IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 144.
#6251 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Uhh.. welcome to 2014 onward -

So why condone this as a buyer? This shouldn't be acceptable and the "I've learned to just deal with it since 2014," attitude doesnt help change it.

On the contrary it encourages the behavior. IMO it not only encourages the behavior but it also stifles the deserved rebellion of the Stern army and other pinball enthusiast.

As someone new to pinball I do not want to see the industry go in this direction so I am 100% against accepting or remaining silent about issues I consider shady and at the cost of an extremely loyal consumer industry.

#6252 4 years ago

If this is how Stern is going to manufacture new games going forward. Prices on old games are about to skyrocket. I just cant believe they actually put dlc practices into a pinball machine.

#6253 4 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I can feel the sting for the LE owners

A whole 3.3% price hike! I'm offended. I'm going to start a podcast. I already forgot about the $25 projector they put in.

#6254 4 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

If this is how Stern is going to manufacture new games going forward. Prices on old games are about to skyrocket. I just cant believe they actually put dlc practices into a pinball machine.

It really takes off once they have internet connectivity in the machines in a few months.

#6255 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

So why condone this as a buyer?

I'm not - I'm stating the facts. Irrational flailing is not a convincing tactic. When people make irrational arguments and use selective memory to support their POV.. its just a floating opinion with nothing to support it but their personal belief. Combating that is not supporting what Stern has done.. it's called smacking someone back to reality and expecting them to work from the truth, not their irrational tantrum.

Quoted from FYMF:

On the contrary it encourages the behavior. IMO it not only encourages the behavior but it also stifles the deserved rebellion of the Stern army and other pinball enthusiast.
As someone new to pinball I do not want to see the industry go in this direction so I am 100% against accepting or remaining silent about issues I consider shady and at the cost of an extremely loyal consumer industry.

Well then you should join the team that stands up about buying NIB games on launch day...crush the FOMO pumpers... or the 'dream theme..' promoters who go on about how they'll pay sight unseen for stuff based on name alone.

Pinside attitudes isn't going to steer anything - It's people with their wallets. And no matter how much some people here pound their fists and kick their feet... they are the same buyers lining up to buy the next Stern before they even played it.

Keeping the discussion grounded in facts isn't supporting Stern - It's standing up to the bullshit that everyone starts repeating that drowns out any real discussion.

#6256 4 years ago

When they were going from one version to pro, pre,le choice and pricing, I said it was a really bad thing.
This is the next bad thing.. we (customers) just end up paying more for the exact same thing we used to get for our money.

Anybody who is ok with this or is even trying to defend it as it's normal/they've been doing it since a long time, is a very strange customer...

Adding everything up like this 'kit', especially overseas start making it very expensive games. They are and will lose more customers like this..

#6257 4 years ago

Stern: Here’s an unfinished untested game with basic bitch code, a ball lock that breaks after one game, and a playfield made of cheese!

Customers: Oh, sweet, take these thousands of dollars, kind sirs!

Stern: Oh, by the way, we also left out this lighting feature so you can buy it later!

Customers: YOU UNETHICAL GREEDY FUCKS!

#6258 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And no matter how much some people here pound their fists and kick their feet... they are the same buyers lining up to buy the next Stern before they even played it.

And THIS right here is the true problem. If I was Stern I would be doing the exact same thing. Why not? What was that PT Barnum quote?

#6259 4 years ago

The cost cutting BS sucks for the designers as well. I'm sure Brian Eddy wasn't happy when he was told that this planned feature wouldn't be making its way into the game at launch. I'm not sure if designers are signed onto multi game contracts or what but some of these guys are going to start getting poached if other companies offer them the ability to put the features that they want to into their games.

#6260 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm not - I'm stating the facts. Irrational flailing is not a convincing tactic. When people make irrational arguments and use selective memory to support their POV.. its just a floating opinion with nothing to support it but their personal belief. Combating that is not supporting what Stern has done.. it's called smacking someone back to reality and expecting them to work from the truth, not their irrational tantrum.

Well then you should join the team that stands up about buying NIB games on launch day...crush the FOMO pumpers... or the 'dream theme..' promoters who go on about how they'll pay sight unseen for stuff based on name alone.
Pinside attitudes isn't going to steer anything - It's people with their wallets. And no matter how much some people here pound their fists and kick their feet... they are the same buyers lining up to buy the next Stern before they even played it.
Keeping the discussion grounded in facts isn't supporting Stern - It's standing up to the bullshit that everyone starts repeating that drowns out any real discussion.

I guess I am just lucky. I purchased my ACNC NIB sight unseen and without playing it just based on the background story of the company alone. I have had 0 issues with over 1,000 plays and personally I love the game.

That being said, I've learned how "lucky," I was to receive a game with no issues or known issues. My friends told me horror stories about receiving games with issues constantly as if it is the norm. - I cant accept this or stand up for this personally. I do not believe this should be the norm or reality as you phrase it.

It is because of my original thought process and subsequent experience that I pre ordered a RaM sight unseen with every option possible.

Maybe to you I seem naive for thinking my 9400 dollar machine should work flawlessly and come with all the bells and whistles attached from day one.

If I purchased RaM and they later offered a topper for coin, I'm in and get it. In fact I ordered the topper for my Alice. - However if I ordered the RaM and later on they came to me and said "Hey FY!," for another 300 dollars we will send you the parts to complete your game," I'd be very jaded.

#6261 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern: Here’s an unfinished untested game with basic bitch code, a ball lock that breaks after one game, and a playfield made of cheese!
Customers: Oh, sweet, take these thousands of dollars, kind sirs!
Stern: Oh, by the way, we also left out this lighting feature so you can buy it later!
Customers: YOU UNETHICAL GREEDY FUCKS!

Spooky Pinball: Thank you for your support, free toppers for everyone!

Stern: MOAR MONIEZ PLEEZE!!!

#6262 4 years ago

Some of you guys are just F ing clueless. Seriously.

You don't get it and never will. LOL

#6263 4 years ago

This new feature should have been standard on all models. It looks awesome, I’d love to have it on my location game, but I’m not gonna pay an additional $279 for a feature that should have been there all along.

#6264 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

That being said, I've learned how "lucky," I was to receive a game with no issues or known issues. My friends told me horror stories about receiving games with issues constantly as if it is the norm. - I cant accept this or stand up for this personally. I do not believe this should be the norm or reality as you phrase it.

Simply put.. proper expectations.

When something is being done a certain way for 5 years.. and someone rolls in midstream and goes "HEY, it should be this way because that's what I think it should be" -- Well, that's their opinion, but they also are ill informed and lack the proper expectations of what they stepped into. They don't have to like it, they can work to change it, but they don't get to redefine what it already is and was before. That's reality. Not everyone has the self awareness that things existed before them.. and likely will exist after them as well.

Quoted from FYMF:

It is because of my original thought process and subsequent experience that I pre ordered a RaM sight unseen with every option possible. Maybe to you I seem naive for thinking my 9400 dollar machine should work flawlessly and come with all the bells and whistles attached from day one.

I won't call you names - but don't expect any sympathy if it doesn't show up in that perfect condition you are expecting. Pinball is a physical thing. It comes with expectations from decades of evolution and experiences. Some people jump into the hobby and think it's going to be some hands-off consumer good that if it's got a scratch I just send it back to Best Buy and get another. That maybe their opinion of what pinball SHOULD be -- but that's not the hobby they got into.. whether they know it or not.

Quoted from FYMF:

If I purchased RaM and they later offered a topper for coin, I'm in and get it. In fact I ordered the topper for my Alice. - However if I ordered the RaM and later on they came to me and said "Hey FY!," for another 300 dollars we will send you the parts to complete your game," I'd be very jaded.

If it's a add-on, or 'completes your game' is a subjective conclusion. One would hope opinions should be weighed with some comparative examples.

#6265 4 years ago

I think most of us envisioned something like this for the GI of the upside down... I was bummed when it wasn't included in the streams. I'm even more bummed at this money grab approach for a feature that should have been included from the start. To quote Wargames: "The only way to win this one is not to play!" I love Stern but this method of sales leaves a bad taste

#6266 4 years ago

This must be the most upsetting thing Stern has ever done to pinsiders.

#6267 4 years ago

If this game was made 5 years ago, the Le and premium would have included this uv feature as well as a moving demogorgon with mouth that opens and shuts as standard. Maybe in a few months Stern will sell an upgraded version of the demogorgon that doesn’t suck so bad as the artichoke vagina.

#6268 4 years ago

I think that addon looks awesome, yet that "upside down" should be better presented by the GI color switching as well and at least the LE buyers should get it for free.

#6269 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Simply put.. proper expectations.
When something is being done a certain way for 5 years.. and someone rolls in midstream and goes "HEY, it should be this way because that's what I think it should be" -- Well, that's their opinion, but they also are ill informed lack the proper expectations of what they stepped into. They don't have to like it, they can work to change it, but they don't get to redefine what it already is and was before. That's reality. Not everyone has the self awareness that things existed before them.. and likely will exist after them as well.

I won't call you names - but don't expect any sympathy if it doesn't show up in that perfect condition you are expecting. Pinball is a physical thing. It comes with expectations from decades of evolution and experiences. Some people jump into the hobby and think it's going to be some hands-off consumer good that if it's got a scratch I just send it back to Best Buy and get another. That maybe their opinion of what pinball SHOULD be -- but that's not the hobby they got into.. whether they know it or not.

If it's a add-on, or 'completes your game' is a subjective conclusion. One would hope opinions should be weighed with some comparative examples.

I appreciate your thorough response and explanation of the history of expectations that preceded me.

That being said, had I known that were the case I would have never pulled the trigger on a NIB machine so I am thankful that I am/was naive (you can call someone a name when they label themselves, you're good.) Or else I would have never ventured into being an owner.

Whether the expectation was set long before me or not, I have experienced games that come 100% together and with no issues and as a consumer I would always push for that same degree of production whether it be a 10K pinball or a 10k jetski for example.

DLC via internet connectivity would have been way easier to swallow for everyone. Selling hardware as an elite secret feature is not a good way to start down the DLC path

#6270 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

DLC via internet connectivity would have been way easier to swallow for everyone. Selling hardware as an elite secret feature is not a good way to start down the DLC path

Oh hell nos... Pinside is gonna lose it's shit when Stern first starts rolling out paid access to anything internet connected or enabled

butts4.jpgbutts4.jpg

Just hope Stern actually delivers some decent media and call out expansion on this title before they turn to monetizing their digital content.... because the current game situation is terrible.

#6271 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the reveal was all playfields have UV ink on them. the disappointment was the fact that stern wants all owners to pay an additional $279 for a UV light kit (which includes a new apron and (8) playfield plastics with UV ink on them. it installs using 2 nut drivers and a screwdriver. the fact that the kit includes a new apron either indicates very poor planning on stern's part or this was part of the plan all along equaling a new low in raping the customer even more (especially the LE buyers
link for kit:
https://shop.sternpinball.com/collections/accessories/products/stranger-things-uv-lighting-kit
it's amazing how disappointing jack danger has become since becoming a stern employee. he's towing the company line so everything is rah! rah! stern now

It's ridiculous. How can Stern charge $9k for an LE that already looks stripped down and then pull this crap? It's BS and is a new low considering Stern also raised their prices with this title.

#6272 4 years ago

What people don't realize is, while pinside may be an island and not deemed a threat, twitter/fb/instagram are. All it takes is the right people saying the right things and it unravels pretty quickly. It's been shown repeatedly. Don't piss on your customer base.

#6273 4 years ago

This is so exciting and sad and entertaining!

F you Stern for doing this!
I don’t think I will ever buy another new stern.
But thanks for the entertainment!

EB0B36C6-B028-40DF-A03B-AE74E4377772 (resized).jpegEB0B36C6-B028-40DF-A03B-AE74E4377772 (resized).jpeg
#6274 4 years ago

Whats the difference from this kit vs someone buying Pinstadium lights to enhance their game? They are just as expensive? If you guys don't like it don't buy it, the game plays just the same without it.... I for one think it looks awesome and will be ordering one. Everyone needs to relax

#6275 4 years ago

Stern defenders like

PTSD Karate Kyle 12022020173049 (resized).jpgPTSD Karate Kyle 12022020173049 (resized).jpg
#6276 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Whats the difference from this kit vs someone buying Pinstadium lights to enhance their game? They are just as expensive? If you guys don't like it don't buy it, the game plays just the same without it.... I for one think it looks awesome and will be ordering one. Everyone needs to relax

The difference is it's a game atmospheric feature that was hidden and built in from the start... And a feature that should have been standard... It's not just a light like the pin stadiums, this is code interactive and specific to the Stranger Things' world unlike any other theme.. It's not about the money, it's about the tactic, principles, and the sales shenanigans. It should have been in the features matrix.

#6277 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Stern defenders like[quoted image]

hahahha. I'm no Stern Defender but I've seen guys drop more on shitty 3d plastic printer toy mods for their games than this. If your spending 9k-12k on a pin this $279 shouldn't really make you come on here and whine about it.

#6278 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

The difference is it's a game atmospheric feature that was hidden and built in from the start... And a feature that should have been standard... It's not just a light like the pin stadiums, this is code interactive and specific to the Stranger Things' world unlike any other theme.. It's not about the money, it's about the tactic, principles, and the sales shenanigans. It should have been in the features matrix.

Exactly which make it even better... It should have been standard because you guys say so? I don't know I'm fine with it, don't like it don't buy it

#6279 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Whats the difference from this kit vs someone buying Pinstadium lights to enhance their game?

Speaking of Pinstadium - they have a UV flasher feature. Bet someone posts how to connect pinstadium to the right place to get this effect.

I'd rather send the money to Pinstadium vs Stern. Yah you don't get the apron and mechanical bits. But it'll light up the playfield in UV

#6280 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Seriously.

Stern Team meeting one morning

Brian Eddy: "Upside down mode should have a great effect, as in the show it was a completely different world. So I came up with this idea of doing UV effects, shouldn't add more than $30 worth of additional parts. It's needed"

Stern CFO: "Can the game function without this feature?"

Brian Eddy: "Well, technically yes.. but"

Stern Executive: "There we have it. Sounds like a great feature that can be purchased later"

Brian Eddy: "But Upside down mode will literally suck and not have any visible differences without it"

Stern CFO: "Brian. It is a great feature and when people see it, they will pay us $300 after shipping once they realize it should have been there from the get go"

Brian Eddy: "Alright then, I have another idea..."

Stern Executive: "Mr. Eddy, the total bill of materials has already exceeded $850. We no longer have financial ability to implement anything else unless it's after sale"

Lonnie: "derp"

Matt Damon: "Matt Damon"

#6281 4 years ago

Welcome to why stern never released the interactive proton streams for ghostbusters despite people wanting it.

#6282 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Exactly which make it even better... It should have been standard because you guys say so? I don't know I'm fine with it, don't like it don't buy it

No, because it's the start of what happened in video games...ie loot boxes etc.. This hurt companies like EA and Activision big time. I have no problem paying for features... Just don't include something then say surprise.. You want more, pay up... What if you bought a car and then your dealer emailed you and said.. Pay us extra, and we'll turn on your dashboard lights?...

#6283 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

hahahha. I'm no Stern Defender but I've seen guys drop more on shitty 3d plastic printer toy mods for their games than this. If your spending 9k-12k on a pin this $279 shouldn't really make you come on here and whine about it.

People were saying that when the games were $5k - $6k tops. Now at $9k people are expecting more. This nickel and dime crap has gotten out of hand at these prices.

A lot of people are upset as this is a feature that partially physically exists on all game models but can't be utilized without spending nearly $300 more.

#6284 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

This new feature should have been standard on all models. It looks awesome, I’d love to have it on my location game, but I’m not gonna pay an additional $279 for a feature that should have been there all along.

Standard at least for the LE version at least - I could understand Stern pulling the feature for the lower models for cost reasons.

#6285 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

No, because it's the start of what happened in video games...ie loot boxes etc.. This hurt companies like EA and Activision big time. I have no problem paying for features... Just don't include something then say surprise.. You want more, pay up... What if you bought a car and then your dealer emailed you and said.. Pay us extra, and we'll turn on your dashboard lights?...

not the same at all... the game works fine as it is, you want UV lights you need to add them. Its UV ink on the playfield. Whats the difference than leaving off side decal art, Toppers, etc etc We all pay for these things after the fact, just because they used UV inks on the playfield? I don't know I just don't get the big uproar

#6286 4 years ago
Quoted from AttackFromPhilly:

The cost cutting BS sucks for the designers as well. I'm sure Brian Eddy wasn't happy when he was told that this planned feature wouldn't be making its way into the game at launch. I'm not sure if designers are signed onto multi game contracts or what but some of these guys are going to start getting poached if other companies offer them the ability to put the features that they want to into their games.

Did you see the gleaming smile on Brian’s face when the stream started? He looked pretty damn happy to me. I own an LE and I’m def a bit salty about this move.

#6287 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

not the same at all... the game works fine as it is, you want UV lights you need to add them. Its UV ink on the playfield. Whats the difference than leaving off side decal art, Toppers, etc etc We all pay for these things after the fact, just because they used UV inks on the playfield? I don't know I just don't get the big uproar

Because the UV ink makes this game, the upside down is stranger things... No other game out there compared to the atmospheric usage. I bought an interactive Shooter rod for my JP, why, cause I knew about it and it enhanced the game... They chose to take a different marketing approach here... I just don't want pinball to turn intoa DLC loot box

#6288 4 years ago

Inside rumor is that TMNT Pro is coming with 3 ramps like SM and ST. Sources say the 3rd ramp will require you to buy the "3rd flipper kit" to unlock the ramp shot. Joke? Yes. But did you think there was a sliver of truth to this? If yes, f*** this company. They deserve all the shit they're getting.

#6289 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Flip side of the coin... If 279 dollars is no big deal then why isnt Stern the giant corporation just shipping them to cover for their supply issue?

#6290 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Because the UV ink makes this game, the upside down is stranger things... No other game out there compared to the atmospheric usage. I bought an interactive Shooter rod for my JP, why, cause I knew about it and it enhanced the game... They chose to take a different marketing approach here... I just don't want pinball to turn intoa DLC loot box

Its kinda the exact same thing, it enhances the game = worth it. Would it have been great for it to be included? Of course. This isn't really DLC content either, they thought ahead and used UV ink. If some modder came up with this after the fact all you guys would be praising it and shelling out your loot.

#6291 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Stern Executive: "Mr. Eddy, the total bill of materials has already exceeded $850. We no longer have financial ability to implement anything else unless it's after sale"

Lonnie: "derp"

Matt Damon: "Matt Damon"

#6292 4 years ago

At least is should hide the dimples.

Wait.....maybe it will enhance them.

#6293 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Its kinda the exact same thing, it enhances the game = worth it. Would it have been great for it to be included? Of course. This isn't really DLC content either, they thought ahead and used UV ink. If some modder came up with this after the fact all you guys would be praising it and shelling out your loot.

A modder can't install UV ink, this isn't a mod, it's a hidden feature... Big difference

#6294 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It really takes off once they have internet connectivity in the machines in a few months.

ohh ... can I guess?

"Please enter your stern.com login and password : ______"

*bzzzt*

"You're stern account does not have an online subscription.

Please choose from the following subscription options

Stern Online Basic : $9.99 per month. On screen update notifications. Manually triggered updates.
Stern Online Standard : $15.99 per month. 1 automatic after hours code update per machine. Access to leader board for 1 machine."
Stern Online Premium : $29.99 per month. Unlimited code updates. Access to all leader boards. Hidden LE code unlocks"

Quoted from Coz:

As it was hidden in the game and was always intended it should have been a "check for a FREE thank you surprise at your distributor!" for atleast LE/premium owners.

#6295 4 years ago

This is one of those things where if you bought the game it’s cool, but if you didn’t buy the game you’re really glad you didn’t.

#6296 4 years ago

We got our first "UV DLC CARGUMENT". LOL

#6297 4 years ago

So I went through the video frame by frame....and look what I found hidden in the UV ink....
IMG_7797 $ (resized).jpgIMG_7797 $ (resized).jpg

#6298 4 years ago

And another one.....

IMG_7797fu2 (resized).jpgIMG_7797fu2 (resized).jpg
#6299 4 years ago

What I’m really curious about because quite frankly I have no idea, but would doing this to a playfield cost more than a general playfield and if so how much cost would that be to manufacture? Because this would literally mean every Stranger Things buyer has purchased a product with a hidden feature baked into the BOM that’s not even accessible without spending additional money on top of the purchase price.

#6300 4 years ago

After kicking ass on two of the greatest fun games ever tonight and still UPDATING.....

Yes that's JPLE and ElviraLE. LOL . Seriously, several thousand people get it but.....

You dopes figure it out because I'm LMAO

Where are the crybaby pictures?

This is just another great game and the handful of numb nuts will never figure it out!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 39.00
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/126 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.