• Latest reply 4 years ago by klr650
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20171204_211251613 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hello everyone. I have a Stern Stingray with the bally/stern 6 digit displays and 2 of the displays are out. I swapped them with the 3 working ones I have and they display just fine so it's not the MPU, connectors or cables. I also followed Steve Kulpas guide. http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_disp6r.htm

I reflowed the head pins, changed out the 6 resistors with 100kohm 1/2w and replaced the decoder chip. When I turn the game on they just don't seem to get power, no orange glow or anything. The nipple is not busted and the glass is not damaged. The only thing I have not done is change the transistors. I cant believe that they would all be bad unless I am missing something. I'm hoping that the displays are not dead but aside from changing the transistors I am out of ideas. I appreciate the assistance in advance.

#2 4 years ago

you can test power at the display to verify it's getting there. I don't remember off the top of my head which test point it is. If power is there the glass is probably bad

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

you can test power at the display to verify it's getting there. I don't remember off the top of my head which test point it is. If power is there the glass is probably bad

When I swap a working display with one of the dead ones it light up/operates just fine. So the connector is supplying power.

#4 4 years ago

The glass can definitely be bad. I have several with bad glass that I tried a known good decoder chip in and nothing. Even if you have some bad transistors or resistors you should see SOMETHING on the display with a good chip.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

The glass can definitely be bad. I have several with bad glass that I tried a known good decoder chip in and nothing. Even if you have some bad transistors or resistors you should see SOMETHING on the display with a good chip.

That's what I figured. Oh well that's too bad. I guess I can order a new set of the LED ones. Appreciate the help.

#6 4 years ago

If you are looking for a full set of LED displays, the Pinitech UNO displays are excellent (and very affordable). I just installed a set in my Quicksilver and I will be buying another set for my 1977 "Pinball" by Stern (which has displays that are starting to outgas). One huge advantage is that you can pull the high voltage fuse off your rectifier board as it's no longer required.

IMG_20171204_211251613 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Snell, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!