IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 144.
#1501 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I agree. I wonder if using a mouse (by hand) in Microsoft Paint could technically be considered hand drawn art too?

I assume all these guys are doing what ZY does. Using some sort of software/stylus. But again it doesn’t matter. All that matters is if you like the end product. Some will some won’t

#1502 4 years ago

The optimal room lighting for this game...

7E77E34F-677A-43E4-93DD-0BFD9A60F402 (resized).jpeg7E77E34F-677A-43E4-93DD-0BFD9A60F402 (resized).jpeg
#1503 4 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

A big problem could be with the projector. Looks cool in a pitch black room but in a well lit room or bright playfield, it may look washed out.

pardon me if im showing my ignorance, but doesnt almost every pinball machine look better in a dimly lit room?

#1504 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

pardon me if im showing my ignorance, but doesnt almost every pinball machine look better in a dimly lit room?

Yes. It’s really a non issue for home buyers or almost any location.

People just bored and looking for something to bitch about a usual.

#1505 4 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

The optimal room lighting for this game...[quoted image]

OMG! - classic

#1506 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Actually no, you really cant see the playfield art as well and in some cases the ball very well either with playfield strobing going on. Sometimes ambient lighting makes it easier on the eyes too. I don't play my games in a pitch black room for those reasons.

#1507 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The light bulb thing is SO dumb. The concern about forcing folks to play the game in the dark is something I can understand.

I usually play with lights low but sometimes I don't want to (feel like I'm going to fall asleep and I like seeing all the art) so not being able to play this game with full lights on with the prem and le could bother some

#1508 4 years ago

I only care about the art when I'm NOT playing. When I'm playing I'm looking at the ball and inserts.

#1509 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I only care about the art when I'm NOT playing. When I'm playing I'm looking at the ball and inserts.

when this game is off.. its going to look odd with the white everywhere

#1510 4 years ago

The latest tweet from Stern: https://twitter.com/sternpinballinc/status/1208797330029338626

The lights spell "Coming Soon"...

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 3.07.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-12-22 at 3.07.22 PM (resized).png
#1511 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

when this game is off.. its going to look odd with the white everywhere

Oh, the “it looks bad when off” arrives. Surprised it took so long for this, the most irrelevant of observations, to appear.

#1512 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh, the “it looks bad when off” arrives. Surprised it took so long for this, the most irrelevant of observations, to appear.

my tv is really boring, when its off.

#1513 4 years ago

Game looks very cool, think I may be grabbing this one in Premium or LE form. That will make my lineup three modern Stern machines (Elvira, Black Knight, Stranger Things) which makes me wonder, is it possible to setup one external subwoofer that gets shared by all three machines? I seem to recall a thread about doing that someplace, but can't remember where...

#1514 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I only have a deadpool premium so far, but i cant play it in dark. Looks cooler, but i cant see the ball well.

#1515 4 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I only have a deadpool premium so far, but i cant play it in dark. Looks cooler, but i cant see the ball well.

Pinstadium!

#1516 4 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

That will make my lineup three modern Stern machines (Elvira, Black Knight, Stranger Things) which makes me wonder, is it possible to setup one external subwoofer that gets shared by all three machines?

Yes!
https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/subwoofer-kits/products/pinsmx-passive-subwoofer-mixer

#1518 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

not totally irrelevant in my house. a lot of times we have people over, they dont want to play the game but like looking at them. theres also a million windows in my game room so may look bad even when on during the day.

but whatever, waiting for Pro details

#1519 4 years ago

My issue with doing this is that if you have multiple games on, they are all mixing into one garbled mess of bass that doesn't follow any one game. I use a manual selector switch that has no feedback between games. Each game outputs to this, and then its output goes to the sub high level input. That way only one game is sending a signal to the sub at any given time, and i can pick which one it is.

Five Input Source Tabletop Control Switch - https://www.amazon.com/Source-Tabletop-Control-Switch-Internal/dp/B0056DQT1A

#1520 4 years ago

Depends how you are going to use them. If you have more than one game going at a time, it doesn't really matter how you hook it up, it's all going to drown each other out anyway. If you mostly plan to just play 1 game at a time, then you can hook multiple to a single sub and it works fine without any kind of switcher. I think most people keep it to 2 games per sub max.

#1521 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The light bulb thing is SO dumb. The concern about forcing folks to play the game in the dark is something I can understand.
I usually play with lights low but sometimes I don't want to (feel like I'm going to fall asleep and I like seeing all the art) so not being able to play this game with full lights on with the prem and le could bother some

I'm with ya there. When I have friends and or family over I like having the lights on in the game room. It's more social with the lights on and people can easily see as they are coming and going from the basement. I can't even remember a time while at a barcade or arcade where the lights are off. Maybe having the lights off at an arcade was common in the 70's and 80's but not anymore.

The projector feature as a concept sounds nice but even in a dark room the colors look washed out and not very vibrant. It's an innovative feature but it just may not look very good.

#1522 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hand drawn includes digital today. It just means the art was created from scratch by the artist. This Stranger Things art looks hand drawn/painted (with digital tools like all art today). It’s just realistic in style, like Franchi art. It’s the style 80s movie posters were painted in...IMO its fitting for this theme.

Hey stop that...we can't be seen agreeing on stuff together. That'll just make things....weird.

#1523 4 years ago

I wonder what the white is coated with? Is it retro reflective, like a street sign, covered with microscopic glass beads?

Or is it a phospher like inside a CRT or the coating of an LED light bulb? To store a bit of latent light.

The projector probably isn't laser those use galvos and thus would be susceptible to vibrations.

#1524 4 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Game looks very cool, think I may be grabbing this one in Premium or LE form. That will make my lineup three modern Stern machines (Elvira,

I have pinnovators setup and its awesome

#1525 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Looking forward to the reveal and seeing gameplay for sure. Not interested in buying though because I've never seen the show. I've read enough about the show to know it's not for me....I don't enjoy kid shows at all.

With that mindset, you must hate:

The Goonies
All 8 or 9 Harry Potter movies
First 2 Home Alone movies

Quoted from Dkjimbo:

So what is the fallout from the leak of that video? Clearly Stern wasn’t happy about the leak and requested it get shut down on YouTube (which it has). How did the actual release video get leaked to begin with? Yes we all know Chris posted it first but how did he get his hands on it? That wasn’t the usual shitty grainy cell phone captures from the webinar it was the legit teaser video. How much hell broke loose at stern marketing department?

I'd highly suspect this was orchestrated intentionally. That or someone somewhere on the inside is getting away with this with nearly EVERY game that has come out since GB.

Please Stern, please prove your PF issues are over. I really want one of these, but not at the cost of watching my PF fall apart like I am in the Upside Down or something : (.

Quoted from HarrieD:

Video is down on youtube due to copyrights. Looking forward to the official release.

Good thing I d/l'ed the video before Stern had it pulled....there are still videos up if you know where to look on YT. Besides....they'll make their "oooo ahhhh" official reveal prolly in the next couple of days....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1526 4 years ago

why are people saying it was pulled from youtube, when its literally still on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stranger+things+pinball

#1527 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I hate cottage cheese

#1528 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Good thing I d/l'ed the video before Stern had it pulled....there are still videos up if you know where to look on YT. Besides....they'll make their "oooo ahhhh" official reveal prolly in the next couple of days....
[quoted image]

It’s still on Kaneda’s facebook page where it was first posted.

#1529 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I wonder what the white is coated with? Is it retro reflective, like a street sign, covered with microscopic glass beads?
Or is it a phospher like inside a CRT or the coating of an LED light bulb? To store a bit of latent light.
The projector probably isn't laser those use galvos and thus would be susceptible to vibrations.

Plus laser projectors are expensive. If Stern has more than $100 into this projector setup, I will be shocked. The washed out video says it's LED.

#1530 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I'd highly suspect this was orchestrated intentionally. That or someone somewhere on the inside is getting away with this with nearly EVERY game that has come out since GB.

It’s certainly possible that Stern is using some kind of marketing judo to trick Kaneda into leaking video, then sending out frivolous takedown requests to YouTube.

It’s also possible that some media intern accidentally published it early because it’s just pinball and nobody really cares.

#1531 4 years ago

Why all this talk about playing in the dark when absolutely no one here has ever played the game yet? We have no idea how well it does or doesn’t light up PF screen wise while playing in the light? Of course Stern has thought all these scenarios through and solved the issue before releasing the game. Sure it is shown being played in the dark, but as with almost all their promo videos; the games are being played in the dark in order to highlight the game only.

When actually standing over the machine, would think there will be no issues seeing the PF projected screens even in a lighted room, but we will see when we actually are able to play it. Video taken of projected video screens, never translate well through a video camera lens and always appear washed out to some degree. Video taken of a CRT screen show patterns rolling up the screen, that human eyes don’t detect, for example.

#1532 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Why all this talk about playing in the dark when absolutely no one here has ever played the game yet? We have no idea how well it does or doesn’t light up PF screen wise while playing in the light? Of course Stern has thought all these scenarios through and solved the issue before releasing the game.

You mean the Stern that simply disabled the feature in the software and called it literally "as designed" after the fact rather than fix the design issue they initially called "good enough" and shipped that completely broke the Martell mode of GoT? That Stern? I think you give them too much credit. Profit is top of the list, always. This could go either way given how washed out the video-mapped stuff is in that promo...

#1533 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

not totally irrelevant in my house. a lot of times we have people over, they dont want to play the game but like looking at them. theres also a million windows in my game room so may look bad even when on during the day.
but whatever, waiting for Pro details

Here's an idea...when you have people over and want the machines to look alive/snazzy, turn them on! I'm sure your friends will cut your "million windows" some slack

#1534 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Why all this talk about playing in the dark when absolutely no one here has ever played the game yet? We have no idea how well it does or doesn’t light up PF screen wise while playing in the light? Of course Stern has thought all these scenarios through and solved the issue before releasing the game. Sure it is shown being played in the dark, but as with almost all their promo videos; the games are being played in the dark in order to highlight the game only.
When actually standing over the machine, would think there will be no issues seeing the PF projected screens even in a lighted room, but we will see when we actually are able to play it. Video taken of projected video screens, never translate well through a video camera lens and always appear washed out to some degree. Video taken of a CRT screen show patterns rolling up the screen, that human eyes don’t detect, for example.

Hope you are right as this doesn't look good. Looks washed out and dull if I'm being honest with myself. To be fair video filmed of a Stern or JJP LCD doesn't look as good as it does in person so the vibrancy and overall effect of the projector toy may look much better in person.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#1535 4 years ago

I think we all just need to wait until we see the game....

#1536 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Depends how you are going to use them. If you have more than one game going at a time, it doesn't really matter how you hook it up, it's all going to drown each other out anyway. If you mostly plan to just play 1 game at a time, then you can hook multiple to a single sub and it works fine without any kind of switcher. I think most people keep it to 2 games per sub max.

If your sub has two inputs. One of mine only has one. For that, you need an A/B switch or you are going to back feed a signal into your other pin (if you piggy back them) and that could be bad! All you need is a simple switch like this one...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J6W8D0C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00

#1537 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hope you are right as this doesn't look good. Looks washed out and dull if I'm being honest with myself.
[quoted image]

I usually find myself agreeing with you, but not on this one. Looks cool and I like that it projects on spinners and drop targets too. Plus the look works for the drive-in theater vibe anyway - if this were in CFTBL everyone would be praising it.

I think this game will look cool in anyone’s game room.

#1538 4 years ago

Just noticed in the video the projector project the current mode timer on the stand ups. Genius. So many possibilities with this tech.

#1539 4 years ago

If you want to see what's possible with projection mapping just check out Vivid Festival that takes place in Sydney in April. Really impressive stuff.

https://www.vividsydney.com/
6f777dafab3c65bf57a9a14dadefeb33 (resized).jpg6f777dafab3c65bf57a9a14dadefeb33 (resized).jpgSydney-Opera-House-Vivid-Sydney-2 (resized).jpgSydney-Opera-House-Vivid-Sydney-2 (resized).jpg

PfBtKqr.gifPfBtKqr.gifvivid-festival10.gifvivid-festival10.gif
#1540 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just noticed in the video the projector project the current mode timer on the stand ups. Genius. So many possibilities with this tech.

Yeah, that was my favorite application of the tech. Very cool.

#1541 4 years ago

So the video is edited VERY carefully not to show balls rolling in front of the projections EXCEPT a very quick shot at the end where the ball is blocking the projection for the two standups on the right ramp as it rolls by. I wonder how distracting it will be to have a moving light block rolling around the playfield, blocking the graphics on the standups and targets at the very least when it's in the path of the projection.

NST_ball_roll.gifNST_ball_roll.gif
#1542 4 years ago

At BLINK in Cincinnati they use this tech too on the buildings and sync music to it. Looked awesome.

#1543 4 years ago

What's the difference in having a projector or having a small LCD/LED display? Am I missing something?

#1544 4 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

What's the difference in having a projector or having a small LCD/LED display? Am I missing something?

Display can't project onto ramps, targets, spinners, etc.

#1545 4 years ago

Not to much, except this screen folds down to create a ramp, which wouldnt work well with a screen.

Some of the most impressive Projection mapping involves rectangles, and cubes like in buildings.
In Shows, like IAPPA, there have been cityscapes where the cubes and rectangles change shape, mostly by raising and lowering, and the building facades change, as well as angle, light, sidewalk.
In say a Rampage themed pinball, one could change the cityscape scene, as well as various levels of destruction and fire.
There is even auto calibration mapping software on an amazing scale, that always kept the images aligned.

#1546 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

In say a Rampage themed pinball, one could change the cityscape scene, as well as various levels of destruction and fire.
There is even auto calibration mapping software on an amazing scale, that always kept the images aligned.

Yes please.

#1547 4 years ago

Deleted. All is shared in great videos.

#1548 4 years ago

That’s a screen shot from the promo video here.

#1549 4 years ago

Heres an old favorite....Looking for the others but not finding them...

#1550 4 years ago

MSRP pricing for JP is $9k LE, $7600 LE, $6k pro. Is Stranger Things supposed to be $200 more per model?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/31?hl=cgpinhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.