IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 144.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from amstrick:

Season 8 of CSI (the year the pin came out) averaged 12.19 million viewers per episode. Revisit complete!

You're comparing world wide numbers of Netflix to US only numbers of CSI.

"CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION gathered more than 73.8 million viewers worldwide beating out last year's winner House. CSI previously won the International Audience Award in 2007 and 2008"
I'm not saying ST isn't a massive show, obviously it is, I'm just saying it's not as a crazy diff'rence like you're thinking.

And let's not even get into Netlix's viewership numbers that I don;t think anyone believes.

#102 4 years ago

If it is Stranger Things I have a feeling they may take a Jurassic Park approach with it and not follow the show at all. Maybe make it where you have to travel back and forth between the upside down and normal world. Battle creatures from the show as well as new ones that were created for the game and also try and save people from the upside down. Kind of feel this is the new way to do a license game. Create a whole new story but use the assets. I will be fine with that. Especially that there is still another season (and hopefully season 5) still left to do. Would seem odd to have a machine with only story from the first 3 seasons and missing the new ones. Any rumor on who the art will be by? Would be neat if Netflix has their person that did all the posters and promos to work with Stern to do the art.

#103 4 years ago

CSI was also on free network tv as opposed to ST on Netflix pay service

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

I'd think the consensus overall, is that Season 2 was the 'worst' of the 3 so far, and that 3 sort of brought back the fun and magic of the show.

The only issue I have with season 3 is the over-done comic relief they decided to throw in there for some reason. I enjoyed the spattering of comedy in the first two seasons but thought season 3 took it a bit too far quite often.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

CSI was also on free network tv as opposed to ST on Netflix pay service

So what you are saying is...people generally consume TV differently in 2019 than they did in 2008? This isn't exactly news.

CSI is a live action TV show that was popular.
ST is a live action TV show that is popular.

You can get as bogged down in details as you want but I think they are a fair comparison, along with the other examples listed. ST isn't any kind of "cultural phenomenon" any more than Sopranos or CSI was.

#106 4 years ago

How about a Ghostbusters: Afterlife pinball machine instead? It’s essentially Stranger Things anyways.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

How about a Ghostbusters: Afterlife pinball machine instead? It’s essentially Stranger Things anyways.

this, is not even remotely true.

#108 4 years ago

I loved season 3. I thought it was pretty much perfect and the most enjoyable of the 3 seasons. Season one was creepier and more intense, season 2 was still great...just not as good as 1 and 3.

I thought the 3rd season captured the magic/nostalgia of the first season, took what worked from season 2, while jettisoning what didn't, and put it all together for season 3. It felt like to me like they really hit their stride in 3rd season.

#109 4 years ago

For upside down, maybe they could use strong UV led lighting which would for example reveal some otherwise "hidden" artwork, but this would only be effective if playing in a more or less dark environment.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Uh, can we NOT give Ghostbusters to Stern again, please?

scott.gifscott.gif
#111 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Uh, can we NOT give Ghostbusters to Stern again, please?[quoted image]

I actually really like the recent stern one. I dont own it so dont have the frustrations with code delay. But love playing it on location.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from Crrispy:

For upside down, maybe they could use strong UV led lighting which would for example reveal some otherwise "hidden" artwork, but this would only be effective if playing in a more or less dark environment.

Yep, Kulek can give them some pointers.

#113 4 years ago

I like the idea of using the assets around the games story, but have the game tell it’s own story. Don’t try and follow the seasons. Use some iconic music and lines for callouts but have the game do it’s own thing.

Would be cool to have kids get lost in the upside down if you’re playing poorly or fail modes and then you have to rescue them in various ways. Each party member has an ability that as long as they are not stuck in the upside down, you benefit from their ability.

Lots of ways to go with it. Excited to see it.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from amstrick:

Season 8 of CSI (the year the pin came out) averaged 12.19 million viewers per episode. Revisit complete!

I'd agree that Stranger Things is on a different level than say CSI. But it is an interesting comparison to say 24. I feel like I remember pretty high levels of buzz and some fandom and such on that show way back when. It's relevance went pretty south pretty quickly, and today as a pinball theme it is pretty meh.

Stranger Things has a better outlook to age better for sure... to me, it does feel like the buzz and excitement is peaked there a tad. Still ton of appeal. Rick and Morty may be a bit fresher at the moment? Both are cool properties

If they nail the design and make a great playing pin, itll stick around. Heck BSD is a top five for me and that theme is the biggest head scratcher

#115 4 years ago

If the rumor date of 12/23 ship hits, I would think a reveal happens really soon. I can hope....

#116 4 years ago

I’d be more excited if any other manufacturer had this theme. I just hope Stern surprises me and does something creative and unique.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Uh, can we NOT give Ghostbusters to Stern again, please?[quoted image]

Yeah, I mean Ghostbusters is only one of Stern's most loaded, well coded, and best selling pins to date. We are much better off with games that are emptier, cost $7800+ yet come with basic plastic ramps with no metal habitrails (looking at you Elvira), have less toys / features, lack full licensed assets, and have toppers with minimal code...

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

We are much better off with games that are emptier, cost $7800+ yet come with basic plastic ramps with no metal habitrails (looking at you Elvira)

I’m in complete agreement with you.

#119 4 years ago

Plastic ramps so much better.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Plastic ramps so much better.

Yes, they return the ball to the flippers .01 seconds faster! Stern must love that one. It's cheaper to put 100% plastic ramps in a game then it is to add metal ones and or ramps that are plastic with metal habitrails.

#121 4 years ago

I prefer plastic ramps too unless they go across the playfield.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, I mean Ghostbusters is only one of Stern's most loaded, well coded, and best selling pins to date. We are much better off with games that are emptier, cost $7800+ yet come with basic plastic ramps with no metal habitrails (looking at you Elvira), have less toys / features, lack full licensed assets, and have toppers with minimal code...

+1

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern must love that one. It's cheaper to put...

I've always preferred them from back in the 80s/90s, just the way I feel not a deep look into cost analysis.

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I've always preferred them from back in the 80s/90s, just the way I feel not a deep look into cost analysis.

I hear ya there. I don't mind them, just more frustrated with today's crazy high NIB prices and what is being put in them (or lack of).

#125 4 years ago

Pinball manufacturers love you guys with your plastic/metal ramp (or similar) arguments. You give $100's to $1000's of additional value to things that are 1/10 or less of that to manufacture.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Pinball manufacturers love you guys with your plastic/metal ramp (or similar) arguments. You give $100's to $1000's of additional value to things that are 1/10 or less of that to manufacture.

What are you most excited about related to a potential Stranger Things game?

#127 4 years ago

80s Mods!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#128 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Loaded? Yes. Coded? Meh (although it’s certainly easier now and the double skill shot point exploits are mitigated).

I’m a former LE owner and I play GB every week in league play. Its physical design is crap. Should be SO good. But it’s not.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m curious about whether or not Brian Eddy will continue his tradition of working with a centralized, multi-state mech. And if so, what could it be?

I think a “portal” ramp to the Upside Down in the back like the LOTR ring would be cool. Maybe a standup or two in front of it...standups could be Russians, demons, whatever makes sense for that mode. When you finally get through the portal there’s a little moment where the GI changes to blue and you’re in the Upside Down.

I can’t think of many interesting central mechs that’d be compelling and work to start multiple modes.

#130 4 years ago

What I would like to see for the upside down. Would be for you to have to complete a goal then enter a ramp that would divert the ball to a lock for the mode to start. The upside down world would start with changed color of lighting and an amazing light show. A new ball would kick out and timer start. So you have so much time to complete a different goal. If you lose the ball during this mode it wouldn't end your ball but go back to regular play and locked ball would then kick out. If you complete the goal then the locked ball would pop back out and game would go back to normal play.

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Plenty. This is a theme that I'm very excited about. User controlled magnets (Eleven's telekinesis), Starcourt Mall mini playfield, Sheriff Hopper video mode (Dodging demogorgons in his Chevy Blazer), portal to the Upside Down that you have to close. Lots and lots of potential there. I just hope it's not a big let down like The Beatles. Ideally, I'd like a WOZ-type environment with actual exciting game play.

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

User controlled magnets (Eleven's telekinesis), Starcourt Mall mini playfield, Sheriff Hopper video mode (Dodging demogorgons in his Chevy Blazer), portal to the Upside Down that you have to close.

Love the idea with player controlled magnets. I was wondering how it would be to have player controlled magnetic slings? Starcourt Mall mini playfield-please no. I don't know what it is but mini-playfields feel gimmicky to me. Feels like I am playing an old mini Tomy pinball as a kid-fun for 15 seconds. Video mode with dodging demogorgons would be cool. Would also be cool for kids to be riding BMX bikes through forest and having to hit obstacles left and right with objects, kinda like throwing the newspaper on Paperboy. Portal to upside down would be really cool with a subway ramp that feeds down to flippers and GI lighting goes berserk with cool pink-purple lighting? Man I hope we don't hype this game up too much and set ourselves up for disappointment.

#133 4 years ago

Player controlled magna slings bad. Player controlled magnets like on Oktoberfest good. Haha

Mini playfield like simpsons or TBL or one of the WOZ playfields. Not both.

If the upper playfield is a quick couple of shots and doesn’t stay there long, that’s cool. But please nothing like black knight. Makes the game take forever.

#134 4 years ago

Might be interesting if they placed pop bumper/s in the lower section of playfield, not as crazy as Cyclops but maybe something like TZ? Tired of pops that bounce ball around up top-only to exit out into lane.

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

I’m curious about whether or not Brian Eddy will continue his tradition of working with a centralized, multi-state mech. And if so, what could it be?
I think a “portal” ramp to the Upside Down in the back like the LOTR ring would be cool. Maybe a standup or two in front of it...standups could be Russians, demons, whatever makes sense for that mode. When you finally get through the portal there’s a little moment where the GI changes to blue and you’re in the Upside Down.
I can’t think of many interesting central mechs that’d be compelling and work to start multiple modes.

That would be cool. I like that portal shot idea to enter the upside down.

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Might be interesting if they placed pop bumper/s in the lower section of playfield, not as crazy as Cyclops but maybe something like TZ? Tired of pops that bounce ball around up top-only to exit out into lane.

Always loved andromeda’s pop down by the flipper.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Always loved andromeda’s pop down by the flipper.

No love for Satin Doll?!

OR Stellar Wars!

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No love for Satin Doll?!
OR Stellar Wars!

Or Pat Hand?!? Haha. Never played a stellar wars believe it or not. All I know is the other Williams widebodies suck except for Algar!

#139 4 years ago

Someone, please tell me this isn't it? This is just some random homebrew or something right?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#140 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Someone, please tell me this isn't it? This is just some random homebrew or something right?[quoted image]

There's probably quite a few virtual pins out there with this theme...

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

There's probably quite a few virtual pins out there with this theme...

Yeah but I've seen those, and that looks like a real playfield. I'm just hoping someone can be like oh don't worry that is my buddy Pete's homebrew game.

#142 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yeah but I've seen those, and that looks like a real playfield. I'm just hoping someone can be like oh don't worry that is my buddy Pete's homebrew game.

the name "Pinball Pete" makes me giggle. My buddy, pinball pete, lol.

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Someone, please tell me this isn't it?

This isn’t it. This is my buddy Pete’s home brew.

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Dimpling checks out, could be real.

#145 4 years ago

A surprise Stranger Things xmas special combined with a pinball release would go down pretty well I suspect...

https://www.coupdemainmagazine.com/tv-news/15856

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This isn’t it. This is my buddy Pete’s home brew.

I knew I could count on someone.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

the name "Pinball Pete" makes me giggle. My buddy, pinball pete, lol.

Even funnier, he's an elephant!

http://www.pinballpetes.net/

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

That looks like a shitty billboard with pinball inserts. If Stern’s artists can’t top that then they have a problem.

#149 4 years ago

What is funny is that is the pic I pretty much expected to be the backglass since the machine has been hinted at.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from clg:

A surprise Stranger Things xmas special combined with a pinball release would go down pretty well I suspect...
https://www.coupdemainmagazine.com/tv-news/15856

I doubt Netflix is doing a holiday special. Each season takes place during a holiday. Season 1 was in November close to Thanksgiving. Season 2 was Halloween and Season 3 was 4th of July. Season 4 is rumored to take place during Christmas.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/3?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.