IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 144.
#551 4 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Bob said he hopes it doesn't suck.[quoted image]

R.I.P.

#552 4 years ago
7170780B-1D07-4B19-BF2A-BC6E85D2AD77 (resized).jpeg7170780B-1D07-4B19-BF2A-BC6E85D2AD77 (resized).jpeg
#553 4 years ago

idk if I trust anything from Kaneda but FWIW (hadn't seen this posted or mentioned, sorry if I missed it)

take_with_salt (resized).pngtake_with_salt (resized).png
#554 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I like how she says “crayon” the way I do...”cran”....lol...drives my wife fucking nuts.

Wife west coast? Cran gotta be midwestern, "Cray-on" is totally weird.

#555 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

idk if I trust anything from Kaneda but FWIW (hadn't seen this posted or mentioned, sorry if I missed it)[quoted image]

December 23rd or CES, wow he’s got some insider info there

#556 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

idk if I trust anything from Kaneda but FWIW (hadn't seen this posted or mentioned, sorry if I missed it)[quoted image]

the goalpost seems to keep moving. itll either come tomorrow, or anytime between tomorrow and next summer. certainly anxious on this one though.

#557 4 years ago

This reveal seems so crazy to me, what would they possible have to gain by announcing it on Dec 23rd. It's like how to fail at sales and marketing. If your selling a product anywhere near the Christmas window in the United States consumers have to at least be aware before black Friday.

#558 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

If your selling a product anywhere near the Christmas window in the United States consumers have to at least be aware before black Friday.

Didn't seem to be a problem for rick and morty?

#559 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

... If your selling a product anywhere near the Christmas window in the United States consumers have to at least be aware before black Friday.

Like Rick & Morty? Like any pinball machine before? Pinball folks and OPs aren't John Q Shopper

#560 4 years ago

Details!  

GENERAL
* Layout by Bryan Eddy
* Code by Lonnie and Mike
* Artwork based on Netflix illustration style
* Fan layout
* Flow, progression and shot balance is designed to feel like MM or AFM

TOYS
* Demogorgan head bash toy up the center with drop targets in front.  Supposed to be Hawkings lab with the portal to the upside down
* Projector under the apron that "transforms" playfield objects!  So ramps, standups, drops and other elements on the playfield change based on the location in the mode you're playing (Upside Down, Will's house, wherever).  There are even scoring elements projected onto things (like numbers on drop targets).
* Upside Down is random hurry-up mode.  One of the kids flips into the upside down and you need to hit shot(s) to bring them back.

GAMEPLAY
* Half a dozen multiball modes
* 3 staging areas to hold the ball
* 40+ modes, designed for longevity in the home

PREMIUM/LE
* "Telekinesis" ball lock up left ramp (multiple balls can "stick" to the backboard via magnet, like 11 pinning the demogorgan to the wall)
* Demogorgan toy moves

#561 4 years ago

double post

#562 4 years ago

Rick and Morty is a very limited run of a fairly niche item. If Stern is paying for the Stranger Things license why would they want to hide it?! Why would you not want to at least have it in peoples heads. It was very odd that Stern just did nothing while Rick and Morty sold out and they are sitting on Stranger Things. It makes no sense.

#563 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Bah I hope it's not the same old rules.

#564 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Sounds pretty amazing to me

#565 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Did you read the rest of it?? Haha.

#566 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Details!  
GENERAL
* Layout by Bryan Eddy
* Fan layout
TOYS
* Demogorgan head bash toy up the center with drop targets in front.  Supposed to be Hawkings lab with the portal to the upside down
* Projector under the apron that "transforms" playfield objects!  So ramps, standups, drops and other elements on the playfield change based on the location in the mode you're playing (Upside Down, Will's house, wherever).  There are even scoring elements projected onto things (like numbers on drop targets).
* Upside Down is random hurry-up mode.  One of the kids flips into the upside down and you need to hit shot(s) to bring them back.
GAMEPLPAY
PREMIUM/LE
* "Telekinesis" ball lock up left ramp (multiple balls can "stick" to the backboard via magnet, like 11 pinning the demogorgan to the wall)
* Demogorgan toy moves

i hope you are correct! because im saving 2k by getting a pro if so!

#567 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

i hope you are correct! because im saving 2k by getting a pro if so!

If the only differences are magnets in the backboard and a solenoid-activated toy, this has KISS Pro vs. Prem written all over it again. Hopefully the demogorgan doesn't "twitch"

#568 4 years ago

40+ modes?

Can’t imagine they got the assets for all those scenes, but I really hope so!

#569 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Did you read the rest of it?? Haha.

Yes I did and it sounds great, and I got monies set aside if it's good, but it really doesn't tell me anything.
"40+ modes" sounds great, but it could also be pointless or give you the Star Trek shoot the lit shot boring feeling. Or "you hit 10 pops that completes 1 mode" type of thing.
I'm just saying I don;t need another "shoot all shots 4 times to ...." like MM/AFM/MB/CC.

The projector thing i can't even imagine so I'm trying not too, could be great!

#570 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

If the only differences are magnets in the backboard and a solenoid-activated toy, this has KISS Pro vs. Prem written all over it again. Hopefully the demogorgan doesn't "twitch"

Yeah, this isn't a complete rundown as far as I know. I'm sure there are more differences. I don't think they'd do the projector for the Pro...doesn't seem right for location play?

#571 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Details!  
GENERAL
* Layout by Bryan Eddy
* Fan layout
TOYS
GAMEPLPAY
PREMIUM/LE
* Demogorgan toy moves

Sounds cool, where did this info come from? Can it be trusted? Thanks for posting either way. Backboard sounds cool but would love to see some magnets on the playfield too.

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes I did and it sounds great, and I got monies set aside if it's good, but it really doesn't tell me anything.
"40+ modes" sounds great, but it could also be pointless or give you the Star Trek shoot the lit shot boring feeling. Or "you hit 10 pops that completes 1 mode" type of thing.
I'm just saying I don;t need another "shoot all shots 4 times to ...." like MM/AFM/MB/CC.
The projector thing i can't even imagine so I'm trying not too, could be great!

Yeah Lonnie is a worry, I love ST but it is a little repetitive and the fact the layout sounds almost the same as AFM/MM is a bummer.

#573 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Details!  
GENERAL
* Layout by Bryan Eddy
* Fan layout
TOYS
GAMEPLPAY
PREMIUM/LE
* Demogorgan toy moves

I hope this is true

#574 4 years ago

The projector thing sounds neat. Reminded me of this homebrew project: https://diode.zone/videos/watch/dd039de1-e8e2-47c9-b761-6ca2092eb717

#575 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Details!  
GENERAL
* Layout by Bryan Eddy
* Fan layout
TOYS
GAMEPLPAY
PREMIUM/LE
* Demogorgan toy moves

Sounds incredible. I hope all the elements come together. With this list it sure sounds promising!

#576 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Rick and Morty is a very limited run of a fairly niche item. If Stern is paying for the Stranger Things license why would they want to hide it?! Why would you not want to at least have it in peoples heads. It was very odd that Stern just did nothing while Rick and Morty sold out and they are sitting on Stranger Things. It makes no sense.

Probably because of licensing arrangements with their business partners. They can't talk about it before they're allowed to and probably didn't know exactly when Spooky would reveal their game. But also, this game hasn't been a total secret this past month.

#577 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Please don’t fuck the art Stern, the Netflix illustration style for the posters is perfect just don’t copy and past the 3 posters and call it a day.

#578 4 years ago

The new guys are killing it. Stranger things needs amazing code I hope Lonny is up for the task!

#579 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The projector thing sounds neat.

Don't put too much thought into it. Might be like an "interactive tie fighter" equaled a $2 toy on a spring. I'm keeping my expectations low. That way I can be surprised at reveal which will happen before Xmas.

#580 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Probably because of licensing arrangements with their business partners. They can't talk about it before they're allowed to and probably didn't know exactly when Spooky would reveal their game. But also, this game hasn't been a total secret this past month.

It's always because of the license, when you license something they actually want to make money too. I have never heard of a license the actually tries to limit revenue. If they didn't want you to sell it why would the grant you the license. Why would Netflix or whomever owns Stranger Things want this under wraps, maybe if it was a Stranger Things season 4 pin but this is Stern they are always behind.

#581 4 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Don't put too much thought into it. Might be like an "interactive tie fighter" equaled a $2 toy on a spring. I'm keeping my expectations low. That way I can be surprised at reveal which will happen before Xmas.

I think it's a big part of the game. Lots of elements on the playfield are basically white so the projected images pop...when the game is off it looks weird.

Seems like they went all in on the concept, so hopefully it's great!

#582 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Sounds cool, where did this info come from? Can it be trusted? Thanks for posting either way. Backboard sounds cool but would love to see some magnets on the playfield too.

This is Pinside, there are no sources. Now Kaneda is copy/pasting this comment on his FB, where it will be read + repeated as further fact. It's turtles all the way down.

#583 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

I think it's a big part of the game. Lots of elements on the playfield are basically white so the projected images pop...when the game is off it looks weird.
Seems like they went all in on the concept, so hopefully it's great!

You've seen the game powered on + off?

#584 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It's always because of the license, when you license something they actually want to make money too. I have never heard of a license the actually tries to limit revenue. If they didn't want you to sell it why would the grant you the license. Why would Netflix or whomever owns Stranger Things want this under wraps, maybe if it was a Stranger Things season 4 pin but this is Stern they are always behind.

That's not how it works

Stern paid Netflix a license fee. Netflix says ok, you can use our property under these stipulations during a certain time frame. (Stipulations like Netflix gets final approval of everything from the game to promotional material, and what all is and isn't allowed to be used upon the granting of the license). So Stern can't show off anything to the public until Netflix says they can. Netflix probably doesn't care how many are sold because they've already been paid (unless some sort of royalty was negotiated). Spooky literally just had this issue with Rick and Morty, so they were posting photos of the underside of the playfield while they waited on Adult Swim to approve everything.

That's how so many licenses work. For example, think of how much Star Wars merch/junk is fully designed, being built, and ready to be advertised and go on sale....but they have to wait till Disney says they can go on sale, especially for things that may tip off the storyline of the movie.

#586 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Details!  

I've always wondered why not just use 1 keystroke instead of 10..... It's still just 6, dressing it up with fancy talk doesn't make it any more or better lol

#587 4 years ago

This goes against what I usually say but I've actually had my fill of random I ayouts and wouldn't mind a really good themed MM or AFM layout as neither of those really interest me.

Long story short, I'm on board if this is AFM stranger things version

#588 4 years ago

I like what I'm hearing so far.

The projector stuff sounds really cool. Might need to play this game in low lighting.

I hope the Demogorgan toy is cool and does more than shake on a spring.

With what we know so far, it seems like the game will rise or fall on those two features.

The telekinesis thing could be cool as well. The feature in kiss didn't do a lot for me, but of course I love the lock in the Shadow, so I trust Eddy on this part.

#589 4 years ago

This game is gonna hinge on how well that projector effect is pulled off. In different lighting situations, etc. I don't have much confidence but we'll see.

#590 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I like what I'm hearing so far.
The projector stuff sounds really cool. Might need to play this game in low lighting.
I hope the Demogorgan toy is cool and does more than shake on a spring.
With what we know so far, it seems like the game will rise or fall on those two features.
The telekinesis thing could be cool as well. The feature in kiss didn't do a lot for me, but of course I love the lock in the Shadow, so I trust Eddy on this part.

Would be cool if its mouth opened after so many hits, caught the ball and spit it out. Or maybe that's been done too many times. :-0

#591 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

This game is gonna hinge on how well that projector effect is pulled off. In different lighting situations, etc. I don't have much confidence but we'll see.

Yep I got my fingers crossed big time!

#592 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

This goes against what I usually say but I've actually had my fill of random I ayouts and wouldn't mind a really good themed MM or AFM layout as neither of those really interest me.
Long story short, I'm on board if this is AFM stranger things version

Agreed. I don't mind a fan layout.

Fan layout is a pretty generic term...kind of like saying a movie is an action movie. There is a lot of details/variables/nuances/code involved in a game.

I love MM and AFM...but I don't like Munsters or Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think in 2019, if you're going to have a basic fan layout, then the execution of the games features/toys/code/lighting/callouts/artwork, etc...needs to be on point to be a great game.

It's going to come down to execution.

#593 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Details!  
GENERAL
* Layout by Bryan Eddy
* Fan layout
TOYS
GAMEPLAY
PREMIUM/LE
* Demogorgan toy moves

Just sounds like a "best of pinball" list to feed the hype train. 40+ modes?? Seriously doubt it - whats the most modes in a Stern game? B66? and that doesn't even come close to 40.

#594 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

That's not how it works
Stern paid Netflix a license fee. Netflix says ok, you can use our property under these stipulations during a certain time frame. (Stipulations like Netflix gets final approval of everything from the game to promotional material, and what all is and isn't allowed to be used upon the granting of the license). So Stern can't show off anything to the public until Netflix says they can. Netflix probably doesn't care how many are sold because they've already been paid (unless some sort of royalty was negotiated). Spooky literally just had this issue with Rick and Morty, so they were posting photos of the underside of the playfield while they waited on Adult Swim to approve everything.
That's how so many licenses work. For example, think of how much Star Wars merch/junk is fully designed, being built, and ready to be advertised and go on sale....but they have to wait till Disney says they can go on sale, especially for things that may tip off the storyline of the movie.

Stern is not tipping anything off about Stranger Things. If Stern is this far along the licensing is done and there would be no reason for the licensor to limit the announcement. Also everything about these deals is negotiable. I'm just so tired of every oddball ass backwards move Stern makes gets blamed on some license from a company that is super modern and cutting edge. We see 5 billion Star Wars products but it takes Stern years to get a way over priced cheap topper done and its all because of the license.

#595 4 years ago

Enough about Stranger Things, which is not being released today. We need an update on the MMr!

#WhereIsTheSternMMr?

#596 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Just sounds like a "best of pinball" list to feed the hype train. 40+ modes?? Seriously doubt it - whats the most modes in a Stern game? B66? and that doesn't even come close to 40.

FC471CE7-423A-4C86-B4B1-CCF3D338A7AA (resized).jpegFC471CE7-423A-4C86-B4B1-CCF3D338A7AA (resized).jpeg
#597 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Enough about Stranger Things, which is not being released today. We need an update on the MMr!
#WhereIsTheSternMMr?

That's game's old, man.

#598 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

If there's one thing that bugs me about Stern's premium / LE features its that there isn't much code for them. A vast majority of Stern premium / LE toys just do one or two things and that's it. Unfortunately Stern doesn't go crazy coding the hell out of premium / LE features as they can't (or likely don't want to) have the code differ that much from pro code. This is the biggest downside to offering multiple models that feature different interactive items on the playfield.

#599 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

[quoted image]

Ohhh come on chuckwort, you've been around here long enough to know how the Stern hypetrain works. They've got it down to a fine art, and strategically placed Pinside "leaks" promising "best game ever" are just part of the "fun".

#600 4 years ago

I don't watch the show. I watched the first season and said wow the special fx are so bad, the plot makes no sense, but I gave it one more season. Season 2 was the worst it was impossible to even follow it. Someone said watch season 3 its the best, but I couldn't even watch season 2.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walnutport, PA
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/12?hl=donkadelic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.