IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 144.
#6601 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

You guys are acting like this is the worst thing any company has ever done....
JJP promised this big elaborate triple spinning disc mech in Pirates and opening closing chest, They take it out on final release, the game is still great... That would tick me off more than something extra that's already in the game vs something I though was in the game when I put my deposit down... This UV light is not a big deal people

The difference is that you could still cancel your Pirates order if you didn't like those changes. JJP didn't ship Pirates with the triple disk and say "now give us $300 more to make it work". As a Pirates buyer you still knew upfront prior to shipping what you were getting, even if you didn't like it, from JJP. That's not the case with Stranger Things.

Overall people are just upset about the deceitful vibe from this accessory. Stern knew from the beginning that they were going to offer the UV light kit hence the UV playfield ink. They should have at least been upfront about it, hell that's the least they could do when charging $6k - $9k for a pin.

#6602 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

How's that SW working out for you?

Amazing! Play it every chance I get. Amazing game code and excellent build quality. Why?

#6603 4 years ago

From a pinball innovation perspective:
This feature is supurb and shows that Brian Eddy is still as creative as ever and is advancing the medium of pinball.

From a marketing perspective:
This is amateur hour from stern. A staggered 3 launch approach (1st reveal pro only, 2nd reveal projector added, 3rd reveal uv added). If they had the game working and finished from the 1st reveal, then they would have smashed it, rather than faltered.

From a customer perspective:
I'm in the process of deciding which new pinball machine to buy in the near future and this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth from stern.

#6604 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The difference is that you could still cancel your Pirates order if you didn't like those changes. JJP didn't ship Pirates with the triple disk and say "now give us $300 more to make it work".

Either is stern... The game plays exactly the same without it, its a light show that's coded in...

Its crazy that people are this upset about this. I'd hate to see when your gas or phone bill goes up

#6605 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

You guys are acting like this is the worst thing any company has ever done....
JJP promised this big elaborate triple spinning disc mech in Pirates and opening closing chest, They take it out on final release, the game is still great... That would tick me off more than something extra that's already in the game vs something I though was in the game when I put my deposit down... This UV light is not a big deal people

I'm giving my critique of the current situation. If you feel my critique gives the impression that this is the worst thing that any company has done, then I believe you might want to re-read my previous opinions of the situation because I feel that's a bit of an exaggeration of my stated opinions.

The UV light may not be a big deal to you, which is perfectly fine. We can't, however, ignore the fact that the response from the community to this has been overwhelmingly negative.

#6606 4 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

I'm giving my critique of the current situation. If you feel my critique gives the impression that this is the worst thing that any company has done, then I believe you might want to re-read my previous opinions of the situation because I feel that's a bit of an exaggeration of my stated opinions.
The UV light may not be a big deal to you, which is perfectly fine. We can't, however, ignore the fact that the response from the community to this has been overwhelmingly negative.

There's allot of exaggerated opinions in this thread..

#6607 4 years ago

I've worked in gaming for a long time and I'm a big believer in DLC done right and I fully accept there has been a lot of it done wrong. This is just a colossal blunder on Stern's part and there is really no excuse for it. The question is can Stern get away with it. If people buy it and keep on ordering than you can fully expect it to get a whole lot worse. Gaming has generally made a correction already but Stern clearly has taken nothing from that and looks to repeat the same failures. Personally I don't think Stern is big enough to survive the back lash when it hits. If they haven't cooked it already they are already starting to pluck that golden goose.

#6608 4 years ago

Does anyone know if you buy the Premium/LE version of the UV Light Kit is the bottom arch powder coated like one it comes with or are you getting a plastic one like the pro?

#6609 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Either is stern... The game plays exactly the same without it, its a light show that's coded in...
Its crazy that people are this upset about this. I'd hate to see when your gas or phone bill goes up

You obviously love the hobby and are passionate about it. So am I. I think we all want to see amazing things going forward. But I have to ask you, where is the line in the sand for you personally? How much is a line too far? Today it's a GI playfield that is more feature than addon..what is it tomorrow? Pay for code, mechs behind software coded paywalls? If I already owned the game, I would feel compelled to get the UV kit. But I'm on the fence. This just increases the overall cost off the game. So not just a $100 MSRP increase for the year but $380. For a feature that probably didn't bust the BOM and is an upcharge. Just give me the details upfront. Again, it's not the money, it's the way the 3 tiered rollout was presented. Too much cloak and dagger.

The gaming industry got burned for this already, namely EA and Activision...

On the gas/phone stuff...I call to complain and if no resolution is met, I ask to speak to the retention department and switch providers. Always works, then the following month I get a letter asking me to come back to my original quote. I don't get crazy on the phone...I'm polite and treat people with respect but I run my house like a business, that includes my recreational expenses.

#6610 4 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

Miscalculating one facet of a product rollout does not equal the equivalent to someone being completely ignorant in their overall business model.

So you are saying people and companies make mistakes or miscalculations?

While the haters here like to equate everything Stern does to some end of the world crisis I'm pretty sure this is just another overblown crybaby whiner fest with them. The fickle FOMO's will be right back at it buying the next game and Stern will keep increasing their sales 20% a year. LOL

Love this new lighting mod. Looks awesome!

#6611 4 years ago

So here's a pic of the kit. An apron and plastics are already on all games. A customer is basically paying $280 for a couple light strips and a mini board...Why not at least include the apron lights and UV plastics on all titles if regular plastics and an apron come standard on all games?

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#6612 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So you are saying people and companies make mistakes or miscalculations?
While the haters here like to equate everything Stern does to some end of the world crisis I'm pretty sure this is just another overblown crybaby whiner fest with them. The fickle FOMO's will be right back at it buying the next game and Stern will keep increasing their sales 20% a year. LOL
Love this new lighting mod. Looks awesome!

I'm at a loss for how this furthers our conversation if you're quoting something I said and responded to it.

If you want to discuss why you believe Stern's handling of rolling out this feature is positive for their company, we can discuss the merits of that.

#6613 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So here's a pic of the kit. Does any premium or LE owner really want to replace their games metal apron with a plastic one? Do existing metal premium / LE aprons already come with LED lights installed?
An apron and plastics are already on all games. A customer is basically paying $280 for a couple light strips and a mini board...Why not at least include the apron lights and UV plastics on all titles if regular plastics and an apron come standard on all games? How much more would that have cost Stern? A couple bucks if that?
[quoted image]

That's the pro kit. The premium/LE kit comes with a metal apron.

#6614 4 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

This feature is supurb and shows that Brian Eddy is still as creative as ever and is advancing the medium of pinball.

Predator did it first.

#6615 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

That's the pro kit. The premium/LE kit comes with a metal apron.

That's good. At this time I only see the one kit listed on Stern's site. I can see a pro and UV light kit making for a fun complete game. Will have to keep an eye on HUO prices.

https://shop.sternpinball.com/collections/accessories/products/stranger-things-uv-lighting-kit

#6616 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's good! At this time I only see the one kit listed on Stern's site. I can see a pro and UV light kit making for a fun complete game. Will have to keep an eye on HUO prices.
https://shop.sternpinball.com/collections/accessories/products/stranger-things-uv-lighting-kit

Says in the item description "Available in Pro Version (item # 502-7118-Q1) and Premium/LE Version (item # 502-7118-Q2)" and their is a drop down menu under the video to pick what version you need.

#6617 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Does anyone know if you buy the Premium/LE version of the UV Light Kit is the bottom arch powder coated like one it comes with or are you getting a plastic one like the pro?

It’s the same metal powder coated one you get with your game. Just has the lights in it.

#6618 4 years ago

Unboxed LE number 234 tonight and I think it’s incredible. Plays great right out of the box.
There sure has been a lot of hate and stern bashing on this thread, and that’s cool. But, here’s a picture of a nine year old and his mom who doesn’t really like pinball enjoying the snot out of this game tonight.
Cheers!!

035C5757-4B46-47F7-986E-3E70A67F600B (resized).jpeg035C5757-4B46-47F7-986E-3E70A67F600B (resized).jpeg79A14202-1801-4D8F-9765-F9B8006DF7B0 (resized).jpeg79A14202-1801-4D8F-9765-F9B8006DF7B0 (resized).jpegE9EF2058-07D8-42E9-BE90-5F0DA08935BB (resized).jpegE9EF2058-07D8-42E9-BE90-5F0DA08935BB (resized).jpeg
#6619 4 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

From a marketing perspective:
This is amateur hour from stern. A staggered 3 launch approach (1st reveal pro only, 2nd reveal projector added, 3rd reveal uv added). If they had the game working and finished from the 1st reveal, then they would have smashed it, rather than faltered.
From a customer perspective:
I'm in the process of deciding which new pinball machine to buy in the near future and this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth from stern.

Or... you could have just sat back and waited to decide if you want the game after it ships, when you've gotten to play it, see it's warts or not.. and just decide if you want a pro or premium.

Basically... remove the 'Gotta be first in line..' line of thought and every one of your problems disappears.

There is no rush to buy games. There is no reason to buy LEs.

99% of the angst on this forum revolves around people who can't get that through their heads. Life is so much better without the above..

#6620 4 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

I'm at a loss for how this furthers our conversation if you're quoting something I said and responded to it.
If you want to discuss why you believe Stern's handling of rolling out this feature is positive for their company, we can discuss the merits of that.

Lol, you don't get it do you.....it makes ZERO difference.

Stick to your Brick thread Jerry

#6621 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

It doesn't say the ingredients. I guess I'll be safe and go back to what I've always used.[quoted image]

It doesn't use silicone to cut the carnuba. Uses beeswax, if I'm not mistaken. I was curious myself a while ago and contacted the company directly.

#6622 4 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/viper-night-drivin

Sega did it in the 90s.

#6623 4 years ago
Quoted from CyberNinja24:

Unboxed LE number 234 tonight and I think it’s incredible. Plays great right out of the box.
There sure has been a lot of hate and stern bashing on this thread, and that’s cool. But, here’s a picture of a nine year old and his mom who doesn’t really like pinball enjoying the snot out of this game tonight.
Cheers!![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats! The LE looks really slick with that backglass as does the purple armor. It's nice to see more projector animations being added with the latest updates as well.

#6624 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s the same metal powder coated one you get with your game. Just has the lights in it.

Wonder if the Premium kit would work on a Pro? Would be a nice way to upgrade to the metal apron if it's possible.

#6625 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

any future pins will have to be evaluated on a wait and see basis to determine what I'm really buying

Less than 24 hours ago you said you would be “all in on a Back to the Future pinball sight unseen”
What changed your mind?

#6626 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Less than 24 hours ago you said you would be “all in on a Back to the Future pinball sight unseen”
What changed your mind?

Nothing, I'd make an exception for that pin admittedly up front. Yes I'd be in line day one...but that's my dream theme end all be all (see my theater and truck below). I don't apply that mindset to the other themes. I love Stranger Things, like I've said, I love Stern games and the people I've met from there have all been great people. I just am a bottom line, give it all to me in the open, type (okay ya got me on BTTF )..I will probably get this title one day but I just can't understand the market strategy at all at the expense of PR relations for a somewhat throwaway financial gain.

1451974_10202772951038306_317568259_n (resized).jpg1451974_10202772951038306_317568259_n (resized).jpg20200213_214649 (resized).jpg20200213_214649 (resized).jpg
#6627 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Wonder if the Premium kit would work on a Pro? Would be a nice way to upgrade to the metal apron if it's possible.

Can’t. The aprons attach to the game differently unfortunately.

#6628 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Nothing, I'd make an exception for that pin admittedly up front. Yes I'd be in line day one...but that's my dream theme end all be all. I don't apply that mindset to the other themes. I love Stranger Things, like I've said, I love Stern games and the people I've met from there have all been great people. I just am a bottom line, give it all to me in the open, type (okay ya got me on BTTF )..I will probably get this title one day but I just can't understand the market strategy at all at the expense of PR relations for a somewhat throwaway financial gain.

Don't worry, this too shall pass. I wish i had a dollar every time i said the same thing since i started with Woz back in 2011 ish? Can't believe its been that long, what a fun and wild ride its been.

#6629 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Lol, you don't get it do you.....it makes ZERO difference.
Stick to your Brick thread Jerry

It's funny that the guy calling people names for voicing their opinion makes a point to not only call people names every post but also keeps referring to a game as 'brick'...a game that he's not played and only seen videos of. Pot calling kettle shill? Pure hypocrite.

EDIT: adding LOL to my post because LOL negates all the negative things you say about people.

#6630 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

You obviously love the hobby and are passionate about it. So am I. I think we all want to see amazing things going forward. But I have to ask you, where is the line in the sand for you personally? How much is a line too far? Today it's a GI playfield that is more feature than addon..what is it tomorrow? Pay for code, mechs behind software coded paywalls? If I already owned the game, I would feel compelled to get the UV kit. But I'm on the fence. This just increases the overall cost off the game. So not just a $100 MSRP increase for the year but $380. For a feature that probably didn't bust the BOM and is an upcharge. Just give me the details upfront. Again, it's not the money, it's the way the 3 tiered rollout was presented. Too much cloak and dagger.
The gaming industry got burned for this already, namely EA and Activision...
On the gas/phone stuff...I call to complain and if no resolution is met, I ask to speak to the retention department and switch providers. Always works, then the following month I get a letter asking me to come back to my original quote. I don't get crazy on the phone...I'm polite and treat people with respect but I run my house like a business, that includes my recreational expenses.

Your acting like all of the above has happened or is in the works? Where's the proof of any of the things your saying? You sure have allot of knowledge of what Stern plans to do in the future...... Yes I'm not a big DLC fan, but NOBODY is doing it yet... Until that happens just breath, I get it your not a fan how Stern released the news on the UV lighting. If anyone I'd say JJP would be the first for DLC, they are the ones pushing the tech the most....

#6631 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Your acting like all of the above has happened or is in the works? Where's the proof of any of the things your saying? You sure have allot of knowledge of what Stern plans to do in the future...... Yes I'm not a big DLC fan, but NOBODY is doing it yet... Until that happens just breath, I get it your not a fan how Stern released the news on the UV lighting. If anyone I'd say JJP would be the first for DLC, they are the ones pushing the tech the most....

I am just worried as watching what DLC and Digital Management Rights has done to the video game world. I don't want Pinball to crash as I'm just getting started in this hobby only the past year, and it already looks like there is a HomeUser market demand surpassing the Operator in which space and money can dictate a specific limit as to what the market can absorb. I hope you're right, but if Stern were planning a DLC everything future rollout, the way the UV went down could be an indicator. Give them a taste, then start with featured add-ons...There is an evil genius to it actually...and a confirmed psychology for that dopamine rush. How many of us could resist buying that kit if we own the game today? Not many homeusers I would think. I know I couldn't...It's awesome and actually what I thought the upside down would look like from day one.

#6632 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I am just worried as watching what DLC and Digital Management Rights has done to the video game world. I don't want Pinball to crash as I'm just getting started in this hobby only the past year, and it already looks like there is a HomeUser market demand surpassing the Operator in which space and money can dictate a specific limit as to what the market can absorb. I hope you're right, but if I were planning a DLC everything future rollout, the way the UV went down could be an indicator. Give them a taste, then start with featured add-ons...There is an evil genius to it actually.

Well that's the thing, he's trying to say 'it's not happening', but the fact is, it already has. Inch by inch is how it works while trying not to upset most of your customer base. We've seen this song and dance multiple times over the last decade or so. We know what is coming. Waiting until it happens is too late. If enough people just accept this, it will basically be something that will now happen on every release, planned from the beginning as things to cut out of the game to be able to charge for later. Companies trying to milk every last dime out of people while quality falls. People have a right to be critical, whether they bought one or not. The whole point is people WANT to want a game, they don't want to hate a game. Unfortunately you have a handful of people that take criticism as a personal attack on their choices when the reality is no one is telling them what to spend their money on...the issue is we live in the current society of everyone needs validation and if you don't validate their choices you are the enemy. If you like it buy it, but at the same time those who are upset about it have a right to voice it.

#6633 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I am just worried as watching what DLC and Digital Management Rights has done to the video game world. I don't want Pinball to crash as I'm just getting started in this hobby only the past year, and it already looks like there is a HomeUser market demand surpassing the Operator in which space and money can dictate a specific limit as to what the market can absorb. I hope you're right, but if I were planning a DLC everything future rollout, the way the UV went down could be an indicator. Give them a taste, then start with featured add-ons...There is an evil genius to it actually.

Like I said allot of you guys are making some big speculations... I've been in this hobby for 8 years and have friends that were in it 8 years before me. I've only seen the market on the rise since being in the hobby with the resurgence of the barcade etc. Do I wish I could go back to the pricing I paid 8 years ago? Of course but its supply and demand, with the resurgence Stern is selling more than ever, we have 2 other companies now that weren't here 8 years ago. Things are great for pinball, whats going to kill it is when this barcade / hipster retro Fad isn't cool anymore not speculations of DLC content

#6634 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

And many of you have seemingly become a thoughtless echo chamber.

That critique cuts both ways...ways....ways...ways...

#6635 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Like I said allot of you guys are making some big speculations... I've been in this hobby for 8 years and have friends that were in it 8 years before me. I've only seen the market on the rise since being in the hobby with the resurgence of the barcade etc. Do I wish I could go back to the pricing I paid 8 years ago? Of course but its supply and demand, with the resurgence Stern is selling more than ever, we have 2 other companies now that weren't here 8 years ago. Things are great for pinball, whats going to kill it is when this barcade / hipster retro Fad isn't cool anymore not speculations of DLC content

Again, I hope it continues. I'm 47 / gen X and a lot of my friends are in the disposable income age of their lives also with money to light on fire...My daughter had to let me know the 80's were back again So I think it can survive a Barcade slideback of White Claw slurpers more so that upsetting the 35-55 year old crowd. Plus I think the Barcade is the demographic result of a generation coming into vogue again and pinball just happen to have it's place in those lives of the people now running the arcade vs pumping quarters into it...Every 30 years or so the cycle repeats, we become our parents, our kids become us...so on and so on...BTTF had it right

#6636 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Ask yourself this. If when Stern rolled out the tiered model everyone had skoffed and not bought into it do you think they'd still be doing them? Or heck if everyone only bought one or the other rather than a mix. (and take the whole they'd be out of business out of the equation). It was a business decision to make more money and it worked. This new thing is no different. We'll see it again....and again...and then you'll see more things magically happen as well.

Also, regarding the barcade stuff, most new games are going to home use. I would be interested to really know the actual numbers breakdown. I think it would be surprising how much home collectors are keeping them afloat. I've been in this hobby for 25ish years, I've seen a lot of changes. The resurgence is mostly due to people my age who loved pinball as a kid now having money to blow - those same people are also opening barcades...but that fad will die sooner than later because bars are harder than pinball....when you combine them both (with the astronomical price of pins these days) it's a recipe for burning through money.

#6637 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I would be interested to really know the actual numbers breakdown. I think it would be surprising how much home collectors are keeping them afloat.

Well Gary did say at the BM66 party that home buyers were now over 70% of his market.

That said it certainly helps raise public awareness of pinball in general by having these nicely stocked barcades. Even now most people would say "I didn't even know they still MADE pinballs"

We're a rarefied group people - let's not all turn on each other. Yes people get emotional and hyperbolic but buying a huge expensive heavy machine that you'll probably be bored of within six months is the furthest thing from *rational* anyway.

And I've concluded that's what helps make the hobby great

#6638 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Ask yourself this. If when Stern rolled out the tiered model everyone had skoffed and not bought into it do you think they'd still be doing them? Or heck if everyone only bought one or the other rather than a mix. (and take the whole they'd be out of business out of the equation). It was a business decision to make more money and it worked. This new thing is no different. We'll see it again....and again...and then you'll see more things magically happen as well.
Also, regarding the barcade stuff, most new games are going to home use. I would be interested to really know the actual numbers breakdown. I think it would be surprising how much home collectors are keeping them afloat. I've been in this hobby for 25ish years, I've seen a lot of changes. The resurgence is mostly due to people my age who loved pinball as a kid now having money to blow - those same people are also opening barcades...but that fad will die sooner than later because bars are harder than pinball....when you combine them both (with the astronomical price of pins these days) it's a recipe for burning through money.

Listen at the end of the day they all need to make money. Spooky is no different, you can pimp out your new RM just the same as the stern tier model. The difference is there smaller so they can deal with each buyer individually.

It’s funny this fighting goes on with every new game that comes out. GB play field issues, WOZ light boards, Code is never good enough at release, JJP pooling playfields and now this speculated DLC stuff.

It’s always a big deal at the beginning until JJP announces GNR or Stern TMNT and you guys will all move on and we can get back to talking about Stranger Things pinball

#6639 4 years ago
Quoted from CyberNinja24:

Cheers!![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Geezer those pictures are so dark.

If I send you $280 Will you add some lights? (Sorry, couldnt resist.)

#6640 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Geez those pictures are so dark.
If I send you $280 Will you add some lights? (Sorry, couldnt resist.)

#6641 4 years ago

Pardon my trolling but do we want start speculating about the next DLC after UV-gate?

IMG_20200213_213648~2.jpgIMG_20200213_213648~2.jpg
#6642 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Pardon my trolling but do we want start speculating about the next DLC after UV-gate?[quoted image]

Those receptacles were thoughtfully put there so Stern apologists can make love to the machine.

#6643 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Pardon my trolling but do we want start speculating about the next DLC after UV-gate?[quoted image]

Looks like these are there to make room for the screws on the kit. I’m not sure though.

1E719557-8840-41BC-A1B9-F4FB50669444 (resized).jpeg1E719557-8840-41BC-A1B9-F4FB50669444 (resized).jpeg
#6644 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Those receptacles were thoughtfully put there so Stern apologists can make love to the machine.

So you're implying Stern fans are woefully underdeveloped? That's pretty harsh dude

#6645 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So here's a pic of the kit. An apron and plastics are already on all games. A customer is basically paying $280 for a couple light strips and a mini board...Why not at least include the apron lights and UV plastics on all titles if regular plastics and an apron come standard on all games?
[quoted image]

When you look at the premium or LE version though, it includes a new powdercoated metal apron, which isn't cheap. I honestly don't think that stern are making that much from the premium/LE version of this upgrade, particularly when you factor in the distributor profit margin in the mix.

It just seems clumsy/wasteful though to have to buy two sets of powdercoated metal aprons

#6646 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

So you're implying Stern fans are woefully underdeveloped? That's pretty harsh dude

UV light brings out harsh details.

#6647 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

And here come the apologists.

“Profit is profit” FRoA #202 and if stern can make profit then crack on! I predict nearly all games will have this accessory added!

No I’m not apologising for it, in my view they have nothing to apologise for.

Now if it was some new mech for the game that changed the game play I’d feel very_ different about it. But this is a fancy light nothing more or less.

Neil.

#6648 4 years ago

WoZ lightboards! We are charging you for lights that we cocked up in the first place!

#6649 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

WoZ lightboards! We are charging you for lights that we cocked up in the first place!

Don't see your point. Everybody hated that deal also.

Maybe in the literature before the machines actually went on sale they could have stated "UV kit coming soon! Available for all models. Priced separately"

Then people would have been forewarned and maybe even excited about it. Apparently now a lot of people feel like Stern got over on them. You can say it's just emotions but emotions are what sell these things in the first place.

#6650 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Don't see your point. Everybody hated that deal also.
Maybe in the literature before the machines actually went on sale they could have stated "UV kit coming soon! Available for all models. Priced separately"
Then people would have been forewarned and maybe even excited about it. Apparently now a lot of people feel like Stern got over on them. You can say it's just emotions but emotions are what sell these things in the first place.

That would’ve been sufficient I would think. LE buyers might still have been entitled to have a little grumble about it, but at least they would’ve been able to make an informed purchasing decision.

There’s no way Stern didn’t know this was coming, given the playfield ink, which means they omitted it from the feature matrix deliberately.

People still seem to be drawing comparisons to mods like toppers, shakers and other generic cruft, when this is patently not the same thing. If Stern had released a UV kit that was *entirely* add-on, as in all of the UV bits were additions or replacements for parts already fitted, it would be a different matter, but this was partially built into the game already - which means it was always intended to be there and was cut either for time or cost reasons, or simply because they wanted to nickel and dime their customers.

“UV kit coming soon! Available for all models. Priced separately“ would’ve been ok I think. Not great, but no one could’ve complained if they went ahead and bought with this knowledge.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Guilford, CT
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/133?hl=ozpinsmith and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.