia in the show, but not in a Miami Vice cocaine kind of way, which is how the display graphics felt. I also really don't like the plunge shot that is like Star Wars. Always a crap shoot if you are going to get screwed throwing the ball out of control off of the plunge.

That said, I really hope it comes around as I want to love it so bad.

#2203 4 years ago

Total retread layout wow seen it all before. Attack from Mars and Medieval Madness from left to right orbit, ramp, middle toy, ramp, orbit. Nothing new here been done before. Stick with the two classic games and wait for something that is actually new.

#2204 4 years ago

Was thinking that the past 2 layouts -Elvira and this - are almost the same.

#2205 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I get your point, but Beatles remake is actually a great game.

Yep, it is brilliant

#2206 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Literally nothing. People comparing every game to JP2 outside of the next Elwin game, is seriously not even fair. Haha

Yeah, hate to say it, but I cancelled my LE and am on the hunt for JP2 LE instead. That game is just brilliant. Huge fan of Brian Eddy, but I was surprised they didn't go a different direction, more towards The Shadow layout rather than AFM/MM. I hope it ends up great anyhow with code updates.

#2207 4 years ago
6E964FFB-6743-4C02-8056-EDE6347DC515 (resized).jpeg6E964FFB-6743-4C02-8056-EDE6347DC515 (resized).jpeg
#2208 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

[quoted image]

Yep, look like pinball machines. All except it will have completely different flow with orbits and returns.

Look Star Wars and ACDC have the same layout but play nothing alike...

#2209 4 years ago

was expecting to be more wowed. ...

#2210 4 years ago

Same game, layout is identical. No one buy Star Wars it is a retread.

4E62C585-8E49-4499-9BCE-73CFBD202E27 (resized).png4E62C585-8E49-4499-9BCE-73CFBD202E27 (resized).png
#2211 4 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Same game, layout is identical. No one buy Star Wars it is a retread.[quoted image]

Nice photo. But the reality is that despite the visual similarities, these games shoot nothing like each other.

#2212 4 years ago

Hmmm.. the theme integration is way worse than I anticipated. The clips do nothing to enhance the game, the call outs (what very very little there currently are) sound really unenthusiastic and uninspired. No funny moments being presented, just random stuff with almost no sounds from the show. Upside down mode that last a few seconds and doesn't really do anything interesting. The middle shot which takes forever to get to only lasts a couple shots to complete with very little payoff. Just bizarre implementation. On the positive, this is mostly code related stuff, so it COULD be fixed. The shots look really good, fun and satisfying. Very smooth. But if the code isn't there, we may have another Munster's on our hands, sadly. Either way, seems like status quo for Stern, for what it's worth.

#2213 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Nice photo. But the reality is that despite the visual similarities, these games shoot nothing like each other.

That’s my point, was my post not dripping with enough sarcasm?

#2214 4 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

That’s my point, was my post not dropping with enough sarcasm?

Must have been too smart. Over my head.

#2215 4 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Yep, look like pinball machines. All except it will have completely different flow with orbits and returns.
Look Star Wars and ACDC have the same layout but play nothing alike...

Sure. Guess I’m just bored - enjoying JP2 and Deadpool at the moment because they’re at least a little different.

#2216 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Sure. Guess I’m just bored - enjoying JP2 and Deadpool at the moment because they’re at least a little different.

Both great games, I’m glad you enjoy them. I own and love DP even though it has elements from Avengers, LotR, and JM. All great Gomez pins.

#2217 4 years ago

I keep thinking in the back of my mind it feels like x-files.....

#2218 4 years ago

This game should be sponsored by FleshLight

Once you see it, you can’t unsee it

#2219 4 years ago

I'm curious as to what exactly is worth the premium of $1,600 to $3,000 for the Premium and Limited editions?

Is it the $5 magnet?
Is it the $200 (likely 20-50 lumen) off-the-shelf mini-projector?
Is it the $75 shaker motor?
Is it the $20 interior side panels?
Is it the $100 back glass?

Never been a fan of this tiered system of making slightly different versions of a game, but with significant price increases for minimal benefit. I'm all for capitalism, but for an extra $3,000 there better be some SIGNIFICANTLY better bells and whistles included than a gimmick projector and a magnet. $3,000 is a lot of money.

Pins should top out around $8,000. This $9,000-$12,000 "Premium-Ultra-Turbo" pricing is just absurd unless it's something REALLY amazing.

fkkinknowit (resized).jpgfkkinknowit (resized).jpg
#2220 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I gotta ask why they even show it? It's not interesting at all right now. Why would anyone rush out to buy until they can see what it will be when done? I love the show, but I'm not feeling this game for some reason. I will say though, the pro has a good light show at this point.

You have input to the code. If you think you like stuff added, tell Stern, you never know, sometimes your ideas are added to the game.

#2221 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

At first I thought you were Jason Rufer! Congratulations!

Troy has way more grey.

#2222 4 years ago

Man y'all are an angry bunch.

I just got done playing the pro for a few hours.

Game shoots great - music is killer as well as the sound effects. The code is definitely early. The game feels like AFM but with a snappier Stern feel to it.

I really enjoyed playing it and look forward to seeing the premium. It just feels great to shoot.

#2223 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Is this a known thing? Somehow I missed that. Would be a great thing if they did a full release.

#2224 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Man y'all are an angry bunch.
I just got done playing the pro for a few hours.
Game shoots great - music is killer as well as the sound effects. The code is definitely early. The game feels like AFM but with a snappier Stern feel to it.
I really enjoyed playing it and look forward to seeing the premium. It just feels great to shoot.

The people whining have not played the game. This happens every reveal.

#2225 4 years ago

I am by no means a hater, I root for all pinball games, but the silence in here is deafening (at least as far as positive posts go). I was expecting a much bigger reaction. Of course, it is almost Christmas so that can be a factor.

I have to believe if you are a fan of Stern games, that you are at least somewhat disappointed in this release. I know that most people were expecting a lot more out of Brian Eddy. We will probably never know what restraints he faced, how much the license cost, etc.

#2226 4 years ago

As far as the big toy in the middle goes, it reminds me quite a bit of the flowers in Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' (The one on the receiving end!).

If Stern has any left, they can always make a Godzilla game and convert it to Biollante.

#2227 4 years ago

Oh don't worry, there'll be that one guy who lives and breaths Stern and pre-orders them all and claims that everyone who doesn't like them is stupid while shitting on every other manufacturers' games. He probably hasn't drank enough yet.

#2228 4 years ago

I really don’t get the concern over the projector. Didn’t they say it was basically off the shelf. I just bought my daughter a portable projector and it was half the price of pin stadiums and way more than you would need in a pin.

#2229 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I really don’t get the concern over the projector. Didn’t they say it was basically off the shelf. I just bought my daughter a portable projector and it was half the price of pin stadiums and way more than you would need in a pin.

It kind of goes two ways...it's either expensive or cheap. If it's cheap, then what justifies the price jump? If it's expensive, that scares people for how much it will cost to replace. The other is just wondering how much it is actually integrated into the game. It's really the more interesting part of the game in my opinion. I'm still curious to see how that works out. Maybe since the code isn't too terribly far along, they are holding off on showing it off more? Also, I think it will be one of those things you really need to see in person, a video/pics of it won't show nearly as well as people will want it to. It's not a bright clear 4k projector.

#2230 4 years ago
Quoted from jcg9998:

I am by no means a hater, I root for all pinball games, but the silence in here is deafening (at least as far as positive posts go). I was expecting a much bigger reaction. Of course, it is almost Christmas so that can be a factor.
I have to believe if you are a fan of Stern games, that you are at least somewhat disappointed in this release. I know that most people were expecting a lot more out of Brian Eddy. We will probably never know what restraints he faced, how much the license cost, etc.

Well, things I liked about the game:

1. Drop targets on a pro.
2. I like the idea of the drop targets leading to falling center ramp (or something like that).
3. The game looks very flowy and fast but fair. Looked really fun to shoot.
4. Lots of modes, multiballs, and 3 mini-wizard modes is pretty cool.
5. It's a good looking machine.

Always tough to judge a game by a stream though. The few people who have played it on location say is fun to shoot -- so that's a good sign at least.

#2231 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It kind of goes two ways...it's either expensive or cheap. If it's cheap, then what justifies the price jump? If it's expensive, that scares people for how much it will cost to replace. The other is just wondering how much it is actually integrated into the game. It's really the more interesting part of the game in my opinion. I'm still curious to see how that works out. Maybe since the code isn't too terribly far along, they are holding off on showing it off more? Also, I think it will be one of those things you really need to see in person, a video/pics of it won't show nearly as well as people will want it to. It's not a bright 4k projector.

It has to shine like two feet onto what a ten inch area, a killer projector for that spec would be $100. Sure Stern has to deliver content but technology or bulb life is not an issue.

#2232 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I keep thinking in the back of my mind it feels like x-files.....

Its more like afm and guardians had a baby....

#2233 4 years ago

new year, lets bump up the price another $100 like they do about every 3rd game.

#2234 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Theater screen on premium looks horrible when turned off(matters to some people)

Of all the criticisms so far, the complaints about how the game looks when it’s off are by far the dumbest.

How often are you guys standing over your powered off games and looking down at the playfields? For me it’s like .001% of the time.

Someone please explain.

#2235 4 years ago

Hmm, looks all right. Definitely has some positive traits, but something feels a little lacking, or a little off in some way. I think the big thing is the lack of period music from the show. At this point I think I kinda like the VPX table better, even though it has less depth. The VPX table does have the 80s soundtrack, which is big, and it has more frequent use of show clips.

Also, who directed David Harbour's voiceovers? A lot of the lines sound good, but "Jackpot!" needs waaaaaay more life to it. Just ask John Rhys-Davies how to callout a jackpot. There is a lot of potential though, especially as they add things with code updates.

Still, as with every pin. Playing is believing.

#2236 4 years ago

Looks like a fun fast game, can’t wait to play one on location! Tried to watch the first season and the show did nothing for me.

#2237 4 years ago
Quoted from dangerwil:

In on an LE. Game looks like a wood chopping snore fest.

Why the f**k would you buy one then?

This hobby never fails to amaze me ....

rd

#2238 4 years ago
Quoted from dangerwil:

Game looks like a wood chopping.... fest.

Quoted from rotordave:

Why the f**k would you buy one then?
This hobby never fails to amaze me ....
rd

Maybe he likes chopping wood....
46D1E336-8AD1-4127-A2AD-154C9E212A9F (resized).jpeg46D1E336-8AD1-4127-A2AD-154C9E212A9F (resized).jpeg

#2239 4 years ago

I’m actually a big fan of the show, watched all 3 seasons and it transported me back to the 80’s of my teens.
I think a big part of the appeal is the music which looks like it isn’t in the pin which is a shame.
If I’m the target audience, I’m just not feeling the “gotta gotta have this no matter what” vibe like I did with Ghostbusters then Star Wars.
Then again I didn’t think that about JP2 until I saw the gameplay and went coco-bananas trying to get one ha!

#2240 4 years ago

Loving the comments on the demogorgan and what it looks like.
That in itself is worth a thread.

Still confirms the abbreviation of the game name to STD for me seeing that demogorgan.

#2242 4 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Well, for being my most wanted theme, I am really disappointed in what I saw on stream. I know the code is early, but it just didn't look fun. The screen graphics didn't really fit the show to me. It is like they went full TnA with it and that really isn't how the show feels. They lean into the nostalgia in the show, but not in a Miami Vice cocaine kind of way, which is how the display graphics felt. I also really don't like the plunge shot that is like Star Wars. Always a crap shoot if you are going to get screwed throwing the ball out of control off of the plunge.
That said, I really hope it comes around as I want to love it so bad.

My comment from the angle of someone who reveled in the 80's but could not get into the Netflix st series.
The stream was well presented and the game looks fine ! Thanks Jack Danger for another great stream ( Took you a little while to get warmed up ; ) )

Super impressed with a Very solid effort for a Stern Pro , IMHO the best Stern Pro to date.

I think when Prem/LE is revealed and code is advanced many pinheads will be blown away !
My most positive comment would be that the designer and team has created Atmosphere/Ambience achieved through Art, Audio and Video, this is a huge step forward and something that makes a pinball machine special.

Bottom line
Too early to judge the package, code is a work in progress.

Congrats Team Stern, Awesome effort !

#2243 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

My comment from the angle of someone who reveled in the 80's but could not get into the Netflix st series.
The stream was well presented and the game looks fine ! Thanks Jack Danger for another great stream ( Took you a little while to get warmed up ; ) )
Super impressed with a Very solid effort for a Stern Pro , IMHO the best Stern Pro to date.
I think when Prem/LE is revealed and code is advanced many pinheads will be blown away !
My most positive comment would be that the designer and team has created Atmosphere/Ambience achieved through Art, Audio and Video, this is a huge step forward and something that makes a pinball machine special.
Bottom line
Too early to judge the package, code is a work in progress.
Congrats Team Stern, Awesome effort !

Best Stern pro to date? No sir, no.

#2244 4 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

Best Stern pro to date? No sir, no.

From what I have seen yes,

Lets give it a few months, Im not a Stranger Things fan but think this will Slay other Stern Pro's

The delivery and atmosphere is exceptional for such early code, and this is only judging from video.

Perhaps we need to actually step up to the machine ?

#2245 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Yes it is, I wrote that also just this page.

#2246 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

From what I have seen yes

You've seen wrong!

I don't think he talks about the code but about actual mechs in the game.
Stranger Things falls a bit short in that regard.

#2247 4 years ago

Looks pretty good but I'm going to give it 6 months for code to mature and for stern to prove they've sorted QC and clear issues before my hard earned money goes their way....

#2248 4 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

I'm going to give it 6 months for code to mature..

With Lonnie on the code make ik 6 years

#2249 4 years ago

looks like a nice game. Nice the way the designer Mr. Eddy has kept lots of his signature elements. It even has a drawbridge (ramp) and targets in the center, with the twist that the ball goes airborn into a hole - nice touch. Can we assume we’ll have to defeat the demogorgon 6 times or so like we do with the castle owners? I also like the way the orbits lead to nontypical places. The left ramp has an unusual shape, which I like. I reckon the beamer will either be the next big revolution in pinball or a one off - it’s a great idea with lots of potential. It appears that the screen will block the view a bit, though. Theme is decent I guess, I really enjoyed the first two seasons of the show and looking forward to no. 3. Now if only Stern would give us some encouraging information about long term availability of replacement node boards I could imagine purchasing one of these.

#2250 4 years ago

Better mylar that middle ramp. Remember how beat up NGG got from moving ramp.
I really like the PF art. I do not mind shot map as I really enjoyed AFM. but the middle ramp with demigorgan behind it is a little funky looking IMO.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/45?hl=grimdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.