• No, I am not interested 439 votes
    36%
  • Maybe, not a huge fan of the franchise but maybe if it plays well 100 votes
    8%
  • I like pizza 200 votes
    16%

(1220 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 725 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DDF9D9C8-FA3E-43C1-B549-BF55CBCB495C (resized).jpeg
3AD2602B-9325-4B6D-A17A-C7009D00CDD3 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200224-104803_Photos (resized).jpg
20200224_015642 (resized).jpg
f4befb643a37a025e03548b99ca25fbb23c66e7d (resized).png
Screenshot_20200219-202600_YouTube (resized).jpg
groundhog day (resized).jpg
IMG_20191218_173431 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191218_173428 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7137 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 143.
#5351 5 months ago
Quoted from kpg:

I'm glad you got it working !
And I'm glad I brought it up. Although a shit ton of people downvoted my post for even suggesting that a mod could have caused this because everyone is so hell bent on blaming Stern.
Either way, I got a ton of shit and downvotes but at the end of the day I'm glad something positive came out of it

Mods can cause issues, not ours of course , but they can if hooked up or manufactured incorrectly. I need to read the manual more closely as I'm not sure how these two are connected. I'm guessing the motor for the shaker and the motor for the ramp are running off 48v, but I think they are driven differently off different node boards. Maybe the shaker was wired backwards? I've seen that before. Or maybe there is an issue with the capacitor that stern has built in to the cabinet node board as that was an issue not long ago.

#5352 5 months ago
Quoted from kpg:

And I'm glad I brought it up. Although a shit ton of people downvoted my post for even suggesting that a mod could have caused this because everyone is so hell bent on blaming Stern.
Either way, I got a ton of shit and downvotes but at the end of the day I'm glad something positive came out of it

Yeah I’m glad u brought it up too. Although I’m still on the fence a little as to being totally convinced it’s back to normal. I just have to keep playing and see. My wife has never got to see the demogorgon mode because of this. So she’ll be happy with that. I’m going to try and call pinball life and see what they say. Maybe I’ll try a stern brand and see what that does. Or maybe not. Idk. Lol.

#5353 5 months ago

trindawg you may be new, but I think we all learned from you persistence certainly pays off. You got us some info that certainly puts my mind at ease.

Also - if it breaks again when your wife plays it’s safe to assume that SHE is the issue.

#5354 5 months ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

trindawg you may be new, but I think we all learned from you persistence certainly pays off. You got us some info that certainly puts my mind at ease.
Also - if it breaks again when your wife plays it’s safe to assume that SHE is the issue.

Thanks man. Glad it helped out. Yeah I don’t give up till I’m satisfied. Now , to try and get a hold of pinball life and see what they can do about this shaker. I tried calling but no one is picking up. Hmm.

#5355 5 months ago

I don't understand why many think you need a shaker motor in every game. There are very very few games that it fits the theme. The extra vibration just adds to a shitstorm of problems. Screws falling off, connectors not working great. And node board connection issues.

you do know you can adjust how much shake you get on a motor right? The farther out the weights are, the more shake you get.

#5356 5 months ago
Quoted from kpg:

Hey Doug, never blamed your kit. I've bought quite a few from you and they've been great.
I was referring the the "operator error" that he had mentioned when installing them - that was my point- what is he referring to as "operator error"? We don't know what that is. Maybe it was from the shaker who knows?
All I was doing was pointing out the coincidence here, not necessarily defending Stern either.. my entire history for years has been calling out Stern lol.
Just let's think about it. New guy to pinball buys new machine. Guy says he plays it for hours no problem. Guy then installs shaker and light kit he said he had a problem installing, and then literally 6 posts down the thread he's having 48V power errors and issues with his game.
How about instead of jumping on the "it's Stern's fault" maybe we can help the guy out and see if what he did wrong that could be blowing the node boards.. one was replaced, and the replacement blows too. Coincidence? maybe.... Could be a short ? I'm not defending Stern here but let's put 2 and 2 together on this one.

KPG, your post looked to me like basic logical troubleshooting. Half the time I'm trying to fix electronics, just the act of getting in there raises the possibility of something else getting messed up.

#5357 5 months ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't understand why many think you need a shaker motor in every game. There are very very few games that it fits the theme. The extra vibration just adds to a shitstorm of problems. Screws falling off, connectors not working great. And node board connection issues.
you do know you can adjust how much shake you get on a motor right? The farther out the weights are, the more shake you get.

Well, in my case , that shaker motor from PL just didn’t want to play nice in my system for whatever reason. So I’m sending it back.

#5358 5 months ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Like most things nowadays spike is a disposable system and has a limited shelf life.

You just described every single digital pinball system, ever designed and mass produced, from 1976-today.

#5359 5 months ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Well like I said. No more mods after all this over with. I’m putting her back to stock tomorrow morning. That’s it

You might want to edit your original post where you lambast Stern for its terrible quality and profess intense regret for buying the machine, and warn others that if they do the same they are probably gonna get stuck with a lemon. There's enough baseless scares being thrown out there to NIB buyers these days without an army of newbies being convinced if they buy Stranger Things their ramp will stop working on the reg.

#5360 5 months ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Thanks man. Glad it helped out. Yeah I don’t give up till I’m satisfied. Now , to try and get a hold of pinball life and see what they can do about this shaker. I tried calling but no one is picking up. Hmm.

What version software you running? Stern uploads software updates and that may the next thing for you to try out. The error message bug fix should come out in the next update and you’ll want to upgrade then too.

#5361 5 months ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So upset that my machine isn’t working out of the box! My firts (and possibly last) NIB purchase. 6k and this thing on it 2nd day in my basement, takes a crap on me. The center ramp won’t come down. So stern sent me a replacement board. Swapped it out. Then 2 hours later, it fails again!! Seriously ??? WTF is going on here stern?? This is ridiculous. I’ve never made such a big purchase on a “toy” and for it to not work out of the box! Really??? Frustrated here.

18 up votes

Quoted from Trindawg:

I just don’t get it. Yes I’m new to the hobby in the aspect of OWNING a machine. But where is the QC on these machines? I just don’t accept it as being status quo, it is what it is, whatever. We spend a lot of HARD EARNED money for these things NOT to work out of the box. To me, as a consumer, it’s unacceptable. Will I ever buy another NIB machine. Doubtful. And if I do, I’ll wait for all the problems to get ironed out first. Just my 2 cents. I know I’ll probly get roasted for my opinions. But oh well. It’s how I feel. I love the game though.

19 up votes

Quoted from Trindawg:

Well. You just never know. It’s just odd that as soon as I added the shaker motor, that’s when my problems started with the ramp. And then I disconnect it totally from the system and it’s back working as normal??? That can’t be coincidence.

1 up vote.

Thats pinside in a nutshell - bash Stern for poor QC and and say you are never buying another NIB and you'll be very popular. Once you discover the problem was due to some after market mod you installed and goes away when you remove it no one cares.

#5362 5 months ago

Well. Here’s another update for you all. After reverting my machine back to stock with 0 mods installed, the center ramp is back to not working again!! So I’m at a total loss here. All I had was the shaker motor and the speaker lights installed. But that doesn’t seem to have made a difference. So. Guess I’ll just wait on my new motor and board and see what happens from there.

#5363 5 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

18 up votes

19 up votes

1 up vote.
Thats pinside in a nutshell - bash Stern for poor QC and and say you are never buying another NIB and you'll be very popular. Once you discover the problem was due to some after market mod you installed and goes away when you remove it no one cares.

HA! first hand look at mob mentality, thats for sure.

#5364 5 months ago
Quoted from valgalder:

We still don't (as far as I know!) have one on location in Chicago, which is really weird.

That has finally just been remedied, got one at Brixies

20200121_000140 (resized).jpg

#5365 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You might want to edit your original post where you lambast Stern for its terrible quality and profess intense regret for buying the machine, and warn others that if they do the same they are probably gonna get stuck with a lemon. There's enough baseless scares being thrown out there to NIB buyers these days without an army of newbies being convinced if they buy Stranger Things their ramp will stop working on the reg.

I don’t recall ever saying not to buy one because u might get a lemon. Can u screen grab that and show me that I said that?

#5366 5 months ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

I don’t recall ever saying not to buy one because u might get a lemon. Can u screen grab that and show me that I said that?

You said the QC was horrible, they don't know what they are doing, your $6000 toy purchase is turning out to be a disaster, your wife is pissed, and you may have made a terrible mistake in buying a NIB pinball machine. All because of an issue that was YOUR fault, not Stern's, because you are a total newbie who is unable to install mods without breaking your pinball machine.

I'm paraphrasing here but that was the gist of it - that Stern ruined your life and stole $6,000 from you. You don't think maybe you could at least clean up that original post to indicate the problem was in fact because you put 3rd party aftermarket mods in the game and not because Stern is worse than Hitler?

I'd probably put an edit in that original post, but that's just me.

#5367 5 months ago

Don't worry about Levi, he is one of the resident trolls and needs to be fed every 2 hours here on the forum

#5368 5 months ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Don't worry about Levi, he is one of the resident trolls and needs to be fed every 2 hours here on the forum

Christ what is it with you? You Troll ALL THE TIME, it's the only reason you are even in this thread. When you are so witless your best burn is to call people trolls, you should reconsider your pinside efforts and whether or not you have more to offer us.

The day I can't come up with a better rebuttal than "you are a troll!!!!" is the day I retire from here. Be best, Dergoetz!

#5369 5 months ago

I don't have a dog in this fight, but god damn it is annoying reading "u" all the time from Trindawg. Literally two extra keystrokes standing between sounding like a mature adult, and sounding like a guest on the Jerry Springer show.

#5370 5 months ago

Hey Levi , I just posted an update about the mods. I removed them from my system totally and the ramp is still malfunctioning. So. Yeah.

#5371 5 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but god damn it is annoying reading "u" all the time from Trindawg. Literally two extra keystrokes standing between sounding like a mature adult, and sounding like a guest on the Jerry Springer show.

Wow. Seems like I can’t do anything right by Y-O-U all on this forum. I will try harder.

#5372 5 months ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Hey Levi , I just posted an update about the mods. I removed them from my system totally and the ramp is still malfunctioning. So. Yeah.

Well we remain eager to help. Have you replaced the broken parts since you removed all of the mods?

#5373 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You said the QC was horrible, they don't know what they are doing, your $6000 toy purchase is turning out to be a disaster, your wife is pissed, and you may have made a terrible mistake in buying a NIB pinball machine. All because of an issue that was YOUR fault, not Stern's.
I'm paraphrasing here but that was the gist of it. You don't think maybe you could at least clean up that original post to indicate the problem was in fact because you put 3rd party aftermarket mods in the game and not because Stern is worse than Hitler?
I'd probably put an edit in that original post, but that's just me.

Well it seems like it may not have been the mods at all Levi. I removed them completely and it’s still having the same issue. So what’re your thoughts now ?

#5374 5 months ago

So hostile in here.

#5375 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well we remain eager to help. Have you replaced the broken parts since you removed all of the mods?

Not yet. I’m waiting on the shipment from stern. They’re sending me a new motor and node board. Hopefully be here tomorrow.

#5376 5 months ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Well it seems like it may not have been the mods at all Levi. I removed them completely and it’s still having the same issue. So what’re your thoughts now ?

My thoughts are that you may have damaged the boards with your mods.

My thoughts are also that you are always thinking about 4 steps ahead on this issue, and just have to be a little more patient.

My thoughts are install the new stuff stern is sending you, without the mods, and see what happens, and go from there.

My final thought is you should look into returning the game and getting your money back, or at least look into it, so you have a possible out if this nagging problem doesn't go away. At the very least see if your distributor or stern will consider a machine swap. If the new boards don't fix it I think all parties involved would be amenable to this option. Nobody else has described this issue so it's entirely possibly you were the unlucky recipient of a lemon.

#5377 5 months ago

Also , I don’t feel like I need to go back and edit that post. If you’ve been following all my updates , I’ve backed down on my original thoughts from that post. I was angry and my emotions can get the best of me at times. I’m human. It happens. I think I’ve probably gotten quite annoying to some people in here so far, and I’m sorry if I had that effect on Y-O-U. As soon as everything gets to working again I’m sure I’ll be as quiet as a church mouse. Again, sorry for my past rants.

#5378 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My thoughts are also that you are always thinking about 4 steps ahead on this use.
My thoughts are install the new stuff stern is sending you, without the mods, and see what happens, and go from there.
My final thought is you should look into returning the game and getting your money back, or at least look into it.

And how exactly would his speaker lights and shaker damage his ramp motor? These are plug and play mods, not like he soldered them on or had to move stuff around. The lights and shaker work I believe. Most likely, he’s got a bad ramp motor or issue on the node board that controls the ramp motor. Since it’s never worked out of the box, it likely was defective from the factory. It happens.

#5379 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My thoughts exactly too. Which is why I reverted everything back to stock. And I may have to look into swapping it out or getting a refund. I really don’t want to have to go that route, as it was kind of a pain getting that thing into my basement. But yeah. We’ll see what happens. Y-O-U know I’ll keep Y-O-U all updated.

#5380 5 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

And how exactly would his speaker lights and shaker damage his ramp motor? These are plug and play mods, not like he soldered them on or had to move stuff around. The lights and shaker work I believe. Most likely, he’s got a bad ramp motor or issue on the node board that controls the ramp motor. Since it’s never worked out of the box, it likely was defective from the factory. It happens.

Any time you introduce alligator clips into a game, shit can happen. I have a friend who was baffled as to why his left flipper was sticking up on his walking dead. After about 30 minutes of the basic diagnosing for this problem, I asked if he had installed a mod. He had, some backbox lighting kit. He was shorting something on the board, he removed the mod as per my suggestions, and the flipper issue disappeared.

Mods draw power too. Could cause an issue? Another friend, an op, had a GHostbusters on location that kept resetting during games. Tons of mods, lighting kits, etc. Removed them all and the issue stopped.

I've seen games with tons of mods on them and the underside of the playfield and/or boards are a rats nest of alligator clips and wires. You can pretend that doesn't introduce the possibility of screwing up a perfectly working game but I don't buy it - especially when a large percentage of your mod installers are newbies who really doesn't even understand the basics of how all this stuff works and the dangers of shorts.

I'm not against mods per se even if they are not my cup of tea, I think you folks who are making a living or a healthy side income on this stuff are clever and entrepreneurial. But maybe it's time to start designing these less to be easy to install and a little more "you may need to learn the most basic electronic skills" to install in a cleaner, neater way.

#5381 5 months ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

But yeah. We’ll see what happens. Y-O-U know I’ll keep Y-O-U all updated.

LMAO

say what you will about this guy but he's a sport!

#5382 5 months ago

This thread makes me want to remove my Invisiglass, put the standard glass back in the machine, and smash something through it. Invisiglass is too expensive to break. So much negativity. LOL.

#5383 5 months ago

Levi, just as an FYI, none of the mods I installed used alligator clips. The shaker motor and the speaker light kits are actually all independent from that particular system of the center ramp. But I decided it would be best to run it stock and see what happens. Maybe it was just a bad motor like lermods suggested. That’s what the tech at stern has said as well. Time will tell. I get my parts tomorrow.

#5384 5 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

He said everything worked before he installed these mods. Not saying this is what happened in this case but if you try to use a SAM shaker motor in a Spike game it will damage the node board which would effect other functions driven by that board:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sam-502-5027-00-shaker-in-spike-useable

In any case he removed the mods and Stern is sending him a new node board and motor.

#5385 5 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

He said everything worked before he installed these mods. Not saying this is what happened in this case but if you try to use a SAM shaker motor in a Spike game it will damage the node board which would effect other functions driven by that board:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sam-502-5027-00-shaker-in-spike-useable
In any case he removed the mods and Stern is sending him a new node board and motor.

I think you’re the second person that suggested that I ordered the wrong shaker for my machine. That’s not the case. I specifically ordered a spike 2 shaker that was compatible with my machine. I’m only guessing here, but if I had ordered the wrong one, wouldn’t the connectors to the board be totally different for a non-spike 2 setup????????

#5386 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Any time you introduce alligator clips into a game, shit can happen. I have a friend who was baffled as to why his left flipper was sticking up on his walking dead. I asked if he had installed a mod. He had, some backbox lighting kit. He was shorting something on the board, he removed the mod as per my suggestions, and the flipper issue disappeared.
Mods draw power too. Could cause an issue?
I've seen games with tons of mods on them and the underside of the playfield and/or boards are a rats nest of alligator clips and wires. You can pretend that doesn't introduce the possibility of screwing up a perfectly working game but I don't buy it.

We are talking about a plug in shaker and plug in speaker lights that Doug said used a separate power supply. The bad shakers from a while back were causing slam tilt issues and resets I believe. Stern sent out capacitors, but now those are built into the game. I cannot 100% say the shaker is not at fault, but that’s not where I’d be starting. Start with motor and motor board. I do agree that I’d not plug anything in until he gets the ramp working. Then, one by one, add the mods you want and see what happens.

#5387 5 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

We are talking about a plug in shaker and plug in speaker lights that Doug said used a separate power supply. The bad shakers from a while back were causing slam tilt issues and resets I believe. Stern sent out capacitors, but now those are built into the game. I cannot 100% say the shaker is not at fault, but that’s not where I’d be starting. Start with motor and motor board. I do agree that I’d not plug anything in until he gets the ramp working. Then, one by one, add the mods you want and see what happens.

Reasonable and prudent. Let's get a beer!

#5388 5 months ago

That’s exactly what I’m going to do. I probably won’t do mods for quite some time after all that I’ve been through with this game. I just wanna get it working and enjoy it.

#5389 5 months ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So hostile in here.

This is nothing compared to the ar15.com forums. lol

#5390 5 months ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

I think you’re the second person that suggested that I ordered the wrong shaker for my machine. That’s not the case. I specifically ordered a spike 2 shaker that was compatible with my machine. I’m only guessing here, but if I had ordered the wrong one, wouldn’t the connectors to the board be totally different for a non-spike 2 setup????????

I specifically said I didn't know that was the case. I was just responding to the earlier comment that claimed the shaker board couldn't damage the node board. In fact one distributor sold a few shakers that weren't wired correctly and blew node boards. Those boards and shakers were replaced. Your shaker could have been the problem and you previously said as much and you even said earlier today that you thought the shaker was the issue.

#5391 5 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I specifically said I didn't know that was the case. I was just responding to the earlier comment that claimed the shaker board couldn't damage the node board. In fact one distributor sold a few shakers that weren't wired correctly and blew node boards. Those boards and shakers were replaced. Your shaker could have been the problem and you previously said as much and you even said earlier today that you thought the shaker was the issue.

Yes I did say that I thought the shaker was the issue because I disconnected it from the system totally. And the ramp was working for quite some time. Until just before lunch and then it quit on me again. And I posted another update concerning that as well. Don’t know if you saw that post or not.

#5392 5 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

The error is there for a reason. So, not normal, even the handful of people you know with one has it. I'd check the 48v output from the power supply and see if Stern got a batch of them with the 48v slightly low (which would draw the error when everything powers on at once at boot). If the 48v is dead on 48v or a hair below, you can bump it a half a volt with the pot.

Could this be related to the coin door interlock switch? "48V disabled,etc..." displays when I open the coin door on my Deadpool with 1.03 code. Maybe the ST code isn't fully flushed out for this yet?

#5393 5 months ago
Quoted from kpg:

Here’s an upvote for you.

#5394 5 months ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So just got off the phone with tech support at stern and he said that the 48v messsge we’ve been getting on boot up is normalans that he also gets the same message on the machine on their test machine. He’s going to forward this to the code people and they’ll add something in code to eliminate this. So there you guys go. Just like chuckwurt was saying.

Thanks for following up. Sounds like a lazy update to the system code when the interlock code was added. SURPRISE!

#5395 5 months ago
Quoted from kpg:

Very true.
Try putting it to stock 100% - even the speaker lights (not saying they are the issue but they do draw more power from stock) so that power draw is the same as when you first powered it on.
Then work on resolving the 48V error and going from there.
FYI, I'm an IT consultant of 20+ years and have my own consulting firm, I consult with IT departments of Fortunate 500 companies and also many small/medium businesses so I'm a tech guy by nature and love troubleshooting this kind of stuff.
Don't get frustrated about this I promise you'll have it up and running 100% again soon. Just need to troubleshoot it properly since the techs at Stern can only do so much remotely

That light kit is drawing more power only in the way another game (or anything else) plugged into the same circuit in your house would be. Having something plugged into the wall outlet along with the game would have as much chance of messing with it's node board power as that light kit would.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

#5396 5 months ago
Quoted from kpg:

I downvoted you for your tone and online detective work. You did not at all come across in that first post like you were trying to help him out. You came across like you were trying to out him and throw him under the bus for doing something wrong. Bottom line even if the mod caused the problem, a new pin should be able to handle a shaker motor and a couple of LEDs with out blowing up. This place is brutal to new guys and there is really no reason for it.

#5397 5 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I downvoted you for your tone and online detective work. You did not at all come across in that first post like you were trying to help him out. You came across like you were trying to out him and throw him under the bus for doing something wrong. Bottom line even if the mod caused the problem, a new pin should be able to handle a shaker motor and a couple of LEDs with out blowing up. This place is brutal to new guys and there is really no reason for it.

I also thought it was kind of creepy how he came at me with all the screen shots and what not. And I agree with you about the mods as well. I only disconnected to to double check and indeed the problem is still there. Also, I feel a little hesitant about posting in the future. But I also know how brutal people can be in forums. But I’m not gonna hate on anyone in here. That’s not who I am. This is a Learning experience for me and I’m gonna use it to help the next guy or gal who needs it. Thanks for speaking up though. I appreciate it.

#5398 5 months ago

F*ck me. The Stern sycophants were just lurking in the shadows waiting.

The shaker and lights have been disconnected and the problem is still there. It is possible he was delivered a faulty game by Stern. Wouldn’t be the first time but I’m sure he’ll be looked after by Stern.

And remember:
AFFCD82E-BA22-4055-881C-A3DC88879327 (resized).jpeg

#5399 5 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I’m sure he’ll be looked after by Stern

Yes. They have been very good with their customer service! 100 % agreed !

#5400 5 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

And “u” sound like someone that gets annoyed WAY too easy. @trindawg is typing in a pinball forum, not writing a thesis for his doctorate. Y-O-U really shouldn’t sweat the small stuff in life.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plymouth, WI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,599.99
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
There are 7137 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 143.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside