IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 144.
#1201 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The pro has no projector. No white screen. Printed art instead.

So this is still a 3 part wall though with a large center section that's a dropping ramp in the middle ?

#1202 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

With the premium costing close to $8000, what is a projector upgrade going to run? Can't be just any projector if it has to fit under the apron I'm guessing.

8? 7300-7400 shipped right? Unless prices increased with this pin?

#1203 4 years ago

Also as someone who owns a mid level 4K projector (6-8k), the lamp half life lasts 2000 hours before noticeable brightness loss. The bulbs are less then $300 but inconsequential compared to the cost of the entire unit. The price of a small bulb won’t be anything more expensive than anything else in a pinball. Less than rebuilding flipper mechs. Stern built a higher end version for home users with new technology, not meant for the barcade. . They still are making a Pro.
PS.. nice projectors can be played with the lights on and still look great but that costs more.

ABFA0BCA-6369-4740-99B2-BAE50A8995EC (resized).jpegABFA0BCA-6369-4740-99B2-BAE50A8995EC (resized).jpegE7770DFA-9EF1-444D-B377-596DEA5869DD (resized).jpegE7770DFA-9EF1-444D-B377-596DEA5869DD (resized).jpeg
#1204 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Wondering why they would put a big blank screen in pro if there is no projector?

For the ramp?

#1205 4 years ago

So again, the reflection of the screen on the playfield. Why are you guys ignoring that? We already have problems with the translite reflecting on the glass, now youve got a double reflection in your face.

#1206 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Wondering why they would put a big blank screen in pro if there is nor projector?

maybe its meant to be a physical screen with artwork (not blank) and would still lower to expose the demogorgon

#1207 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Wondering why they would put a big blank screen in pro if there is no projector?
Is there a blank screen with printed art?

Everything is the same. But instead of a white screen it’s artwork printed on it.

#1208 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

So again, the reflection of the screen on the playfield. Why are you guys ignoring that? We already have problems with the translite reflecting on the glass, now youve got a double reflection in your face.

From the players view point it will be hardly noticed... the video was shot at a very low lockbar angle to show off the projection

#1209 4 years ago

STN (Stranger Things Netflix) - when someone types ST this should pop up as an option, correct?

Surprised I haven't seen too many "Take my money!" pics, , ,

Overall, pretty intriguing. I am completely worried how this will translate to a normally lit room with playfield glass on though. I should probably go eat some oatmeal, , ,

Glad it doesn't look like it sucks. Stern has apparently tried to raise the bar, and I can appreciate that! I'm also thrilled for people that have wanted this as their dream theme.

#1210 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Everything is the same. But instead of a white screen it’s artwork printed on it.

So you're saying the pro is the same as far as physical items but instead of white it's printed art?

#1211 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Plus as you play the pin the glossyness wears off and it won't reflect as much as time goes on...

#1212 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

For the ramp?

Yea I guess, but I would think it would look out of place without the projector?

Also wondering if you get ramp wear on pf, and if plastic Demo takes tons of hits and is subject to premature wear? Also looks like Demo may not be a gimme shot-actually looks difficult getting it in that hole(that's what she said)?

#1213 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So you're saying the pro is the same as far as physical items but instead of white it's printed art?

Sld be and it's missing the left ramp magnetic ball lock.

#1214 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Haha. Yes. But it won’t have the El magnets and not sure what else they dropped from it. Maybe no spinner? Haha

#1215 4 years ago

Looks like they were able to project on the spinner too. Amazing.

#1216 4 years ago

Stranger Things mod . Will fit neatly underneath the apron . Project all your favorite home movies as you play stranger things .
coming soon

AC80752D-654F-4CC8-9D3C-2BFBD122A1D3 (resized).jpegAC80752D-654F-4CC8-9D3C-2BFBD122A1D3 (resized).jpeg
#1217 4 years ago

Pinside: Stern doesn't innovate. I'm out.
Also Pinside: Stern is trying something new. I'm out.

#1218 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

8? 7300-7400 shipped right? Unless prices increased with this pin?

If I remember correctly retail is $7599 plus someone was talking about a $100 price increase with the new year. If you pay tax or shipping on top of that then your close or at 8K. If demand is high then distributors are less likely to take a few hundred off, we will see.

#1219 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

The very first issue that Stern should address in the reveal is how robust, reliable and easily serviceable the projector system will be. The entire pin revolves around and depends on it.

The projector effect looks really cool in the video! Having dynamic imagery projected directly onto physical things the bat hits the drops is very innovative and much more tactile than the P2K approach. Glad Stern is trying new things. I'm surprised they were able to put this kind of tech onto a game. Even the cheapest projectors are in the $50 - $100 range which is a a pretty expensive pinball mech compared to all the other mechs on the playfield.

As far as replacing the projector to one with higher resolution or higher light output that could be a challenge. There isn't a ton of room under the apron so you'd need to find one with just the right the size/shape to fit in the available space.

If you look at the budget mini projectors they are all different shapes and size with varying optic paths. The lens could be center mounted, to the left or right etc and the throw range (distance between the lens and where the image gets focused on to) would need to be the same as the Stern version. You would also need space to put in adjustment controls so you could center the image up/down and left/right to avoid mis-registration to the targets and keystoning. Also the brighter the light source the hotter it will get. If you went brighter you might need to worry about heat.

51h3LDGESuL._SL1000_ (resized).jpg51h3LDGESuL._SL1000_ (resized).jpg7120O0pH4JL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg7120O0pH4JL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg71lojWb5vaL._SL1200_ (resized).jpg71lojWb5vaL._SL1200_ (resized).jpg
#1220 4 years ago

Probably just be the alphabet wall on the pro

#1221 4 years ago

Would be cool to make an alternate color changing LED background translight with Mind Flayer as background. Also thinking a Polk Sub will make the sounds on this machine come to life.

mind-flayer.jpgmind-flayer.jpg
#1222 4 years ago

When I said it was very innovative pages back many said it was not and very pin2kish and nothing new
Sorry but this is very different and cld be very awesome if coded well and looks good in lower light situations which I believe it will . I showed my other half and she loves it and said we must get it.... which she has never said lol. Very excited to see more of this and how it plays. Good job stern and b eddy for trying something out of the normal...this is what I've been waiting for from you .

#1223 4 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Hawkins lab I believe

#1224 4 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

It’s a picture of the lab.

#1225 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Would be cool to make an alternate color changing LED background translight with Mind Flayer as background. Also thinking a Polk Sub will make the sounds on this machine come to life.[quoted image]

Mind Flayer LE?? Whoa baby. Not confirming, just saying that would be sweet.

#1226 4 years ago

WTF, I really want to love this one, but I'm not really digging what I see thus far. Art looks busy, and the huge drive-in screen/wall is really obtrusive.

I really hope the details make all the difference.

#1227 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

If I remember correctly retail is $7599 plus someone was talking about a $100 price increase with the new year. If you pay tax or shipping on top of that then your close or at 8K. If demand is high then distributors are less likely to take a few hundred off, we will see.

Shipping is included usually and definitely call around to different distros when the time comes.... u sld able get a premium less than 7500 shipped.

#1228 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

It is a wall.
Like the way the alphabet is projected onto it.[quoted image]

Yes, and if I recall (haven't seen season 1 since it came out), wasn't there a monster behind the wall at the Byers house?

#1229 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Yes, and if I recall (haven't seen season 1 since it came out), wasn't there a monster behind the wall at the Byers house?

Yes. In the upside down will was staying by his house and from time to time he would be able to see his mom through a gate that would open in the wall of their living room. And the demogorgon was able to get into their house that way too.

One thing they don’t explain too well in the show is how other gates open up besides the main one at the lab. Seems random.

#1230 4 years ago

How long are Stern production runs typically, let's say I would like to buy this next Xmas not this, would that be still in production?

#1231 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

So we could assume the standups, spinner, ramps etc would all get full color art as well instead of the white?

For pro, does it still have the side walls along the center screen? They don't seem to move on the Prem/LE, just more space to project on so not sure why you'd want them on pro. Getting rid of the side screens might open thing up a bit. Unless they need to be there to block the ball from getting trapped?

#1232 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Shipping is included usually and definitely call around to different distros when the time comes.... u sld able get a premium less than 7500 shipped.

Are you going to pay tax? Even at $7400, I shouldn't have to immediately upgrade the projector which was my original point.

#1233 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

How long are Stern production runs typically, let's say I would like to buy this next Xmas not this, would that be still in production?

Absolutely. Should have at least 2 years to still buy NIB

#1234 4 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

So we could assume the standups, spinner, ramps etc would all get full color art as well instead of the white?

Not sure. I would assume the spinner and targets will have art. Maybe the ramps are just typical ramps.

#1235 4 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

For pro, does it still have the side walls along the center screen? They don't seem to move on the Prem/LE, just more space to project on so not sure why you'd want them on pro. Getting rid of the side screens might open thing up a bit. Unless they need to be there to block the ball from getting trapped?

Seems like they could have just dumped the walls altogether, or even just a center wall that wasn't as tall to open up view of the playfield more if you don't have a projector.

#1236 4 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

For pro, does it still have the side walls along the center screen? They don't seem to move on the Prem/LE, just more space to project on so not sure why you'd want them on pro.

They appear to be there on the pro. The picture of the lab would look weird if they weren’t and also it would be easier to do that for stern as it’s the exact same mech. Just put art on one and leave it white on the other.

#1237 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have 2 major concern with this... with bulb life of the projector coming first. If you leave your pinball machine on all the time, like at an arcade, either that projector is on 100% of the time, eating the bulb, or the projector is off, which would leave a blank screen in the middle of the field. Replacement bulbs are not cheap... and if a bulb only lasts 2000 hours, that is a new bulb to buy every year if you have it on during opening hours. I would also be concerned with the bulb becoming dimmer over time. Admittedly, my knowledge of projector technology is a few years out of date, but there is a reason we all have LCD TVs in our living rooms instead of projectors.
[quoted image]

The new technology on the market is laser projectors that get 20,000 hours. Hoping that is what they used, but doubtful because they’re much more expensive.

#1238 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

The new technology on the market is laser projectors that get 20,000 hours. Hoping that is what they used, but doubtful because they’re much more expensive.

Ive replaced 90% of our laser projectors at work under warranty repair. Not a good technology. Maybe some day. Definitely not in a tiny projector.

#1239 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

When I said it was very innovative pages back many said it was not and very pin2kish and nothing new
Sorry but this is very different and cld be very awesome if coded well and looks good in lower light situations which I believe it will . I showed my other half and she loves it and said we must get it.... which she has never said lol. Very excited to see more of this and how it plays. Good job stern and b eddy for trying something out of the normal...this is what I've been waiting for from you .

Very innovative is a stretch but I agree that Stern is trying something new and for that kudos to them. I will go pro bc I'm a die hard fan and I want this for the break to share with family coming in but ultimately I might be back for a premium if the projector works well (so be on the lookout!). I usually play in a darker room but sometimes I don't and I'm not sure if I want to be forced to play dark otherwise I'm seeing blurry images and white ramp that's the only rub

As an Alien owner I know pinball can really work well and not be bright but this is taking that to the max.

Regardless they have the full assets, BE design and it's stranger things. Can't pass that up!

#1240 4 years ago

I know stern tests the hell out of their major mechs. Like when I was in there this year, they said they’ve been running the dragon from GOT non stop 24/7 since the game came out and it just died this summer. Haha.

I bet they have this projector setup and running constantly to get an idea of life span.

#1241 4 years ago

Looks great-can't wait to see some gameplay hopefully Monday?

Signing off-but will leave this tasty nugget-C418 Remix...

#1242 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Has stern released images?

#1243 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They appear to be there on the pro. The picture of the lab would look weird if they weren’t and also it would be easier to do that for stern as it’s the exact same mech. Just put art on one and leave it white on the other.

Makes sense from assembly and parts standpoint.

#1244 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Has stern released images?

Nope. Supposed to Monday.

#1245 4 years ago

Sounds like Chuckwurt is a little bit excited about this one.

#1246 4 years ago

Don’t worry when it comes out I’ll be hanging out in the club thread and let the bashing take over here. Haha.

But yeah, I’m pumped.

#1247 4 years ago

Looks just as expected, which is a good thing! Nailed the art.

I’m thinking Pro as long as there aren’t too many mechanical differences. The music just sets the mood, and it sounds like the show callouts are all in place.

The narrator seems to be ‘Generic Callout Man’ a la Star Wars, but I like what I see so far. Nice job Stern!

#1248 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Depending on how popular the game is, Stern could be making this for years. If it’s a dud (i.e., WWE ), the game could only be run for a year. If it’s good but unpopular (ie Mustang), the Premium run might get cut short but Pros might be made for a few years.

Ultimately it all depends on what’s selling.

#1249 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Don’t worry when it comes out I’ll be hanging out in the club thread and let the bashing take over here. Haha.
But yeah, I’m pumped.

Excellent. Thanks for answering questions. I don't know squat about Stranger Things. Never seen it so I guess that's why I am really out of the loop on this on this game and what it's all about.

#1250 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

But yeah, I’m pumped.

Me too. Psyched to see this one come to market

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Covington, LA
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Guilford, CT
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/25?hl=bgwilly31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.