IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 144.
#1401 4 years ago

Kind of scary to think what some people might be spending on new Stern's based on some of these estimates for premiums.

#1402 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Kind of scary to think what some people might be spending on new Stern's based on some of these estimates for premiums.

Only thing scary thus far is my wife said we must get a Stranger Things LE. Makes me wonder what she bought herself for Christmas.

#1403 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

If you mean what I said, I was referring to whatever outrageously high prices Elvira went out. I don't know the breakdown of the 3 versions, and didn't really care, just that someone was trying to say Sterns were cheaper than Spooky for what clearly are not even comparable.

#1404 4 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

Only thing scary thus far is my wife said we must get a Stranger Things LE. Makes me wonder what she bought herself for Christmas.

Funnily enough my wife said we must get this as soon as I showed her the teaser today. She's obsessed with this show and even if I don't like the show so much I'm not saying no to a new machine

Looks interesting so far. Really looking forward to the reveal as I'm most likely in on a pro as the projector doesn't look good to me.

#1405 4 years ago

Yep showed my other half the teaser vid and she said we must get it lol... she rarely says that. Sooo...

#1406 4 years ago

Looking forward to some high res pics.

#1407 4 years ago

wonder if tomorrow is just the official release of this same video, or if more info.....want to see Pro.

#1408 4 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

wonder if tomorrow is just the official release of this same video, or if more info.....want to see Pro.

Monday for more.

#1409 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Great information, thanks for sharing! It sounds like Stranger Things is likely using a pico / micro LED projector that doesn't use a bulb? From what I've read those last 15,000 - 30,000 hours which is along the same lifespan as a TV.

Very unlikely Stern made their own projector. So once the games are out some Pinsider will open up the apron and figure out which brand/model projector is being used. Once that's known people can buy a spare if they are worried about it crapping out prematurely. Stern will have spares but it might be cheaper to source it yourself.

#1410 4 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Very unlikely Stern made their own projector. So once the games are out some Pinsider will open up the apron and figure out which brand/model projector is being used. Once that's known people can buy a spare if they are worried about it crapping out prematurely.

I think upgrading it to one with better light output (and resolution, depending on what it's being fed), is the more likely scenario.

#1411 4 years ago

Looks awesome!

Ugh, I’m going to have to sell another game...maybe two...to free up space. Man, Rick & Morty, JP, Stranger Things, Guns n Roses soon...so much incredible pinball coming out right now. We are in a golden age for the hobby right now, to be sure.

#1412 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have 2 major concern with this... with bulb life of the projector coming first. If you leave your pinball machine on all the time, like at an arcade, either that projector is on 100% of the time, eating the bulb, or the projector is off, which would leave a blank screen in the middle of the field. Replacement bulbs are not cheap... and if a bulb only lasts 2000 hours, that is a new bulb to buy every year if you have it on during opening hours. I would also be concerned with the bulb becoming dimmer over time. Admittedly, my knowledge of projector technology is a few years out of date, but there is a reason we all have LCD TVs in our living rooms instead of projectors.
If this is Stern's first internet connected machine, it could be a double edged sword. They could add new modes, seasons, special events, competitions, etc. but they could also start a monthly based fee service model. It would be really neat to have clips from Seasons 3 and 4 in there, but if there was a monthly fee involved I'd be out... especially if ceasing the monthly fee meant I no longer had access to the updated content. The end result here could potentially be that the incomplete base code is included with the machine, but any new goodies require a monthly fee.
O... and the machine looks like a ton of fun and congratulations to Stern and anyone who's snagging one.
[quoted image]

I Have to agree with you. This game has a big single point of failure, the projector. What’s the yearly cost of ownership of this game? If the projector craps out it makes the game unplayable. If Stern charges around $250 for a replacement node board then how much is a replacement projector module going to cost from stern $500 or $1000 or more? We don’t know at this point. Is the projector bulb replaceable when it burns out? It Should be, but we don’t know at this point. How much will a replacement bulb cost, what’s the expected life span of a bulb or the projector module before replacement is required? Just something to consider.

#1413 4 years ago

I believe this game has been in development for a while now? I'm sure stern has tested out things including the projector and they must be happy overall how it held up or they wldnt have chosen it ..right? Regardless there are some very well informed people on pinside and I'm sure someone will find a better replacement for cheap or a way to repair or upgrade the stern one cheaply. I believe the lifespan in home use will be fine anyway as most people don't play a whole lot. From my research it looks like 15000-30000 hours for this type of tech. Plus we spend 6-10k on pins if we need to spend 100-200 every few years is it a huge deal?I mean most spend 250-500 before they get their pin on 3d printed mods and lighting lol.

#1414 4 years ago

Never change pinside.

Someone let me know when the projector bulb discussion is over please.

#1415 4 years ago
Quoted from phalcon_2600:

I Have to agree with you. This game has a big single point of failure, the projector. What’s the yearly cost of ownership of this game? If the projector craps out it makes the game unplayable. If Stern charges around $250 for a replacement node board then how much is a replacement projector module going to cost from stern $500 or $1000 or more? We don’t know at this point. Is the projector bulb replaceable when it burns out? It Should be, but we don’t know at this point. How much will a replacement bulb cost, what’s the expected life span of a bulb or the projector module before replacement is required? Just something to consider.

They are not really bulbs anymore that used to cost a fortune and die fast. They are cheap leds. Nowaday you can get a pico projector for 100$ so I wouldnt worry much about it.

That being said this might be the pinball that gets me to sell one of mine and get one. It looks like a major step forward for Stern.

Between Elvira, JP and this one, I think Stern has upped his game.

#1416 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

someone was trying to say Sterns were cheaper than Spooky for what clearly are not even comparable.

I think IMDN Pro & JP Pro compare very favorably to Spooky pins. For me the ~$6k price point was good for Spooky. $7k+ feels like a lot.

#1417 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I think IMDN Pro & JP Pro compare very favorably to Spooky pins. For me the ~$6k price point was good for Spooky. $7k+ feels like a lot.

Bingo. Add shipping plus any "add ons" and the comparison is a Stern premium. Think about it.

#1418 4 years ago

Everyone is fretting about a projector on this pin and I am still sitting here wondering how the phone call went with ryanbrooks and his Distributor regarding his delayed MMr.....

#1419 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Got it. Forgot they switched to powder on standards w/ACNC.

Actually, that's just their standard hammertone paint they've been using since day 1. It's their base trim. The blue PC option on AC was extra.

I dig the hammertone, but the guy framing it like it's a value-add over Stern's crinkle black trim is really reaching. And then with the RGB thing. Some sterns have it, some sterns dont. I'm glad they don't all have it. The bag of skittles look is not always a good look. A playfield with 100% white or clear inserts to accomodate the rainbow bulbs doesn't look that great IMO either. Maybe I'm old school, but I like colored inserts and some restraint where the lights are concerned.

The real backglass is nice though. That's always a plus. And Spookys always have a powerful and punchy sound system, which I have yet felt the need to modify. Their cabinets are well made. They definitely shine in certain areas.

#1420 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I believe this game has been in development for a while now? I'm sure stern has tested out things including the projector and they must be happy overall how it held up or they wldnt have chosen it ..right? Regardless there are some very well informed people on pinside and I'm sure someone will find a better replacement for cheap or a way to repair or upgrade the stern one cheaply. I believe the lifespan in home use will be fine anyway as most people don't play a whole lot. From my research it looks like 15000-30000 hours for this type of tech. Plus we spend 6-10k on pins if we need to spend 100-200 every few years is it a huge deal?I mean most spend 250-500 before they get their pin on 3d printed mods and lighting lol.

I would say that YES it is a big deal, regardless of up front cost. That being said, I do agree that this would have been tested, granted I doubt they've tested it for life expectancy and relied on manufacturers numbers. However, the bulbs we are talking about here aren't overly expensive and will only go down in cost over time.

#1421 4 years ago

For what it’s worth, our projector is 13 years old, has been left on for days at a time - never changed the bulb.

#1422 4 years ago

The low end was under 7k, and 7k+ included a lot of things that don't come on Stern Pros and is still cheaper than Sterns higher models...people keep saying +tax and shipping as if Stern doesn't have that to also add on top (basically quit saying it because they nullify each other out). Now that being said you also have to consider that Spooky is a smaller company, ordering smaller #'s of parts, etc, which yes, can up their pricing due to sheer lack of numbers. From what we've seen so far BOM on R&M is higher than many Sterns as of late. I'm not one to consider that a selling point however.

#1423 4 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

Everyone is fretting about a projector on this pin and I am still sitting here wondering how the phone call went with ryanbrooks and his Distributor regarding his delayed MMr.....

Seriously...we need to focus on the REAL important stuff in this thread...inquiring minds want to know!

#1424 4 years ago

On the projector discussion. I think the prem /le models are primarily meant for the home use environment and the pro’s will find their way to the operators. So many hours of operation for these projectors wil not be the case. Projection time during attract mode will be limited to a minimum I guess.

And a led light source has a great overall mtbf.

#1425 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

I agree, the Pro will kill it on location.

Hmm, you see what is happening here. An 80’s style show which is from the high days of the arcade is bringing a cool pinball back into the “arcades”.

And we’re all alive to witness that all, hence, the most of us are old enough to witness both.

#1426 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

On the projector discussion. I think the prem /le models are primarily meant for the home use environment and the pro’s will find their way to the operators. So many hours of operation for these projectors wil not be the case. Projection time during attract mode will be limited to a minimum I guess.
And a led light source has a great overall mtbf.

We have all Premium and LE out on the route I help with. VERY rarely we'll run a pro, usually while waiting for the Premium to come out. There are plenty of operators that do the same, plus it will have to be running in attract mode all the time or there will just be a bunch of white panels all over the playfield.

And the time between FAILURE isn't as important as how long the light runs before it starts losing output lumens (dimming), especially since the cheap projector in this is pretty washed out at the beginning already.

#1427 4 years ago

we can bet that there is a price hike on this for sure.

#1428 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

we can bet that there is a price hike on this for sure.

$100.

#1429 4 years ago

Love Stranger things and this will definitely bring a younger audience to pinball, but looks like a typical Kinkos printed wide open playfield aka Stern Star Wars that is going upside down and DOA.

Guess we’ll find out if 15 year olds can get us pinball farts to buy them an $8k machine. Might work or die in a swimming pool like Barb

#1430 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Love Stranger things and this will definitely bring a younger audience to pinball, but looks like a typical Kinkos printed wide open playfield aka Stern Star Wars that is going upside down and DOA.
Guess we’ll find out if 15 year olds can get us pinball farts to buy them an $8k machine. Might work or die in a swimming pool like Barb

Maybe all pinside mancaves will have to go ganzfield on this pin in order for it to work properly?

#1431 4 years ago

Video is down on youtube due to copyrights. Looking forward to the official release.

#1432 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Video is down on youtube due to copyrights. Looking forward to the official release.

Kaneda still has it

#1433 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Never change pinside.
Someone let me know when the projector bulb discussion is over please.

The actual projector bulb will die before the discussion does.

#1434 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

You can still find other copies of it out there if you search for it on the interweb

#1435 4 years ago

Looking forward to the reveal and seeing gameplay for sure. Not interested in buying though because I've never seen the show. I've read enough about the show to know it's not for me....I don't enjoy kid shows at all.

#1436 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Looking forward to the reveal and seeing gameplay for sure. Not interested in buying though because I've never seen the show. I've read enough about the show to know it's not for me....I don't enjoy kid shows at all.

I can assure you it is not a kids show. I would not let my 5 year old watch it. Yes it has kids in it but it also has adult main characters that play a major role. It's a show that a lot of age groups can relate to. Don't let the kid aspect turn you off. Not telling you to watch it but give it a shot.

#1437 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We have all Premium and LE out on the route I help with. VERY rarely we'll run a pro, usually while waiting for the Premium to come out. There are plenty of operators that do the same, plus it will have to be running in attract mode all the time or there will just be a bunch of white panels all over the playfield.
And the time between FAILURE isn't as important as how long the light runs before it starts losing output lumens (dimming), especially since the cheap projector in this is pretty washed out at the beginning already.

The leaked info seemed to indicate that sterns intent for this pin is home use, I’m guessing particularly the premium and LE.

#1438 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

15 year olds? You apparently do not know the stranger things demographic.

#1439 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

15 year olds? You apparently do not know the stranger things demographic.

You would be surprised how many younger teens were dressed as STH characters at comic con this year.

#1440 4 years ago

Never bought a NIB, interested in this. Not excited that I would have to go Premium if I want what makes this machine special.

Spoke to my distributor, he didn’t cop to having a machine for Monday.

Kids have seen show yet, they are both (8&11) creeped out by concept and music. Might have to make then watch if we get pin.

Family sends them money for xmas, wish people still sent me money for pins!

#1441 4 years ago

My oldest kids are 11 and 9 and enjoyed the show. I also thought it was good especially season 1. I haven’t finished season 3 yet but my kids have.

#1442 4 years ago

Hey guys I just want to chime in and let everyone know we broke the 100 count vote for pizza.

114 votes for pizza so far, Papa John would be proud.

Papa-Johns.jpgPapa-Johns.jpg
#1443 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Hey guys I just want to chime in and let everyone know we broke the 100 count vote for pizza.
114 votes for pizza so far, Papa John would be proud.[quoted image]

Screen-Shot-2019-11-26-at-3.49.10-PM (resized).jpegScreen-Shot-2019-11-26-at-3.49.10-PM (resized).jpeg
#1444 4 years ago

They actually made a pinball game based on Stranger Things? Crazy. I must be getting old.

I voted for Pizza.

#1445 4 years ago

Spooky = no CC pooling and chipping. Sturdy cabinet, excellent upper playfield, better customer service, incredible sculpts and under glass world, awesome LCD animations, all led light show, real back glass, superior subwoofer in cabinet (don't need external one to get decent lows), awesome art package. I ordered mine with lighted speakers and eyeball grills with light diffusers, shaker, real knocker, pinblades, plastic protectors and target decals ALL INSTALLED and shipped for $7200.00. This is far more than any pro offers. And name one Stern premium at that price point?

#1446 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Spooky = no CC pooling and chipping. Sturdy cabinet, better customer service, incredible sculpts and under glass world, awesome LCD animations, all led light show, real back glass, superior subwoofer in cabinet (don't need external one), awesome art package. I ordered mine with lighted speakers and eyeball grills with light diffusers, shaker, real knocker, pinblades and target decals shipped for $7200.00. Name one Stern premium at that price point?

Stern games are better overall.

The day someone asks me to see my subwoofer, I'll know the tide is turning, though.

#1447 4 years ago

Let me know how the node boards fare a few years from now?
But in all fairness, Stern did start including service rails underneath the playfield again on pros..

#1448 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

So far, Stern games are better overall.
The day someone asks me to see my subwoofer, I'll know the tide is turning, though.

No they're not. And who would ask to see a subwoofer? They are for hearing, not seeing.

#1449 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Stern games are better overall.

You have to be joking?

#1450 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

No they're not. And who would ask to see a subwoofer? They are for hearing, not seeing.

Spooky subs are not that great.

Yes, I have a TNA and bypassed the stock sub .

Nothing compares to a external powered sub box.
Don’t fool yourself.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/29?hl=grimdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.