IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 144.
#1451 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Love Stranger things and this will definitely bring a younger audience to pinball, but looks like a typical Kinkos printed wide open playfield aka Stern Star Wars that is going upside down and DOA.
Guess we’ll find out if 15 year olds can get us pinball farts to buy them an $8k machine. Might work or die in a swimming pool like Barb

If you don't like the show or this pin, that's cool, but I don't think most will agree with you.

It is a fan layout, but I wouldn't call it typical. I believe this is Netflix's most popular show of all time, which makes it one of the most watched shows period. Netlfix has 150 million plus subscribers, and I imagine a high percentage of them (from all ages) have seen Stranger Things.

Projector mapping that will allow Stern to actively paint targets, it's likely to end up having 4 ramps, 3 different ball locks, 4 drops in the center with hopefully some cool stuff behind them, a complex demogorgan toy.

It's obviously way to early to tell a whole lot. Only time will tell how this pin shapes up, but to me it looks like it shows a ton of potential.

If the code falls flat it could suck...hopefully that doesn't happen.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Eddy. He's 3/3 with MM/AFM/, and The Shadow.
He knows how to make a fun game.

#1452 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Hey guys I just want to chime in and let everyone know we broke the 100 count vote for pizza.
114 votes for pizza so far, Papa John would be proud.[quoted image]

I don’t know if I’d call that pizza.

#1453 4 years ago

this pin looks awesome, interesting how it played out that Rick and Morty went own sale before this was revealed. I had to grab a spot on RaM but not sure how these will stack up.

I just started to watch both series and just 4 episodes in on both.

just my opinion but RaM is a better theme for pinball (I mean more comic and colorful) and I think comic animations are better than TV clips (but that said ST is a very good theme). I don't really have a strong opinion on RaM the show but just in general think it's a better theme.

Toys and features (IMO) it looks like ST has the strong edge (I assume need to get ST LE/premium).

I think both games look great and if not for the need to buy for RaM would have liked to wait and see which one was playing better. I still don't know anything really about how they will play.

If anything (might) be bad is that Lonny is on the code. I think he's fine but to me not on my list of guys I want to buy code games from. I am sure it will be fine code and to be honest he does a good job for the most part but I am more excited to think that RaM code team can do with Bowens, Eric and Scott on the code/rules.

#1454 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

this pin looks awesome, interesting how it played out that Rick and Morty went own sale before this was revealed. I had to grab a spot on RaM but not sure how these will stack up.
I just started to watch both series and just 4 episodes in on both.
just my opinion but RaM is a better theme for pinball (I mean more comic and colorful) and I think comic animations are better than TV clips (but that said ST is a very good theme). I don't really have a strong opinion on RaM the show but just in general think it's a better theme.
Toys and features (IMO) it looks like ST has the strong edge (I assume need to get ST LE/premium).
I think both games look great and if not for the need to buy for RaM would have liked to wait and see which one was playing better. I still don't know anything really about how they will play.

Buy ST now, play it, sell it (or something else) before RaM is ready.

#1455 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Buy ST now, play it, sell it (or something else) before RaM is ready.

You can probably do that with 8 pins in the time Spooky takes to put machine in box.

If you are over 500 on R&M you will be waiting a long long time. There still making ACNC and that was 2017

#1456 4 years ago
Quoted from Airball:

You can probably do that with 8 pins in the time Spooky takes to put machine in box.
If you are over 500 on R&M you will be waiting a long long time. There still making ACNC and that was 2017

Exactly. I never get these people that have 12 months or more to wait for their Spooky game complaining that they could have bought something that comes out immediately afterwards. You still have the bulk of your game budget so use it in the meantime, if that's your desire.

I personally like looking forward to the eventual arrive of my new Spooky game and can plan for it well in advance, whether that means buying another game to tide me over or planning to sell something before it arrives to cover the cost, make space, etc.

#1457 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Exactly. I never get these people that have 12 months or more to wait for their Spooky game complaining that they could have bought something that comes out immediately afterwards. You still have the bulk of your game budget so use it in the meantime, if that's your desire.
I personally like looking forward to the eventual arrive of my new Spooky game and can plan for it well in advance, whether that means buying another game to tide me over or planning to sell something before it arrives to cover the cost, make space, etc.

Agree.

#1458 4 years ago

That projector looks super cool! I've not actually gotten around to watching the show, but the game looks like it will be fun.

#1459 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think both games look great and if not for the need to buy for RaM would have liked to wait and see which one was playing better.

"need"? Um, it's a pinball machine. Not oxygen, food and water.

#1460 4 years ago

11:10AM on 12/22/2019, Stern posts "coming soon" with Stranger Things Christmas lights on their facebook page.

#1461 4 years ago

Stern has there Christmas lights up

#1462 4 years ago

So what is the fallout from the leak of that video? Clearly Stern wasn’t happy about the leak and requested it get shut down on YouTube (which it has). How did the actual release video get leaked to begin with? Yes we all know Chris posted it first but how did he get his hands on it? That wasn’t the usual shitty grainy cell phone captures from the webinar it was the legit teaser video. How much hell broke loose at stern marketing department?

#1463 4 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

So what is the fallout from the leak of that video? Clearly Stern wasn’t happy about the leak and requested it get shut down on YouTube (which it has). How did the actual release video get leaked to begin with? Yes we all know Chris posted it first but how did he get his hands on it? That wasn’t the usual shitty grainy cell phone captures from the webinar it was the legit teaser video. How much hell broke loose at stern marketing department?

I bet they are angry.

#1464 4 years ago

This is still there ..

6A737EED-DE72-449C-8197-8310C694EAA0 (resized).jpeg6A737EED-DE72-449C-8197-8310C694EAA0 (resized).jpeg
#1465 4 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

No question or doubt that video was handed to him for this purpose from Stern. Come on simple viral marketing.

#1466 4 years ago

Free press is free press.

#1467 4 years ago

I think this game looks like it will be really fun!

What looks awesome:

1. Eddy as the designer.
2. The projector: it looks great!
3. Magna lock looks cool!
4. Good variety of shots

What looks not so awesome:

1. Art: how the f*ck are we back to photoshop after years of great art? WTF?
2. Plastic ramp returns
3. I see balls getting magnitized pretty badly in this one.
4. Stern will NOT support you if you have issues with your playfield or any other cost cutting/manufacturing fiasco.

#1468 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Looking forward to the reveal and seeing gameplay for sure. Not interested in buying though because I've never seen the show. I've read enough about the show to know it's not for me....I don't enjoy kid shows at all.

I wouldn’t let any of my kids watch this. This is scary stuff. This is almost alien level.

#1469 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I think this game looks like it will be really fun!

What looks awesome:

1. Eddy as the designer.
2. The projector: it looks great!
3. Magna lock looks cool!
4. Good variety of shots

2. Plastic ramp returns
3. I see balls getting magnitized pretty badly in this one.
4. Stern will NOT support you if you have issues with your playfield or any other cost cutting/manufacturing fiasco.

1. It's a current franchise and I'm sure with Netflix it was the path of least resistance and of course cheaper. If you want CRAPPY art buy a Rick and Morty, well maybe its the puke color palette?

2. Don't love it but i can live with it.

3. I feel like i have a lifetime supply of balls still to use, no biggie!

4. My JPLE and ElviraLE have been phenomenal and issue free.

5. Lonnie Ropp is responsible for the code. Let's hope Eddy doesn't let him short change this game. BIGGEST "NOT SO AWESOME"

#1470 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I wouldn’t let any of my kids watch this. This is scary stuff. This is almost alien level.

Seriously? Alien is 10 levels beyond this show on the scary level.

#1471 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

No question or doubt that video was handed to him for this purpose from Stern. Come on simple viral marketing.

He says that Stern didn't release it to him... perhaps they did it through a back channel and he doesn't realize it.

#1473 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

This is very simple: the license holder doesn't automatically grant freedom of interpretation to someone like Stern. It's likely 10000% out of their hands. They were probably given an asset package OR strict guidelines to follow.

Most holders aren't drooling over a Zombie-Yetti makeover of their images and styles. Fact of doing business.

#1474 4 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

Credit goes to Kaneda's Pinball Podcast.
-Doug

Added yesterday: Update: Stern claimed copyright on the video and removed it from YouTube. Sorry folks!

Cary Hardy still has a video up.

#1475 4 years ago

If there were no actors on the playfield or backglass people would be screaming that it wasn't really Stranger Things but something in the "Stranger Things universe". As soon as there are actor likenesses approaching anything photo realistic it is complaining about photoshop.

I am no art critic, but I think they struck a good balance from what I have seen, given what they probably had to work with with the licensor. Not mind blowing amazing, but definitely not as clip arty looking as something like Tron, or even Avengers or Star Wars where every character was in a pose that has been seen 1 million times.

#1476 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Nothing compares to a external powered sub box.
Don’t fool yourself.

Yeah, but Pinwoofer!!! LOL.

I whole heartily agree with external subwoofers.

#1477 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Disagree, this captures the mood of the license really well.

It looks like an illustrated collage ‘80s movie poster, which is exactly what it should be. They did a great job.

#1478 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I don't believe it's Photoshopped. It looks like an artist's rendition to me.

I don't know if it's fair to say that Stern will NOT support you if you have issues. It still remains to be seen. There are number of people (myself included) with a playfield issue. I'm still waiting for a response. They are reviewing my pictures of my JP Premium with some chipping. Over 2 weeks now

#1479 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Disagree, this captures the mood of the license really well.
It looks like an illustrated collage ‘80s movie poster, which is exactly what it should be. They did a great job.

I guess I'm not into photoshop collages lol. Maybe they licence holder made them do this, but maybe not. Maybe Stern did't push for hand drawn art. Either way, hand drawn, if done well, is always better IMHO. It would have made the machine have that late 80s 90s feel, which suits to show perfectly. I think Stern would have had a pretty strong argument for it if they really wanted it.

#1480 4 years ago
Quoted from Airball:

Depends on your number. I’m lucky to have gotten a low 100’s one so expect it this spring.

#1481 4 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I don't believe it's Photoshopped. It looks like an artist's rendition to me.
I don't know if it's fair to say that Stern will NOT support you if you have issues. It still remains to be seen. There are number of people (myself included) with a playfield issue. I'm still waiting for a response. They are reviewing my pictures of my JP Premium with some chipping. Over 2 weeks now

I'm still waiting after several months of supposed "review," as are many others. I hope you're patient.

#1482 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I guess I'm not into photoshop collages lol

It’s not a photoshop collage. It’s hand drawn from assets. Think Star Wars.

#1483 4 years ago

You won’t see the art anyway - room will be too dark.

#1484 4 years ago

I just realized that some of the art is identical to what is on the poster hanging in my daughters room lol. She noticed it immediately

#1485 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I hope you're right. I just looked at the photos again, and it looks like photoshoped faces with a stroke around them. Can't tell by the low-def images though.

#1486 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Is it really hand drawn? Or is it digitally drawn via a Wacom using software?

#1487 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What’s the difference? Haha. Some will like the art some won’t. I was told it’s hand drawn. Take that for what it is.

#1488 4 years ago

Whatever it is, I hope the pro art is better. The art on premium it's just ok but should be amazing considering the material.

#1489 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Whatever it is, I hope the pro art is better. The art on premium it's just ok but should be amazing considering the material.

I think the art looks good so far, but these are screen grabs from a video. It resembles the show. I am going to wait for high res photos before passing judgement.

#1490 4 years ago

A big problem could be with the projector. Looks cool in a pitch black room but in a well lit room or bright playfield, it may look washed out.

#1491 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Spooky subs are not that great.
Yes, I have a TNA and bypassed the stock sub .
Nothing compares to a external powered sub box.
Don’t fool yourself.

Ya, I have two external subs on both my Star Trek pro and Hobbit LE and don't need one on my ACNC at all. So my Spooky has a better sub than a $9,000.00 Jersey Jack LE. Sure an external is better. I agree. But not necessary to have good lows like it is on my ST pro or Hobbit. That is my point.

f17ad714080c85324a0c27ae9a96e151ceab8e70 (resized).jpgf17ad714080c85324a0c27ae9a96e151ceab8e70 (resized).jpg
#1492 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You have to be joking?

About which part?

#1493 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I think the art looks good so far, but these are screen grabs from a video. It resembles the show. I am going to wait for high res photos before passing judgement.

Translite is shown clearly on a Stern developed teaser. I hope the pro looks better

#1494 4 years ago

#1495 4 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

A big problem could be with the projector. Looks cool in a pitch black room but in a well lit room or bright playfield, it may look washed out.

Wow nobody has brought that up for discussion yet

It’ll look fine in most situations. It’s to create atmosphere it’s not going to have important info on it.

#1496 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

All “hand drawn” art is digital now. Wacom is just a tool. Any good artist can use digital art tools to make art look like real pencil, ink and paint. Donnie, Yeti, Franchi...all digital.

#1497 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What’s the difference? Haha. Some will like the art some won’t. I was told it’s hand drawn. Take that for what it is.

There are differences. Using gouache, oil, pen and ink, or pencil looks different than refactoring assets in digital software programs using a tablet. And yes software can emulate the effects very well.

To be clear, I think the art looks fine. I was asking purely from a process curiosity standpoint, nothing positive or negative.

#1498 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

There are differences. Using gouache, oil, pen and ink, or pencil looks different than refactoring assets in digital software programs using a tablet.

I take hand drawn as being drawn with your hands. I could be wrong though. Never known a playfield to have art hand painted on it either.

#1499 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I take hand drawn as being drawn with your hands. I could be wrong though. Never known a playfield to have art hand painted on it either.

Hand drawn includes digital today. It just means the art was created from scratch by the artist. This Stranger Things art looks hand drawn/painted (with digital tools like all art today). It’s just realistic in style, like Franchi art. It’s the style 80s movie posters were painted in...IMO its fitting for this theme.

#1500 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hand drawn includes digital today. It just means the art was created from scratch by the artist. This Stranger Things art looks hand drawn/painted (with digital tools like all art today). It’s just realistic in style, like Franchi art. It’s the style 80s movie posters were painted in...IMO its fitting for this theme.

I agree. I wonder if using a mouse (by hand) in Microsoft Paint could technically be considered hand drawn art too?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/30?hl=imagamejunky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.