IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 144.
#1601 1 year ago

With the prices of these new machines, I'd rather just find a premium or LE on location near me (not hard to do), play 3 games for $2.00, hope that I play well enough for a replay on at least one of those games. Maybe do it again. Come back in a couple of weeks, play again. More times than not, after 12-15 games, I've had enough of that game for a long, long time. I'm only $6.00-$8.00 in. No chipped playfields or node boards to ever have to worry about.

#1602 1 year ago
Quoted from usandthem:

With the prices of these new machines, I'd rather just find a premium or LE on location near me (not hard to do), play 3 games for $2.00, hope that I play well enough for a replay on at least one of those games. Maybe do it again. Come back in a couple of weeks, play again. More times than not, after 12-15 games, I've had enough of that game for a long, long time. I'm only $6.00-$8.00 in. No chipped playfields or node boards to ever have to worry about.

That's how it's (was) supposed to be.

#1603 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Where does the ball go when shot in the Demogorgon mouth?
Anyone?

Out his butthole.

#1604 1 year ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

I have 2 major concern with this... with bulb life of the projector coming first. If you leave your pinball machine on all the time, like at an arcade, either that projector is on 100% of the time, eating the bulb, or the projector is off, which would leave a blank screen in the middle of the field. Replacement bulbs are not cheap... and if a bulb only lasts 2000 hours, that is a new bulb to buy every year if you have it on during opening hours. I would also be concerned with the bulb becoming dimmer over time. Admittedly, my knowledge of projector technology is a few years out of date, but there is a reason we all have LCD TVs in our living rooms instead of projectors.

Pico Projectors don't use bulbs. They use a big LED like you see in LED flashlights, etc. The stats say things like 20k hours.. but LEDs do not age like a bulb, they fade over time (All those people with the cheap generation of Comet LEDs can attest to). So this makes the device a consumable. Once the LED fades... the device is useless.

The challenge will be how the projector is mounted and how much space is available. These projectors come in all kinds of different sizes and being the cheap china stuff change all the time. Plus you need to match up the lens setup (throw distance) to something at least comparable.. so you get the canvas size you want and ability to focus at that distance.

It's funny how people discount this.. as if its like changing lights in a game... yet people lost their #$%@# when Stern required you to buy $300 node boards..

#1605 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Pinball life has brackets that eliminate the spot target shifting.

I'm using the Mezel Mods target splint on my Deadpool SNNKKKT target, but it still moves over...

#1606 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Out his butthole.

Shitty spot. Lol

#1607 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Pico Projectors don't use bulbs. They use a big LED like you see in LED flashlights, etc. The stats say things like 20k hours.. but LEDs do not age like a bulb, they fade over time (All those people with the cheap generation of Comet LEDs can attest to). So this makes the device a consumable. Once the LED fades... the device is useless.
The challenge will be how the projector is mounted and how much space is available. These projectors come in all kinds of different sizes and being the cheap china stuff change all the time. Plus you need to match up the lens setup (throw distance) to something at least comparable.. so you get the canvas size you want and ability to focus at that distance.
It's funny how people discount this.. as if its like changing lights in a game... yet people lost their #$%@# when Stern required you to buy $300 node boards..

Yeah, a replacement pico / mini projector for the game will likely be cheaper then a replacement node board.

#1608 1 year ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Realistically if you only need 12 to 15 plays on a game to be satiated, then buying doesn't make sense at all.

#1609 1 year ago

By now you’ve all seen the Stern Stranger Things Christmas light “coming soon” video as well? Posted to their FB page this morning.

https://fbwat.ch/1C93LzdgXUeteCJH

#1610 1 year ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Man... with 12-15 games on a modern machine, I feel like I’m barely scratching the surface.

You make a great point about not spending Beaucoup Bucks to take on a headache. But, I’ll counter with this: the pinball experience is always best in a controlled home environment (at least in my opinion...). If you keep your machines minty, you’re always guaranteed a clean and snappy play experience. And you can always hear the pin’s audio.

Those two are huge in my book.

I am routinely disappointed with my location play experiences.... there’s really nothing better than getting a game on your home turf and experiencing it with out outside noise & distractions, and malfunctioning or dirty repair. It makes it all worth the investment.

#1611 1 year ago

Ok cool. I gotta see this in real action...

#1612 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I am routinely disappointed with my location play experiences.... there’s really nothing better than getting a game on your home turf and experiencing it with out outside noise & distractions, and malfunctioning or dirty repair. It makes it all worth the investment.

Then scoot over to our VA locations where we maintain stuff great Been getting my fill of Wonka, Octo, JP, etc. I only buy a pin if it really grabs me.. even if I drop $20 playing I feel like 'damn.. thats alot'.. until I work out how many $20s are in $5k

#1613 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Seriously? Alien is 10 levels beyond this show on the scary level.

A matter of opinion.
*spoilers ahead*

There are kids getting lost trying to hide in a pretty terrifying world.
Kids locked up and experimented on.
There are truuly terrifying monsters lurking and killing a young female.
One girl is forced into a dark space of her mind to seek out the monster.
Poltergeist like events happening.
More...

As said a matter of opinion, but write it of as a "kids show" seems to miss the mark by miles.

#1614 1 year ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I live very remote and has to travel for almost two hours for a pinball location.
There's also the aspect of having friends over and gather with beers and talk having a nice game.
(I dont like pool or dart)

#1615 1 year ago

If I were Stern, I wouldn’t have much to do with the Kman, as he sort of compliments ST, but then blasts it and he’s not even played it yet. He says if he buys it, he’ll have to play it under a black sheet to see the screens. How can he say something like this??? He’s not ever played the machine and has no idea whether it will be “washed out” as he states. No manufacturer of pinball is going to make a machine that has to be played only in total darkness to be seen properly. Can understand why Stern has nothing to do with him or any other Manufactering company as well, for that matter. Save erroneous statements, till after flipping the game. He’d be a great deal more credible that way. Although do like listening to his show.

#1616 1 year ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

If I were Stern, I’d have zero to do with the Kman, as he sort of compliments ST, but then blasts it over and over and he’s not even played it yet. He says if he buys it, he’ll have to play it under a black sheet to see the screens. How can he say something like this??? He’s not ever played the machine and has no idea whether it will be “washed out” as he states. No manufacturer of pinball is going to make a machine that has to be played only in total darkness to be seen properly. Can understand why Stern has nothing to do with him or any other Manufactering company as well, for that matter. Save erroneous statements, till after flipping the game. He’d be a great deal more credible that way.

He might be good at marketing but he didn't even know what a fan layout was, so take it all with a big pinch of entertainment salt

He thought a fan layout was something fans liked.

But, hey, I listen because it is entertaining and he does get early news on what the next games are.

#1617 1 year ago

So I’m telling you these cheap short throw projects don’t last you can say 20,000 hours all day. What they do over time is the brightness fades to a point you can barely see them. Then you simply have to replace. As I said they might last in your house but in a barcode where they’re turned on hours upon hours upon hours they could start to fade soon. The other major issue is brightness ... in your house clearly you can kick off the lights but in a barcode with other lights on i wonder how that ends up. Going to be interesting.

No matter what I give Stern a TON of credit here for trying something totally different. I like the fact they thought outside the box here. The real problem as I see as Stern steps out of their comfort zone you will see more and more problems. My Elvira game has already had a ton of problems and it doesn’t have any video mapping tech.

#1618 1 year ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I'm using the Mezel Mods target splint on my Deadpool SNNKKKT target, but it still moves over...

Try the metal pinball life one. It’s better.

#1619 1 year ago

Yellowbird posted that he thinks Stern gave Kaneda the video to help with marketing? Ahhh there is NO WAY in HELL that happened. I doubt very seriously Gary Stern likes Kaneda. Furthermore why would Stern want someone they're not found of, won't let anyone from their company do a podcast with him, upstaging their reveal of the game? That makes NO sense!

It could have happened in a 100 different ways. Just prior to the release of the new Star Wars movie the script was leaked. North Korea hacked Sony and revealed all kinds of nasty things about their execs. People hacked Jennifer Lawrence phone and posted nude photos of her... I'm pretty sure she didn't share those. Point being we live in a World where almost anything can be hacked. Someone got a hold of that video and shared it with Kaneda because they knew he would post it... there is NO WAY anyone working at Stern would risk their JOB to help someone Gary Stern probably hates.

Stern is to blame for the hack, leak or whatever, they need to do a better job in the future, blaming anyone specific is ridiculous.

#1620 1 year ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Yellowbird posted that he thinks Stern gave Kaneda the video to help with marketing? Ahhh there is NO WAY in HELL that happened. I doubt very seriously Gary Stern likes Kaneda. Furthermore why would Stern want someone they're not found of, won't let anyone from their company do a podcast with him, upstaging their reveal of the game? That makes NO sense!
It could have happened in a 100 different ways. Just prior to the release of the new Star Wars movie the script was leaked. North Korea hacked Sony and revealed all kinds of nasty things about their execs. People hacked Jennifer Lawrence phone and posted nude photos of her... I'm pretty sure she didn't share those. Point being we live in a World where almost anything can be hacked. Someone got a hold of that video and shared it with Kaneda because they knew he would post it... there is NO WAY anyone working at Stern would risk their JOB to help someone Gary Stern probably hates.
Stern is to blame for the hack, leak or whatever, they need to do a better job in the future, blaming anyone specific is ridiculous.

I could be wrong, but I just dont seeing people care enough to "hack" stern in order to get access to a youtube video 3 or 4 days early.

#1621 1 year ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

I could be wrong, but I just dont seeing people care enough to "hack" stern in order to get access to a youtube video 3 or 4 days early.

You underestimate this dudes sickness and money....

#1622 1 year ago

Here we go!

1406D85A-FC89-455A-846A-37D091E7E2B2.gif
#1623 1 year ago

I am in Ft Wayne, IN for the holiday and stopped in Wizard”s World yesterday. They have about 83 machines and is one of the best places I have been to here in the States. They always get the latest. Highly recommended location if you are in this neck of the woods. I asked the guy working if they had a Stranger Things for launch and he said no but the owner was working with a distributor now trying to get one ASAP. We shall see.

#1624 1 year ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I am in Ft Wayne, IN for the holiday and stopped in Wizard”s World yesterday. They have about 83 machines and is one of the best places I have been to here in the States. They always get the latest. Highly recommended location if you are in this neck of the woods. I asked the guy working if they had a Stranger Things for launch and he said no but the owner was working with a distributor now trying to get one ASAP. We shall see.

Great site. Visit once a year. There are a bunch of nice places to play on your way to Chicago from the East up that way. Glad you got to check it out!

#1625 1 year ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Great site. Visit once a year. There are a bunch of nice places to play on your way to Chicago from the East up that way. Glad you got to check it out!

This is my 3rd annual visit. Makes visiting the in-laws palatable.

#1626 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Here we go![quoted image]

Did you sleep last night? Lol

#1628 1 year ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Stern is really smart with their marketing. They also likely have stipulations on when exactly things can be shown.
K is a pawn in their game. Super easy to 'anonymously' make sure it gets in his hands; knowing he will run with it right away.

This allowed them to draw out the hype and marketing and still meet all obligations of contract ('oops, someone leaked it/ we got hacked/ our bad)

With Franchi being gone, it appears he was the previous leak (things not being leaked like they use to)
This time around it is quite a different style of 'leak' as this seems very intentional.

Either way... it is Monday. Do we get to see an actual release today?

#1629 1 year ago

This seems odd that they'd release a title officially while people are off work, or going on vacation very shortly. And who is working at Stern right now?

CES is January 7th, so I wonder if this will be held until after the new year.

#1630 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

it is Monday. Do we get to see an actual release today?

Yes (resized).jpeg
#1631 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

This seems odd that they'd release a title officially while people are off work, or going on vacation very shortly. And who is working at Stern right now?
CES is January 7th, so I wonder if this will be held until after the new year.

I thought they have had similar timing before around July 4th, labor day, memorial day?

Seems perfect to have people talking about your game over the extended week. I actually love it.
Give more content each day like presents.

I hope we get some more R&M content also this week.

#1632 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I thought they have had similar timing before around July 4th, labor day, memorial day?
Seems perfect to have people talking about your game over the extended week. I actually love it.
I hope we get some more R&M content also this week.

I know *we* would love it, but I'm just thinking about the logistics of who has to be WORKING to announce something. Ie: distributors need to be taking orders, answering phones/emails. People at Stern need to be available to support their distributors.

I could be wrong, and all of these people want to work over Christmas.

#1633 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

I know *we* would love it, but I'm just thinking about the logistics of who has to be WORKING to announce something. Ie: distributors need to be taking orders, answering phones/emails. People at Stern need to be available to support their distributors.
I could be wrong, and all of these people want to work over Christmas.

You think Stern is closed for the week? Nope. They’ll be closed Christmas Day. That’s it.

#1634 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

You think Stern is closed for the week? Nope. They’ll be closed Christmas Day. That’s it.

Fair enough. That answers my question. Sucks to be them.

#1635 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

Fair enough. That answers my question. Sucks to be them.

That’s being said I am sure many of the folks that have nothing to do with this release activity or current manufacturing line will be on vacation.

#1636 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

so I wonder if this will be held until after the new year

The cat is out of the bag-Stern will get these all delivered to distributors asap(if not already delivered) and they will still make CES the first show reveal.

Excited to see the Pro play and wondering what it will play like? Not sure about huge screen taking up valuable real estate with no projector? Could be an eye sore or could be stellar-time will tell.

#1637 1 year ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Come on DrFUD you can’t seriously believe what your saying right? Your examples are literally comical. Jennifer L nudes? Corporate hacks?? They were not Selling a product completely a different and illegal story. If Kman releases nude pics of Gary (just threw up in my mouth) or his bank statement I’ll buy your made up theory but this was a marketing play start to finish. Not saying a bad one just not a surprise. He miraculously leaks every new game not buying it. They give the “bad boy” of the industry the bait with the guarantee he gets massive following and growth and in return the product seller gets Everyone talking about them and this product assuming a crazy hack conspiracy. Lol. in my opinion this viral strategy is rather genius as they can deny everything while getting Free Pre-sale market interest/evaluation Prior to publishing a price point! Smart.

#1638 1 year ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

People hacked Jennifer Lawrence phone and posted nude photos of her....

Wait... soooo you are telling me that there are nudes of Jennifer Lawrence up on the internet? Excuse me while I disappear for a little bit
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (resized).png

#1639 1 year ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

So proving my point actually, not yours. Which 18-29 year olds have $8K laying around in disposable income to buy pins?
You get it now? Maybe Stern knows something we don’t like these kids are all rich now and have parents with $8K laying around. I’m not sure where you grew up but I had barely enough money for cup-o noodles let alone an $8K pinball machine

This was my thought exactly and my wife said the same when I asked what her thought was on it, we also thought the same exact thing about the Rick and Morty pin. My 24 year old son is a massive fan of both shows and said there is no way he'd spend that kind of coin on a pin and he makes close to six figures a year. He said that he would put that down on a house before anything else, my 19 year old said the same. I have absolutely zero doubt about this machine doing extremely well on route, but I don't see a huge amount of them ending up in homes.

#1640 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It will give us something to think about over the Holiday.

-Is it just me, or are you thinking more about pinball releases-rather than the upcoming Holiday and presents under the tree?

-My wife asking me what I want for Christmas? I said I really do not need anything-I am set.

-Well now that I think of it-maybe I would take a Stranger Things Pinball?

#1641 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

This was my thought exactly and my wife said the same when I asked what her thought was on it, we also thought the same exact thing about the Rick and Morty pin. My 24 year old son is a massive fan of both shows and said there is no way he'd spend that kind of coin on a pin and he makes close to six figures a year. He said that he would put that down on a house before anything else, my 19 year old said the same. I have absolutely zero doubt about this machine doing extremely well on route, but I don't see a huge amount of them ending up in homes.

Jesus, what’s wrong with kids today??

#1642 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Jesus, what’s wrong with kids today??

I know right?? LOL

#1643 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Right, but those kids would play the hell out of the games if they found them on location correct? I feel like a lot of pinsiders forget about the OP market.

#1644 1 year ago

I was having this discussion with some coworkers. At some point one says "how much was it, 3-4k?" I laughed and said, maybe in 2000. When I told them the average price of a pinball today they were in disbelief. The point is, MOST people wouldn't pay that kind of money on these items, doesn't matter how big a fan they are. It doesn't need to be millions though, it only needs to be hundreds/few thousands.

#1645 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Also, sounds like you raised some smart fiscally conservative kids But, they might not be 100% representative of their generation. Look at brands like Star Wars or Supreme, you have people shelling out thousands of dollars for a brick that says supreme or 25k for a life size droid. Also both shows have an audience that's not just 20 and 30 somethings. I'm sure Stranger things is going to be a huge hit for stern

#1646 1 year ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

I'm sure Stranger things is going to be a huge hit for stern

I hope so and I really think it will be a great game for location pinball. I think the theme will attract multiple generations and should be a good earner for ops?

#1647 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I was having this discussion with some coworkers. At some point one says "how much was it, 3-4k?" I laughed and said, maybe in 2000. When I told them the average price of a pinball today they were in disbelief.

LMAO. Don't you just love the various facial expressions when you tell people what pins cost? Always laughs to be had, once they get their hands on those flipper buttons though...…….

#1648 1 year ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

Also, sounds like you raised some smart fiscally conservative kids

Yes sir!! Oddly they are more frugal than I am in some instances. My step son is home for christmas and called me out twice last night for leaving lights on in an empty room. I asked him...... who are you and and what have you done with my boy?!?

#1649 1 year ago

Hilarious how everyone is armchair quarterbacking Stern.

Here’s a little reminder: this is the company that survived pinball Armageddon. This is the company that industry luminaries chose to work for and stick with. They are a legitimate large scale manufacturer that can and must keep their line moving. This is the pinball company with the largest distribution network in the world. And this is the company that literally runs circles around everyone else.

They aren’t stupid. They know what they are doing. Most of the moves they make are solid gold. Want proof? They’re expanding, collectors and businesses keep buying.

So, instead of wasting your time questioning their motives, sit back and enjoy. They’ve got this under control.

#1650 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

It will give us something to think about over the Holiday.
-Is it just me, or are you thinking more about pinball releases-rather than the upcoming Holiday and presents under the tree?
-My wife asking me what I want for Christmas? I said I really do not need anything-I am set.
-Well now that I think of it-maybe I would take a Stranger Things Pinball?

- Not just you, yes I am!

- I said the same, wives forget that we buy what we want over the course of the year, so by Christmas we don't need/want anything.

- We both agreed that it is an absolute must have for us, but want to be 100% sure any and all bugs/issues if any are worked out. We both feel that we dodged a bullet buying a NIB DP recently due to the current "Cleargate" fiasco. All is well currently though.

There are 7,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 144.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside