IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 140 of 144.
#6951 4 years ago

My LE.... 400 plays / 400 dimples. Can’t care. Lol

1B685E5B-E268-4558-823C-4BB2E98F3EAB (resized).jpeg1B685E5B-E268-4558-823C-4BB2E98F3EAB (resized).jpegBD013934-D342-42EB-ACCD-9E3B536682AA (resized).jpegBD013934-D342-42EB-ACCD-9E3B536682AA (resized).jpeg9A8C14F9-886A-44DB-9849-D948BFFF2CD6 (resized).jpeg9A8C14F9-886A-44DB-9849-D948BFFF2CD6 (resized).jpegA37454B9-178D-4F3A-9BA9-81269C285F00 (resized).jpegA37454B9-178D-4F3A-9BA9-81269C285F00 (resized).jpegDAC7E71F-62A3-4536-AF03-82E56E6F3579 (resized).jpegDAC7E71F-62A3-4536-AF03-82E56E6F3579 (resized).jpeg
#6952 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

My LE.... 400 plays / 400 dimples. Can’t care. Lol[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The ramp flap too???

#6953 4 years ago

My JP LE I just unboxed has barely any dimpling issues, very very tiny.

It was also built on Sept 23rd and not unboxed until a couple days ago. I think that these things need time to cure their clearcoat possibly.. people are getting these straight off the line, unboxing, and playing them. I am willing to bet the people who get their games that have been in the box longer have less dimpling problems.

#6954 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

The ramp flap too???

No, must be the lighting....

#6955 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

No, must be the lighting....

It's not the lighting. I think if you like the gameplay the airballs from the center ramp are something you have live with. You could always swap out the side ramp flaps periodically and the bonus is you'll get good with a rivet tool

What may be more of a worry is the exposed ends of the plastic ramps. In this pic you can see a crack on the top end of the ramp... right side. Zoom in to see it. Maybe something metal could be made to protect the top ends of the plastic ramps.
STRamp (resized).jpgSTRamp (resized).jpg

#6956 4 years ago

Maybe something metal could be made to cover the front edges of the ramp.

A sort of ramp ramp, if you will?

#6957 4 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

Maybe something metal could be made to cover the front edges of the ramp.
A sort of ramp ramp, if you will?

A metal ramp flap protector for a metal ramp flap?

Or just go back to using the better grade metal flaps they used previously?

#6958 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

A metal ramp flap protector for a metal ramp flap?
Or just go back to using the better grade metal flaps they used previously?

Why does that remind me of this?

Nrr_D_QPTK1BTROpIei47RdWBqHZ5-zJ2j4FhgnQpIA (resized).jpgNrr_D_QPTK1BTROpIei47RdWBqHZ5-zJ2j4FhgnQpIA (resized).jpg
#6959 4 years ago

Here’s a fun little parallel to the UV kit topic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2020/02/15/tesla-rear-heated-seats-model-3-ota-upgrades/amp/

A few Tesla model 3 owners with the “partial premium interior” started complaining back in September that they used to have rear heated seats, but a software update removed their ability to use them, unless you bought the premium interior.

Now, everyone with an SR or SR+ was told every car actually has rear heated seat hardware and they can be activated via software for $300.

So imagine your stranger things had the UV kit installed and “accidentally” enabled for a few months. Then a code update removed its use, then for $300 you could get it back.

#6960 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

It's not the lighting. I think if you like the gameplay the airballs from the center ramp are something you have live with. You could always swap out the side ramp flaps periodically and the bonus is you'll get good with a rivet tool
What may be more of a worry is the exposed ends of the plastic ramps. In this pic you can see a crack on the end of the ramp... right side. Zoom in to see it. Maybe something metal could be made to cover the front edges of the side ramps.
[quoted image]

Those "...." didn't give away the cynisism?

#6961 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Those "...." didn't give away the cynisism?

actually it didn't. lol. I tend to use those ellipses all the time... but not to show cynicism. Guess it went over my head.

#6962 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

My LE.... 400 plays / 400 dimples. Can’t care. Lol[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sweet Jesus that playfield looks like it volunteered to host a golf ball orgy. I'd be mad as shit if a brand new 9100 game looked like that after such few plays

#6963 4 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Sweet Jesus that playfield looks like it volunteered to host a golf ball orgy. I'd be mad as shit if a brand new 9100 game looked like that after such few plays

I'm still enjoying the game so I can't get too bent out of shape about it. I’ll leave that to my ramp flaps. Lol

#6964 4 years ago

Just set up my LE #189, did no adjustments and everything works as it should. Ball lock and demegorgan work as they should. All I can say is this game is a blast to play, reminds me of afm and I love afm. I am glad I ignored all the negative people downing this game. Plays super fast great modes and music is killer. The LE/Premium is the way to go as the projector is everything for this game, and the ball lock is super cool. I currently own around 60 games, and this a let's play one more time game. I can see when people who come over this game will be a big hit.

20200216_172034 (resized).jpg20200216_172034 (resized).jpg20200216_172002 (resized).jpg20200216_172002 (resized).jpg20200216_172058 (resized).jpg20200216_172058 (resized).jpg20200216_171953 (resized).jpg20200216_171953 (resized).jpg20200216_171945 (resized).jpg20200216_171945 (resized).jpg20200216_125537 (resized).jpg20200216_125537 (resized).jpg20200216_125537 (resized).jpg20200216_125537 (resized).jpg
#6965 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2020/02/15/tesla-rear-heated-seats-model-3-ota-upgrades/amp/
A few Tesla model 3 owners with the “partial premium interior” started complaining back in September that they used to have rear heated seats, but a software update removed their ability to use them, unless you bought the premium interior.
Now, everyone with an SR or SR+ was told every car actually has rear heated seat hardware and they can be activated via software for $300.
So imagine your stranger things had the UV kit installed and “accidentally” enabled for a few months. Then a code update removed its use, then for $300 you could get it back.

CARGUMENT! DON'T YOU KNOW CARS AND PINBALLS CAN'T HAVE PARALLELS!

/s

#6966 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

The ramp flap too???

This was pointed out over a month ago.. the first week

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/77#post-5394180

#6967 4 years ago

So it’s still true? WOW.

#6968 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Would you recommend me not updating to latest? Kind of sounds like this 1 is more buggy no?

I waited and didn't update ours for our lunch party. Way too many reports of resets. This game has had enough issues as it is already.

#6969 4 years ago

The big difference is Tesla told them up front. Everyone knew it would cost Tesla more money to make different versions so all cars had the same seats. Tesla agreed to the lower price so they honoured it. They do the same thing with batteries if you really want a tiny battery they will sell you a car like that. They don’t actually waste the money building the tiny battery for the handful of people. The just give them the same battery and limit it with software. They have done this for years.

#6970 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The big difference is Tesla told them up front. Everyone knew it would cost Tesla more money to make different versions so all cars had the same seats. Tesla agreed to the lower price so they honoured it. They do the same thing with batteries if you really want a tiny battery they will sell you a car like that. They don’t actually waste the money building the tiny battery for the handful of people. The just give them the same battery and limit it with software. They have done this for years.

Some of the forums and even that article if you read it, claims some early owners had it enabled.. then they removed it via software.

#6971 4 years ago

Some of the forums and even that article if you read it, claims some early owners had it enabled.. then they removed it via software.

It was enabled but Tesla told them we don't actually manufacture the config you want but we will give you this car at that price but you will not get to keep the extras. Its just faster and cheaper to give them a car they have already built than try and build a different version. It would be like if Stern decided that all new Stranger Things now come with the UV kit built in from the factory but the price goes up $50. Someone that already ordered said no I'm not giving you the extra $50 and I don't want the UV lighting. So instead of spending time and money trying to remove the UV kit Stern just disabled it with software. People were just hoping they would get it for free and they didn't.

#6972 4 years ago

So Stern was well aware of the dimpling rioting in the streets to the point where Steve Ritchie makes a video saying it's common and to STFU... and then Stern makes a conscious decision to use thinner gauge ramp flaps that would create even more dimples on a 2nd type of surface???

Are they trying to blend in the PF dimples with ramp flap dimples? What's next, Play-Doh ramps?

#6974 4 years ago

I want to invite SR to my house and have him inspect my Diamond Plate DW because it was all cost savings after that.

#6975 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It was enabled but Tesla told them we don't actually manufacture the config you want but we will give you this car at that price but you will not get to keep the extras. Its just faster and cheaper to give them a car they have already built than try and build a different version. It would be like if Stern decided that all new Stranger Things now come with the UV kit built in from the factory but the price goes up $50. Someone that already ordered said no I'm not giving you the extra $50 and I don't want the UV lighting. So instead of spending time and money trying to remove the UV kit Stern just disabled it with software. People were just hoping they would get it for free and they didn't.

Indeed. You’re not entitled to something you didn’t pay for at the end of the day.

There are probably real cost savings in homogenising certain parts of a build, I can certainly believe that it would be more cost effective to build all seats with heat seating built in, then offering it as an upsell.

I bought a performance upgrade for a Porsche a few years ago which consisted of them authorising the VIN to have the feature, plugging the car in and unlocking it. Didn’t add any hardware components to the car as they were already rated for the spec upgrade.

Working in networking I’m used to kit coming with unified hardware that provides features that are unlocked via software licences.

Tesla’s mistake really was in inadvertently gifting this option to people up front, without making it clear that it was unintended and/or liable to be removed at any time without notice.

But I don’t think anyone can have cause for complaint. Down the line I can see them offering trial versions for feature unlocks, again more like IT things in general.

#6976 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Indeed. You’re not entitled to something you didn’t pay for at the end of the day.
There are probably real cost savings in homogenising certain parts of a build, I can certainly believe that it would be more cost effective to build all seats with heat seating built in, then offering it as an upsell.
I bought a performance upgrade for a Porsche a few years ago which consisted of them authorising the VIN to have the feature, plugging the car in and unlocking it. Didn’t add any hardware components to the car as they were already rated for the spec upgrade.
Working in networking I’m used to kit coming with unified hardware that provides features that are unlocked via software licences.
Tesla’s mistake really was in inadvertently gifting this option to people up front, without making it clear that it was unintended and/or liable to be removed at any time without notice.
But I don’t think anyone can have cause for complaint. Down the line I can see them offering trial versions for feature unlocks, again more like IT things in general.

The thing to keep in mind these people literally had to special order this config, it might have been available online very briefly but they still had to specify they wanted it without heated rear seats. Tesla mistake was not making people wait for the car and letting them enjoy it for a couple weeks till the software was ready. They conveniently leave that part out and pretend to be surprised the didn’t get what they specifically said they didn’t want.

Didn’t mean to hijack the thread, back to regular scheduled programming.

#6977 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

My LE.... 400 plays / 400 dimples

Sorry ... can’t resist (again...).

rd

E48AFC95-8B59-4773-AF73-C419CCD01C36 (resized).jpegE48AFC95-8B59-4773-AF73-C419CCD01C36 (resized).jpeg
#6980 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

My JP LE I just unboxed has barely any dimpling issues, very very tiny.
It was also built on Sept 23rd and not unboxed until a couple days ago. I think that these things need time to cure their clearcoat possibly.. people are getting these straight off the line, unboxing, and playing them. I am willing to bet the people who get their games that have been in the box longer have less dimpling problems.

my premium is the same way.

#6981 4 years ago

The excitement about getting 119M (4th highest of all time) is exactly why I reset my high scores on location.. people love to be on the leaderboard even when the score is poop.

#6982 4 years ago

The excitement about getting 119M (4th highest of all time) is exactly why I reset my high scores on location.. people love to be on the leaderboard even when the score is poop.

Do you reset all of them including the GC?

#6983 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Do you reset all of them including the GC?

It depends on if I like the GC or not..

#6984 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

my premium is the same way.

Same here on the premium... I'm OCD about my pins, but it's weird, the dimples that are there, I just don't care...I don't see them unless I'm specifically looking for them... Would I love a playfield that didn't dimple at all? Sure, but it's not going to keep me from playing the crud out of them. None of us are getting out of here alive, why worry about things out of our control and waste time

#6985 4 years ago

My pro has its share of dimples, but it's just physics; the ball flies off the drops violently some time; smacks the glass and then the playfield....I could give two craps though; as I continue to play the hell out of it and my JP2 gathers dust...I love JP2; but everytime I go into my game room; I go right to Stranger Things.

#6986 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

My pro has its share of dimples, but it's just physics; the ball flies off the drops violently some time; smacks the glass and then the playfield....I could give two craps though; as I continue to play the hell out of it and my JP2 gathers dust...I love JP2; but everytime I go into my game room; I go right to Stranger Things.

Thank God...I thought it was just me. My SThLE sits right next to JPLE (which I think is a masterpiece). There's something about the projection mapping, the music and sounds, and the gameplay (once the machine is dialed in) that keep drawing me back to STh.

Once the UV kit goes in this week, I'm afraid my wife won't see me for a week.

Just. One. More. Game...

#6987 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

None of us are getting out of here alive, why worry about things out of our control and waste time

Because I can buy/play much better games for less money that don’t crater. That is absolutely in our control. While I’m here, principles matter. I won’t spend $6k-$9k on a game that’s not built with quality standards.

#6988 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

So Stern was well aware of the dimpling rioting in the streets to the point where Steve Ritchie makes a video saying it's common and to STFU... and then Stern makes a conscious decision to use thinner gauge ramp flaps that would create even more dimples on a 2nd type of surface???
Are they trying to blend in the PF dimples with ramp flap dimples? What's next, Play-Doh ramps?

Exactly. And yet companies like spooky and CGC can make playfields that don’t dimple. My brand new MMr has not a single dimple in spite of many air balls.

#6989 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Exactly. And yet companies like spooky and CGC can make playfields that don’t dimple. My brand new MMr has not a single dimple in spite of many air balls.

Every CGC and Spooky game I've ever seen has plenty of dimples in them.

#6990 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Just not true, my MBLEr is a beautiful pin, that also dimples

I want a PF that dimples, it's just real pinball to me, i don't want an acrylic or concrete PF

Maybe the older you get you just don't care about this BS? Now, a shooter lane on the other hand....gotta protect that sucker!!!

#6991 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Just not true, my MBLEr is a beautiful pin, that also dimples
I want a PF that dimples, it's just real pinball to me, i don't want an acrylic or concrete PF
Maybe the older you get you just don't care about this BS? Now, a shooter lane on the other hand....gotta protect that sucker!!!

This is why I stay away from playfield protectors. Personally not my jam. However my buddies <100 hour owned STHLE on location is too much.

There needs to be some middle ground at a minimum. My ACNC has minimal dimples after 750 plays. And I mean super minimal, cant see with the glass on and infrequent. Next is the MBLE. Like you said, took the glass off and at 515 games played it is more dimpled than ACNC.

At 250 games the STHLE is crazy dimple.

That being said, I think it's fun as hell when properly setup and I like it more everytime I play it. Sterns gameplay has almost never ever been an issue for me. I can even deal with the dimpling even though I'd rather see less. My issues lie elsewhere.

Game has been playing great here without code issue. They did just reattach the gate other day but hey. Anyway. Fun game. Rant over.

#6992 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Our MBr has plenty... they just aren't as obvious to the eye compared to the stranger things next to it

#6993 4 years ago

Has anyone else had this problem?

I just played an LE this evening but I was unable to backhand the left ramp. The ball goes up but when it hits the telekinesis jump at the very top—it's only on the LE and needed to get the ball onto the wall so the magnet can hold it—the ball does not have enough juice to get over that small jump, thus it rejects. This is 100% of the time. Now, shooting from the right flipper I also get rejects, maybe 20-25 percent of the time. My buddy who's an extremely good player and made it into the top five in my state tried after me and experienced exactly the same problem. What I mean to say is that it's not about, "Well you have the make the shots dude." I'm saying that little jump ramp on top the left ramp is mechanically screwing up that ramp shot which is extremely important as it's how you lock/start multiball.

After playing the Pro over the last few weeks quite frequently I really see a difference in this LE and it's in no way an upgrade from a game playability POV. I would love to hear if this is isolated to this game or if this is a common problem.

#6994 4 years ago
Quoted from coop:

I just played an LE this evening but I was unable to backhand the left ramp. The ball goes up but when it hits the telekinesis jump at the very top—it's only on the LE and needed to get the ball onto the wall so the magnet can hold it—the ball does not have enough juice to get over that small jump, thus it rejects. This is 100% of the time. Now, shooting from the right flipper I also get rejects, maybe 20-25 percent of the time. My buddy who's an extremely good player and made it into the top five in my state tried after me and experienced exactly the same problem. What I mean to say is that it's not about, "Well you have the make the shots dude." I'm saying that little jump ramp on top the left ramp is mechanically screwing up that ramp shot which is extremely important as it's how you lock/start multiball.
After playing the Pro over the last few weeks quite frequently I really see a difference in this LE and it's in no way an upgrade from a game playability POV. I would love to hear if this is isolated to this game or if this is a common problem.

No problem with backhand shots to both ramps from both flippers. What's the setting for the left flipper on your machine? Mine is 250 for both. I own a PRO.

#6995 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

No problem with backhand shots to both ramps from both flippers. What's the setting for the left flipper on your machine? Mine is 250 for both. I own a PRO.

It's the LE that has this problem. The Pro plays just fine.

No idea what the flipper setting are as it's not my game. I was just playing this game on location. The owner of the location upgraded his Pro to an LE today.

#6996 4 years ago
Quoted from coop:

It's the LE that has this problem. The Pro plays just fine.
No idea what the flipper setting are as it's not my game. I was just playing this game on location. The owner of the location upgraded his Pro to an LE today.

The ramp diverter needs adjusted. In the club thread there’s a pdf posted in the key posts that details exactly how the diverter ramp should be adjusted. Once you look at that and make sure everything is right the shot should work much better.

You’ll never be able to backhand the shot though. That’s just not possible. Should be able to dial forehand shots to be 90% plus though.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/35#post-5472488

#6997 4 years ago
Quoted from coop:

In my experience this is unfortunately pretty much how the LE plays. Unless the ball already has some speed on it, you won't be able to backhand the left ramp with the diverter up. I've spent a lot of time adjust mine and currently have it exactly how Stern recommends in their PDF. A friend has done the same on another LE. If you are only getting rejects 20-25% of the time with the diverter you are doing pretty well. Last night on my stream I think I was at around 50%. This sucks because when that mech rejects the ball it often comes right back down the ramp and can drain straight down the middle. So essentially you get punished by this crappy mech for a good solid shot. I'd love it if someone could figure out a way for this to work reliably. I've emailed Stern several times about it and now they are pretty much at the point of just saying they will "forward my comments to engineering." I'd like to turn the feature off and just play it like the pro at this point, but the code doesn't really support that because even when you turn it off in code the diverter still goes off some times.

#6998 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Average people do not buy LE versions of pinball machines...Just sayin'

yeah only very rich people like billionaires.

#6999 4 years ago

Played an LE yesterday in a home environment. I found the game fun, fast and smooth. The projector works great and MUCH better in person compared to photos and streams. I came in expecting not to like it and came away wanting to play more. Just goes to show folks need to play before they bash a game. And the dimples in pics look just like GB, SW, DP, BM66, etc. Nothing new.

#7000 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Every CGC and Spooky game I've ever seen has plenty of dimples in them.

I've got over 1000 games on my AFMr and there isn't a single dimple to be seen. And after 400 games the rick and morty on route in madison has zero dimples as well. If some CGC games are dimpling I'm not sure why some are and some aren't.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheboro, NC
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 39.00
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 140 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/140 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.