IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 109 of 144.
#5401 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

And “u” sound like someone that gets annoyed WAY too easy. @trindawg is typing in a pinball forum, not writing a thesis for his doctorate. Y-O-U really shouldn’t sweat the small stuff in life.

Life is too short to get hung up on how i spell stuff. Sheesh. This guy

#5402 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Life is too short to get hung up on how i spell stuff. Sheesh. This guy

You should have quoted JodyG not me...I got your back dawg!

#5403 4 years ago

Lol. Sorry! Still new to this stuff. I’ll get the hang of it sometime !!

#5404 4 years ago

This is the worst new Stern release thread in the history of Pinside.

#5405 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Maybe once the Prem\LE drops folks will go back to talking about the game and game play!

#5406 4 years ago

The irony, I didn’t enjoy Netflix Stranger Things but I’m loving Pinside version way more

#5407 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Sterns fault.

#5408 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Amazing but true.

#5409 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

If people keep posting in these poor quality Stern release threads, what incentive does Stern have to make these release threads better?

YOU are the problem pinside!!!

#5410 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

You guys sure have short memories.

#5412 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

see ghostbusters and batman 66 also

#5413 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

see ghostbusters and batman 66 also

Also Guardians, Munsters, and Star Wars.

#5414 4 years ago

No way, those threads were hilarious...this one is just sad all around.

#5415 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No way, those threads were hilarious...this one is just sad all around.

Well at least this game takes some of the attention off of my beloved Munsters. Thank God, I thought it would never happen!

#5416 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

LOL, how quickly you forget GB Kpg.

#5417 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That was an all time great thread & classic shitstorm reveal video. I miss those days.

#5418 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Oh I remember it ! That one had some entertainment value though, this one is just bad.

#5419 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Oh I remember it ! That one had some entertainment value though, this one is just bad.

Its your damn fault! NO man should know that much about lumens! Prick!

#5420 4 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

Also Guardians, Munsters, and Star Wars.

Munsters started out pretty good. It wasn’t until people realized the garbage code it was released with was essentially complete, that things went downhill. That and the Toys R Us lower playfield kiddie toy (pachinko ball included) abomination.

#5421 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Munsters started out pretty good. It wasn’t until people realized the garbage code it was released with was essentially complete that things went downhill. That and the Toys R Us lower playfield kiddie toy (pachinko ball included) abomination.

Hate the lower playfield, so boring, but I hate all lower playfields. I actually put money in the pro every time I see it still!

#5422 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Hate the lower playfield, so boring, but I hate all lower playfields. I actually put money in the pro every time I see it still!

Pro is so much better. Too bad Lyman wasn’t on code for it.

#5423 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Black Hole and Haunted House have great lower playfields.

#5424 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Its your damn fault! NO man should know that much about lumens! Prick!

Just sent the check off to pay for my LE - I know I'm gambling with this one, Lonnie on code for one (I promised myself I'd never buy another Lonnie game) the fact the projector will probably not blow me away, and the demogorgan being really the only cool toy on the entire playfield (and that's questionable too)

Well

I was going to list the good things here, but I can't think of any except it's a stranger things theme

Fuck

Well ! I'm crossing my fingers on this hahah ! I'm sure it will be fun, but Stern got me on the theme alone on this one. Well played Gary, well played.

One thing is for sure. I'll give my honest opinion on everything, good or bad, because I don't care if it hurts the value of a machine I own. I'm going to just call it as I see it, good and bad. And ill report everything here of course !

#5425 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I was going to list the good things here, but I can't think of any except it's a stranger things theme
Fuck
Well ! I'm crossing my fingers on this hahah ! I'm sure it will be fun, but Stern got me on the theme alone on this one. Well played Gary, well played.

Saying he could sell a box of lights wasn't just a brag.

#5426 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Just because one has the money to purchase a License / Franchise to produce a Title doesn't mean they should if they are not going to do it justice. Stranger Things is a innovative science fiction story that grabbed a lot of new viewers and offered many great ideas that could have been implemented into a pinball machine.
I was going to wait till I played it but after watching several hours of game play really no need. Wheres the beef? Where are the cool gadgets? I can't get beyond that big blank screen cutting the machine in half, what is it hiding up there? Nothing,really.
The circus colors from too many inserts, I agree with others, it should have had a moody, 70's color scheme.
Any machine that deserved a cool basement/ underground area with tunnels this was it.
Its like Chicago Coin purchasing rights to Tommy/ The Who and putting out a half baked bare playfield that would have been better served by Bally, Gottlieb or Williams.
When I first saw it I thought Stern was jealous of the Rick and Morty sales success and rushed a half-finished prototype on the Market to steal the thunder. This is it?
Good news, through talking about this thing. I apologize if I offended those who love it. Again, it should have been so much more, and would have been if another Manufacturer had acquired rights to build it, they would have cherished the opportunity to build an A List instead of hacking out another run of the mill game. I'm out.
I hope Stern doesn't do Jaws, I couldn't stand to see that dream machine half-assed.

#5427 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Just because one has the money to purchase a License / Franchise to produce a Title doesn't mean they should if they are not going to do it justice. Stranger Things is a innovative science fiction story that grabbed a lot of new viewers and offered many great ideas that could have been implemented into a pinball machine.
I was going to wait till I played it but after watching several hours of game play really no need. Wheres the beef? Where are the cool gadgets? I can't get beyond that big blank screen cutting the machine in half, what is it hiding up there? Nothing,really.
The circus colors from too many inserts, I agree with others, it should have had a moody, 70's color scheme.
Any machine that deserved a cool basement/ underground area with tunnels this was it.
Its like Chicago Coin purchasing rights to Tommy/ The Who and putting out a half baked bare playfield that would have been better served by Bally, Gottlieb or Williams.
When I first saw it I thought Stern was jealous of the Rick and Morty sales success and rushed a half-finished prototype on the Market to steal the thunder. This is it?
Good news, through talking about this thing. I apologize if I offended those who love it. Again, it should have been so much more, and would have been if another Manufacturer had acquired rights to build it, they would have cherished the opportunity to build an A List instead of hacking out another run of the mill game. I'm out.
I hope Stern doesn't do Jaws, I couldn't stand to see that dream machine half-assed.

The game sure shouldv'e had subways. I think Sterns games that doesn't have that feels cheap.

#5428 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Just sent the check off to pay for my LE - I know I'm gambling with this one, Lonnie on code for one (I promised myself I'd never buy another Lonnie game) the fact the projector will probably not blow me away, and the demogorgan being really the only cool toy on the entire playfield (and that's questionable too)
Well
Fuck
One thing is for sure. I'll give my honest opinion on everything, good or bad, because I don't care if it hurts the value of a machine I own. I'm going to just call it as I see it, good and bad. And ill report everything here of course !

This post really encapsulates the absolutely bizarre state of this hobby & its customers. A person who knows he’s probably going to be disappointed, yet makes a $9k purchase with relative dispassion.

#5429 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Black Hole and Haunted House have great lower playfields.

For sure! I also enjoyed Elektra and even though most may not agree... bashing the car on SF2!

#5430 4 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

For sure! I also enjoyed Elektra and even though most may not agree... bashing the car on SF2!

Krull's full scale lower playfield looks awesome, too, but I've never had a hands-on with it. One day....

#5431 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

YOU are the problem pinside!!!

352FF1BB-59C1-418B-8717-D6C6ED901A3A (resized).jpeg352FF1BB-59C1-418B-8717-D6C6ED901A3A (resized).jpeg

#5432 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I feel like threads get filled with these kinds of reviews every time Stern releases a game based on a popular license. Reviews from people who haven't played much if at all, but want to share their disappointment about the layout, art, code, rules, quality, etc. with a dozen other likeminded people that show up in every new game thread to do the same . We saw it with Iron Man, TWD, GoT, BM66, SW, DP, Beatles None of these games were perfect, or the way I imagine they could have been if someone else did them, but all of these games are ones I enjoy enough to have in my collection. Luckily Stern releases a new game every 3-4 months so those that want to complain about a game they don't own, plan to buy or play quickly move on to the next one.

#5433 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I feel like threads get filled with these kinds of reviews every time Stern releases a game based on a popular license. Reviews from people who haven't played much if at all, but want to share their disappointment about the layout, art, code, rules, quality, etc. with a dozen other likeminded people that show up in every new game thread to do the same . We saw it with Iron Man, TWD, GoT, BM66, SW, DP, Beatles None of these games were perfect, or the way I imagine they could have been if someone else did them, but all of these games are ones I enjoy enough to have in my collection. Luckily Stern releases a new game every 3-4 months so those that want to complain about a game they don't own, plan to buy or play quickly move on to the next one.

People can certainly get a “feel” for a game, I remember when Ironman was released it got absolutely hammered, but I remember liking the look of the simple gameplay at the time and the crazy fast gameplay, it was my first Stern and I still have it.

TWD, BM66 and DP all grabbed me and I found myself enjoying the reveals and early gameplay reveals, even BM66 I knew as a fan of the crane from BDK I would enjoy that mech with the 66 theme and Lyman it was a risk I was willing to take. TWD & BM66 certainly matured from absolutely terrible to two of the best Sterns ever, but they still grabbed me on initial reveal, same with Deadpool, on reveal it looked different and fresh and had me hooked, the fact Tanio absolutely smashed the code into a fantastic game is brilliant.

But there’s been plenty of games that haven’t grabbed me GOT, I appreciate it’s a great game it just doesn’t grab me personally (it didn't on reveal) and I’ve played it a lot and it still just doesn’t do anything for me. SW is the same huge Star Wars fan but it just isn’t what I wanted from a SW game, another great game but for me it just doesn’t have “it” for me personally.

I agree these in depth reviews off people who haven’t played the game get old fast, especially when they have given them a dozen times and counting, say it once or twice and move on (but that works both ways, we have the pumpers hyping the game constantly and the haters bagging on the game over and over) but certainly a first impressions feel is ok from people.

Stranger Things was a disappointment for me I’ve only said it once before I think, upon reveal, maybe it will grow on me in time with hands on but at the moment it’s not grabbed me and given me the desire to do so, the demogorgan just doesn’t look fun and the amount of missed opportunities with this theme leave me cold, just my first impressions. Luckily like you said Stern pump out 4+ games a year so there’s hopefully something for everyone, what ticks my boxes won’t tick someone else, but that’s the joy of this hobby so we don’t all end up with the same collection of games as our neighbours.

#5434 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This post really encapsulates the absolutely bizarre state of this hobby & its customers. A person who knows he’s probably going to be disappointed, yet makes a $9k purchase with relative dispassion.

So true. Same thing with reading the Munsters and Star Wars topper threads. Post after post of the toppers not working, not working even after returning and getting another one and/or just being over all sad build quality for the prices charged...yet people read the thread, acknowledge the issues and then say they are buying one anyway. It's classic when theirs shows up in the same condition and they post about it.
stern (resized).JPGstern (resized).JPG

#5435 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Come on bro !!! Lol

It's not really hard to understand to be honest.

The machine is not actually "costing" me $9K. It's actual cost is what the difference will be between it's sale price. Let's say I sell it for $7800 in a few months or less. That's probably on the low end initially. The cost is really only $1100 to me since I'm getting it for $8900 delivered.

For $1100 smackaroos it's totally worth it for me to crack open a brand new machine, my family friends and myself having a good time and testing it out in my house to see if it's a keeper.

Worst case I'm not out much cash at all. I'm ok with that. And that's why I love this "bizarre" hobby because it's the only electronic toy I can get a huge % of my money back if I'm disappointed.

Cheap fun and dumbasses like me help keep Stern in business and the hobby climbing - so embrace don't hate brotha !!!

#5436 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Come on bro !!! Lol
It's not really hard to understand to be honest.
The machine is not actually "costing" me $9K. It's actual cost is what the difference will be between it's sale price. Let's say I sell it for $7800 in a few months or less. That's probably on the low end initially. The cost is really only $1100 to me since I'm getting it for $8900 delivered.
For $1100 smackaroos it's totally worth it for me to crack open a brand new machine, my family friends and myself having a good time and testing it out in my house to see if it's a keeper.
Worst case I'm not out much cash at all. I'm ok with that. And that's why I love this "bizarre" hobby because it's the only electronic toy I can get a huge % of my money back if I'm disappointed.
Cheap fun and dumbasses like me help keep Stern in business and the hobby climbing - so embrace don't hate brotha !!!

Tell that to the Rob Zombie / Thunderbird buyers

#5437 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Lol true dat! You cant even sell one of those turds for any price!

#5438 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Lol !

Well, Stern as a brand has its own market and values, it's a very liquid market and has a great company to support the products in case of issues. We know Stern isn't going out of business any time soon. Thanks to guys like me. Eh-hem.. Rarehero

#5439 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I know I'm gambling with this one, Lonnie on code for one (I promised myself I'd never buy another Lonnie game)

I agree with you here. I owned TFLE and AVLE and both came out with code roadblocks and game play felt like chopping wood. So, I'm skeptical of anything he does.

#5440 4 years ago

Who knows, maybe Stern will blow the cob webs and do a Vault soon to get the line moving

#5441 4 years ago

Some of you Spooky guys have blinders to that company as well. You can still buy Alice Cooper brand new right now. Seems like with a low production and the amazing quality that would not be available. On top of that the operator who bought one here turned it on and it was immediately smoking. Does not sound like great quality control.

#5442 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddict78:

Some of you Spooky guys have blinders to that company as well. You can still buy Alice Cooper brand new right now. Seems like with a low production and the amazing quality that would not be available. On top of that the operator who bought one here turned it on and it was immediately smoking. Does not sound like great quality control.

Hey that smoke was a FEATURE... not a bug.

#5443 4 years ago

This photo shows the projection alignment and focus screens. I was surprised by the large shadow on the right ramp. The projection area on the right ramp is much smaller than the white area available. The ball lock is cool when it works, I'd say at least 75% of the time. I was one of three mediocre players on a premium tonight flipping for an hour. We didn't get multiball even once but we all fed the demogorgon multiple times. We couldn't hit the left ramp reliably, hence the lack of multiball. Overall, I liked the shots and believe it has the potential to be a winner once the code is complete.
20200123_183621~3 (resized).jpg20200123_183621~3 (resized).jpg

#5444 4 years ago
Quoted from balt:

The projection area on the right ramp is much smaller than the white area available.

I'm curious about the right ramp return. There's a white piece of decal on there as well.

#5445 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

That word “hate” is thrown around so much these days merely for having principals and rational critique. The “hobby” has ZERO to do with keeping Stern in business. Pinball machines exist without them. Great ones. It’s not my duty to keep them in business for making sub-par product. It’s their job to woo us. It’s not a charity.

#5446 4 years ago
Quoted from balt:

it has the potential to be a winner once the code is complete.
[quoted image]

It think that the code is almost complete. My son played stranger things and completed the whole game. The only thing that was missing was the wizard mode ( I think). It was just points, not a wizard mode.

#5447 4 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

It think that the code is almost complete. My son played stranger things and completed the whole game. The only thing that was missing was the wizard mode ( I think). It was just points, not a wizard mode.

Not near complete. Creators confirmed that multiple times. Three wizard modes missing ,tons of callouts and polish, upside down incomplete, mode rules, dirty pool, mystery awards, demo modes. Lock bar also hasn’t been implemented yet.

There a lot there, but a lot more to come.

If you compare it to Jurassic park, it’s not even to where that game was when it was launched.

#5448 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not near complete. Creators confirmed that multiple times. Three wizard modes missing ,tons of callouts and polish, upside down incomplete, mode rules, dirty pool, mystery awards, demo modes. Lock bar also hasn’t been implemented yet.
There a lot there, but a lot more to come.

I cannot understand why they release games like this...it's like buying a car but up till now you can only do 30 miles per hour, next month maybe 50 and within a year you'll be able to go 100

#5449 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

I cannot understand why they release games like this...it's like buying a car but up till now you can only do 30 miles per hour, next month maybe 50 and within a year you'll be able to go 100

Its literally nothing like that

#5450 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

No it’s not. This game is plenty fun. Always fun to watch the game evolve. Good or bad.

Everyone hated TWD when it came out. I loved it. Played it countless times as the code evolved. Each time it changed I got to learn a new game essentially.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 109 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/109?hl=billypilgrim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.