IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 144.
#5501 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Lol.
When your other hobby costs you a shit ton more than that it's really not a big deal.
Check out my Instagram @xkpgx you'll see my other hobby haha.. pinball is cheap fun.

Your a multi-millionaire I can see why $1000 is cheap fun to you dude, my 3 year old son LOVED your drag videos and he was clapping watching your 600lt spit flames.

#5502 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Your a multi-millionaire I can see why $1000 is cheap fun to you dude, my 3 year old son LOVED your drag videos and he was clapping watch your 600lt spit flames.

Hahah nice man !!! I love kids who are into cars. That was me when I was younger. I'm a grown kid myself so stuff like cars and pinball just do it for me

We all live short lives and it's all about having fun in the process !!

#5503 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

The pressure fit design is a complete joke and whoever designed it should have a good talking too.

There probably was a talking to. And it went like this: "You designed that as cheaply as possible, right? Attaboy."

#5504 4 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Losing $1100 is cheap fun?!

Ive seen people lose that much in a strip club in one night. Small taters in this big world of yams!

#5505 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ive seen people lose that much in a strip club in one night. Small taters in this big world of yams!

I hope they got small, medium, and large taters for 1100 bucks in a strip club!

#5506 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

I don't know why they don't just make the LE/Premium even more expensive, and include an actually half decent projector. It's not like it would add $hundreds to the BOM, and people buying either version would surely want the best machine they can have, delivered ready to go rather than having to depend on modders to come up with an actually decent solution, and having to mod the pin they've just bought.
It's ridiculous. Mods should augment pins, and be to individual taste. They shouldn't fix shit that shouldn't need fixing from the start.
I don't get the logic of actually setting out to deliver something that is subpar. Shouldn't there be some sort of pride in delivering a Premium/LE pin? Why would you want your big gee whizz bang feature to underperform?
It brings to mind Tron LE - which I coincidentally have. Tron Pro is amazing, but the LE has actual tangible bonuses and it looks and feels like extra effort was put into it. I don't know much the fibre optics cost Stern, but the Eli mod that reproduced it for Pro owners wasn't a cheap or simple addon. What happened to that mindset?

Star Trek LE was the last pin from that mindset. No LE produced since then from Stern has given enough value for the extra $$$ since then, but folks keep buying them, so maybe it's just me.

#5507 4 years ago

Since I wasn’t around when Star Trek LE came out, what does it have that sets itself apart from the more recent LE offerings?

#5508 4 years ago

Received my ST the other day and put it on route.

I was having issues with getting the ball into the demagorgan

I reduced the flipper strength to 200 each and it made a huge difference consistently hit it every time.

Thought i would share if it helps anyone else.

#5509 4 years ago

Just played a pro on location for the first time and thought it was a lot of fun. Most of the shots were quite satisfying and we were able to consistently make the demogorgan shot. The code needs some work, but we know that is still in the works. I look forward to receiving my LE.

The right orbit to the dead end pops wasn’t too exciting, so I hope the pops receive some rules that make them worth shooting for.

#5510 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Since I wasn’t around when Star Trek LE came out, what does it have that sets itself apart from the more recent LE offerings?

Interior and exterior cabinet lighting to produce ship laser effect, laser etched armour (that ties into the cabinet lighting), Star Trek insignia lighted logo on both sides of cabinet head (think its metal too), stainless steel speaker grill, and metallic looking armour (versus a flat color). Pretty much the best LE Stern ever made.

#5511 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

http://pinballstore.tripod.com/star-trek-features.html

Now you get, what, a piece of paper saying how special your game is with some signatures that dont matter.

And for $5K more, you get a finger tip size piece of couch.

Only in this hobby.

#5512 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

http://pinballstore.tripod.com/star-trek-features.html
Now you get, what, a piece of paper saying how special your game is with some signatures that dont matter.
And for $5K more, you get a finger tip size piece of couch.
Only in this hobby.

Haha. Well I went LE simply because I like the powder coat and art the best, So I guess ignorance is bliss.

The nice surprises were the real mirrored Backglass, updated sound system with amplifier (spike 2 sound is finally good sound for a stock pinball machine), and the anti-glare glass. Shaker too I think.

Now I need to find a spot in the basement where this think isn’t covered by other games!

I think LEs are landing next weekend.

#5513 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Interior and exterior cabinet lighting to produce ship laser effect, laser etched armour (that ties into the cabinet lighting), Star Trek insignia lighted logo on both sides of cabinet head (think its metal tool), stainless steel speaker grill, and metallic looking armour (versus a flat color). Pretty much the best LE Stern ever made.

Oh yeah forgot about the wild stuff they did with the cabinet. That was cool.

#5514 4 years ago

I've had an STLE since launch, and it's a beautiful game for sure, but I really like the LE packages Stern has done lately.

- shaker
- invisiglass or whatever Stern calls theirs
- unique inner art blades
- armor
- mirrored backglass
- unique speaker panel
- plaque
- upgraded speakers

I like this configuration because there are tangible items like the shaker, glass, armor, speakers, etc...that help justify the cost difference from the premium, and you also get some LE exclusives like the art, armor, art blades, speaker panel etc...

#5515 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha. Well I went LE simply because I like the powder coat and art the best, So I guess ignorance is bliss.
The nice surprises were the real mirrored Backglass, updated sound system with amplifier (spike 2 sound is finally good sound for a stock pinball machine), and the anti-glare glass. Shaker too I think.
Now I need to find a spot in the basement where this think isn’t covered by other games!

That's fair. I did forget about the back glass. Wasmt there a time all games came with a shaker from them? I genuinely dont remember.

#5516 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

That's fair. I did forget about the back glass. Wasmt there a time all games came with a shaker from them? I genuinely dont remember.

I don’t think so outside of LEs. My GOT and ACDC didn’t have them. I don’t remember playing any sterns with them outside of people adding them.

#5517 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I've had an STLE since launch, and it's a beautiful game for sure, but I really like the LE packages Stern has done lately.
- mirrored backglass

just to be clear, stern hasn't produced a true backglass since STLE. all of these so-called backglasses since are simply a translite glued to a piece of glass

#5518 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

just to be clear, stern hasn't produced a true backglass since STLE. all of these so-called backglasses since are simply a translite glued to a piece of glass

You're right, forgot about that. They should do a true backglass

#5519 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

How do they do the mirroring then? And when they shatter why does the translite shatter too?

#5520 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Anything that makes you happy is worth the money. I own a black and white Munsters and it is “to me” the pride and joy of my collection. Everytime I look at it, it makes me smile. I know many people think its an awful game but that doesn’t change the way that i feel about it any at all. The game was worth every penny that I paid for it.

#5521 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How do they do the mirroring then? And when they shatter why does the translite shatter too?

They're mirrored segments glued on to the glass. It's very cheap. I was surprised the first time I saw it since I was expecting a true mirrored backglass. KISS LE was the first time I saw the new definition of Stern Mirrored backglass in real life. Very disappointing.

#5522 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

I hope they got small, medium, and large taters for 1100 bucks in a strip club!

Maybe even a lap dance with sizzling tots?

#5523 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Lol.
When your other hobby costs you a shit ton more than that it's really not a big deal.
Check out my Instagram @xkpgx you'll see my other hobby haha.. pinball is cheap fun.

Nice cars! Your tire habit probably costs more than your pinball habit!

#5524 4 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Nice cars! Your tire habit probably costs more than your pinball habit!

LOL, definitely. Track days definitely cost a ton in tires and consumables. Thats the thing, I am so used to entertainment costing me a ton of money, its nice to have another hobby that really can provide years of fun with a pinball machine that you can recover so much $$ back from it. The resell value and depreciation curve is better than anything else out there.

#5525 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

STLE is an absolutely gorgeous pin. Congrats!!

So, bad news today on my Stranger Things, the ball is getting stuck after making the Demo shot. It sits behind the demo opening and ball search won’t release it.

What is the general consensus for a fix on this?

#5526 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

STLE is an absolutely gorgeous pin. Congrats!!
So, bad news today on my Stranger Things, the ball is getting stuck after making the Demo shot. It sits behind the demo opening and ball search won’t release it.
What is the general consensus for a fix on this?

Fixing the gate back there or removing it completely. The wire in the gate that is. I think you can leave the bracket in there.

#5527 4 years ago

The demo one way had to be widened on mine. Less than 50 plays and had a ball stuck there. The wire is just not long enough so I spread it apart a bit making sure it still functioned. Since I did that no issues.

I do have one common stuck ball though. In the pops the ball has gotten stuck 4 times today above the right pop. Seems a weak shot up the right orbit will cause the ball to roll in and not trigger the pop. Once the ball search goes it clears it but happening pretty regular. Going to adjust the pops on mine to make them more sensitive.

#5528 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They're mirrored segments glued on to the glass. It's very cheap. I was surprised the first time I saw it since I was expecting a true mirrored backglass. KISS LE was the first time I saw the new definition of Stern Mirrored backglass in real life. Very disappointing.

I don’t think anyone has produced a “true” old school style mirrored backglass in years. The reason is not that they don’t want to. It’s that they can’t because the old mirroring process can’t be done anymore due to environmental rules. That’s the way it was explained to me by an industry insider a few years ago.

#5529 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I don’t think anyone has produced a “true” old school style mirrored backglass in years. The reason is not that they don’t want to. It’s that they can’t because the old mirroring process can’t be done anymore due to environmental rules. That’s the way it was explained to me by an industry insider a few years ago.

Does CPR use the old mirroring process when they make backglasses from translites like TZ, TAF, HS2, etc? I never seen one in person so wasn't sure how those compare to the recent Sterns.

#5530 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Um, I think CPR is doing real mirrored backglasses for GnR, TZ, Addams, HS2, and TONS of others.

"Genuine tempered glass (art converted from the translite) and CUSTOM MIRRORED. This is NOT a translite. It is a mirrored backglass."

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/taf-backglass/
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/tz-backglass/

Jersey Jack WoZ ECLE backglass and Dialed In CE are mirrored, too. Maybe some of the others JJP are, too, I don't remember.

There goes that "but, it's the environment" Stern excuse.

#5531 4 years ago

Got to play a Pro. Hard to get a good game going as the left loop wouldn’t feed to the flipper. It would ricochet off the post and go DTM. I’m sure this a is a set up issue. Otherwise pretty fun game. Anybody have issues with the moving ramp ?

#5532 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Um, I think CPR is doing real mirrored backglasses for GnR, TZ, Addams, HS2, and TONS of others.
"Genuine tempered glass (art converted from the translite) and CUSTOM MIRRORED. This is NOT a translite. It is a mirrored backglass."
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/taf-backglass/
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/tz-backglass/
Jersey Jack WoZ ECLE backglass and Dialed In CE are mirrored, too. Maybe some of the others JJP are, too, I don't remember.
There goes that "but, it's the environment" Stern excuse.

I have purchased a CPR TAF mirrored backglass. It’s nice, but nothing close to the old school mirroring. It’s doesn’t pop the same. The process is different.

#5533 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I purchased a CPR TAF mirrored backglass. It’s nice, but nothing close to the old school mirroring. It’s doesn’t pop the same.

I purchased a CPR SS mirrored backglass. It's very nice, but not like old school mirroring. However, I think that is due to the old backglasses being designed with planned mirror areas from the start, whereas mirrored areas are squeezed into these backglass replacements for the newer translites.

#5534 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I purchased a CPR SS mirrored backglass. It's very nice, but not like old school mirroring. However, I think that is due to the old backglasses being designed with planned mirror areas from the start, whereas mirrored areas are squeezed into these backglass replacements for the newer translites.

Correct. If you look at the photos on the CPR website, only certain areas of the glass are "mirrored".

#5535 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Lol.

Humble much?

#5536 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Humble much?

Guys got money so what? Always seems nice enough on this forum, can’t recall ever seeing any ego from him and what I do remember is he went to bat over the whole GB playfield issue.

Id guess a lot of people likely got replacement playfields because of the noise he made at the time. Now if he doesn’t take my lad for a spin in his 600lt when we visit California this year, then yeah he’s an asshole

#5537 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s Lyman. 100% of his games come out bare to the bone. Maybe they leave it up to each team to roll out software as they please? They give them a timeline of release, then it’s on the team to have their release date code ready then a plan for when the rest will be implemented after release. Not sure. But certainly seems the various teams have their own cadence that they consistently stick to.

Which games of Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness, or Monster Bash are you referring to?

I'll give you that Attack From Mars went to R1.1 due to my disappointment with SoL=50M in tournaments, but the other two games stayed at 1.0 for the duration of the production run and thereafter.

It was only after I asked Ted Estes whether we could release the cumulative fixes (for all games) that had been implemented before the company was about to close that any of the other revisions went past 1.0.

#5538 4 years ago

I’m talking stern games.

#5539 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m talking stern games.

I'm not here to talk anything about Stern. I'm only here to correct inaccurate postings.

#5540 4 years ago
Quoted from sir_tankalot:

I'm not here to talk anything about Stern. I'm only here to correct inaccurate postings.

Haha. Fair enough.

#5541 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha. Fair enough.

Does that mean you are ready to correct your inaccuracy?

#5542 4 years ago

About what? That some of lymans stern games took a while to get to the finish line?

Did i miss something in the development of TWD, MET, B66 and Elvira. Elvira May be still too early to tell.

This is a stern thread talking about stern games. Not sure why anyone would think were talking about games from the 90s.

#5543 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

About what? That some of lymans stern games took a while to get to the finish line?
Did i miss something in the development of TWD, MET, B66 and Elvira. Elvira May be still too early to tell.
This is a stern thread talking about stern games. Not sure why anyone would think were talking about games from the 90s.

Your statement:

"It’s Lyman. 100% of his games come out bare to the bone."

That statement is not accurate.

#5544 4 years ago

Which games of Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness, or Monster Bash are you referring to?
I'll give you that Attack From Mars went to R1.1 due to my disappointment with SoL=50M in tournaments, but the other two games stayed at 1.0 for the duration of the production run and thereafter.
It was only after I asked Ted Estes whether we could release the cumulative fixes (for all games) that had been implemented before the company was about to close that any of the other revisions went past 1.0.

Wtf? 3 posts only.

He’s like the Mystery Lyman Avenger. Mysteriously parachutes into Pinside, corrects mistruths about Lyman and (presumably) disappears as fast as he arrived.

Don’t listen to him chuckwurt . Stand up to him!!!!!

#5545 4 years ago

"It’s Lyman. 100% of his games come out bare to the bone."

Stern games. 100% of stern games. Why I’m I continuing to do this? Haha.

#5546 4 years ago

His initials are LFS...Is it Lyman?

#5547 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

Possibly. If so just wanting to clarify. The Lyman games I’ve had the pleasure of seeing develop are stern games only. That took a while to get to where Lyman wanted them to go. Not a bad thing at all. I enjoyed the ride every time. Simply an observation.

My original point was to say that each dev team seems to have a process that they follow as not all games follow the same code update path. That’s all.

Man.... haha

I meant no disrespect at all. Sorry if it was. I’m unable to edit my original post for clarity because it’s too old.

#5548 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

Yes.

rd

#5549 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stern games. 100% of stern games. Why I’m I continuing to do this? Haha.

You are young and enthusiastic and impressionable. I remember those days (Expo 1991). I will never fault you for that.
Just don't beat me into the ground.

My apologies for the interruption.

#5550 4 years ago

Just don't beat me into the ground.

So sorry it came off that way. Wasn’t my intention at all. TWD still to me is the greatest game ever made. It’s what got me back into pinball and kept me here. Can’t wait to see what’s in store for us in the future from you and everyone else at stern.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
$ 39.00
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/111 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.