IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 144.
#6301 4 years ago

You kind of have to wonder... people suggested this title was a dud for sales. How is showing off some cool "DLC" feature for an ADDITIONAL $300 on top of your $6K-$9K purchase going to move more units? This has to be a ploy to sell more JP2's, because at least that game has some shit inside it, right?

#6302 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

After kicking ass on two of the greatest fun games ever tonight and still UPDATING.....
Yes that's JPLE and ElviraLE. LOL . Seriously, several thousand people get it but.....
You dopes figure it out because I'm LMAO
Where are the crybaby pictures?
This is just another great game and the handful of numb nuts will never figure it out!

I can't stop playing it, first of all because it's such a cool game, but mostly because it keeps kicking my ass. New code update is fantastic and it's STILL early code. And my JPLE sits lonely on the other side of the room waiting for me to return (and that game is a masterpiece, IMHO).

#6303 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

ohh ... can I guess?
"Please enter your stern.com login and password : _____"
*bzzzt*
"You're stern account does not have an online subscription.
Please choose from the following subscription options
Stern Online Basic : $9.99 per month. On screen update notifications. Manually triggered updates.
Stern Online Standard : $15.99 per month. 1 automatic after hours code update per machine. Access to leader board for 1 machine."
Stern Online Premium : $29.99 per month. Unlimited code updates. Access to all leader boards. Hidden LE code unlocks"

As it was hidden in the game and was always intended it should have been a "check for a FREE thank you surprise at your distributor!" for atleast LE/premium owners.

I'm assuming you'll register at Stern then attach the machines you own by serial number. Then any enhancements you pay for with the credit card required to have on file (not a great idea given Stern's history with email hacks) will be remotely unlocked on the machines you choose once you've paid. There will probably be an IFPA connection with subscription for the scoring/leaderboards.

This is a terrible path.

#6304 4 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

What I’m really curious about because quite frankly I have no idea, but would doing this to a playfield cost more than a general playfield and if so how much cost would that be to manufacture? Because this would literally mean every Stranger Things buyer has purchased a product with a hidden feature baked into the BOM that’s not even accessible without spending additional money on top of the purchase price.

I could see it being argued a few ways.

Buyers paid for extra design and ink they won't necessarily ever see.
Stern put extra design and printing into every machine hoping against hope to make their money back with the sale of UV LEDs.

#6305 4 years ago

It's comical. People pay unbelievable amounts of $$ for shit plastic mods (for the most part) on every game and then here comes a "mod" from Stern.

You know it's true. Like a monkey F ing a football. LOL

#6306 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's comical. People pay unbelievable amounts of $$ for shit plastic mods (for the most part) on every game and then here comes a "mod" from Stern.

A mod is an add on to the machine made post production. This was a trick to get people to pay 279 dollars to u lock the full potential of the game.

Its dishonest sales. Plain and simple

#6307 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I can't stop playing it, first of all because it's such a cool game, but mostly because it keeps kicking my ass. New code update is fantastic and it's STILL early code. And my JPLE sits lonely on the other side of the room waiting for me to return (and that game is a masterpiece, IMHO).

Well Boobie, i'm looking forward to adding this great THEME to my lineup and putting it right next to JPLE and ElviraLE and having FUN like you on this game.

Just updated both JP and Elvira code. Seriously, how do you get a much better experience in pinball than those two games? You don't.

Stranger Things looks awesome. Fake news is trying to make it into a pile of shit which we know doesn't matter in the first place AND the same jealous haters can't stand someone else's happiness.

#6308 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

A mod is an add on to the machine made post production. This was a trick to get people to pay 279 dollars to u lock the full potential of the game.
Its dishonest sales. Plain and simple

Stern gave suckers that bought the Prem/LE the gatekeeper, but they have to BUY the keymaster to unlock a feature that was likely in the design from the beginning. Very uncool, but not surprising.

#6309 4 years ago

OMG, we got F ing "tricked". LOL

What it is NOT is a "butter cabinet".

#6310 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

OMG, we got F ing "tricked". LOL
What it is NOT is a "butter cabinet".

By that I assume you mean it wasnt an option listed to the consumer like a butter dipper cabinet? Correct.

#6311 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

C'mon Ice, no doubt this is a very cool feature of the game. Especially given that the PreLe will already be played in the dark to get the full benefit of the projector. This should have been/was a standard feature of the game and had it been "unlocked" at launch, the game might not have copped as much of the negative reaction it did.

But implementing it this way? Even the Sternest of Stern apologists cant deny it's a cynical premeditated abuse of their customer goodwill.

#6312 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I agree 100%. This is not that big of a deal

#6313 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Because the UV ink makes this game

Amazing how so many people bought this game without even knowing it existed! I guess they were pretty fucking clairvoyant weren't they?

#6314 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well Boobie, i'm looking forward to adding this great THEME to my lineup and putting it right next to JPLE and ElviraLE and having FUN like you on this game.
Just updated both JP and Elvira code. Seriously, how do you get a much better experience in pinball than those two games? You don't.
Stranger Things looks awesome. Fake news is trying to make it into a pile of shit which we know doesn't matter in the first place AND the same jealous haters can't stand someone else's happiness.

I’m liking mine a lot. It’s tough but fun like twd. Close the outlanes to the middle setting and that’s all you need. No demo shot problems and there’s new code now

#6315 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

C'mon Ice, no doubt this is a very cool feature of the game. Especially given that the PreLe will already be played in the dark to get the full benefit of the projector. This should have been/was a standard feature of the game and had it been "unlocked" at launch, the game might not have copped as much of the negative reaction it did.
But implementing it this way? Even the Sternest of Stern apologists cant deny it's a cynical premeditated abuse of their customer goodwill.

Come on Cookie, we like the same games and buy them right?

Even the Bricks apologists and hyper FOMO crowd can put the hater fest down for a moment? LOL

I'm F ing tired of the Stern blah, blah, blah..........

I BUY games that i like, themes that i like and i don't give a F who makes em. Stern or not.

As for "apologists", JJP can kiss my f ing ass right now.

#6316 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Amazing how so many people bought this game without even knowing it existed! I guess they were pretty fucking clairvoyant weren't they?

It would have been completely different if they were like: " Oh hey! BTW! There is secret UV ink under the paint that can be seen under black lights! Go get your black lights if you want!"

But no. It was this. It was essentially: " We put this awesome feature hidden in the completed game knowing that we will release the hardware later on your dime."

#6317 4 years ago

Wow just shaking my head at the suckers on this website who will defend stern to the end. Fucking embarrassing. They are now charging for GI effects that were literally printed into the Pf from day 1 and these dummies are saying it’s just like an aftermarket mod.

HOLY shit - it’s unbelievable. I wouldn’t even waste one breath trying to explain to these shills - just remembering the names of the mindless army who just can’t wait to take it next from Gary. It’s like stern somehow took away their common sense. I’m waiting for our favorite distributor to start promoting this feature too - lets just complete the loop. BUY BUY BUY!

#6318 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It makes you wonder why Stern didn't list UV playfield ink on the games feature matrix since they always list even the most basic of features (ex. super smooth action spinner). Did Stern think they would piss early LE buyers off and wanted a good chunk of games sold first?

#6319 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Come on Cookie, we like the same games and buy them right?
Even the Bricks apologists and hyper FOMO crowd can put the hater fest down for a moment? LOL
I'm F ing tired of the Stern blah, blah, blah..........
I BUY games that i like, themes that i like and i don't give a F who makes em. Stern or not.
As for "apologists", JJP can kiss my f ing ass right now.

LOL

Where the F is your Stranger Things LE anyway?? You're like the last person to get delivery - the Aussie games will be delivered before you get yours at this rate.

Speaking of which, there's a few LE's still left for sale with the distributor down here - might be a good time to pick up the phone and get the UV "upgrade" thrown in for free

#6320 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It makes you wonder why Stern didn't list UV playfield ink as a feature on their feature matrix since they always list even the most basic of features (ex. super smooth action spinner).

Wat8.jpgWat8.jpg

Because they wanted exactly what they have here... the ability to sell an add-on kit.

Advertising the ink you can't take advantage of is even more backwards...

My comment was about the revisionist statement happening now.. that this feature is the feature that MAKES THE GAME - yet so many people shelled out thousands of dollars WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING IT EXISTED. It's using hindsight to rewrite history and justify something today. Complete bs

#6321 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Wow just shaking my head at the suckers on this website who will defend stern to the end. Fucking embarrassing. They are now charging for GI effects that were literally printed into the Pf from day 1 and these dummies are saying it’s just like an aftermarket mod.
HOLY shit - it’s unbelievable. I wouldn’t even waste one breath trying to explain to these shills - just remembering the names of the mindless army who just can’t wait to take it next from Gary. It’s like stern somehow took away their common sense. I’m waiting for our favorite distributor to start promoting this feature too - lets just complete the loop. BUY BUY BUY!

Here's my deal: I bought an LE. I was scared shitless by the people dissing the game (the pro, which I don't think is the same experience at all), and I was going to cancel my order. I'm glad I didn't. This game is really a shit ton of fun, especially if you're a fan of the show, and it'll only get better with code improvements. Yes...there are mechanical/leveling things that need to be tweaked, but I've had to do that on the last few games I bought (only MBLE required no tweaks at all).

As for the UV, yes...it's dirty pool. Big time. I'm pissed off about having to spend the extra money for something that should have been included. But now that you know it's there, how do you not get it? That's what they were planning on. So I got it.

But I'll tell you this: barring a full-featured Led Zeppelin game that could conceivably sucker me back into the NIB ass-reaming, I'm done with Stern (and pretty much everyone else) for 2020.

Both sides of the arguments are actually correct in this thread. The game is a ripoff. But it's also a freaking blast. (And I've got it sitting next to JPLE, too, which is taking a rest right now...)

#6322 4 years ago

So they going to offer this as a factory fitted option I wonder?

#6323 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

[quoted image]
Because they wanted exactly what they have here... the ability to sell an add-on kit.
Advertising the ink you can't take advantage of is even more backwards...
My comment was about the revisionist statement happening now.. that this feature is the feature that MAKES THE GAME - yet so many people shelled out thousands of dollars WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING IT EXISTED. It's using hindsight to rewrite history and justify something today. Complete bs

I think people are just offended that the groundwork for a feature exists in their games already, and now rather than boost those customers faith in their purchase, Stern sees the $$$$$.

It wasn't upfront at all. This wasn't like Stern magically discovered the UV ink. A preplanned, accessible to every existing game, future mod that went unannounced at launch is a shitty business practice.

#6324 4 years ago

I'm buying the UV Kit; I think it's a dope idea

#6325 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

A preplanned, accessible to every existing game, future mod that went unannounced at launch is a shitty business practice.

These guys would like a word with you...

SPIKE_2_Headphone_Kit_d2ce2d25-9f20-40d9-acab-375df08c6747_1070x1070_crop_center.jpgSPIKE_2_Headphone_Kit_d2ce2d25-9f20-40d9-acab-375df08c6747_1070x1070_crop_center.jpgbk-topper.jpgbk-topper.jpgcrop-0-0-2048-1003-0-IMG_6453.pngcrop-0-0-2048-1003-0-IMG_6453.pngimages (1).jpegimages (1).jpeg

#6326 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So are you officially out on Stern? No TMNT or future Stern titles? Asking for a friend.

#6327 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So they going to offer this as a factory fitted option I wonder?

Why? Stern doesn't do any build to order for customers. They ship inventory to distributors.

That would be a market for resellers - not Stern under their model.

#6328 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why? Stern doesn't do any build to order for customers. They ship inventory to distributors.
That would be a market for resellers - not Stern under their model.

Well, I just thought since they already fitted 1/2 the kit (ie the UV PF), they could easily fit the remaining parts.

#6329 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

LOL
Where the F is your Stranger Things LE anyway?? You're like the last person to get delivery - the Aussie games will be delivered before you get yours at this rate.
Speaking of which, there's a few LE's still left for sale with the distributor down here - might be a good time to pick up the phone and get the UV "upgrade" thrown in for free

I am jumping on some ass now BUT happy to be late delivery.

Wait a minute, pinball is a F ing ripoff? But its the greatest thing ever?

Yeah its both.

#6330 4 years ago

Any word on Official Side-blades and shooter rod? I haven't seen anything posted yet.

#6331 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

These guys would like a word with you...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How much does Stern charge for those headphone jack kits?

I know the toppers are $500 and up.

Those are existing cables that can be accessed for things not even gameplay, directly, functional. A playfield with specific ink qualities, integrated into every game, is not a gratuitous add on feature. It's the literal definition of a feature....BAKED IN.

Besides, those toppers should have been included in LE purchases.....

#6332 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No.. they liked the theme and purchased regardless.. Just like I would be all in on a BTTF sight unseen...I like the theme, I love Stranger Things.. Did I buy one yet.. No, because it didn't fit the image of what I had in mind for atmosphere.. Does it look good now, absolutely, it looks like it should out from the day one stream. The code is maturing and I'm sure it's fun to shoot via the work of Eddy and Vinikour. What disappoints me is the marketing stage that's being set akin to loot crates and pay as you go Video game market strategy.

This UV actually makes me want to buy one... It's what I had hoped for the first I heard of a Stranger Things pin...I guess what is different here is it's not just code but a physical feature..So why wasn't this feature touted from the beginning.. The game would probably be sitting higher on the praise shelf as a result of early feature divulgence.

#6333 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

How much does Stern charge for those headphone jack kits?

I know the toppers are $500 and up.

Those are existing cables that can be accessed for things not even gameplay, directly, functional. A playfield with specific ink qualities, integrated into every game, is not a gratuitous add on feature. It's the literal definition of a feature....BAKED IN.

The headphone jack kits are available now because... pssstt.. they built it into the spike hardware design.. its BAKED IN! Oh, and they didn't tell you when they shipped the spike hardware either!

#6334 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It makes you wonder why Stern didn't list UV playfield ink on the games feature matrix since they always list even the most basic of features (ex. super smooth action spinner). Did Stern think they would piss early LE buyers off and wanted a good chunk of games sold first?

Nah, they didn't want modders to get to it before them for cheaper. This was planned, and underhanded. Sure, in the grand scheme of things it probably isn't a big deal...but after spending 9k for them to be like 'oh surprise' give us more money is pretty low.

#6335 4 years ago

Shhhh....don't tell anybody, it's called "marketing".

Please don't tell the shitty plastic mod people what Stern is up to? It's blasphemy. We want FREE shit!!!

And they don't care about the broke, lack of space, wan't free shit crowd. It's hysterical.

The game itself doesn't matter? LOL

#6336 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The headphone jack kits are available now because... pssstt.. they built it into the spike hardware design.. its BAKED IN! Oh, and they didn't tell you when they shipped the spike hardware either!

You missed/negated my point.

The playfield is a LITERAL gameplay feature. An add-on headphone jack, is not.

#6337 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Please don't tell the shitty plastic mod people what Stern is up to? It's blasphemy. We want FREE shit!!!

So you're another of those dishonest commercial types? Seems about right given some of what you've posted here. Money over everything am i right? LOL (did I do that right? Adding LOL at the end makes it fine right?) Used car salesman ethics. Gotta love it.

#6338 4 years ago

They should have a setting in these that charges 1/2 a Credit per Extra ball Awarded.

#6339 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Ugh broken record already! You know this is different. This is something fucking physically built into the PF, was premeditated and calculated to be withheld at release unbeknownst to buyers shelling out serious coin for yet another half-baked Lonnie “shoot colored shots because points, yay!” coded game. This is not a topper. This is a GI effect and should’ve been on all models (especially LE) since Day 1. You’re not winning over anyone here. Take a hike.

#6340 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah but.....this is a moot point. IF Stern started selling extra game mods and features, (like that might not be a possibility already in the pipeline) then that would be a poor business practice as well. Selling a bare game initially, then adding it back in piecemeal, kinda like what they're doing here....

#6341 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

You missed/negated my point.
The playfield is a LITERAL gameplay feature. An add-on headphone jack, is not.

It's lighting dude... don't over sell it. People just keep moving the goalposts...

So all these practices about 'they didn't tell me' 'they knew...' 'they didn't include it..' are all SOLELY because it's something under the glass. Ok...

#6342 4 years ago

IF it's a good game that people want it will sell.

IF it's NOT a good game that people don't want it won't sell.

All the crybaby contortions don't really matter, do they?

#6343 4 years ago

I’m not in love with stranger things game, it ain’t their best work and it lacks the polish I’ve come to expect from these guys.

But this latest outrage just reminds me how out of touch I clearly am with the emotions of your average pinsider.

If i owned one of these I wouldn’t give a wet fart about it. Just another dumb mod I can live without, and that the next owner of the game can buy if they want to blow the $280.

The playfield turns purple during that one hurry up mode 3 Times a game? I think I can live without that, just like I could live without the $70 demodog plunger handle or the $400 topper or whatever other garbage they are selling because they know you people can’t control yourselves.

Get a grip folks!

#6344 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I'm buying the UV Kit. I think it's a dope idea.

works great in my office, without a kit.

moodlighting02 (resized).jpgmoodlighting02 (resized).jpg
#6345 4 years ago

Lots of games have had UV ink over the years, EATPM, Dr. Dude, WWFRR and they never even offered a light kit for it. Anyone want to get pissed about that?

Stern didn't rip anyone off, they gave everybody UV ink and offered an option to those that want to pay extra for it.

The outrage around here is ridiculous. Don't buy the f'n' thing then.

#6346 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m not in love with stranger things game, it ain’t their best work and it lacks the polish I’ve come to expect from these guys.
But this latest outrage just reminds me how out of touch I clearly am with the emotions of your average pinsider.
If i owned one of these I wouldn’t give a wet fart about it. Just another dumb mod I can live without, and that the next owner of the game can buy if they want to blow the $280.
The playfield turns purple during that one hurry up mode 3 Times a game? I think I can live without that, just like I could live without the $70 demodog plunger handle it the $400 topper or whatever other garbage they are selling because they know you people can’t control yourselves.
Get a grip folks!

You are out of touch in general Crazy even though you are a Stern lover. You don't need to play to the average dummy crowd and as usual, you aren't buying shit. LOL

#6347 4 years ago

That R2 Topper is such a turd.

#6348 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You are out of touch in general Crazy even though you are a Stern lover. You don't need to play to the average dummy crowd and as usual, you aren't buying shit. LOL

Man I’m THIS close to buying a Beatles. Just waiting for that $5000 distributor blow out I keep hearing about.

#6349 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Lots of games have had UV ink over the years, EATPM, Dr. Dude, WWFRR and they never even offered a light kit for it. Anyone want to get pissed about that?
Stern didn't rip anyone off, they gave everybody UV ink and offered an option to those that want to pay extra for it.
The outrage around here is ridiculous. Don't buy the f'n' thing then.

But....then the F ing crybabies wouldn't have anything to cry about!

Broke, no space and yet they spend thousands on shitty plastic mods.

Yep, you guys KNOW it. This isn't about Stern really. Jealous haters is all it can be.

Because like you said, don't F ing buy it if you don't like it.

#6350 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If i owned one of these I wouldn’t give a wet fart about it!

Everyone knows you're too dehydrated to even produce one, so this is an irrelevant statement.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 39.00
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/127?hl=greenhornet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.