• 21 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by rotordave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN5574 (resized).JPG
DSCN5573 (resized).JPG
th (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I haven't opened up the machine yet, but last night I played Stars for the first time in a couple months as it is inside the house and during the summer we tend to play in the garage.

But besides that about halfway thru each ball the flippers just die and one of the displays looks a little garbled, but as soon as it kicks the ball into the shooter lane for the next ball, they come back to life. Every time.

I'm sure it won't be too hard to troubleshoot, maybe a bad connection, but I thought I'd get some advice on what to look for before I tear into it just in case. And if not, I will post whatever resolves it.

#2 2 years ago

Stern Stars? Dude that theme is so goddamn old.

#3 2 years ago

It's as old as the stars. But timeless as hell.

#4 2 years ago

I guess when I get home I'll re-seat a few connectors and wiggle the fuses and see if that fixes it.

#5 2 years ago

Sounds like it’s f**ked ODIN old chum ... I’ll do you a favour and take it off your hands next week when I’m there.

rd

#6 2 years ago

Dave, you're part of the reason I am hunkering down and making sure the solid states are in top working order.

I don't want to hear you say "I'll just have to go to nimblepin's house if I want to play Stars then"

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Dave, you're part of the reason I am hunkering down and making sure the solid states are in top working order.
I don't want to hear you say "I'll just have to go to nimblepin's house if I want to play Stars then"

We should get both of them in one place, and have a head2head challenge!

rd

#8 2 years ago

Yeah well, I've got my fully restored Skateball to the left of it, and a freshly tuned Flash Gordon to the right of it so somehow you will have to make do

#9 2 years ago

I got a new CPR PF for my Skateball from Wisconsin ... nice! It’s currently boating it’s way to NZ ...

rd

#10 2 years ago

I guess by the time you get back there you won't notice the color difference from my NOS Bally playfield.

But none of this is getting Stars working so it's time to head home, have dinner and crack a beer and fix it with the Dodgers game on in the background. Wish me luck! It's acting real weird.

#11 2 years ago

Yeah, it’s not as nice as your NOS one, but it’s 1000000x better than my old stuffed one, so I’ll take it.

rd

#12 2 years ago

As you can see, I'm well on my way to getting this pinball machine fixed.

th (resized).jpg

#13 2 years ago

It’s Jack o’clock!!

rd

#14 2 years ago

Dodgers are smoking the Cubs and about to go to the World Series. This can wait until tomorrow.

#15 2 years ago

OP, reflow solder on the relay to circuit board connection point on the solenoid driver/voltage regulator board.

#16 2 years ago

Thanks! That will make my job a little easier..

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Thanks! That will make my job a little easier..

Nahhh,
Why not make it a tad bit harder (Since your Dad has this ultimate set of tools!) and reflow everything that uses a connector.
And since you already have the BB open, might as well re-crimp all those pesky connectors with fresh stuff.

Stars deserves the five-star(s) treatment Spicoli. Any less, you might as well be playing a gimped Chuck E. Sleaze Shrek...

#18 2 years ago

Yeah ODIN, you want to make sure it’s all sweet before sending it down under to your old buddy RD.

rd

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

OP, reflow solder on the relay to circuit board connection point on the solenoid driver/voltage regulator board.

That is the first thing I checked and it looks like it was already done. But yes it had to be in that relay circuit because it affected both flippers and only the flippers. So I traced it to the transformer board bottom connector. The pins look good so I re-seated it and it's good to go. If the problem returns I will redo that 20 pin connector, but not today.

I've got a shoot again light stuck on, and inlane lites out, but I don't want to go to Fryes today so I will swap a couple unused transistors on the lamp driver board. This driver board has literally been running on fumes since I got it, but as long it's still got life in it, I won't replace it.

It's unique too, as it has two Q-17s and no Q-15.

DSCN5573 (resized).JPG

#20 2 years ago

Lamp driver board is fixed again!

Now all I need to do is install this flipper kit I bought last year and it should be ready for all the abuse you want to dish out on it when you get here Dave.

DSCN5574 (resized).JPG

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It should be ready for all the abuse you want to dish out on it when you get here Dave.

You know it.

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 149.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 230.00
Tools
PinDoc Restorations

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside