IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 144.
#51 4 years ago

If it weren’t for the playfield issues, I’d buy an LE.

#52 4 years ago

I like the show, and would be very interested but am only buy games from manufacturers that stand behind what they sell, not knowingly sell customers games with defects from the factory and do nothing about it to fix the issues.

R&M sounds interesting, if its good thats where my dollars will be going.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRush72:

Go dark mode in upside down with projection similar to blackout mod in ST except have the lasers white to look like the Upside down snow/ash or whatever that is.

What is upside down.? I 've seen this mentioned a couple times .

#54 4 years ago

following.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

It's like a different dimension. Same world, in parallel. Much more dark and full of monsters.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

The upside down is an alternate dimension mirroring the real world.

https://strangerthings.fandom.com/wiki/The_Upside_Down

#57 4 years ago

Thank you J85M, Newovad

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Upside Down is key to this game.
Curious to see what Eddy came up with.

I thing RGB GI bulbs would do this nicely. White light for normal play. Then the whole playfield changes colour for the upside down.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I thing RGB GI bulbs would do this nicely. White light for normal play. Then the whole playfield changes colour for the upside down.

Definitely seems like the most effective way of doing it especially since that’s the biggest change in the show the ambient lighting, lighting and red cracks all that could be done superbly with great RGB GI and Inserts. Also seems the most cost effective way to make the game physically change so that should tick Stern’s bean counter boxes.

#60 4 years ago

I am sure Eleven will be somewhere on the playfield and magnets will be present? I also thought Star Wars was going to have magnets on the playfield for Darth Vader to use his force-but I was wrong on that one.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Definitely seems like the most effect way of doing it especially since that’s the biggest change in the show the ambient lighting, lighting and red cracks all that could be done superbly with great RGB GI and Inserts. Also seems the most cost effective way to make the game physically change so that should tick Stern’s bean counter boxes.

Game of thrones changes the playfield colour completely and well. I’m sure lighting will be the best solution. There isnt enough real estate in a lower playfield to do anything substantial.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am sure Eleven will be somewhere on the playfield and magnets will be present? I also thought Star Wars was going to have magnets on the playfield for Darth Vader to use his force-but I was wrong on that one.

A shadow esque magnet would be cool to accent some shots in the back of the playfield.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Game of thrones changes the playfield colour completely and well. I’m sure lighting will be the best solution. There isnt enough real estate in a lower playfield to do anything substantial.

Yeah no lower playfield, more often than not they suck.

Badass lighting to switch between real world and the upside down. Magnet save between the flippers and maybe on the playfield somewhere like the right orbit on Elvis to hold and set up a shot, Eleven is constantly saving and helping the rest of the cast in Stranger Things so it would translate well if she/magnets helped and saved you.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

The only way it would be cool is if it was done Krull style. I really do not see that happening because of the required BOM. I now have my fingers crossed that it will be changes in GI lighting as discussed. Not interested in mini-playfields.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

The only way it would be cool is if it was done Krull style

Have you played Krull? The lower playfield feature is awful. Good way to shrink a full sized playfield though.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Magnet save

If they do a magnet save-please, please do not locate the button on the lock down bar

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Have you played Krull?

I have not had the pleasure of playing one yet. I just know that the mini-playfields are annoying to me. I like mini-pass through playfields like WH20 and Elvis but I got rid of my LUCI just because of the mini playfield.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Badass lighting to switch between real world and the upside down. Magnet save between the flippers and maybe on the playfield somewhere like the right orbit on Elvis to hold and set up a shot, Eleven is constantly saving and helping the rest of the cast in Stranger Things so it would translate well if she/magnets helped and saved you.

Agreed haven't found one lower I really liked. Although if they do, would be an easier pro decision for me

#69 4 years ago

I walked around the house all weekend depressed.(My wife kept telling me-it's just pinball) I have been chopping at the bit for Scott's next game that has been in the works for two years. I was really disappointed by the choice of theme, and it crushed my dreams. I do not watch adult cartoons and really do not see myself getting into it-as much as I really want to. Trying to shift my focus elsewhere-ie. Stranger Things. I also got a glimmer of hope for Led Zeppelin not being a re-skin, that really got my juices flowing. So many epic games coming out I really need to figure out what is good for me. Need to start thinning the herd or saving up-lots of good stuff on the horizon. Again-I really am excited to see what Eddy came up with-so excited!

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I walked around the house all weekend depressed.(My wife kept telling me-it's just pinball) I have been chopping at the bit for Scott's next game that has been in the works for two years. I was really disappointed by the choice of theme, and it crushed my dreams. I do not watch adult cartoons and really do not see myself getting into it-as much as I really want to. Trying to shift my focus elsewhere-ie. Stranger Things. I also got a glimmer of hope for Led Zeppelin not being a re-skin, that really got my juices flowing. So many epic games coming out I really need to figure out what is good for me. Need to start thinning the herd or saving up-lots of good stuff on the horizon. Again-I really am excited to see what Eddy came up with-so excited!

seriously - if pinball has that much of an effect on you, I would take a break. Relax and enjoy something else....

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

sorry to hear that you had your hopes up for Scott D game 2 but the theme did not deliver for you. I can imagine that is a bummer.
I hope stranger things works out for you. Always fun if you can have a game where it all comes together along with a theme.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

seriously - if pinball has that much of an effect on you, I would take a break. Relax and enjoy something else....

The thought has crossed my mind-this shit is worse than crack sometimes.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I do not watch adult cartoons and really do not see myself getting into it-as much as I really want to.

also, I would suggest giving it an open mind and binging your way through season 1.

For the personal investment you appear to have in wanting to like the theme for Scott D game 2, it would be only ~4.5hrs of your time in total to watch them. (they are like 20ish min).

I understand that you think of them as adult cartoons, but you are a smart dude and a nerd. R&M typically vibes with guys like us if you give it a chance.
There have already been quite a few people in the main R&M thread that appear to have done a similar thing and now are excited for the game.

If you like seaon 1 then you will love season 2, 3, and likely 4 (I have not seen any of 4 yet )

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I understand that you think of them as adult cartoons

Just not into adult cartoons-even when the humor is there. Not sure what it is but adult cartoons do nothing for me. I actually was surprised to see you get into it- I know you are not into TV. I also know that you would be willing to overlook to support Spooky-which is cool.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Just not into adult cartoons-even when the humor is there. Not sure what it is but adult cartoons do nothing for me. I actually was surprised to see you get into it- I know you are not into TV. I also know that you would be willing to overlook to support Spooky-which is cool.

I honestly have never been into theme. It does not really matter what themes are for me, because I never thought something I liked would ever make it to a pinball, lol.

I have always liked cartoons. We rarely watch TV, but I have seen every episode of simpsons, Futurama, Family guy, Enchanted, Bob's Burgers...
I find that I really like character development, wit, and dumb immature jokes all sprinkled in.
Wife and I also really like Shameless which is real people but fits the same bill for us.

If you want me to mail you season 1 of R&M on DVD, I would be happy to. Give it an honest chance (like I said, only 4 hours total and at 22min an episode, you could easily watch in 2 weeks with little effort)

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

The thought has crossed my mind-this shit is worse than crack sometimes.

A lot more expensive too, 1 LE is like a years worth of good quality crack

#77 4 years ago

This is the theme I am most excited about at the moment... really interested in seeing what they can do with it. Agree with a lot of above:

- Do something super cool with magnets... BSM mist multiball, shadow ball lock, almost anything in pinball magic by capcom (the wand, the levitating ball).
- Great lighting is a must.
- It must include Christmas lights.
- It needs to ooze that retro feeling the from the show...

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If you want me to mail you season 1 of R&M on DVD, I would be happy to

I really do appreciate the gesture, but I watched R and M all weekend trying to see what all the fuss was about-I actually found it to be toilet humor and not entertaining to me. You have to like what is personal to you-I am big into theme(unless it is a $2300 Barbwire that plays well). There are so many games with good themes and good gameplay that we have choices now. I am starting to run out of room and really need to pick and choose wisely now. Wish I could own them all, but now I go with themes that I can relate to.

Sorry for the soapbox talk-back to our regular scheduled programming-Stranger Things.

#79 4 years ago

YES. back to stranger things gents.

now, as for Stranger things, this IS HAPPENING. i have it on good authority. Christmas shipping.

so, if you like this theme, SYM, and get ready for a great Christmas.

HOG

#80 4 years ago

anchor.fm/bosshog

#81 4 years ago

Lighting and music are so important for this title.

They gotta get that right!

And using the shaker when 11 uses her special powers, and maybe the whole playfield going dark.

#82 4 years ago

I don't love contemporary live action TV-themed pinball machine themes, they generally come off to me as cheap/tacky and age the worst of all pinball themes. I'd put

CSI
Sopranos

on that list, with Wheel of Fortune an honorable mention.

Game of Thrones (never seen an episode) works better as it comes off as a generic fantasy theme to those who aren't indoctrinated and it has good theme music. Same with Walking Dead, which is just a stand in for a generic Zombie theme.

Not an NIB buyer but can't say I'm too excited about another tv show theme for a show I've never seen before and don't plan on watching anytime soon. As this is the first streaming TV show theme released, I find it even weirder. These shows don't really have a year-round presence; they get released, everybody binge watches them for a week or two, and then they fade from the consciousness until a year or so later when the next season is released. Not sure that's a great model for a pinball theme.

#83 4 years ago

For the Upside down, a mirror pops out, and you have to play the mode in reverse, Like BangerJay's
game at the pinball Olympics!

#84 4 years ago

I just hope there is room for the mod I want to make for this thing.

#85 4 years ago

Completely off topic... season 3 was very poorly written. Felt like they completely "phoned in" the entire season. I like the series but it felt so mediocre compared to the first two seasons. Felt completely the same with recent seasons of Ozark and to a greater extent, The OA.

#86 4 years ago

Hard to keep it up when they set the bar so high. I’ve loved this show for all three seasons.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't love contemporary live action TV-themed pinball machine themes, they generally come off to me as cheap/tacky and age the worst of all pinball themes. I'd put
CSI
Sopranos
on that list, with Wheel of Fortune and honorable mention.
Game of Thrones (never seen an episode) works better as it comes off as a generic fantasy theme to those who aren't indoctrinated and it has good theme music. Same with Walking Dead, which is just a stand in for a generic Zombie theme.
Not an NIB buyer but can't say I'm too excited about another tv show theme for a show I've never seen before and don't plan on watching anytime soon. As this is the first streaming TV show theme released, I find it even weirder. .

I think this is a real strong point against live-action tv generally. The CSI/X-files/Sopranos. I think they found a better way of handling the artwork by using Chris Franchi on Munsters but a brand seems to the way to go. I think music pins have had success in the art department due to the flexibility of musicians familiar with value of artwork on their albums. Tv shows really haven't incorporated art styles until GoT.

Stranger Things did buy into an art style and if they stick with the look and feel of the logo and treatments, I think they can succeed as simply strange/horror pin. Leaning into an artistic interpretation of the brand has been more successful than covering the cabinet with familiar faces.

All that being said, I hope those that want it, get it and enjoy it.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Completely off topic... season 3 was very poorly written. Felt like they completely "phoned in" the entire season. I like the series but it felt so mediocre compared to the first two seasons. Felt completely the same with recent seasons of Ozark and to a greater extent, The OA.

I liked all 3 seasons but I felt 2 was the weakest. I really wasnt feeling whatever they were trying to do with the Chicago kids. Just felt like they tried to incorporate someone elses idea and then literally made no mention of it since. I thought 3 was spectacular, but obviously everyone has an opinion.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

I liked all 3 seasons but I felt 2 was the weakest. I really wasnt feeling whatever they were trying to do with the Chicago kids. Just felt like they tried to incorporate someone elses idea and then literally made no mention of it since. I thought 3 was spectacular, but obviously everyone has an opinion.

Yeah. I kept waiting to see if they were going to tie that into something....but no.

#90 4 years ago

i loved season 3. was a slow burn but was great. Hoping the pin has aspects of it all.

#91 4 years ago

Season 3 of Stranger Things was amazing. Billy was awesome and such a great character. The sets were amazing and the creature was prob the coolest creature in any sci fi/horror genre. Overall an amazing watch and will be getting this game if it is true.

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

I really wasnt feeling whatever they were trying to do with the Chicago kids...

I somehow liked that part, but usually don;t care for the old spin off type episodes.

#93 4 years ago

I'd think the consensus overall, is that Season 2 was the 'worst' of the 3 so far, and that 3 sort of brought back the fun and magic of the show.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

I'd think the consensus overall, is that Season 2 was the 'worst' of the 3 so far, and that 3 sort of brought back the fun and magic of the show.

Hmm...I wouldn't agree with that at all. I felt like a lot of people were a little down on 3 becasue of the relationship angles going on.
It was also for sure the corniest with the super 80s movie tropes going on; but it didn;t bother me personally.

#95 4 years ago

I liked season 3 a lot. Brian Eddy can design some amazing mechs, so my expectations are pretty high. Does this theme have staying power? What about 5 years from now? Will it be be like 24, or CSI?

#96 4 years ago

if this game came out i would need to get it for just theme. i love this show so much and am excited for season 4. wondering if they are going to go with first 3 seasons or just the first season? would like to see a reference to PAPA while in pittsburgh for season 2.

#97 4 years ago

Stranger Things is Netflix's number 1 property and a HUGE phenomenon that extends beyond "just a TV show". 60 million people streamed the entirety of Season 3 within a month of release. Comparing it to CSI or the Sopranos is pretty off base.

I think this pin will sell well and be very popular on location.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from amstrick:

...60 million people streamed the entirety of Season 3 within a month of release. Comparing it to CSI or the Sopranos is pretty off base.

I think you should revisit CSI ratings

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think you should revisit CSI ratings

Season 8 of CSI (the year the pin came out) averaged 12.19 million viewers per episode. Revisit complete!

#100 4 years ago

come on stern leak some photos already....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/2?hl=bigsilverpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.