IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 142 of 144.
#7051 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO!
Had no idea this exact moronic conversation has been going on at least 15 years. It hits all the exact same beats that get thrown out here 100 times a week now. "My new Stern is dimpling...all bally williams games dimpled too...no they didn't stern is cheaping out...yes they did a steel ball is harder than wood yada yada yada."
The best post would be right at home here in 2020..."What is Stern making these pf's out of, balsa?"
Well, I hope Derek didn't take too much of a "dimple hit" when he sold his NASCAR. Kind of surprised though he usually sold his games before 100 plays back then.

That thread is exempt cause it has carguments in it lol. That was a good read thinks for the link.

#7052 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I played Hilton's pro at the R&m stream.
One big thing I noticed was the artwork on the backglass (the 3 kids) reflects so brightly onto the glass that it obscures the four bank target area making it kind of hard to see if it's open or not.
Made demogorgan mouth shot once. It really does feel like a carnival game plenty of good shots didn't go in.

Newer Sterns (I think everything since Spike became a thing?) have a great setting which lets you adjust the brightness during gameplay independent of attract mode. A few quick clicks, and the op could make that problem go away. I go down to about 15% during gameplay at home. Still looks nice and backglass reflections are a thing of the past. And as soon as it's game over, it goes right back to full brightness until the next game. Sure beats having to put a strip of electrical tape over the front of the florescent tube or take out half the backbox GI bulbs like the "old days"!

#7053 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I played Hilton's pro at the R&m stream.
One big thing I noticed was the artwork on the backglass (the 3 kids) reflects so brightly onto the glass that it obscures the four bank target area making it kind of hard to see if it's open or not.
Made demogorgan mouth shot once. It really does feel like a carnival game plenty of good shots didn't go in.

You can set it so the back box lighting is super dim when you’re playing a game then goes back to full brightness for attract mode.

#7054 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Had no idea this exact moronic conversation has been going on at least 15 years. It hits all the exact same beats that get thrown out here 100 times a week now.

They even had a Levi!

#7055 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

They even had a Levi!

Yes, that was kind of my point.

And of course, he was right.

#7056 4 years ago

Many have asked...why doesn’t Stern fix their QC issues? Let me start by saying I really do enjoy Stern pins a lot but feel they absolutely should and could be so much better when it comes to their quality. Stranger Things seems to have reached a new low when it comes to QC. The problem is Stern is currently manufacturing 2500 pins per month, which is about the limit of what they can produce with their current facility and production schedule. So until this changes with demand going down, they unfortunately don’t care at the moment and can continue to slowly raise prices as well.

#7057 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And of course, he was right.

I'm not sure you want to hitch your wagon to that horse.

#7058 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Dimpling seems like such a weird thing to get hung up on. Pooling and chipping is unacceptable, of course, but a metal ball striking a wooden surface imparts a force that has to go somewhere, and you can be sure a solid steel metal ball is going to win that battle 100 times out of 100.
Some playfields may be worse than others, but it will happen given enough time and action.

And this ladies and gentlemen, is a case study in why Stern continues to get away with this bullshit.

I heard a guys game blew up and killed his dog. Anything less than that is fine by me.

#7059 4 years ago

Well, I finally played Stranger Things today. Unfortunately, it was only the Pro.... But that was all I needed to play to get an idea for the shots, rules, sights, sounds etc.

Ok first... The Good:

1) Stranger Things theme. Awesome

2) Music when you plunge the ball. Who doesn't like the opening theme song? Just gets you going somehow

3) The ramp shots are smooth. The left ramp flows very nicely, if it would get rejects like apparently some of the LE's have, that would be a bummer

The Bad:

Well, everything else. Keep in mind, if I like a machine I just buy it. I don't have a bias, especially with a dream theme. I normally would just buy it for the theme alone. This one I had to really play first.

Upon first glance when you walk up to it, it's so damn basic. Like, super bare. You can look for 5-10 seconds and see every shot in the game. When you're used to playing MET, IMDN, JP2, etc and a couple machines down there is Munsters (more on that in a bit), Guardians, etc. It really puts things into perspective.

Notwithstanding the ramp shots which I think are good and I don't mind the plastic ramps .. the rest of the shots are so whatever. The right orbit to the pops is so unsatisfying. Shooting at 4 drop targets in the middle that literally result in STDM 40% of the time is just not very interesting.

The main center shot are drop targets. Those should be secondary or some other shots, but not the main ones when a game has no other real targets to shoot at.

Then the ramp came down and the Demo head is exposed. I actually was able to hit it on the 3rd shot so no problem there. But then the ramp came up... And the music got quiet .. and it started all over again. It was a feeling of .. "this is it???"

It just simply was not satisfying to work your way up to the ramp coming down, and then just beating this thing over and over. That's literally the main thing to shoot for in the game and it was less satisfying to hit then the Well Walker guy on TWD. At least TWD had multiple things to hit which offset that. But imagine TWD with only the Well Walker?

Anyway.

The worst thing about is when the game throws a ball back out on the playfield from the left Orbit. You don't see it come out anywhere, it literally just trickles out the side orbit like a lethargic old man trying to get out of his Cadillac. This should have been a scoop of some sort. It's so underwhelming.

The left shot to the Demo head is also clunky and really, totally pointless and it goes under the mech, disappears, and you hear it rattling around a bit .. then.... Trickles back down the playfield.

However, I do like the flow of how the left Orbit works and returns to the flipper.

Overall, this felt EXACTLY like the typical Lonnie coded game... But paired with a very basic playfield. At least Aerosmith had a Borg layout that could really make up for the weak coding.

I hate to say this, but when you have modern day designers like Elwin and you're used to playing his games... Then you go back to the old school guy who tries his shot at a modern pin... It just really felt like the old guy gave it his best but the new guys are where it's at. Like an old boxer trying to get into the Octagon with a new and young MMA fighter .. like, A for effort and I appreciate the effort, but .. it's time to hang em up.

I know people won't like this review. And they'll get angry. I may even get downvotes from those that get anxiety and punch their phones, PCs, tablets.. whatever device when they read this.

But honestly. It's just an OK game. So much more could have been done to this theme.

Then my wife and I played the black and white Munsters.

See, Pinside hates this game. You read things here and you'd thing it's the worst Stern game ever.

Well I never played that one either.

We played that and had a blast! So many more satisfying shots... Faster paced... And the mini playfield with the secondary buttons and mini flippers and balls was actually pretty fun. We left Stranger Things and just chilled on that for a while. It made STh feel so bare and bland.

When you don't play the latest and greatest and you get a chance to play two newer ones side by side for the first time.. and you ignore the Pinside opinion shit... You'd be very surprised what your own opinion will be.

And the crazy thing is... Munsters just seemed so much better than Stranger Things. Which is weird because I love Stranger Things as a theme and I could give two shits about the Munsters show ... But themes aside.. the layout and everything else is just better for Munsters.

I wanted to love STh but man. Such a bummer (in my opinion)

#7060 4 years ago

Go play the LE at AYCE because the projector is a game changer.

#7061 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Well, I finally played Stranger Things today. Unfortunately, it was only the Pro.... But that was all I needed to play to get an idea for the shots, rules, sights, sounds etc.
Ok first... The Good:
1) Stranger Things theme. Awesome
2) Music when you plunge the ball. Who doesn't like the opening theme song? Just gets you going somehow
3) The ramp shots are smooth. The left ramp flows very nicely, if it would get rejects like apparently some of the LE's have, that would be a bummer
The Bad:
Well, everything else. Keep in mind, if I like a machine I just buy it. I don't have a bias, especially with a dream theme. I normally would just buy it for the theme alone. This one I had to really play first.
Upon first glance when you walk up to it, it's so damn basic. Like, super bare. You can look for 5-10 seconds and see every shot in the game. When you're used to playing MET, IMDN, JP2, etc and a couple machines down there is Munsters (more on that in a bit), Guardians, etc. It really puts things into perspective.
Notwithstanding the ramp shots which I think are good and I don't mind the plastic ramps .. the rest of the shots are so whatever. The right orbit to the pops is so unsatisfying. Shooting at 4 drop targets in the middle that literally result in STDM 40% of the time is just not very interesting.
The main center shot are drop targets. Those should be secondary or some other shots, but not the main ones when a game has no other real targets to shoot at.
Then the ramp came down and the Demo head is exposed. I actually was able to hit it on the 3rd shot so no problem there. But then the ramp came up... And the music got quiet .. and it started all over again. It was a feeling of .. "this is it???"
It just simply was not satisfying to work your way up to the ramp coming down, and then just beating this thing over and over. That's literally the main thing to shoot for in the game and it was less satisfying to hit then the Well Walker guy on TWD. At least TWD had multiple things to hit which offset that. But imagine TWD with only the Well Walker?
Anyway.
The worst thing about is when the game throws a ball back out on the playfield from the left Orbit. You don't see it come out anywhere, it literally just trickles out the side orbit like a lethargic old man trying to get out of his Cadillac. This should have been a scoop of some sort. It's so underwhelming.
The left shot to the Demo head is also clunky and really, totally pointless and it goes under the mech, disappears, and you hear it rattling around a bit .. then.... Trickles back down the playfield.
However, I do like the flow of how the left Orbit works and returns to the flipper.
Overall, this felt EXACTLY like the typical Lonnie coded game... But paired with a very basic playfield. At least Aerosmith had a Borg layout that could really make up for the weak coding.
I hate to say this, but when you have modern day designers like Elwin and you're used to playing his games... Then you go back to the old school guy who tries his shot at a modern pin... It just really felt like the old guy gave it his best but the new guys are where it's at. Like an old boxer trying to get into the Octagon with a new and young MMA fighter .. like, A for effort and I appreciate the effort, but .. it's time to hang em up.
I know people won't like this review. And they'll get angry. I may even get downvotes from those that get anxiety and punch their phones, PCs, tablets.. whatever device when they read this.
But honestly. It's just an OK game. So much more could have been done to this theme.
Then my wife and I played the black and white Munsters.
See, Pinside hates this game. You read things here and you'd thing it's the worst Stern game ever.
Well I never played that one either.
We played that and had a blast! So many more satisfying shots... Faster paced... And the mini playfield with the secondary buttons and mini flippers and balls was actually pretty fun. We left Stranger Things and just chilled on that for a while. It made STh feel so bare and bland.
When you don't play the latest and greatest and you get a chance to play two newer ones side by side for the first time.. and you ignore the Pinside opinion shit... You'd be very surprised what your own opinion will be.
And the crazy thing is... Munsters just seemed so much better than Stranger Things. Which is weird because I love Stranger Things as a theme and I could give two shits about the Munsters show ... But themes aside.. the layout and everything else is just better for Munsters.
I wanted to love STh but man. Such a bummer (in my opinion)

Got a friend who is not on pinside with 3 munsters (2 pro and 1 LE) of which he'd be happy to sell. If you ever want an introduction.

Personally Its not for me as it is too shallow for my liking. I agree with the points you made regarding STHLE and zi also agree that the projector makes a big difference in uniqueness imo

#7062 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

What's up bud !!! Good to see you on this thread. I might take you up on that. Maybe we could meet up there and play a few games on it. I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Disclaimer, I've never purchased a Pro before.. only Prem or LEs so I'm open to seeing if the projector and UV add on could change the "bareness" of the Pro I played.

#7063 4 years ago

I walk up to my afm and I can see every shot, the playfield looks bare but looked how that game turned out. You need to play the LE, the projector is the game, i have a friend who played the pro and did not like it than played my LE and he couldn't stop playing it. No comparison its literally a different game. I would never buy a pro, I want the game how it was meant to be.

#7064 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I walk up to my afm and I can see every shot, the playfield looks bare but looked how that game turned out. You need to play the LE, the projector is the game, i have a friend who played the pro and did not like it than played my LE and he couldn't stop playing it. No comparison its literally a different game. I would never buy a pro, I want the game how it was meant to be.

I have owned an AFMr and it definitely has more going on to me. Esp the alien targets that jump up and down. It's like STh needed just one other thing to shoot at...

But yes I def do need to check out the LE.

#7065 4 years ago

The first image is the pinstadium uv lights which work with the games code and the other pic is sterns uv kit which washes out the projection even more.

f4befb643a37a025e03548b99ca25fbb23c66e7d (resized).pngf4befb643a37a025e03548b99ca25fbb23c66e7d (resized).pngScreenshot_20200219-202600_YouTube (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200219-202600_YouTube (resized).jpg
#7066 4 years ago

NEW CODE! Stern Pinball has posted new Stranger Things code v0.85.0 for the Pro, Premium, and Limited Edition

Pro – v0.85.0:
https://sternpinball.com/?post_type=game_code&s=Stranger+Things+Pro

Premium – v0.85.0:
https://sternpinball.com/?post_type=game_code&s=Stranger+Things+Premium

Limited Edition – v0.85.0:
https://sternpinball.com/?post_type=game_code&s=Stranger+Things+LE

LE/PRE V0.85.0 - February 19, 2020
=====================

- Added logic to hold up balls from being kicked out of the trough while the center
ramp is being lowered. This helps with balls getting temporarily stuck under
the ramp.
- Raised the priority of Bust Out and What's That background display effects.
Now, starting a chapter mode with Bust Out or What's That active will result
in Bust Out or What's That being the primary background display/music.
- Changed the criteria for when Demodog Targets are allowed to advance the
Demodog Attack feature.
- Added audits to the Demogorgon modes/multiball for KILLING a Demogorgon via
a body bash/hit.
- Added a Demogorgon mouth entrance switch closure audit.
- Added the Demogoron to ball search.
- Changed the rules/shots for What Mama Says. Now the center shot/arrow is no
longer available. Instead, shoot ramps, orbits or inner lanes. A blinking
arrow still indicates a shot's score award is doubled.
- Added a UV lamp test which is accessible in Diagnostics via the menu
Diag->Lamp->UV Test. This test is available when the adjustment
"UV Kit Installed" = YES.
- Fixed a bug in Turn up the Heat and Break Out that could cause the game to
reset when the mode prematurely ended via draining into the trough.
- Fixed a bug in Lure Dart where the mode timer was not being displayed on the
LCD screen.
- Changed some text in Sound Test to match the speech being played.
- Changed the default value for left billboard rotation. This will make it look
look correct in projector test so it matches what's actually in game.
- Now Dart Pop animations stay visible longer before fading out.
- Modified the Demodog M and O target animations to independently show when the
respective drop targets in front of them go down, if they are able.
- Removed mode timer information from the Left Billboard during Turn up the Heat
as this is a non timed mode.
- Fixed a bug where the mode timer was still being displayed on the Left
Billboard during a mode's grace period.
- Fixed issue with the M and O targets in projector test so that they're
individually controllable.
- Added Demodogs animations to the M-O targets.
- Added new Dart artwork to the pop bumpers.
- Added the M and O targets to projector test.
- Added drop target logic to trip/reset the drop targets during projector test
to allow projected images to appear on non obfuscated surfaces. Drops will
reset upon exiting projector test, if necessary.
- Now the red borders are thinner on all of the projector test surface images
so they overlap less on other surfaces.
- Added a custom font for the Left Billboard and center justified it's mode
timer digits.
- Fixed an issue where the right target at the left ramp did not adhere to the
projector diagnostics coordinate settings.
- Modified the jackpots displays on the ramps in TK MB to stop showing during
MB grace period.

- Updated 10 band graphic EQ to have 15 slider settings (was 120) above/below
the neutral center line.
- Renamed Util->Volume->Speaker Balance to Speaker Fade. This adjusts the volume
levels of the cabinet (front) and backbox (back) speakers. The term Balance
was misleading and implied adjusting the level of the left and right backbox
speakers.

#7067 4 years ago

Awesome. Releasing updates in the middle of the night!

#7068 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

What's up bud !!! Good to see you on this thread. I might take you up on that. Maybe we could meet up there and play a few games on it. I'd be willing to give it a shot.
Disclaimer, I've never purchased a Pro before.. only Prem or LEs so I'm open to seeing if the projector and UV add on could change the "bareness" of the Pro I played.

Anytime...Hit me up.

#7069 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Anytime...Hit me up.

Will do brother !!!

I gotta say I'm really impressed with the rapid code releases of this pin and even others. Stern has definitely cranked up their code updates.. very nice

#7070 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Will do brother !!!
I gotta say I'm really impressed with the rapid code releases of this pin and even others. Stern has definitely cranked up their code updates.. very nice

Everytime I see yet another update for all the recent releases I tip my glass to the forgotten and left behind Munsters.

#7071 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Everytime I see yet another update for all the recent releases I tip my glass to the forgotten and left behind Munsters.

It's crazy, I've read so many negative opinions on the game I thought I'd be playing a total pile of crap when I played it for the first time.

I thought the layout and shots were super fun, music and sound effects were cool and it was fast paced and kind of reminded me a bit of Monster Bash in a weird way. It gets a lot of shit here and is a great example of how Pinside can totally influence your mindset on a machine (good or bad) before actually playing a machine.

#7072 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

It's crazy, I've read so many negative opinions on the game I thought I'd be playing a total pile of crap when I played it for the first time.
I thought the layout and shots were super fun, music and sound effects were cool and it was fast paced and kind of reminded me a bit of Monster Bash in a weird way. It gets a lot of shit here and is a great example of how Pinside can totally influence your mindset on a machine (good or bad) before actually playing a machine.

But.. but.. it is so shallow... Why. Why is Herman taking a bath?!? What does he have to do at work later...what?..

Ok start all modes and gamble when to collect via dragcar side shot.. that's the depth of the whole game.

The playfield layout is fine. It's the undeveloped code that frustrates the hell out of me. None if it flows or makes sense.

#7073 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

I just played ~10 games on an LE. Game changer? We must have been playing different games

This game is so incredibly lame. Top 5 criticisms:

- Monotone audio...main them is cool, but shot choreography couldn't be more "meh".
- The wow factor of the projector images wore off very quickly. Much prefer the virtual images on DI's Quantum Reality Theatre.
- Almost no callouts.
- Boring shots.
- The demogorgon was very tough and not so satisfying. Made the shot once out of 10 games.

From my perspective, this game is for hardcore ST fans that *aren't* hardcore pinball fans. I guess the code could help elevate the game, but I don't have much hope. Still think it will do fine on location, despite my criticism.

#7074 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

- Monotone audio...main them is cool, but shot choreography couldn't be more "meh".

Did you play the show modes? They are the exact opposite of monotone. But if this was on location I don’t doubt the audio experience left lots to be desired. And not sure what shots have to do with audio.

Quoted from snaroff:

From my perspective, this game is for hardcore ST fans that *aren't* hardcore pinball fans.

Agree on the first half of the sentence, not the second. I think it’s plenty fun and very approachable for newbs or vets. Just need to dial this thing in. And admittedly that’s not an easy feat at all.

If the demo isn’t makable, it really destroys the experience too. Those modes are awesome when you can make it consistently.

Shots are typical, but the burn it back loop is very very satisfying especially when you loop it 5 plus times in a row.

#7075 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Did you play the show modes? They are the exact opposite of monotone. But if this was on location I don’t doubt the audio experience left lots to be desired. And not sure what shots have to do with audio.

I didn't play many of the show modes. I think audio choreography is what amplifies a shots effectiveness/feel. TRON is a great example...the ramp shots are cool, but the audio amplifies the coolness.

For me, AFM's basic shot layout "works" because it's the total package (humor, callouts, audio, dots, etc.). It all fits beautifully together. I didn't get that synergy from Stranger Things.

I'd play it on location, but couldn't imagine owning this title...just me.

#7076 4 years ago

Finally got to play the Premium at the official launch with the UV kit. While it definitely makes the game cooler, I still think it's absolutely not worth 300 extra bucks and should have been included. Insane.

#7077 4 years ago

Nothing in pinball is worth the money but we do it anyway cause pinball is awesome.

#7078 4 years ago

At our launch party last night (on two pros) I actually overheard some players who have expressed that they don't like the game starting to come around. We're only at v.0.85. Will this game be great? I actually kinda doubt it, but it is fun and getting better all the time. I have yet to play the premium or LE.

#7079 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

At our launch party last night (on two pros) I actually overheard some players who have expressed that they don't like the game starting to come around. We're only at v.0.85. Will this game be great? I actually kinda doubt it, but it is fun and getting better all the time. I have yet to play the premium or LE.

I anticipate I’ll have similar feelings on this in the end that I do of Guardians. Solid solid game but nothing that’s gonna take down the likes of TWD, GOT and JP for me.

#7080 4 years ago

I thought I wouldn't like it, but the projector is awesome and I think the UV kit will add an incredible layer of immersion. I liked playing the LE so much I ordered a premium. I will definitely be getting the UV kit. Shots are smooth with good flow. I found hitting the Demogorgon very satisfying. I liked how it moves in the LE/premium version. And the ball lock is just cool. To each their own, but this game one me over after 3 plays.

#7081 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I thought I wouldn't like it, but the projector is awesome and I think the UV kit will add an incredible layer of immersion. I liked playing the LE so much I ordered a premium. I will definitely be getting the UV kit. Shots are smooth with good flow. I found hitting the Demogorgon very satisfying. I liked how it moves in the LE/premium version. And the ball lock is just cool. To each their own, but this game one me over after 3 plays.

That's great to hear. I noticed you have a good amount of deep objective based games in your collection. Those are the types of rulesets I gravitate towards. Do you think the ruleset in Stranger Things is similar to other deep objective based games that tend to feel like a journey through the themes story?

Also, I like that Stern seems to be giving a lot of attention to expanding use of the projector. I was worried that there would only be a few animations but thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case. Still hoping for much more improvements in regards to mode choreography. Depending on how the code turns out I can see possibly getting a premium down the road.

#7082 4 years ago

"Do you think the ruleset in Stranger Things is similar to other deep objective based games that tend to feel like a journey through the themes story?"

I'll let you know in about a month!

#7083 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

For me, AFM's basic shot layout "works" because it's the total package (humor, callouts, audio, dots, etc.). It all fits beautifully together. I didn't get that synergy from Stranger Things.

STLE is an amped up AFM, similar to how Beatles is an amped up Seawitch....which is a good thing! Owned and played AFM for years and have no desire to own another, but enjoy the game play. Stranger Things scratches that itch in a creative and innovative way. Projecting any image on the targets, ramps, etc feels like the possible future of pinball. Pin2000, but better.

I own and love JP3. Is this it? No, but no other game is and I actually feel ST is a great compliment to it.

Play what you like!

#7084 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

STLE is an amped up AFM, similar to how Beatles is an amped up Seawitch....which is a good thing! Owned and played AFM for years and have no desire to own another, but enjoy the game play. Stranger Things scratches that itch in a creative and innovative way. Projecting any image on the targets, ramps, etc feels like the possible future of pinball. Pin2000, but better.
I own and love JP3. Is this it? No, but no other game is and I actually feel ST is a great compliment to it.
Play what you like!

We all obviously "Play what we like!"...no one is forcing me to play STLE

I understand that people *want* STLE to be an amped up AFM, but I don't see it. The software just doesn't sparkle.

Other than the shot layout, how is this "an amped up AFM"?

#7085 4 years ago

It's the same layout and rules just like afm and even has the same extra ball animation. Stle has a better ball lock a projector, deeper rules and more multiballs and plays super fast and smooth, and still only at .85 code. I own both and both are great games.

#7086 4 years ago

Also there is Total Isolation instead of Total Annihilation and they are started almost exactly the same way.

#7087 4 years ago

The rules of TI 1 is very similar to TA too. Collect jackpots to pump up the super jackpot collect at the center shot. AFM collects at the lock shot, but same premise.

#7088 4 years ago

So I played this LE on location in Raleigh at the Boxcar, about 20 games... It was on. 84 code..I know this cause the machine froze up and restarted on me one time... but man, talk about frustrating... I hit the glass more than the damn vibrating butthole. Some shots felt good, some just got lost in the playfield and trickled out like an old man with prostate trouble. I hit the demo mouth 1 time... I lost count of how many times I tried... The lock on the wall only would keep 1 ball.. everything else rejected... The targets were already getting dirty and starting to peel off if not completely off already...Overall, a very ..very disappointing experience. I guess at home, I could dial it in but this is definitely not a game for the route... Just too many intricacies that make it not fun at all if the slightest thing is out of wack... Don't get me started on the airballs... Every shot to the drop targets airballed.. the playfield looked like the moon... Also, the lights were pretty low in the barcade and the ramps were completely washed out, main screen was just okay...Shit..I wanted this to be good
20200224_015642 (resized).jpg20200224_015642 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200224-104803_Photos (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200224-104803_Photos (resized).jpg

#7089 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The rules of TI 1 is very similar to TA too. Collect jackpots to pump up the super jackpot collect at the center shot. AFM collects at the lock shot, but same premise.

Isnt this the same as how Where's Barb works? Build jackpot on ramps, in and outer orbits and then collect with middle shot?

#7090 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Isnt this the same as how Where's Barb works? Build jackpot on ramps, in and outer orbits and then collect with middle shot?

Not sure. Before it was hit one to two shots and it was over. Haven’t played it much on the new code. That would be good if they updated the rules of that mode.

Now they need to do the same for the second demo dog mode.

#7091 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Agree on the first half of the sentence, not the second. I think it’s plenty fun and very approachable for newbs or vets. Just need to dial this thing in. And admittedly that’s not an easy feat at all.
If the demo isn’t makable, it really destroys the experience too. Those modes are awesome when you can make it consistently.
Shots are typical, but the burn it back loop is very very satisfying especially when you loop it 5 plus times in a row.

The Burn It Back loop is one of my favorites in pinball so far.

#7092 4 years ago

Apologies if this is already been addressed in the thread, I just did a quick search and didn’t see any info.

Finally got to play the LE tonight and the projector image was pretty blurry. Is this something that can be adjusted? It was rough - almost to the point of being unreadable, I was pretty surprised.

#7093 4 years ago

There is a manual focus on the projector

#7094 4 years ago
Quoted from amstrick:

Apologies if this is already been addressed in the thread, I just did a quick search and didn’t see any info.
Finally got to play the LE tonight and the projector image was pretty blurry. Is this something that can be adjusted? It was rough - almost to the point of being unreadable, I was pretty surprised.

Also remember that if the game was just turned on, it will be blurry for 5 or ten minutes while the projector warms up.

This is just a crappy screen grab from my stream but you can see it’s clear and in focus.

3AD2602B-9325-4B6D-A17A-C7009D00CDD3 (resized).jpeg3AD2602B-9325-4B6D-A17A-C7009D00CDD3 (resized).jpeg
#7095 4 years ago

That's great news, thanks for the info guys.

#7096 4 years ago
Quoted from amstrick:

There is a manual adjustment wheel. there are instructions somewhere on here, ill try to find them

#7097 4 years ago

Played the Pro at Free Gold Watch. Lots to like, lots to criticize. Pretty much like most Stern’s. Hoping to play an LE soon, and that the projector makes this game noteworthy. Otherwise I don’t see it.

#7098 4 years ago

Focus adjustment----
Tools Required;
- #2 Phillips head screwdriver
- 11/32” nut driver or socket
- 1/4” nut driver or socket
Procedure;
1. Open the Coin Door.
2. Remove the upper front molding (unhook the two Latches inside cabinet).
3. Remove the Glass carefully, and place is a safe location.
4. Lift the playfield by the Support Brackets and pull playfield out enough to align the Support Bracket
Rubber Feet with the middle of the Lower Bracket. Set playfield down slowly. Playfield is now secure for
service.
5. Remove the metal Lower Arch. Two Screws located at front (#2 Phillips head screwdriver), and two Hex
Lock Nuts from below playfield (11/32” nut driver or socket).
6. Projector is now accessible. At the upper right corner of the projector, remove the Foam Pad Cover
Assembly Nut (1/4” nut driver or socket).
7. The Focus Wheel is now accessible. Place the Demogorgan Ramp in the up position.
8. With Coin Door open, and access to Service Buttons;
Press Enter (black button) once to enter Service Menu Home Screen. Press Enter button once again to
enter Service Menu items. Diagnostics will be highlighted, press Enter button once. Use red buttons to
highlight “ST” (Game Specific Tests), press Enter button once. Use red buttons to highlight “ST Projector
Test”, and press Enter button once. Coin Door needs to be closed during focusing. The focus image will
appear on the main screen.
9. Rotate the Focus Wheel as required to focus the image on the Main Screen/Demogorgan Ramp.
10. Verify again that focus is correct. If yes, exit the Service Menu by pressing green button until LCD
screen is back at game mode.
11. Reassemble the remaining items in reverse order as removal.
12. Once reassembled, enter the Projector Test again and realign the individual images on the specific
playfield components, for example, Main Ramp, Spinner Target, Standup Target, etc.

#7099 4 years ago

I have a few questions about my Stranger Things LE.

Sometimes, when I've locked one ball, then hit a second ball up the ramp when the second lock has not yet been qualified, it releases those 2 balls into a weird 2 ball multi ball. Is that intentional?

I'm having difficulty making the left ramp shot. It seems that the metal diverter doesn't actuate very much. Is it supposed to move more than a couple of millimeters? I'm not sure what the expected behavior is.

Upon hitting the left inner shot (the mystery shot), the ball sometimes gets stuck between that gate and the adjacent metal guide. Has anyone had this same ball hangup? Solutions?

Thanks in advance!

#7100 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Sometimes, when I've locked one ball, then hit a second ball up the ramp when the second lock has not yet been qualified, it releases those 2 balls into a weird 2 ball multi ball. Is that intentional?

Should not be doing this. Not sure what the issue is. I’d get comfortable with how the magnet works. It’s a static magnet that is always against the backboard. It should only release at the start of MB, after playfield multipliers are up in MB, and at game over. It should never release outside of that.

Quoted from Russell:

I'm having difficulty making the left ramp shot. It seems that the metal diverter doesn't actuate very much. Is it supposed to move more than a couple of millimeters? I'm not sure what the expected behavior is.

Check here. Make sure all the parts of the mech are to spec based on sterns checklist.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/35#post-5472488

You May still have issues after you’ve checked all this. If so, stern is helping us with a permanent fix. I think it has to do with the flipper power not being consistent after long periods of play.

Quoted from Russell:

Upon hitting the left inner shot (the mystery shot), the ball sometimes gets stuck between that gate and the adjacent metal guide. Has anyone had this same ball hangup? Solutions?

Check the one way gate to the left of the demogorgon it may need to get back into place.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 39.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 142 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/142 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.