IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 144.
#1151 4 years ago

Premium all day on this one fellas.
Just swap to a brighter projector and it will be amazeballs.

#1152 4 years ago

I am elated to have painted the walls in my game room high gloss black. This will look EPIC in my game room. Love what I see personally. I’m going to need to put some led strip lighting in between the tables so people can see billy. Billy needs to be seen.

#1153 4 years ago

Decent breakdown of the game.

#1154 4 years ago

This game feels like what revenge from mars should have been.

#1155 4 years ago
06DEF6EC-B0E4-4892-8512-8BAE604B2085 (resized).jpeg06DEF6EC-B0E4-4892-8512-8BAE604B2085 (resized).jpeg
#1157 4 years ago
54612839-6580-42C6-B6D2-60A43996C9CE (resized).jpeg54612839-6580-42C6-B6D2-60A43996C9CE (resized).jpeg
#1158 4 years ago

I loved the movie screen idea. The ball lock magnet on the back wall seems awesome too.

I'm curious about how this game will look in a well-lit area. I just searched all of Sterns teaser videos and none of them were in the dark. This one is so I'm guessing that anything less than the lighting they used would take away from the effects in the game.

I'm also assuming the one they showed was a premium? I wanna see the pro.

#1159 4 years ago

NST, SST, ST, EGGO, EGO, gah, I dunno. Gets confusing. Me, I'm just gonna call it... Stranger Things

#1160 4 years ago

Me about 30 seconds after waking up and seeing real pics of this game.

CYC-ApSUAAACV19 (resized).jpgCYC-ApSUAAACV19 (resized).jpg
#1161 4 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

This game feels like what revenge from mars should have been.

Revenge from mars is fine.
This feels like what later pinball 2000 games could have been.

#1162 4 years ago

the former writer in me noticed, the code in the vid has not settled on multiball names and such. Or they just didn't want to show. "TK" is used in copywriting as a placeholder (as in, "to come"), meaning you'll circle back there and fill in the content. Unless there is a character named TK on the show, ha. I know it was mentioned they weren't sure how many MBs there would be, so makes sense.

20191221_060803 (resized).jpg20191221_060803 (resized).jpg
#1163 4 years ago

My prediction..

With Internet connected pins coming from Stern, and this being a Netflix title...

Stern will update the game with the next season of the show. You’ll be able to play new modes and watch scenes of new seasons.

#1164 4 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

My prediction..
With Internet connected pins coming from Stern, and this being a Netflix title...
Stern will update the game with the next season of the show. You’ll be able to play new modes and watch scenes of new seasons.

not sure if they could pull that off, but it would be amazing if they could. I personally am REALLY LOVING the projection, but I happen to have the perfect room for it, dimly lit, dark walls, nothing but blue ambient lighting, etc.

either way, very giddy right now.

#1165 4 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

Btw, I agree with NST.
Full name of the machine is "Netflix Stranger Things" so why do we even need to think about it?
NST should be "official" abbreviation.

However, nobody uses AMCTWD.

#1166 4 years ago

So if the projector is only on the premium/le, what would the panels be like on the PRO? I assume you'd still have the 3 panels hiding the demogorgon. Would they be static artwork? That would be a huge difference. Game looks cool and innovative, can't wait to see more.

#1167 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Kinda looks like a little drive-in movie theater screen in the middle of the playfield.

That's a lot of obstruction in the middle of the playfield. Almost a wall. Center of the Drive In screen flops down into a ramp. Could have made a Drive In Movie pinball out of this one. Yeah, it's a Strange Thing alright. I dunno. Heck I liked the wrestling ring in WWE. Don't know about the Drive In Movie screen though. Probably not.

Maybe the Pro model will be more conventional... I would like to know what the Pro looks like.

#1168 4 years ago

Im guessing the wall is gone on pro and a static demigorgan is there.

#1169 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

That's a lot of obstruction in the middle of the playfield. Almost a wall. Center of the Drive In screen flops down into a ramp. Could have made a Drive In Movie pinball out of this one. Yeah, it's a Strange Thing alright. I dunno. Heck I liked the wrestling ring in WWE. Don't know about the Drive In Movie screen though. Probably not.
Maybe the Pro model will be more conventional... I would like to know what the Pro looks like.

It is a wall.

Like the way the alphabet is projected onto it.

1_3YYW57e-PFZHF6TOcF_D9g (resized).jpg1_3YYW57e-PFZHF6TOcF_D9g (resized).jpg
#1170 4 years ago

Impressed with the projector innovation, but it has to work well cos there aint anything else in terms of playfield thats special.

#1171 4 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

But worried how it could be washed out in certain game rooms. I guess we have wait and see

Baby pin stadiums will solve this!

#1172 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

It is a wall.
Like the way the alphabet is projected onto it.[quoted image]

Kinda looks like she got caught taking a leak on the coffee table

#1173 4 years ago
Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Finally, a game I could play in our crappy lighted game room![quoted image]

Sterns biggest gift: we won’t have to read about Pin Stadiums in every single STH thread.

Oh wait...

#1174 4 years ago

Looks intriguing. LOTS of inserts, lots of code updates and rules coming...

Like others have said, I wonder how the projector situation will work in the real world. That said, I really hope the pro has the projector, this would seem like a different game without it.

I kind of wish they had a third (or fourth) flipper and something different for the basic layout. This is part of why JP2 is so loved currently...and part of the reason for the stampede toward Rick & Morty.

But it certainly looks highly atmospheric of the series and I look forward to playing this! Might be super fun! All depends on the execution of the code, modes and rules.

#1175 4 years ago

The very first issue that Stern should address in the reveal is how robust, reliable and easily serviceable the projector system will be. The entire pin revolves around and depends on it.

#1176 4 years ago

My game the room is only lit by the pins most of the time, so this is perfect. Hate playing in bright light anyway.

Callouts, sounds, music, actors from the show? Fantastic.

As far as theme integration, the looks top notch. Something we're always bitching about.

Magnet backboard lock looks great. One of the coolest shots in KISS, and now we have multiple.

Demogorgon looks like what Maiden *should* have had, instead of just a ramp & target.

Premium/LE-worthy to me. We all love the theme at home.

#1177 4 years ago

Well, this is interesting. STH is the very first and ONLY pinball machine that my daughters are actually asking me to buy.

They never want to talk Pinball... rarely play pinball... and they are totally hyped for it.

I think it’s awesome that Stern is building such a red hot theme that crosses generational lines (without being a property that’s existed for decades). We need more of this

#1178 4 years ago

I have 2 major concern with this... with bulb life of the projector coming first. If you leave your pinball machine on all the time, like at an arcade, either that projector is on 100% of the time, eating the bulb, or the projector is off, which would leave a blank screen in the middle of the field. Replacement bulbs are not cheap... and if a bulb only lasts 2000 hours, that is a new bulb to buy every year if you have it on during opening hours. I would also be concerned with the bulb becoming dimmer over time. Admittedly, my knowledge of projector technology is a few years out of date, but there is a reason we all have LCD TVs in our living rooms instead of projectors.

If this is Stern's first internet connected machine, it could be a double edged sword. They could add new modes, seasons, special events, competitions, etc. but they could also start a monthly based fee service model. It would be really neat to have clips from Seasons 3 and 4 in there, but if there was a monthly fee involved I'd be out... especially if ceasing the monthly fee meant I no longer had access to the updated content. The end result here could potentially be that the incomplete base code is included with the machine, but any new goodies require a monthly fee.

O... and the machine looks like a ton of fun and congratulations to Stern and anyone who's snagging one.
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#1179 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

The whole center mechanism looks interesting.
Towards the end of the video you can see the 4 center drops open up, a ball comes out from behind them for multiball, then they close up again. Cool!

Are there also two more drops behind to the left and right of the front four? Looks like a stand-up dead center as well.

Drops (resized).pngDrops (resized).png
#1180 4 years ago

This hobby is crazy sometimes. People are spending THOUSANDS on pinball machines and then they're concerned about changing a bulb once a year.

Get out of here.

I personally think the projector is just ok but the last thing I would complain about is changing the bulb.

#1181 4 years ago

Wow way to go Stern!

Very innovative and different. Cant wait to play it and I really think code will be amazing on this one. Wondering what the Pro will be like?

Great job Stern!

#1182 4 years ago

Not liking the art?
Everything just looks Strange!

Want to like it but not getting a good feeling yet?
Please don't let me buy another Munsters.
Fingers crossed.

#1183 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

It’s the same thing but the projector screen isn’t white it has a picture of the lab on it.

#1184 4 years ago

Look at the glare/reflection of the projected screen on the playfield too. Im not so sure you guys are going to want anything but the pro.

#1185 4 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Im guessing the wall is gone on pro and a static demigorgan is there.

Is the "demigorgan" the thing that looks like a plant vagina that you shoot the balls into when the movie screen flops down and turns into a ramp

#1186 4 years ago

man I can’t wait to flip this thing!

The smooth action of the screen opening up is awesome. Glad they used a motor there. A little bummed the layout is more AFM than shadow, but no worries. Can’t deny how great AFM shoots.

All comes down to how fun the rule set is, and I can’t wait to dive in!

#1187 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Is the "demigorgan" the thing that looks like a plant vagina that you shoot the balls into when the movie screen flops down and turns into a ramp

Yes. They are the foot soldiers of the super monster that is called the Mind Flayer.

#1188 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

man I can’t wait to flip this thing!
The smooth action of the screen opening up is awesome. Glad they used a motor there. A little bummed the layout is more AFM than shadow, but no worries. Can’t deny how great AFM shoots.
All comes down to how fun the rule set is, and I can’t wait to dive in!

not gonna lie, i felt a little sad for you. watched the video 3 times and didnt see a 3rd flipper

#1189 4 years ago

But still, nothing official from Stern.......

#1190 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes. They are the foot soldiers of the super monster that is called the Mind Flayer.

Ok - makes sense - a big ugly plant vagina would be a Mind Flayer !

#1191 4 years ago

The play field art looks pretty terrible. So many inserts, scattered clip art.

#1192 4 years ago

Look at Billy's possessed face on the backbox side art-looks psycho-flipping love it!

ST Billy.jpgST Billy.jpg
#1193 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

All comes down to how fun the rule set is

Code is going to make or break this game

#1194 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have 2 major concern with this... with bulb life of the projector coming first. If you leave your pinball machine on all the time, like at an arcade, either that projector is on 100% of the time, eating the bulb, or the projector is off, which would leave a blank screen in the middle of the field. Replacement bulbs are not cheap... and if a bulb only lasts 2000 hours, that is a new bulb to buy every year if you have it on during opening hours. I would also be concerned with the bulb becoming dimmer over time. Admittedly, my knowledge of projector technology is a few years out of date, but there is a reason we all have LCD TVs in our living rooms instead of projectors.
If this is Stern's first internet connected machine, it could be a double edged sword. They could add new modes, seasons, special events, competitions, etc. but they could also start a monthly based fee service model. It would be really neat to have clips from Seasons 3 and 4 in there, but if there was a monthly fee involved I'd be out... especially if ceasing the monthly fee meant I no longer had access to the updated content. The end result here could potentially be that the incomplete base code is included with the machine, but any new goodies require a monthly fee.
O... and the machine looks like a ton of fun and congratulations to Stern and anyone who's snagging one.
[quoted image]

You are making an assumption about the type of bulb used. Projector technology has come a long way, and many are now using led lights now, even for full size projections. Not saying you are wrong, because I certainly dont know, but this very well could be an led projection lamp. Worst case, it isnt, and wont cost as much as you think, since the power is so low. The lamps you used are designed to throw x amount of lumens in a 144" (or larger) area, were talking about minimal lumens in a 4-5 " area assumed to be dimly lit, very, very low power in comparison, and therefore (worst case) much longer lasting then a typical full size movie projector.

Then again, its pinball, so if a 60 dollar part breaks once a year, im fine with it.

#1195 4 years ago

You ask for innovation you got it, you want video assets, you got it, killer theme ,check. Stop finding reasons to complain. The LE won’t work in bright areas, my flashlight doesn’t work well in the daytime because it’s not meant to. The pro which is made for operators won’t have that issue.
The pro may be completely different like Game of Thrones or GB. I think the projection is a great innovation that we keep asking for. The fact they mentioned 40 modes for the home environment backs up the thought that the Premium /LE are for collectors and the Pro is for on location!

#1196 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Look at Billy's possessed face on the backbox side art-looks psycho-flipping love it![quoted image]

ABSOLUTELY! Im going to have the most awkward game room layout ever trying to show off Billy.

#1197 4 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Premium all day on this one fellas.
Just swap to a brighter projector and it will be amazeballs.

With the premium costing close to $8000, what is a projector upgrade going to run? Can't be just any projector if it has to fit under the apron I'm guessing.

#1198 4 years ago

@ Chuckwurt

Do we know for sure the Pro has a screen on it, or is it an assumption that minus projector the Pro has a wall/screen with artwork on it ? Maybe it will look like a billboard with a center drop ?

#1199 4 years ago

The pro has no projector. No white screen. Printed art instead.

#1200 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The pro has no projector. No white screen. Printed art instead.

Wondering why they would put a big blank screen in pro if there is no projector?

Is there a blank screen with printed art?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lewiston, NY
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/24?hl=pinchild and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.