IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 130 of 144.
#6451 4 years ago

Stern defenders can rationally defend this move 'til they're blue (er, ultraviolet) in the face, but perception is reality. If customers feel like they got screwed, then it's a fail. You can't "logic" them out of an emotional reaction.

#6452 4 years ago

Breaking news from Stern’s PR department....
72F8EBC5-663E-487C-82F0-B4986682D171 (resized).jpeg72F8EBC5-663E-487C-82F0-B4986682D171 (resized).jpeg

Sorry.... I couldn’t resist.

#6453 4 years ago

Competition is key....Stern has none and can continue to get away with this bullshit time after time. If they had 50% of the market the couldn't pull this crap. Can't wait to see what Stern has up their sleeves with internet connectivity....lol, what a gong show that's going to be.

#6454 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

People defending this are only opening the doors for Stern to really f you in the ass in future games. What's next? After you purchase a game, they announce that for the low price of $300, they will send you a code to unlock a characters voice, activate a diverter to a subway, additional modes.....? It's endless what they can do once they realize the sheeple will keep shelling out money.

That's one hell of a slippery slope argument.

All Stern did was make a mod better than anyone else could because they integrated it from the beginning. If Johnny Jackoff Modman invented it everyone would be lining up to shell out $$$ and posting youtube videos of how awesome it is.

#6455 4 years ago

Are you also going to hate on spooky for upcharging customers of the blood sucker LE edition for.. shaker, knocker, rgb lighting, painted coin door, dbv reader coin door, coin box and lid, butter cabinet, etc? I mean the shaker and knocker code is in the game AND they make you pay extra? #sarcasm

#6456 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The projector isn't a limited edition only feature. Now if Stern starts selling LE backglass, cabinet decals, and signed aprons I think people would be upset. As for how you include the UV kit on LE, while avoiding the moan-fest, you just say it at launch. "UV kit is standard on LE, optional on other models."

This is exactly what should have happened. Instead of making this some "secret feature" - include it on the LE, since really it was the most bare and basic Stern LE in a long time - and let everyone know it's optional on the Pro/Prem.

Then you get some Prem buyers more likely to go for the LE, the LE buyers know they are still getting Stern's top of the line loaded pin, and Pro's convert to more profit for Stern because it's a add-on.

No one cares if this is a "special LE-Only" feature. I don't. But c'mon Stern, this should have been included at the minimum for LE owners and even Prem owners since they only get a projector and a ball lock that doesn't even work 100% of the time. The UV add on seems exactly what the Prem/LE was missing the entire time. It just feels like it was actually designed for this, removed last minute, and then sold later.

Now instead of Stern converting Pro buyers to Prem/LE... There is the opposite effect. A Pro with the UV upgrade. So now Prem owners may actually buy the downgraded model and less Pro owners will pay for the upgraded models.

Good job Stern marketing department !!

#6457 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Are you also going to hate on spooky for upcharging customers of the blood sucker LE edition for.. shaker, knocker, rgb lighting, painted coin door, dbv reader coin door, coin box and lid, butter cabinet, etc? I mean the shaker and knocker code is in the game AND they make you pay extra? #sarcasm

This is true, there's even an upcharge for freakin' target decals...in the end, it's about perception, and the details reinforce that perception, not the other way around. Stern is perceived as a money-grubbing corporate behemoth, and the way they rolled this out only makes them look shadier. There's plenty of upcharging in R&M but they are transparent about it up-front and cultivate good will in the community, so they get no grief.

#6458 4 years ago

No one is denying what a great mofe/feature this is.

Yes it’s really cool and yes it makes the game better.

What’s NOT really cool is the way they knowingly planned it into the game and then showed it on a stream like just some cool new reveal.

It’s a F’n cash grab that they are exploiting in any current owner or potentially new buyer of this game.

This upgrade should’ve automatically been included for Premium/LE owners even as an after the production add on. Then offered as a purchased add on to the all the Pro model owners.

But Stern is just to GREEDY for that!

#6459 4 years ago
villagers (resized).jpgvillagers (resized).jpg
#6460 4 years ago

Not to mention the timing of this mod.

They slapped it on people as they are just now receiving their machines. It's not as if they spent extra time later on to develop this "Mod" and then released it later.

I literally think it was supposed to be included the whole time, and some Stern corporate chode spent a day looking at it thinking of what could be removed and sold later. He then came up with this idea to remove this effect and sell the shit later.

That's the problem.

This isn't a topper.

It's not a shaker.

It's a feature that was clearly designed to be included, as even evidenced by the UV paint you PAID for with the purchase of the game that can't even be utilized unless you fork over more cash.

What next, magnets under the playfield you PAID for when buying the game, but then have to purchase the node board and code to activate them a month after the game is released?

#6461 4 years ago

Yeah, complain all you want, but Stern doesn't listen to any criticism even if it's constructive since they just view Pinside as a cesspool. Basically what they are telling us is, you don't like it? Then fuck off, we don't need you.

Eventually when enough people have had it, they will have to change their ways. Their annual growth WILL come to an end and investors will start putting pressure on the leadership there. Will see how well they have developed this so called "lifestyle brand" by then...

#6462 4 years ago

They listed these options... They didnt include a shaker motor in the build and then sound a "secret reveal," stating that for 280 dollars you can buy a proprietary button to turn on the shaker...

#6463 4 years ago

Fickle FOMO's will be right back at it with chants of "take my money now" on the next title. LOL

And the title after the that....and the one after that.....

#6464 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Fickle FOMO's will be right back at it with chants of "take my money now" on the next title. LOL

I don't think I've ever seen a more "This food is terrible...and such small portions!!!" meltdown thread in the history of this place, and that's saying something. A bunch of people who think this game blows and have pledged to never buy a Stern again whining about something they don't need, don't want, and allegedly aren't buying, "white knighting" in the parlance of our times for the people who are.

And yet the game is selling. Just like the last outrage, the shitty Star Wars Topper nobody is going to buy that they literally can't keep in stock.

It's been alleged by Yancy that I masturbate to Stern offerings, which is pretty silly since everybody knows Stern cabinet decals disintegrate at the mere touch of semen and I'd never do anything to expose yet another Stern QC issue.

But if these outrage threads aren't messy circle jerks I honestly have no idea what is. As Rodney Dangerfield claims to have said first...get a room guys!

#6465 4 years ago

All the premium and LE owners can be disappointed that their games didn’t come factory with this add-on. But the head hunting of stern, claims of “unfairness” and “false advertising” are ridiculous. Even Kaneda the so-called “marketing expert” is blinded by fanboyism. And many of you have seemingly become a thoughtless echo chamber.
You were all presented with a description of the product you were buying, as well as a comparison features matrix, along with an MSRP. No where in any of those descriptions was this UV reactive playfield, or software feature for UV lighting during certain modes. You all elected to buy it without this feature, at less than the advertised price. None of you even knew it existed until a few days ago, and would have carried on bitching about unmakeable ramp shots, crappy coil stops, and failing lock posts.
Anything being offered for sale above and beyond what was in the product description or the features matrix is, an add-on. Yes, the limited editions are known for having the “most” features in the feature matrix but have never had “all” features. It isn’t possible given the three product line differences and choices, and is purely perception.
Some real world examples that none of you bat an eye at, high end trucks like a Ford “Raptors” and Dodge Ram “Rebels” include most optional features as standard. However there are still factory made and install-ready add-ons available from SVT and MOPAR. Tesla, actually installs mostly the same equipment in many cars but their full capabilities such as “ludicrous” mode are only limited by software.
You the consumer can choose to either buy the add-on, or not. But it is common practice, it is fair, and it is not false-advertising.

$8600 + $275 . I bought it. Don't pinstadiums cost $400?

The crybabies are just whining to themselves and pissing in the wind. LOL

#6466 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

This is my point.
The plan should have been to roll these out with the LEs and then had the reveal.
Immediately after the reveal you offer the pro and premium guys a chance to upgrade closer towards the LE and unveil the UV paint.
That could have been pulled off. That would have made sense. . .

Then pinside would have been screaming over 'I only bought the LE for this feature! they mislead me!' or "whats the point of a LE if anyone can add the stuff in..."

It's the equivalent of selling LE translights to anyone. Advertising something as an exclusive LE feature and then selling it to everyone would go over like a fart in an elevator.

#6467 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't think I've ever seen a more "This food is terrible...and such small portions!!!" meltdown thread in the history of this place, and that's saying something. A bunch of people who think this game blows and have pledged to never buy a Stern again whining about something they don't need, don't want, and allegedly aren't buying.
And yet the game is selling. Just like the last outrage, the Star Wars Topper nobody is going to buy that they literally can't keep in stock.
It's been alleged by Yancy that I masturbate to Stern offerings, which is pretty silly since everybody knows Stern cabinet decals disintegrate at the mere touch of semen.
But if these outrage threads aren't messy circle jerks I honestly have no idea what is.

LOL, yes it's mind blowing Levi, the fickle FOMO's are in epic whiner hate mode right now.

What's the impact on Stern? NOTHING

You said it, "and yet the game is still selling", just like JP and Elvira recently and the next ones coming down the line.

Pinstadiums, Color dmds, shitty plastic mods keep selling too. Why? It's what people want!

Let the circle jerkers continue, its funny to watch the hypocrisy on full display

#6468 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And Stern know this, right from the days of GB ghosted playfields and 'no one was going to buy nib again'.

Wait until Led Zeppelin LE is released.

Sold out on day 1 however it gets marketed.

#6469 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And Stern know this, right from the days of GB ghosted playfields and 'no one was going to buy nib again'.
Wait until Led Zeppelin LE is released.
Sold out on day 1 however it gets marketed.

Lol, i said the exact same thing after GB. Then i saw progress and i saw great games i wanted to buy and did.

People have ZERO credibility bitching about one issue with Stern when you can't acknowledge the positives. And there are MANY. They continue to scratch their heads as they reach record sales each year.

TREX is a great toy and innovation, the game itself is a GOAT candidate. Elvira is awesome and only getting better. And yes, PF issues have been addressed. You want an acrylic pf, go buy a Celts!

Anything like this VERY COOL add on that goes against the hate narrative toward Stern and Stranger Things is just gonna be attacked while i buy it, have fun with it, and enjoy this GREAT THEME.

While code and rules are in the infancy stage.

So we'll see, the only thing you can count on is the same handful of haters stomping their feet and whining about anything Stern while they wait on their Bricks game. LOL

#6470 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Stern defenders can rationally defend this move 'til they're blue (er, ultraviolet) in the face, but perception is reality. If customers feel like they got screwed, then it's a fail. You can't "logic" them out of an emotional reaction.

Correct - but that doesn't mean people get to create a new reality to bolster their emotional response.

The truth is this is no different than having a game pre-wired, bracketed, or software enabled for an add-on. But because it's a feature people think 'should have been included' - it's a riot over upcharges. Everything else is just alt-reality crap trying to make their case seem stronger.

And as others have included... people like Spooky are even making a coin box an 'upcharge' now... while the game's price increased over the last one... and no one bats an eye.

Why? Because 99% of the angst in this community is self-centered emotional crap - not rational thought.

#6471 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

An LE isn't even an LE anymore as it doesn't come with every feature offered by the manufacturer.

But that's not a real standard - Just crap people made up to justify their anger.

People are free to their own opinions - but not their own facts.

#6473 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I wonder if Stern will get sued by Pinstadium on this? Pinstadium had the UV lighting first didn't they?
Anyway, I think this and the new code update just made the game much much cooler and I think it will spark some interest in the game possibly. This game needs a boost so I'm glad to see some positivity for a change!

There was a Metallica mod that had UV light rails, except the rails were mounted above the playfield, a few inches out from the side walls. These were out well before Pinstadiums. It was those UV light rails I re-purposed for TFTC and installed mine on the sidewalls, like the original Pinstadiums.

#6474 4 years ago

So stupid to have people buy another apron, extremely wasteful considering they had prior knowledge.

If leaving the UV LEDs and light board out was a BOM decision, the future is looking bleak.

#6475 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's been alleged by Yancy that I masturbate to Stern offerings,

Looks like you hit the playfield this time.

#6476 4 years ago
Quoted from drained:

So stupid to have people buy another apron, extremely wasteful considering they had prior knowledge.

Yeah, that's the part that annoys me, just from a junk-filling-my-closet standpoint. Everyone ends up with a useless extra apron & plastics. Would've been a cheaper upgrade (or LE inclusion) without manufacturing redundant parts.

#6477 4 years ago

Crazy Levi is the largest Stern shill I have ever seen. I hope they pay you well, cause your explanations are horrendous.

#6478 4 years ago

wonder if they will start locking code features once the games are online and you have to pay to progress through the game Like in most phone apps “double flip to purchase extra mode” lol

#6479 4 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

Crazy Levi is the largest Stern shill I have ever seen. I hope they pay you well, cause your explanations are horrendous.

When have I ever told you clowns to buy ANYTHING?

I don't think you know what a shill is.

In case you guys haven't figured it out yet, I'm not pro Stern. I'm anti-idiocy.

#6480 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Everyone ends up with a useless extra apron

New Apron of destiny?!? Haha

#6481 4 years ago

This has been quite the welcome back to pinball experience for Brian Eddy.

#6482 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

wonder if they will start locking code features once the games are online and you have to pay to progress through the game Like in most phone apps “double flip to purchase extra mode” lol

I have no doubt something along those lines will happen. Internet connectivity opens the door for them to come up with a lot more creative ways to get us to pay extra for things that should have been included.

#6483 4 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

This has been quite the welcome back to pinball experience for Brian Eddy.

Should have passed it up. Stern ruined his return.

#6484 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I have no doubt something along those lines will happen. Internet connectivity opens the door for them to come up with a lot more creative ways to get us to pay extra for things that should have been included.

And when selling a game it’s percentage of unlocked code will affect the price etc... like NIB will be vanilla but used might have more stuff unlocked etc... who knows what the future will bring. But totally agree many many More ways for them to make more money off these things.

#6485 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't think I've ever seen a more "This food is terrible...and such small portions!!!" meltdown thread in the history of this place, and that's saying something. A bunch of people who think this game blows and have pledged to never buy a Stern again whining about something they don't need, don't want, and allegedly aren't buying, "white knighting" in the parlance of our times for the people who are.
And yet the game is selling. Just like the last outrage, the shitty Star Wars Topper nobody is going to buy that they literally can't keep in stock.
It's been alleged by Yancy that I masturbate to Stern offerings, which is pretty silly since everybody knows Stern cabinet decals disintegrate at the mere touch of semen and I'd never do anything to expose yet another Stern QC issue.
But if these outrage threads aren't messy circle jerks I honestly have no idea what is. As Rodney Dangerfield claims to have said first...get a room guys!

I wish we could all be as smart as you Levi. You are such a wealth of pinball knowledge and such a pinball God that it makes the rest of us feel like we arent worthy.

#6486 4 years ago

Or they could pull a Tesla move and take back the software upgrades when you sell your game to someone else. Same way Tesla just restricted autopilot and mileage upgrade to a reseller last week

#6487 4 years ago

No matter how you slice it, this was a bad business move.

#6488 4 years ago

Just hope that when stern does go digital... that they attach purchases to the machine... not the user. Imagine not being able to sell all the upgrades you bought for your games....

#6489 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Just hope that when stern does go digital... that they attach purchases to the machine... not the user. Imagine not being able to sell all the upgrades you bought for your games....

Stern really does have to tread lightly with messing with the resale value of machines (and I think they know this). I'm fine with the pinball hobby as an obscene luxury item if I can recoup a decent percentage of the money back eventually (actually it's the only way I can rationalize this hobby), but if it suddenly becomes a complicated mess to resell machines or the resale value starts tanking it becomes impossible to justify.

I guess they just go back to mainly selling to operators?

#6490 4 years ago

I wonder if we will start seeing dodgy roms that offer free upgrades etc...

#6491 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When have I ever told you clowns to buy ANYTHING?
I don't think you know what a shill is.
In case you guys haven't figured it out yet, I'm not pro Stern. I'm anti-idiot. And it never ends around here!

Now we're clowns... You such a nice guy Levy.

#6492 4 years ago
download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg
#6493 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Really good point. No way will the Digital Rights Management travel with the game. The upgrades will definitely be tied to the user account. This will take a direction exactly like video games. Every publisher has their own content pusher app and tie their content directly to the user/subscription account. If I sell my computer/Xbox/Playstation on Ebay, my games and upgrades stay with me...they don't travel with the hardware. This will hurt resale, but Stern is not in the resale business.

#6494 4 years ago

This is great stuff. I now have this marked as one of my favorites. I’m really enjoying this. Please continue.

D25F692B-DF64-4265-9060-CFFAB4602107 (resized).jpegD25F692B-DF64-4265-9060-CFFAB4602107 (resized).jpeg
#6495 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

I wonder if we will start seeing dodgy roms that offer free upgrades etc...

If they are smart, they already are thinking about phasing out USB updates in the future, and updating will/should be tied solely to the user account via wifi. DRM is real and alive in the PC/gaming world and the direction Pinball is going with connectivity, to offer the change for pirated Rom's to leak doesn't help their bottom line. Games used to have 21 + codes to enter to access upgrade features and play the game, but there was a crack code that afternoon, when account subscription became a thing, the game was then married to the account owner basically eliminating rampant piracy. It still exists but is far less than back in the day. Stern has roots in the gaming industry, I can almost say without a doubt, they are on it..It's why we don't see it yet on the machines, it's not about the hardware...It's about the account subscription creation and content provision model.

#6496 4 years ago

If only I could digitally remove my aftermarket plunger, playfield protector, powder coated legs/armor/habitrails...

#6497 4 years ago

I'm an LE owner and I'm not going to buy their paid DLC-type addon. Fuck stern.

#6498 4 years ago

The higher tech pinball machines become, the more susceptible to depreciation they become. I think I can speak on behalf of many of us- the reason we fork over this kind of cash for a wooden box filled with lights, sounds, and mechanical toys is that we know we aren't really going to lose a ton of money when we're done with them. Gone are the days of appreciation for newer titles, but these aren't investments.

But will people be able to justify spending $9K on a machine that will be $5500 in 6 months or a year? The higher tech we go with these the more outdated they become as time goes on in my opinion. That is why old mobile phones, tablets, PCs etc go down in value. Stern is trying to act like a tech company right now. This move they just pulled is effectively going to kill the pinball market in the long term.

Which is why many of us are bitching about it. This isnt just another $279 bling upgrade. Its a sign of whats to come and THAT, my friends, is what is upsetting.

#6499 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I'm an LE owner and I'm not going to buy this mod. Fuck stern.

You serious? You already got boned for 9k, what's another 300? I wouldn't want this game without this mod.

#6500 4 years ago

I think a lot of people on here take themselves way too seriously.

I think a lot of people on Pinside are overly reactive, emotional, and negative.

I think when the dust settles and more rational/logical thought returns, people will realize this is a great game.... it is brutal, fast, has great flow, an awesome ball lock, innovative projector, cool UB artwork, and a fun demo toy. I think it's going to be a special game when it's all said and done, and I think Brian Eddy and the team did some great work.

Stern isn't the devil. They make fun pinball machines. It's just weird to me that so many people complain so much about a completely unnecessary toy/purchase in general (Speaking of pinball in general...not the UV thing) I you don't like something...don't buy it. It's just pinball...in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. I think most of us could use a little perspective.

If money is the big hangup, just buy one used or get a show deal. You want have to dial in a machine and you'll save money vs NIB.

The one thing I would really like to see change is for Stern to have true competition. I'm rooting for other companies to push Stern in the future. That's good for everybody.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 130 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/130 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.