Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1693 (resized).JPG
IMG_1699 (resized).JPG
IMG_1696 (resized).JPG
IMG_1698 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hello all,

I've just picked up a 1977 Stern Stingray from a guy who has never had it running, and it came with the house he bought. The MPU and Display driver boards were in the bottom of the cabinet and seem complete except some minor battery damage and missing U2 and U6. I'm still deciding whether or not to buy the missing roms and try to get it going, or just get an Alltek board.

It also has a board in it that I've never seen before called MAA-100 and I can't find ANYTHING anywhere on the internet about what this board is. There is no sound board at all so I'm guessing this board runs the chimes? Do I possibly have something kind of rare here since I cannot find any info about it anywhere other than the documentation that came with the game saying this game is equipped with a MAA-100 board. It doesn't tell me anything more than that and there are no schematics for it. It plugs into the 32 pin connector at the top of the MPU.

Has anyone seen this board before? Here's some pics, thanks.

IMG_1698 (resized).JPGIMG_1698 (resized).JPG

IMG_1696 (resized).JPGIMG_1696 (resized).JPG

IMG_1699 (resized).JPGIMG_1699 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

I think that's the roms for the mpu?

The chimes are just run by the driver board.

#3 6 years ago

This is the electromechanical forum. You'll get better answers over at the electronic forum.

#4 6 years ago

That is weird. Looks like the rom board, because there are no rom chips on the MPU. I wonder if you installed the Alltek mpu without connecting that top connector, if that board becomes unnecessary?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

That is weird. Looks like the rom board, because there are no rom chips on the MPU. I wonder if you installed the Alltek mpu without connecting that top connector, if that board becomes unnecessary?

It would, yes

#6 6 years ago

That's an early ROM board that was used before ROMs were put into the usual sockets on the MPU.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Stern_MAA-100_ROM_Board

From the looks of it, you can probably remove it and install EPROMs on the MPU, as long as you make sure the board is jumpered correctly for the EPROMs you are going to use.

Out of curiosity, is this a 2-player version of Stingray, or a 4-player version?

Also, would you allow the photos to be posted on pinwiki? This is only the second game I've seen that had this board, and a reference photo would be great

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

This is the electromechanical forum. You'll get better answers over at the electronic forum.

Oh damn, I knew I was in the wrong forum and was going to move to the early SS forum but got sidetracked. If someone can move it for me that would be great, thanks.

Anyhow, thanks very much for the input. I would be happy to let PinWiki or anyone use the photos. Is there anything I need to do for that or can you upload them? Let me know if you want better pictures and I'll snap a few more.

That's the most information I've seen on it yet, and it's not a lot! "For the first Stern solid state game, Pinball, a ROM board was initially used. It was also spotted in Stingray. This board was mounted to the backbox and a harness connected the board to the MPU board at the top connector J5." It's funny but I looked up the manual for Stern "Pinball" and the MAA-100 isn't listed in there either.

It's a 4 player game btw. I never would've thought those were the game roms, and knowing that, I'd really like to keep it original and get it going. Damnit, that means contending with a flaky M-100 mpu, but at least the battery damage looks fairly minimal. I think I'll start with re-seating all the roms, and re-doing solder on connectors etc. That board has 2 rows of connectors on it, and I wonder if there's any chance it's connected on the wrong set of pins? Of course there's no getting around fixing all the battery damage, but gotta try the easy stuff first and see if i can even get the first flicker. Right now the LED stays on solid.

I'm going to dig around some more and hopefully an admin can move this thread to the proper forum. Thanks!

IMG_1693 (resized).JPGIMG_1693 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

Good news. I took the boards out to really see what was going on with them and U7 and U11 were in backwards! I flipped them around, and reseated all the socketed chips, and it fired right up! Sweet. Still lots to do on the old garage Stingray but for the $100 I paid for it I think it'll be a great game once it's cleaned up and fully serviced. I just picked it up yesterday, so still lots to explore.

#9 6 years ago

Thanks for moving this to the appropriate forum. Cheers.

At least there will be a thread on this now that people will find when they have an MAA-100 board, and like me they didn't know what the heck it was. Not a chime board!
I had no idea... Thanks again.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from CanadianGamer:

Anyhow, thanks very much for the input. I would be happy to let PinWiki or anyone use the photos. Is there anything I need to do for that or can you upload them? Let me know if you want better pictures and I'll snap a few more.

The photos have been added to pinwiki--thanks

#11 6 years ago

the price difference between memory chips at the time must have been huge to go through all that work to use an external rom board.

#12 6 years ago

That external ROM board can be a pain in the ass. On my 1977 Stern "Pinball", this board is mounted directly above the knocker! Lots of cracked solder joints (everywhere!) that needed reflowing. I knew that Stingray uses the same Roms as "Pinball" but I wasn't aware that Stingray was also using that same external ROM board (complete with "Pinball" labels on chips). Very cool!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

That external ROM board can be a pain in the ass. On my 1977 Stern "Pinball", this board is mounted directly above the knocker! Lots of cracked solder joints (everywhere!) that needed reflowing. I knew that Stingray uses the same Roms as "Pinball" but I wasn't aware that Stingray was also using that same external ROM board (complete with "Pinball" labels on chips). Very cool!

Oh, I didn't think the "Pinball" labels were from the actual game "Pinball". I thought it was a generic sticker but yeah, it must be as you've said. There were over 3000 Stingrays produced, and I'm thinking only the first few out came with this board because you can buy the Stingray ROMS U2 and U6.

Well, I learned something new with this one, that's always good. No Knocker below it so maybe it'll work ok for me.

#15 6 years ago

VERY cool thread. I too have a stern stingray with all original boards and it does not have the little rom board. Im glad you got it working!!! Its a keeper game once you play it!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 199.95
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

2,182 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stingray-maa-100-chimes-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.