IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 119 of 144.
#5901 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pinside is FILLED with “podcaster shills” these days who just parrot what they hear and think we won’t notice their brilliant thoughts are just second-hand regurgitation of what someone else said on line. It’s like someone who quotes a Simpsons joke and thinks the rest of us aren’t gonna realize we know they didn’t come up with it.
Even D-list pinball podcasters are doing it now. Remember that nobody who kept calling us “pinside babies” here because we said his material sucked?

You seem bitter.

#5903 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

No special setup. It’s a bit shallow at around 6.6-6.7 Degrees and level side to side.
Just need to get the demo shot figured out and the magnet lock to be lore consistent and I’ll be a pig in shit. I’m seriously BLOWN away by this sound package.

Just getting caught up on stream Chuck, missed it live. Fantastic job. Thanks for doing that.

#5904 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You seem German.

Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpgIce-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
#5905 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You seem German.

Don't let your bitterness deceive you!

#5906 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pinside is FILLED with “podcaster shills” these days who just parrot what they hear and think we won’t notice their brilliant thoughts are just second-hand regurgitation of what someone else said on line. It’s like someone who quotes a Simpsons joke and thinks the rest of us aren’t gonna realize we know they didn’t come up with it.
Even D-list pinball podcasters are doing it now. Remember that nobody who kept calling us “pinside babies” here because we said his material sucked?

It’s a reflection of what happens with main stream media too. People just parrot what they hear over and over as much as possible. Can’t think for themselves, they just wait for the next thing they’re supposed to repeat. I’m a fan of many of the podcasts - this isn’t their fault, it’s the fault of the parrots. :p

#5907 4 years ago

I feel a bit sorry for this coder chap Lonnie.
Quite a few people seem to be giving him grief for being not up to the task yet - all quick to defend and buy Stranger Things? Then saying how great it will be once the code matures?
Make your bloody mind up already
I think some of his stuff is awesome - Kiss - wow

#5908 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Quite a few people seem to be giving him grief for being not up to the task yet - all quick to defend and buy Stranger Things? Then saying how great it will be once the code matures?
Make your bloody mind up already
I think some of his stuff is awesome - Kiss - wow

Lonnie is NEVER up to the task in the modern Stern era from what I've seen. The pins he's been the lead coder on that end up being good or even polished are because someone else came in and helped up fix his boring "good enough" or outright mess later.

#5909 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

It's not just the chap Lonnie. It's a collaboration of Eddy, Mike Vinikour and Lonnie on the ruleset to bring it all together.

#5910 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

No, it isn't awesome...that is one of the main complaints.

+1
The mechs on Metallica are awesome.
The STh fandango is hilarious.....
I can just imagine the guys at the vendor factory pissing themselves laughing when they were pulling them out the mold
It’s a bit like when you get a bad tattoo. My friend showed me his new Lion tattoo, but I immediately pointed out it actually looked like Chewbacca. Now he also sees the Wookiee..... same thing here......if you catch my drift. The brain is programmed, I see no big bad Demogorgan just a rubber twat that doesn’t like balls

#5911 4 years ago

So if calling people haters or trolls doesn’t silence the Stern critics start calling them parrots?
I hear podcasters talk about what they read on Pinside all the time. Maybe they are the parrots?
DEF24690-222C-4B1C-8D9F-CDF7A57D1AA5 (resized).pngDEF24690-222C-4B1C-8D9F-CDF7A57D1AA5 (resized).png

#5912 4 years ago

I see the rants in this thread and that makes me sad. People tumbling over each other to prove a point. Whether you like the game or dislike the game, keep it civil please.

And so many opinions but so little reviews are being posted? Come on people, put your positive / negative energy in a rating / review but keep it nice and objective.

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/stern-stranger-things-pro/ratings

#5913 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pinside is FILLED with “podcaster shills” these days

Well, if anyone could spot a shill it would be you. #sternknobslobber.

#5914 4 years ago
Screenshot_20200203-091614_YouTube (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200203-091614_YouTube (resized).jpg
#5915 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob-T-800:

[quoted image]

Awww man, I had no clue Adrian A wasnt happy. This certainly changes my perspective on things.

#5916 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Awww man, I had no clue Adrian A wasnt happy. This certainly changes my perspective on things.

I’m gonna have to see Adrian A’s complaints in podcast or Vlog form until I’m convinced!

#5917 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m gonna have to see Adrian A’s complaints in podcast or Vlog form until I’m convinced!

spit out coffee.gifspit out coffee.gif
#5918 4 years ago
Quoted from foobeer:

[quoted image]

Lmao

#5919 4 years ago

Ive decided to give the game a chance and im gonna see if it really sucks. I just hope the game is more fun than it looks.

#5920 4 years ago

There is undeniable evidence that the game does have quality issues tho. I hope stern fixes this

#5921 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

Alright guys... let me say this. This is the my first NIB LE and I was nervous. BUT.. I tweaked my game, found that the issues I had were minimal (Ball stuck in shooter lane —- so i bend the metal out and it shoots fine ...... Demigorgan gate was sticking —— it fell out of its mount and I put it back in place) NO BIG DEAL
I need another day of game time to finalize my thoughts, but as of now I put over 50 games on it yesterday and I absolutely love it. I won’t elaborate on the million posts about code and call outs because everyone else has done it...It will all come in time and will only excite me more every time Stern announces an update.
But this is what I instantly noticed about THIS game over the last two days when I had friends over to play..... I purposely invited people over that know pinball and others that don’t know pinball. The ones who don’t care about pinball were fascinated with Stranger Things and that’s all they wanted to play.. THEN, they called me yesterday and asked if they could come over again to play some more. This time they played it again and everything else I own and loved it. When they left... they became new fans of pinball in general... Now THAT my friends is what I love to see. This is the best age for pinball right now, and it’s only going to get better. This game is a blast and the LE package is stunning. I do not have buyers remorse. If you’re on the fence...Go get a Premium. You won’t regret it.

After reading your experience im gonna give it a shot. I mean i was worried about all the issues but i love stranger things.

#5922 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ll be streaming my LE at noon eastern today. You can see for yourself then!

www.twitch.tv/SDTMpinball

Come hangout! I’ll do my best to answer any questions anyone might have about the game.

I enjoyed watching this. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

#5923 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

I hear podcasters talk about what they read on Pinside all the time. Maybe they are the parrots?
[quoted image]

Mind. Blown.

You may be onto something...

#5924 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Mind. Blown.
You may be onto something...

3E52F71A-94D3-4D01-96DB-AF1C6350EE6E (resized).png3E52F71A-94D3-4D01-96DB-AF1C6350EE6E (resized).png
#5925 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob-T-800:

After reading your experience im gonna give it a shot. I mean i was worried about all the issues but i love stranger things.

Its worth a play. You may hate it, you may love it, but at least itll be your choice. The mob mentality is just comical though, especially coming from people who have never even played this game. There are reasons more than 1 pinball machine exists. Code wise there are things that infuriate me, but Brian Eddy has already stated on a stream he envisions the change I want to see, such as allowing damage kills to the demo, etc.

It just seems pointless to shit on things others may enjoy, and then rehash it, over, and over, and over again. Lots of options out there, and stern isnt forcing anyone to like any one game.

#5926 4 years ago

First update after purchase, Jan. 13 build date. Received it two days later. I feel bad for my other four pins as they get little to no love. Game play is addictive. However, you’ve gotta be a little bit of a pinball mechanic to own this one. For example, had Demo out four times. Took ramps off to work on raising, but the trick was replacing 1/4” spacers under Demo with a small washer to lower him. Still a tough shot, but makable. Waiting for new ramp from Stern. Sound is very cool scary and a sub and shaker are a must have. I had to get over the bias against plastic ramps and in lanes because it limits potential enjoyment options, I.e., less pins to choose from. I could not be happier with the smoothness of these plastic lanes. Btw: I have a metal ramp and wire forms from LOTR getting brass plating work done as they don’t last either. (Notice to other folks posting their ratings: these are commercial machines. Operators know how to make these complex machines work better. Don’t shit on these fantastic cutting edge products because you are incompetent either mechanically or electronically as they were not intended for home use. Plus they are not museum pieces, enjoy the patina a metal ball makes on a wood surface. Patina is good, it shows you lived a little.)

#5927 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotman:

First update after purchase, Jan. 13 build date. Received it two days later. I feel bad for my other four pins as they get little to no love. Game play is addictive. However, you’ve gotta be a little bit of a pinball mechanic to own this one. For example, had Demo out four times. Took ramps off to work on raising, but the trick was replacing 1/4” spacers under Demo with a small washer to lower him. Still a tough shot, but makable. Waiting for new ramp from Stern. Sound is very cool scary and a sub and shaker are a must have. I had to get over the bias against plastic ramps and in lanes because it limits potential enjoyment options, I.e., less pins to choose from. I could not be happier with the smoothness of these plastic lanes. Btw: I have a metal ramp and wire forms from LOTR getting brass plating work done as they don’t last either. (Notice to other folks posting their ratings: these are commercial machines. Operators know how to make these complex machines work better. Don’t shit on these fantastic cutting edge products because you are incompetent either mechanically or electronically as they were not intended for home use. Plus they are not museum pieces, enjoy the patina a metal ball makes on a wood surface. Patina is good, it shows you lived a little.)

Great selling point. You have to be a little bit of a mechanic to own game. Adjust Demogorgon, remove ramps, wait for a new ramp...

65E34B8D-C39E-4AB3-B43E-53EC17148723 (resized).png65E34B8D-C39E-4AB3-B43E-53EC17148723 (resized).png
#5928 4 years ago

i would buy one of these but not new. i guess a pro is gonna fetch 4500, le 6500, pre 6000 on secondary market. thats too big a loss to take for me to buy NIB.

#5929 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Brian Eddy has already stated on a stream he envisions the change I want to see, such as allowing damage kills to the demo, etc.

I read this as ball hits to the demo would register in the future.... Wouldn’t this require adding a switch??

#5930 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

I read this as ball hits to the demo would register in the future.... Wouldn’t this require adding a switch??

Quoted from Lounge:

It already does this. You hit the Demo, he rocks back, you get a sound and light show. You just can't kill the Demo this way.

#5931 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotman:

You said some good stuff there, but these days pins are meant for home use. Obviously, their original intent wasn't for home use, but that tide shifted probably 20 years ago.

I think the home market is around 75% of Stern's business in the U.S,...around 50% in Europe. I think that's what Gary said last time I heard him speak.

Brian Eddy on the stream mentioned the home market many times, and how he wanted to make a game with a lot of staying power in the home.

#5932 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

It already does this. You hit the Demo, he rocks back, you get a sound and light show. You just can't kill the Demo this way.

Exactly, the bastard screams when you hit him, so its detecting something.

#5933 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Brian Eddy on the stream mentioned the home market many times, and how he wanted to make a game with a lot of staying power in the home.

Oh well, better luck next time. Hint: if you want a game to have staying power, make the main toy actually move. Start with an artichoke vag that actually opens and closes or at least moves from side to side. Why can JP2 get a T-Rex that does it, but Stranger Things can’t?

#5934 4 years ago

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Eddy had a MM castle level interactive demigorgon toy in mind before Gary walked by and said to scrap it and go with the static artichoke vag. “It will save the investors $30.”

#5935 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Eddy had a MM castle level interactive demigorgon toy in mind before Gary walked by and said to scrap it and go with the static artichoke vag. “It will save the investors $30.”

https://images.app.goo.gl/YWG9okquW21sysj3A

Stern should contacted this guy for ideas...

#5936 4 years ago

Man how sick would that have been if the ramp opened up, you see the Demo head and then it opens up like that ?! THAT is how it should have been done.

#5937 4 years ago

Have been enjoying STh on location and recently got a high score. In one multiball I earned so many jackpots, the ramp came down for a super jackpot shot into the Demogorgon.

B7540CCB-7325-44B1-A2CB-51CB1ACDB8BF.jpegB7540CCB-7325-44B1-A2CB-51CB1ACDB8BF.jpeg
#5938 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Have been enjoying STh on location and recently got a high score. In one multiball I earned so many jackpots, the ramp came down for a super jackpot shot into the Demogorgon.[quoted image]

That's called the Snagglepuss shot.

#5939 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Man how sick would that have been if the ramp opened up, you see the Demo head and then it opens up like that ?! THAT is how it should have been done.

And raise the BOM $20-$30? Nah. Stern would go out of business.

#5940 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotman:

If i buy one i would either get it second hand or hope they worked the bugs out down the road in production Thats a lot of money for something that you then have to fix yourself.

#5941 4 years ago

I got my LE tonight. The box looked good.

I think it must have left the factory this way. Not sure with how it was packed that this could happen in shipping.

The metal bracket on the shooter assembly was broken in pieces, and it must have been pushed in and bent the auto plunger assembly as well.

The auto plunger assembly is bent up.

Does anyone know if the auto plunger assembly is a standard part on most Stern games? Thinking about swapping it out with another game I'm not playing as much until a replacement can come in.
386A4FE3-036B-4442-994B-1A00FB7CABAE (resized).jpeg386A4FE3-036B-4442-994B-1A00FB7CABAE (resized).jpeg426EDAD5-C845-487C-85F3-5E7E05D2549E (resized).jpeg426EDAD5-C845-487C-85F3-5E7E05D2549E (resized).jpegC0870EA5-B897-4B5B-AB26-6F1F09D32C21 (resized).jpegC0870EA5-B897-4B5B-AB26-6F1F09D32C21 (resized).jpeg347DE6F4-9D31-43C3-BEB8-8629891A2415 (resized).jpeg347DE6F4-9D31-43C3-BEB8-8629891A2415 (resized).jpegE93B964B-4226-4C84-9638-12A53D3FD920 (resized).jpegE93B964B-4226-4C84-9638-12A53D3FD920 (resized).jpeg5F1E6B6A-BA7E-4C7C-988D-177206905E39 (resized).jpeg5F1E6B6A-BA7E-4C7C-988D-177206905E39 (resized).jpeg

D3950FDA-3D40-4E0B-918D-3AA8E62744C9 (resized).jpegD3950FDA-3D40-4E0B-918D-3AA8E62744C9 (resized).jpeg
#5942 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I got my LE tonight. The box looked good.
I think it must have left the factory this way. Not sure with how it was packed that this could happen in shipping.
The metal bracket on the shooter assembly was broken in pieces, and it must have been pushed in and bent the auto plunger assembly as well.
The auto plunger assembly is bent up.
Does anyone know if the auto plunger assembly is a standard part on most Stern games? Thinking about swapping it out with another game I'm not playing as much until a replacement can come in.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks like something was stacked on the box by the freight company and the shooter rod/assembly took all of the weight...I'd check the cabinet corners and seams for cracking too just to be sure. Did you get pics of the box before and after opening? I would get in touch with your distributor as soon as possible as insurance claims for shipping are very short timeframes

#5943 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

That looks like something was stacked on the box by the freight company and the shooter rod/assembly took all of the weight...I'd check the cabinet corners and seams for cracking too just to be sure. Did you get pics of the box before and after opening? I would get in touch with your distributor as soon as possible as insurance claims for shipping are very short timeframes

You might be right.

Yeah, I talked to my distro right away. Box looked good. I went to the dock to pick it up. I took a picture of the box at the dock.

#5944 4 years ago

Mmm aren’t they likely to say that whatever happened to it happened while you transported it home, particularly if the box was externally unmarked?

Perhaps unrealistic but it might have been an idea to open it up and check it over at the dock, as that’s where the responsibility of the shipping company ended if you collected it.

#5945 4 years ago

Good deal, hope it works out.

#5946 4 years ago

Sure, I guess they could say that. It was Fed Ex Freight...I've never got a game from them before. I didn't know Stern used them.

This was the box at the dock. I saw the top of the box looked a tad disturbed, so I actually did open the top and look.

I didn't see anything out of the ordinary though.

The way the game are packed the damage was hid behind the zip tied instructions and keys on the shooter knob. There was a 2nd zip tie right at the base of the shooter knob against the bracket that kind of held things in place. I didn't notice the damage until I cut that zip tie.

I'm not worried about it. I'll get it squared away one way or the other.

A487F1F8-2144-4B37-A780-2679CAF4C3E8 (resized).jpegA487F1F8-2144-4B37-A780-2679CAF4C3E8 (resized).jpegBCFFB2BB-637D-47BF-A51F-5F804D0FDBBF (resized).jpegBCFFB2BB-637D-47BF-A51F-5F804D0FDBBF (resized).jpeg
#5947 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Sure, I guess they could say that. It was Fed Ex Freight...I've never got a game from them before. I didn't know Stern used them.
This was the box at the dock. I saw the top of the box looked a tad disturbed, so I actually did open the top and look.
I didn't see anything out of the ordinary though.
The way the game are packed the damage was hid behind the zip tied instructions and keys on the shooter knob. There was a 2nd zip tie right at the base of the shooter knob against the bracket that kind of held things in place. I didn't notice the damage until I cut that zip tie.
I'm not worried about it. I'll get it squared away one way or the other.[quoted image][quoted image]

You can tell by looking at the box that something happened to it. Luckily the damaged parts seem to be easily replaced. The only thing I might be concerned about is if the screw holes for the shooter housing are stripped out from the cabinet.

#5948 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

You can tell by looking at the box that something happened to it. Luckily the damaged parts seem to be easily replaced. The only thing I might be concerned about is if the screw holes for the shooter housing are stripped out from the cabinet.

I've had boxes look a lot worse where everything was perfect, and times where the box looked perfect and there were issues. I wasn't going to find this damage unless I set up the whole game at the dock. It was well hidden behind all the stuff Stern attaches to the shooter knob.

There's 5 screws there. The bottom 2 are stripped, but the other 3 are fine. I already swapped out the shooter housing from another game and it's fine.

#5949 4 years ago

I had the chance to play Stranger Things LE on location a few days ago, and aside from the playfield projection (which looks even better in person than expected), it really feels like a step down from the Pro. The telekinesis lock on the left ramp feels extremely junky, since the mechanism seems to reject 50-75% of shots. It reminds me a bit of the Hyperspace loop on Star Wars LE- an unreliable "special" feature that mostly detracts from the game. I'm hoping it's just a setup issue, because the Pro it replaced felt great and I was consistently putting up 200m+ before they took it out.

#5950 4 years ago

Like any premium or LE the game needs tweaked for sure. Once they are dialed though they are usually golden. Just takes time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
$ 18.95
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lewiston, NY
$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 119 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/119?hl=durzel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.