8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by dtrimberger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 months ago

Hi, I'm working on a stars pinball machine, and am having a few random issues.

First up:
    When I go to coin up, I drop one coin, but the machine continually keeps adding more credits endlessly until I turn it off. Switch is not sticking. I did notice that both coin switches do not have diodes....should they?

Second, when the machine boots up, a couple lights are on that I think should not be. One of the five stars is lit, and a double score light is lit. I believe both of these should be off on startup. Again, no stuck switches. Both should be activated by action on the playfield.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#2 8 months ago

It might be just that you have the dip switches set to add a ton of credits for one coin, and it's counting them off one by one

Many early bally/sterns don't have diodes on the coin door since no other switches should be closed at that time. Slight cost savings measure

Do the lights work properly in lamp test?

#3 8 months ago

mine's at a friends house (covid trade) so I can't look, but I think one stars light is correct - does it change from one star to another when you power up, or is it always the same one?

max you can set the dip switches for is 15 games per coin - take a look at the manual (https://www.ipdb.org/files/2366/Stern_1978_Stars_Manual.pdf) to see what the yours is set for - doesn't sound like that is the problem though. You likely have something else going on.

is the battery still on the board?

#4 8 months ago

Thanks for the replies. Lamps all work in test mode. I'll check the switches. As for which light, is always the purple one.

#5 8 months ago

Ok, so I checked the switches, and sure enough, that was it. It was the coin slot 2and 3 set for a high count. So that is solved!

Also, the battery has been removed.

I'm starting to wonder if the light being on at startup is the intended design. Id like to see a video of a normal boot up.

#6 8 months ago

One star is lit at the beginning of each game, but I think it is random, not the purple one each time. But that could be a setting adjustment.

I would go throught the manual and make sure all of your dip switch settings are where you want them.

#7 8 months ago

Went through the switches, everything is good there. I wonder if it's because I have no battery yet. In any case, there is supposed to be a light on, so I think all is well. Thanks for all the help! For whoever has one of these machines, did you put led lights in, and if so, did you like them? Thanks!

#8 8 months ago
    Quoted from Snype32:

Went through the switches, everything is good there. I wonder if it's because I have no battery yet. In any case, there is supposed to be a light on, so I think all is well. Thanks for all the help! For whoever has one of these machines, did you put led lights in, and if so, did you like them? Thanks!

I bought the led kit from pinballbulbs.com. They look great, only change I made to the kit was putting purple in the purple star locations

#9 8 months ago

Ok, did you have any flicker issues, or did you use non ghosting bulbs?

#10 8 months ago
    Quoted from Snype32:

Ok, did you have any flicker issues, or did you use non ghosting bulbs?

Because of black Friday deals and basically a total restore of the machine (musty basement) I ended up getting the alltek lamp board. I have no flicker issues at all except for some occasional flickers when I hit the flippers which I don't think has anything to do with LED flickering. So I don't have great advice for you there. Email mark at pinballbulbs, he'll have some advice for you on the alltek vs. flicker fixer which he also has.

d

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside