IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 144.
#1251 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Excellent. Thanks for answering questions. I don't know squat about Stranger Things. Never seen it so I guess that's why I am really out of the loop on this on this game and what it's all about.

Well I think just like Rick and Morty this will only get more people to watch the show. It’s not like GOT where it’s a major commitment. You can binge all three seasons in a weekend.

#1252 4 years ago

I still like STTH. To my eyes it easily and intuitively reads as STranger THings.

#1253 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:Well I think just like Rick and Morty this will only get more people to watch the show. It’s not like GOT where it’s a major commitment. You can binge all three seasons in a weekend.

I didn't know what Rick and Morty was either a week ago.

#1254 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Excellent. Thanks for answering questions. I don't know squat about Stranger Things. Never seen it so I guess that's why I am really out of the loop on this on this game and what it's all about.

fantastic show. For me, having lived through the decade of the 80s (like most of us , it had a real nostalgic hook. I’d say it’s a must watch

#1255 4 years ago

This projector could really help get new people understanding the game. Yes there are inserts that blink telling people what to shoot for, but for some reason, people don’t seem to see that. Projecting on to targets and ramps could be a huge game changer to help teach more folks the depth of the games. If the pro doesn’t have the projector it’s a bummer because location pinball is where we can bring more folks to the hobby!

#1256 4 years ago

IMO:
Season 1 was great
season 2 was kind of meh even though it had a great iconic monster visually
Season 3 was great again

#1257 4 years ago

Congrats to Stern for being outside the box on this one.

Very excited to see gameplay.

Love what I see so far.

#1258 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Pinstadiums arent needed on any pin imo... just a few spotlights is all u need by the flipper area.

My pinstadiums are my biggest pinball regret :/

#1259 4 years ago

What's all of this talk about just pros being on location? I must be lucky because the the locations that I go to always has the new premiums or LE's. Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor always has the newest game in LE form, which is just awesome. Marvin's in Farmington Hills has a mix of LE's, premiums, and pros.

#1260 4 years ago

Ive been waiting fir this reveal to decide on my next pin. Waiting for official stuff monday, but so far im torn. Im glad folks are saying production could last 2 years. Bc im just torn between 3 pins now. This(but worried about my bright room), star wars comic premium, and houdini.

Maybe I just go star wars now and get Stranger things later if i love it. Though theres something fun about getting the game early and learning it alongside everyone else....decisions.....

#1261 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

STN (Stranger Things Netflix) - when someone types ST this should pop up as an option, correct?

STN seems like short for Stern.

How about StTh

#1262 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

What's all of this talk about just pros being on location? I must be lucky because the the locations that I go to always has the new premiums or LE's. Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor always has the newest game in LE form, which is just awesome. Marvin's in Farmington Hills has a mix of LE's, premiums, and pros.

This is not common at all. Haha

#1263 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

This hobby is crazy sometimes. People are spending THOUSANDS on pinball machines and then they're concerned about changing a bulb once a year.
Get out of here.
I personally think the projector is just ok but the last thing I would complain about is changing the bulb.

It will probably be and LED projector. Where you never need to change the bulb.
And I bet if you already have a Netflix membership you wont need to pay a monthly fee.
The looks great! Internet connected with automatic code updates finally!

#1264 4 years ago

I bet there is a ramp/lock like on AFM behind one of the drops....making the jump ramp that drops down the 4th ramp.
I'm sure there is more going on behind the other drops too.

It looks like 7 ball paths, counting the jump ramp that comes down, but not counting whatever happens behind the drops, so that number will go up for sure.

Looking forward to seeing the full reveal.

Honestly, the only way I see this game not being a home run is if the code falls flat and the projection doesn't have enough variety. I like playing games in the dark and this seems like it will be needed and perfect for the theme/mood of this game.
372E22F5-E6BE-48CF-BF06-5C99F77124CF (resized).png372E22F5-E6BE-48CF-BF06-5C99F77124CF (resized).png

#1265 4 years ago

I have a friend who said he is done buying pinball. This theme would fit right in there for him.

I am anxious to see if this will crack his no buying spree. I hope so.

#1266 4 years ago

The game looks great.

Excited to live in an upside-down multi-verse where I can play both Stranger Things and Rick and Morty on location as pinball was meant to be played... 3 balls for $1 or 9 balls for $2.

#1267 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

The new technology on the market is laser projectors that get 20,000 hours. Hoping that is what they used, but doubtful because they’re much more expensive.

It probably be LED projector.
Laser projectors are very expensive. We have a Digital Projection, 4k Laser in our movie room. True 4k, 7500 lumens. On a 182 inch audio transparent screen and its great but cost as much as a small car.

D3E0FF4F-5210-4078-8AE6-29B5123D6BB7 (resized).jpegD3E0FF4F-5210-4078-8AE6-29B5123D6BB7 (resized).jpeg
#1268 4 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

It probably be LED projector.
Laser projectors are very expensive. We have a Digital Projection, 4k Laser in our movie room. True 4k, 7500 lumens. On a 182 inch audio transparent screen and its great but cost as much as a small car.[quoted image]

I would guess so as well. Now the difference between your projector and the one needed is that you only need a fraction of the power since you are looking at way closer distance and smaller size. I don't really know if that would make laser viable again... But again I think you are spot on with led. Can't wait till the reveal.

#1269 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Honestly, the only way I see this game not being a home run is if the code falls flat.....
[quoted image]

Well, it is supposed to be Lonnie, so that is a distinct possibility sadly.

#1270 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have 2 major concern with this... with bulb life of the projector coming first. If you leave your pinball machine on all the time, like at an arcade, either that projector is on 100% of the time, eating the bulb, or the projector is off, which would leave a blank screen in the middle of the field. Replacement bulbs are not cheap... and if a bulb only lasts 2000 hours, that is a new bulb to buy every year if you have it on during opening hours. I would also be concerned with the bulb becoming dimmer over time. Admittedly, my knowledge of projector technology is a few years out of date, but there is a reason we all have LCD TVs in our living rooms instead of projectors.
If this is Stern's first internet connected machine, it could be a double edged sword. They could add new modes, seasons, special events, competitions, etc. but they could also start a monthly based fee service model. It would be really neat to have clips from Seasons 3 and 4 in there, but if there was a monthly fee involved I'd be out... especially if ceasing the monthly fee meant I no longer had access to the updated content. The end result here could potentially be that the incomplete base code is included with the machine, but any new goodies require a monthly fee.
O... and the machine looks like a ton of fun and congratulations to Stern and anyone who's snagging one.
[quoted image]

Wouldn’t have to cost a fortune. No worries. Heatwise i would be more worried about the magnet.

In all great theme. Fun to see some innovation.

Good work stern. Lets hope the quality is there.

#1271 4 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Well, it is supposed to be Lonnie, so that is a distinct possibility sadly.

Agreed. That's what worries me.

#1272 4 years ago

Another cool looking pin!!!

#1273 4 years ago

First impressions...

The Good

The projector idea is very cool and I can't wait to see how well it works in person, and of course what kind of novel things they do with it.
The art seems fine for the theme. Could have been a hell of a lot worse.
Actual callouts and video from the series.

The (maybe) Bad

It feels like the giant screen blocks most of the back of the PF, giving me bit of a "Popeye" vibe. A bit claustrophobic. Have to play it in person to see if it's a real concern or not.
Having a giant video playing the middle of PF all the time might be off-putting.
The giant demogordon in the middle of the PF right in front of the flippers is a bit on the nose.
Kind of over basic fan layouts personally.

Overall I feel like they made this for casuals/new players. Easy shooting, easy to hit the monster in the middle, novel effects. Not sure how well it will be received by more experienced players, but there is always room on the pinball spectrum for a game like this. Hopefully it will bring newer players into the fold.

BTW I like the show well-enough and have watched all the episodes. I'm looking forward to playing this!

#1274 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

First impressions...
The Good
The projector idea is very cool and I can't wait to see how well it works in person, and of course what kind of novel things they do with it.
The art seems fine for the theme. Could have been a hell of a lot worse.
Actual callouts and video from the series.
The (maybe) Bad
It feels like the giant screen blocks most of the back of the PF, giving me bit of a "Popeye" vibe. A bit claustrophobic. Have to play it in person to see if it's a real concern or not.
Having a giant video playing the middle of PF all the time might be off-putting.
The giant demogordon in the middle of the PF right in front of the flippers is a bit on the nose.
Kind of over basic fan layouts personally.
Overall I feel like they made this for casuals/new players. Easy shooting, easy to hit the monster in the middle, novel effects. Not sure how well it will be received by more experienced players, but there is always room on the pinball spectrum for a game like this. Hopefully it will bring newer players into the fold.
BTW I like the show well-enough and have watched all the episodes. I'm looking forward to playing this!

Nice write-up, the fan layout makes sense though considering the potential increased audience. Actually am surprised that star wars didn't get the same treatment considering the reach of the license.

#1275 4 years ago

I’m in on an LE. Hopefully the HD glass is decent. If not I’ll swap in PDI.

#1276 4 years ago

Not sure what to think of this one. That big flat panel dominates pf and makes everything look flat. Whoever said it looks like a drive in theater was spot on. I prefer toys that are more mechanical and interactive. Cool it opens but then just a bash toy. All the dependence on the projector worries me. How is it going to look in bright lights? Video was shot in pretty dark lighting so don't think that was by accident. Interesting idea, though. Magnet holding balls is cool I guess but rather see more interactive use of magnets. Art is okay but overall doesn't look too inspiring. At least it's not the same cookie cutter layout with toys on springs, I will give it that.

#1277 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well I think just like Rick and Morty this will only get more people to watch the show. It’s not like GOT where it’s a major commitment. You can binge all three seasons in a weekend.

You are correct sir! I've never seen an episode. I have the first season on the way on Blu-ray.

#1278 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

You are correct sir! I've never seen an episode. I have the first season on the way on Blu-ray.

Hopefully we can geek out on this like we do on GOT!

#1279 4 years ago

This is very cool. Other future uses could be like a Haunted Mansion thing where they project faces onto a blank shape to create characters. Being able to actively label targets and shots has been a long time coming.

Lighting is going to be an issue though. Projectors are only as bright as the room is dark, if that makes any sense? Stern will have to undercrank their typical "see it from space" light scheme with this game. Buyers will put this in the darkest corner of their basement.

#1280 4 years ago

My gamerooms dark
My wife and I like the show.
And i can get a good discount with my stern rewards next year.

#1281 4 years ago

Trailer looks good! The projector feature looks cool but as others have said how well will it look like in a lighted room? The video Stern posted was shot in a very dark room and even then the image quality from the projector doesn't look that vibrant or bright. I'm personally not a fan of playing pinball with the lights off. Looking forward to the full reveal.

Did anyone catch who was doing callouts? Sounds like maybe you are playing as Jim Hopper? I thought I heard a David Harbour sound-a-like in there.

#1282 4 years ago

I’m happy i have Phillips hue lighting in my whole basement. Worth every penny.

#1283 4 years ago

Congrats to Stern for trying something new. Reveal stream will be fun.

#1284 4 years ago

This looks a little brighter than some of those snowflake/image projectors you see on peoples houses for christmas.

So congrats stern on utilizing christmas light technology again (cough star trek laser field cough).

Really, I just do not like fan layouts. I need that 3rd/4th flipper or upper/lower pf. Two flippers doesnt do it for me like it used to. Modes or not.

#1285 4 years ago

My take on the Great Projector Freak Out of 2019:

No it won’t work in a super bright room but who plays pinball in a super bright room? You should be shot.

Yes it will look the best in a very dark room.

In the middle - your average location or game room - it’ll look good enough. Most of these places have what you would call “mood lighting.” I doubt any of these projections are particularly important / high detail, it’s for atmosphere and the gimmick will work well enough in most lighting situations.

#1286 4 years ago

Sounds like maybe custom speech/ callouts from Hopper in that video?
(Kill the Demodogs, Hit the Demogorgon).
That will be cool if thats the case.

#1287 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Sounds like maybe custom speech/ callouts from Hopper in that video?

Me and bobukcat were talking about that. It’s either him or a voice actor that’s supposed to be him. I hope it’s him.

#1288 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Me and bobukcat were talking about that. It’s either him or a voice actor that’s supposed to be him. I hope it’s him.

If you can’t tell the difference what does it matter.

#1289 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It doesn’t really but the real deal is a good actor who clearly knows the role and the show. Might do a better job than an actor of an actor. Haha

#1290 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People will be able to tell. Nothing will sound as good as the actual actor who played the part. There are some exceptions though where it seems like the actor is just mailing it in with the callout work. The Karl Urban provided callouts for Star Trek come to mind as only being ok. Ernie Hudson seemed really into the work he did for Ghostbusters callouts as did Kevin McNally for Pirates.

Some voices are harder to impersonate then others. The ones provided for Guardians? Terrible. Avengers? Terrible. Stern JP is much better but its still easy to tell the callouts for several of the characters are not coming from the first film. The games that are filled with only 3rd party actor audio are the ones that suffer that most in my opinion. The huge plus with Stranger Things is that it will have licensed actor video with actor audio from the show for many (maybe all?) characters.

#1291 4 years ago

With the backboard magnet gone, the projector gone and the bashtoy being static,... what‘ll be left on the Pro? XD

#1292 4 years ago

Very interesting to say the least. I do like the idea of the projector but like others said overtime this will fade and in a normal lit room it seems to me it will look washed out. In a well lit room super washed out. In a dark room are you going to get a glare on the PF? Sure not going to look good with dimples. Basic fan layout...again. I do like the ball lock and the projector on the targets and spinner is super cool. It does look better than i thought it would.

#1293 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

With the backboard magnet gone, the projector gone and the bashtoy being static,... what‘ll be left on the Pro? XD

MMR stranger things retheme for 3k less. Not too bad actually.

#1294 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It doesn’t really but the real deal is a good actor who clearly knows the role and the show. Might do a better job than an actor of an actor. Haha

Def doesn't sound like him. I thought it was just generic guy #4 at Stern like they do for the other games. Sounded ok but not real deal or close.

#1295 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Def doesn't sound like him. I thought it was just generic but #4 at Stern like they do for the other games. Sounded ok but not real deal or close.

Direct feed of the audio on the teaser made it all seem fake to be honest.

#1296 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Maybe I’m going crazy too but CrazyLevi has been making a lot of sense lately!

#1297 4 years ago

Man I was hoping the hick voice guy from twd was gonna be harper

#1298 4 years ago

Most magnets get hot pretty quick. I wonder how this is going to hang on to one or two balls before it gets too hot and has to drop them? It's got to be an easy lock shot to speed up this process. I guess it's just one of the main ramp shots.

And if it does have to drop them... then what? Two ball multiball maybe?

#1299 4 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

Maybe I’m going crazy too but CrazyLevi has been making a lot of sense lately!

It's the new medication

#1300 4 years ago

Voices in that small clip sound great to me not sweating if it’s the real actor or not.

I can’t tell right now so it won’t matter later.

Stranger Things

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/26?hl=davi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.