Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170806_2229596 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

So I'm dealing with a few issues regarding my Stars and could use some help in figuring out what's going on. First off, let me say that I'm fairly amateur in repairing/diagnosing these types of issues so if you offer any advice/tests to do can I ask that you include the following information:

- machine on/off
- multimeter set to X setting
- positive/negative leads on X and Y

Alright, on to the issues at hand. This all started with an issue with the ball trough kicker sometimes being too weak to kick the ball to the shooter lane. I changed the coil sleeve to start. While trying to look at what was happening while the ball was trying to be kicked out I noticed smoke coming from the machine. Turns out the pop bumper coil burnt out. I replaced the coil on the pop bumper and now as soon as the machine is turned on the pop bumper energizes. I checked the switch to make sure it wasn't stuck closed, it wasn't. I've desoldered the coil and went through the diagnostics and found no switches stuck closed. I then went through the solenoid test and found the following ones not working:

#1 chime (10)
#7 chime (10,000)
#15 knocker (I'm not sure if this was ever working before though)

Out of the 4 solenoids for the chimes one appears a tad burnt on the coil wrapper. It does not fire when I go through the solenoid test. However the other chime that does not fire does not show any sign of burning on the wrapper. Not sure if this happened when the pop bumper coil burnt out, but it just something to take note of.

I just turned the machine on again, and it didn't go through it's normal reset (drops reset, etc). I went through the test again just now none of the solenoids fire. So it seems that there isn't any power getting to the coils. There's also a humming noise coming from the machine.

So what was seemingly a small problem has now mushroomed into something much larger. Sigh.

Any help at all would be most appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

Sounds like you've got a blown transistor(s) and fuse

If the pop bumper locks as soon as you turn the game on it has to be a driver board issue, as the MPU isn't booted yet and won't be processing the switches

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Sounds like you've got a blown transistor(s) and fuse
If the pop bumper locks as soon as you turn the game on it has to be a driver board issue, as the MPU isn't booted yet and won't be processing the switches

Thanks for responding zacaj Can you elaborate what you mean by blown transistor(s) and fuse? Where? I've checked all the fuses in the machine that I can find (backbox and under the playfield) and all check out okay.

As far as the pop bumper issue, I was thinking it was a driver board issue but really don't know where to start and/or how to diagnose the issue.

#5 6 years ago

Q12 tested fine using the method you provided in the link (525 and 581) but in taking the board out and looking at the back it looks like this.

IMG_20170806_2229596 (resized).jpgIMG_20170806_2229596 (resized).jpg

5 months later
#6 6 years ago

I am dealing with similar issues on same game.
I think the easiest route is new driver board.
When I giggle the j3 pin connector my board comes to life. I found driver boards on big auction sites for relatively cheap and recently some new boards being made for Stern's on social pinball groups

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 169.00
$ 69.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stars-pop-bumper-and-other-issues?hl=lowkeyfilms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.