IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 144.
#5801 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Huh. I've owned my POTC for almost a year and have yet to open the back box or lift the playfield. It's been worry free since day one.
Edit. I lied. The left sling hammer did slip past the rubber twice.

Good for you. I bought it twice in one week, an SE and a CE. I have over 20 hours on each one fixing and adjusting. In fact, the SE was built with the upper pf flippers wired backwards.

#5802 4 years ago

Just got the call that my LE is ready for pick up at 4.... BOOM

#5803 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Anyone bothered by the comparatively minimal adjustments needed on Stranger Things would be well advised to steer clear of JJPOTC.

All pins are going to have issues. Comparing a game like JJP’s POTC to a Zizzle is not fair at all.

#5804 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I was playing my MET Premium last night and remembering how I paid $6400 NIB delivered to my door for it.
After all this talk about Stranger Things, I really paid attention to just what my $6400 bought me only a few years ago.
It bought:
1) Bad ass sculpted Sparky toy with some awesome callouts. The detail on it, sitting in the chair is so sick. The effect of him getting electrocuted is so cool and never gets old.
2) The motorized cross that pops up for Master of Puppets multiball.
3) The Hammer. Magnet holds the ball, Hammer slams the ball under the playfield for one of the coolest ball locks in pinball (in my opinion)
4) Motorized snake toy. Shoot the ball into the snakes mouth, which also acts as a ball lock and can spit it back at you
5) Metal ramps. Love those, just the sound of the ball hitting them is great, and of course metal rails.
6) Custom hand drawn artwork on the playfield, translite, and cabinet. No photoshop here.
7) Callouts are great to me - in my opinion - but especially Sparky. So much time went into this.
8 ) The code. It's Lyman. Enough said.
Now, most of us already know about MET and I just sang to the choir. I get it. But compare the two playfields and it becomes abundantly clear- this may be the lowest budget pinball machine Stern has released in years besides games like Whoa Nellie and the Pabst Blue ribbon machines.
The main feature is just a very cheaply made sculpt with a ramp in the middle to hit it. There are no other features other than some plastic ramps. There's just nothing else. A magnet the holds the ball on the Premium? Well, theres 3x magnets on MET.
I am not trashing Stranger Things. I just think this theme could have been so much better if they just had put some more effort into this one, and that truly is a bummer. Especially seeing as how Stranger Things is at least is $1300+ more expensive as well (from what I paid)
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm in agreement with what you are saying for the most part. The thing that really strikes me about this game is how similar it is to another Brian Eddy's game The Shadow. They are both similar in that they don't have a lot of interactive "toys" and it's more about the shots that loop back so you can shoot again. The Shadow "feels" more interactive, to me, because of the player-controlled diverters. So, it's not necessarily a bad thing that it doesn't have a lot of things to break up the flow - assuming you like that. If I read between the lines in your post, I think the lack of features/toys makes the game rather barren and, thus, lacks the "world under the glass" that helps drawn people in. But, again, not everyone cares about that and some just want a good shooting game. Good thing there are options!

Although the BOM on Stranger Things seems reduced, even by Stern standards, it seemed to shoot very nicely. My, biggest issue is/was the code. I played on the initial code (.64?) and it was just so lacking. So, I'm very curious, even excited, to play it again with completed code and, also, to play the premium/le to see how the projector is integrated.

#5805 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I'm in agreement with what you are saying for the most part. The thing that really strikes me about this game is how similar it is to another Brian Eddy's game The Shadow. They are both similar in that they don't have a lot of interactive "toys" and it's more about the shots that loop back so you can shoot again. The Shadow "feels" more interactive, to me, because of the player-controlled diverters. So, it's not necessarily a bad thing that it doesn't have a lot of things to break up the flow - assuming you like that. If I read between the lines in your post, I think the lack of features/toys makes the game rather barren and, thus, lacks the "world under the glass" that helps drawn people in. But, again, not everyone cares about that and some just want a good shooting game. Good thing there are options!
Although the BOM on Stranger Things seems reduced, even by Stern standards, it seemed to shoot very nicely. My, biggest issue is/was the code. I played on the initial code (.64?) and it was just so lacking. So, I'm very curious, even excited, to play it again with completed code and, also, to play the premium/le to see how the projector is integrated.

i hadn't thought about the shadow, but I think you are right. the game feels like a cross between afm and ts. however, the demo shot compares in no way to destroying the saucer and even the upper pf in ts is better than the demo. st has nowhere near the flow as the ts.

#5806 4 years ago

The Shadow has a lot more going for it and is more interactive IMO. Sanctum shot never gets old. Player controlled diverters and whole upper playfield with a bumper that is also player controlled.

#5807 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

All pins are going to have issues. Comparing a game like JJP’s POTC to a Zizzle is not fair at all.

Comparing Stranger Things to a Zizzle is not fair either.

#5808 4 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Is there new code coming out soon for JJPPOTC? and what is the current code#?

How about just make more Pirate games or at the very least make more toppers so us LE owners can own one! Something anything we just need more Pirates in the World. Don't you think?

Speaking of Pirates some announcement came out that Disney is talking to Zac Efron to play Captain Jack! PUKE!!!!!!!!! If that happens I'll throw my POTC into the ocean to see Davy Jones! LOL

#5809 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Comparing Stranger Things to a Zizzle is not fair either.

Ok a packed game to a non packed game. Is that better for you?

#5810 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

Just got the call that my LE is ready for pick up at 4.... BOOM

Shipping Monday!

#5811 4 years ago

Did somebody just say that the shadow doesn’t have interactive toys? Like 2 player controlled diverters, a unique upper battlefield flipper, the sanctum (magnet). Has a 3rd flipper.

Doesn’t sound like a fair comparison to STH does it?

#5812 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Shipping Monday!

Coming home right now. Unboxing pics coming soon!!!

3CFA2AE2-DCD7-481B-9AD8-7708AE55E38A (resized).jpeg3CFA2AE2-DCD7-481B-9AD8-7708AE55E38A (resized).jpeg9DFE498F-09BE-4C8E-A797-E9C7A1479159 (resized).jpeg9DFE498F-09BE-4C8E-A797-E9C7A1479159 (resized).jpeg
#5813 4 years ago

I was able to go and play an ST Pro a couple of days ago in Sydney. I was super excited to finally play one. As a big Brian Eddy fan I was really keen to see what he'd done. However, I came away no longer wanting to order an LE sadly. I played 5 games on it and just found it didn't excite me the way I'd hoped. The Demogorgon shot wasn't too bad. The flow was decent as to be expected from a B.E. game. But it just felt like a lot less was going on compared to say AFM or his other games (the previous comment about The Shadow is probably pretty accurate). Comparatively, right next to it was a Wonka, which I'd also never played and had already made up my mind not to get one based on my lack interest in the theme. I played 2 games on it and it was quite enjoyable and kept my interest, despite the all the creepy vision of a Gene Wilder staring at me from beyond the grave . I guess I'll be saving myself a money this time and just keep enjoying Jurassic. For those of my local fellow pinsiders on the fence or considering placing an order with AMD, I'd highly recommend a visit to check it out. Definitely a wake up call to me again about ordering new releases sight unseen like I did for DP, BK3, and Jurassic (at least that one was no-brainer). I really wanted to love ST, but man it didn't click unfortunately .

#5814 4 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

Got to play this machine the other day. I enjoyed playing it as it is challenging and fast.
This machine however had something that blew my mind for a machine this new.
The ramp was bent pretty badly. Looks like the front edge took a hit somehow.[quoted image]

It looks like all the ramp flaps are cut from pop cans or something.

#5815 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

Coming home right now. Unboxing pics coming soon!!![quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats - Be sure to post in the club thread. I am sure the owners will enjoy the photos and your impressions.

#5816 4 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Did somebody just say that the shadow doesn’t have interactive toys? Like 2 player controlled diverters, a unique upper battlefield flipper, the sanctum (magnet). Has a 3rd flipper.
Doesn’t sound like a fair comparison to STH does it?

I always thought of that "battlefield flipper" as an anlogue version of breakout!

#5817 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob-T-800:

It looks like all the ramp flaps are cut from pop cans or something.

reynoldsramp (resized).jpgreynoldsramp (resized).jpg
#5818 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

My JJP POTC has been PERFECT from DAY ONE! My game also has no chips or pooling. That is a game I would never sell! Incredible game!
Can't wait for Eric's next game GNR!!!!

If you did sell it, would you list it at a cheap price, then complain you have too many PM's, then say you're not spending any extra money to become a pinside plus member (even though this is the website that allows you to speak your nonsense and sell your games to others)..... And in the end you ended up raising the price of the game. Unbelievable.

Just a dick move you did with that TBL sale. Text book definition.

Why don't you go off on explaining that move to us instead of wasting everyone's time about stranger things.

#5819 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

How about just make more Pirate games or at the very least make more toppers so us LE owners can own one! Something anything we just need more Pirates in the World. Don't you think?
Speaking of Pirates some announcement came out that Disney is talking to Zac Efron to play Captain Jack! PUKE!!!!!!!!! If that happens I'll throw my POTC into the ocean to see Davy Jones! LOL

Toppers? Lol. What a joke

Delt, this guy won’t even pay the Pinside fee to sell a game.

Every game he lists sells “outside” so that’s the kind of guy he is

#5820 4 years ago
C60E9513-3E95-4F2E-9D67-3228929B8A0F (resized).jpegC60E9513-3E95-4F2E-9D67-3228929B8A0F (resized).jpeg469B4B01-9D8C-44AA-B83D-820FEDF52007 (resized).jpeg469B4B01-9D8C-44AA-B83D-820FEDF52007 (resized).jpeg83E5304A-3E45-4B8B-A9F1-76CA151414A5 (resized).jpeg83E5304A-3E45-4B8B-A9F1-76CA151414A5 (resized).jpegB8241359-7F58-4169-8741-4B5D3F37496E (resized).jpegB8241359-7F58-4169-8741-4B5D3F37496E (resized).jpeg53779A37-C145-45AE-B578-C49373FF8228 (resized).jpeg53779A37-C145-45AE-B578-C49373FF8228 (resized).jpeg0DA0757B-1073-451D-97A8-2E13D3A5F14D (resized).jpeg0DA0757B-1073-451D-97A8-2E13D3A5F14D (resized).jpeg
#5821 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Whats your thoughts on game-play and the projector?

#5822 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Ok a packed game to a non packed game. Is that better for you?

Have you even played an LE or premium yet? Your feigned sarcasm is smarmy and unnecessary. If you don’t like the game, why continue to bash it. We get it, you don’t like it.

But I have played it and can tell you 99% of the bitching is way off. Projector is bright and clear, game plays fast and smooth, demo is easy to hit. It’s a fun game.

When are the pinside mods going to institute a “no trolling” rule? This continued trolling has caused several that I know to swear off this toxic site and environment, including those in the industry.

#5823 4 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Whats your thoughts on game-play and the projector?

I’m saving my thoughts until I fix the random issues I’m finding throughout the playfield. Here’s an obvious, yet easily remedied issue right out of the box..

BF414882-44D4-482F-B0D9-28E2ADCA8B11 (resized).jpegBF414882-44D4-482F-B0D9-28E2ADCA8B11 (resized).jpeg
#5824 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

I’m saving my thoughts until I fix the random issues I’m finding throughout the playfield. Here’s an obvious, yet easily remedied issue right out of the box..[quoted image]

Call Chas

#5825 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

I’m saving my thoughts until I fix the random issues I’m finding throughout the playfield. Here’s an obvious, yet easily remedied issue right out of the box..[quoted image]

Oversized balls?

#5826 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Oversized balls?

Dear Dr. Pin,

my balls are way too big, what shall I do?

#5827 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Dear Dr. Pin: My balls are way too big, what shall I do?

Wear Duluth Trading men's underwear, of course. No pinch, no stink, no sweat.

#5828 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Have you even played an LE or premium yet? Your feigned sarcasm is smarmy and unnecessary. If you don’t like the game, why continue to bash it. We get it, you don’t like it.
But I have played it and can tell you 99% of the bitching is way off. Projector is bright and clear, game plays fast and smooth, demo is easy to hit. It’s a fun game.
When are the pinside mods going to institute a “no trolling” rule? This continued trolling has caused several that I know to swear off this toxic site and environment, including those in the industry.

Go in the other thread rs812 , you’ll be much happier over there.

#5829 4 years ago

Im really bummed this game is not at all what i hoped it would be and on top of it its having lots of issues. I'm assuming not a lot of testing happened before releasing it. Its just vast empty playfield full of flashing lights, shitty annoying unenthusiastic call outs crappy thin metal ramp flaps that dent worse than a POTC playfield and one toy that can only function if tweaked absolutely perfectly. The premium relies on different art a projector gimmick executed poorly and the same playfield problems as the pro. No thank you

#5830 4 years ago

All that empty playfield could have actually been used for a sub playfield that could have been at an opposite angle ala haunted house but bigger and would have fit the theme very well as it would be the upside down. Major missed opportunity i feel like with this theme. I'd rather have that than the damn flashing lights or projector

#5831 4 years ago

I for the life of me don't understand the level of hate for this game. This game is going to be pretty damn good I think. Sure there are some bugs and some unfortunate things going on with it but it will all get worked out. Some of you folks need to chill out for real.

#5832 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I for the life of me don't understand the level of hate for this game. This game is going to be pretty damn good I think. Sure there are some bugs and some unfortunate things going on with it but it will all get worked out. Some of you folks need to chill out for real.

But Cary Hardy said.....

I actually agree with you. The game is fun and the code is early. The hatred for this game is way overblown and quite bizarre.

#5833 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

But Cary Hardy said.....
I actually agree with you. The game is fun and the code is early. The hatred for this game is way overblown and quite bizarre.

You might say its reception is...upside down.

Ba dum dum. I'll be here all week.

#5834 4 years ago

Ims not saying it because cary hardy said negative things about it. I just find gameplay to be very boring.
The hate for it is because a lot of people feel the theme was wasted in its current form. For the money they expected more. I mean yea the demogorgon is awesome but thats the only toy in the game.

#5835 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

But Cary Hardy said.....

It’s a recurring theme when one or two specific people make a podcast or whatnot, you get this huge flock of sheep that just parrot what they heard and can’t think for themselves. :p

#5836 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob-T-800:

Ims not saying it because cary hardy said negative things about it. I just find gameplay to be very boring.
The hate for it is because a lot of people feel the theme was wasted in its current form. For the money they expected more. I mean yea the demogorgon is awesome but thats the only toy in the game.

Code has made some of the worst games amazing and this game is brand new so give it a chance to mature. I played one and the demogorgan toy didnt even work at all but I still can see potential in this game. I dont think it's going to go down as one of the all time greats but I think it will be a good game.

#5837 4 years ago

I wouldn't use the word "Hate" for this game, but I would use ''disappointing''. We as the enthusiasts more than likely built up this game like it was going to be amazing due to it being a theme that MOST people that watch it - love. Then you add in the Eddy factor, and we know has previous games that are friggin' awesome to play. So, you add those two together and you would EXPECT greatness. Sadly, for the majority of us it didn't live up to the hype. We just need to learn to lower our expectations when a new game is on the rise of release.

#5838 4 years ago

We'll see what happens. I mean the LE's are still available and ive seen numerous people backout of their preorders so thats not a good sign

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Code has made some of the worst games amazing and this game is brand new so give it a chance to mature. I played one and the demogorgan toy didnt even work at all but I still can see potential in this game. I dont think it's goingto go down as one of the all time greats but I think it will be a good game.

#5839 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob-T-800:

We'll see what happens. I mean the LE's are still available and ive seen numerous people backout of their preorders so thats not a good sign

I think sterns playfield issues might play a part in people not rushing out to buy LE's. I hope the playfield issues are behind us.

#5840 4 years ago

How the hell is code gonna fix this. I mean this dude bought a LE and the ball won't even fit through the shooter lane. Unacceptable for almost 10k. Ball lock mech falling apart. Ramp and ramp flaps bent and dented to shit. Its sad

256287d28d3100c861b83fbda0e8ab9849ad181b (resized).jpg256287d28d3100c861b83fbda0e8ab9849ad181b (resized).jpg3153e772fdf6f289c489c5de476267827e4d6780.jpeg (resized).jpg3153e772fdf6f289c489c5de476267827e4d6780.jpeg (resized).jpg51d84edfdf5247ec7903348e1ff28180fb097e5c.jpeg (resized).jpg51d84edfdf5247ec7903348e1ff28180fb097e5c.jpeg (resized).jpg
#5841 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think sterns playfield issues might play a part in people not rushing out to buy LE's. I hope the playfield issues are behind us.

I hope so, stern and JJP seem to have a lot of playfield issues.

#5842 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I agree - the hatred is way overrated. Yes stern cheapened out but what’s new. The gameplay is pretty good and the sound effects are some of the best in years. Voice clips will get better as there is much more in the code per pin browser. It’s going to take time for sure and it was def released way too early but it’s not going to be a mess. The jump ramp toy shot is really fun especially when you get it.

#5843 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

My TMNT had this.

#5844 4 years ago

Since IMDN overall quality is better. My Munsters, JP and Elvira are solid with no pf issues or otherwise

STHLE on the way soon. Looking forward to it. Mike V says a ton more code, video and audio coming.

It’s a fun theme. Not every pin can be a GOAT

$8600 LE btw. Not $10k. $9,999 is close to $10k

#5845 4 years ago

Was a fan of the series but really disappointed in this game. From the artwork to the game layout to the nearly baren playfield.. maybe the video clips are good but I don't watch them while playing so.. seems rushed.

#5846 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob-T-800:

I mean yea the demogorgon is awesome but thats the only toy in the game.

No, it isn't awesome...that is one of the main complaints.

#5847 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

There are people who show up to a thread over, and over, and over, and over, to do nothing but bitch. Lets assume this is the single worst game EVER made, why do that to yourself? Its mind boggling. It's like they think we forgot everything they hate if they don't check in to remind us every 5 mins.

#5848 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

There are people who show up to a thread over, and over, and over, and over, to do nothing but bitch. Lets assume this is the single worst game EVER made, why do that to yourself? Its mind boggling. It's like they think we forgot everything they hate if they don't check in to remind us every 5 mins.

It's kinda like being a Bengals fan and tuning in week after week to watch them get their ass kicked ain't it?

#5849 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Yeah, let's create a safe space for this man, please

#5850 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's kinda like being a Bengals fan and tuning in week after week to watch them get their ass kicked ain't it?

Joe Burrow is the greatest code fix ever.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/117?hl=lamprey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.