Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by tompallc
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tompallc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

So, my stars do not light up and none of the #25 switches make a sound on the chimes (the no sound might be normal).... The star targets score when hit and as far as I can tell all scoring is correct. But no lights on the stars ever. Also the bonus lights down the middle do not light either.

When I ground the transistors at the board they light.

#3 11 years ago

None of the Stars inserts or the lights down the middle flash in attract or test. The other lights do flash in attract and test mode.

#5 11 years ago

I think I have that kit. Was getting ready to restore my Bally Star Trek. They should be the same I think?

Can't hurt to pull the board and try it out. I have spent some time getting this thing cleaned, cleared and polished up. Just need to fix this last problem, flatten some plastics. Heck I may make some new stencils for the cabinet.

Thanks!

#6 11 years ago

I do have the kit. Will replace those chips and chime back in tomorrow.

#9 11 years ago

Ok, so I replaced the chips and the bonus lights in the middle of the playfield work except for the 10,000 and 9,000. And the STARS lights do not light. The special lights do light up beside the the star lights but no STARS lights...

I went throught the lamp board and reflowed all connectors. I can't figure this out

#10 11 years ago

Does the relay on the Sol board have anything to do with it? I wonder. If anyone has an idea please chime in. I just thought for a second that I havent heard that relay click ever...

#12 11 years ago

I guess I need to check them. It's kinda strange that since i replace the 4 decoder chips I now have the middle lights working and the lights that worked before are no longer working and the stars lights still don't work... also, it can't be the sockets if I ground the transistors and they light...

very weird.

You know, I am going through clay's guides tonight and go back and make sure I do all the little upgrades to all the boards before I rack my brain any more.

I know someone has had this problem before, I saw a post on RGP concerning this but of course the archives are down and I can't find the post on google groups.

I have to hurry because the world ends in a couple days and I want this thing fixed before that happens for sure!

#13 11 years ago

so.... maybe it is the cd4050 buffer chips that are bad. I think that is it.. just ordered them. We shall see.

1 month later
#14 11 years ago

replaced all chips on the lamp driver board. still no stars.... this makes no sense to me. If the stars work when I ground the transistor it would have to be on the board somewhere. Or could it be the cpu board?

1 year later
#15 10 years ago

Sorry to revive an old post but I decided to go back to this machine and try to fix it. Yep, it's been sitting for a year like this!
So my lamp driver board appears to be working perfectly, I changed all the chips on the board, tested all the scr's etc.. even swapped boards to verify it isn't the board.
So, I can light up the controlled lamps from the scr's no problem. every one of them when I ground them.

Now, can this be an mpu problem?

I tested the voltages and at the light sockets and they each have 6vdc at both points of the barrel. Is this suppose to be like this?
Anyway, Would love to get this thing fixed. REally is a fun game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tompallc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stars-no-stars?tu=tompallc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.