Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by JonNena
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

So with the test switch held in the displays are working correctly?

Is this an original MPU board or a newer aftermarket replacement?

If it's an original MPU, you might want to try swapping U10/U11 ICs around. It's odd if you're saying that activating the self test switch allows the displays to function correctly. First thought I had is if the momentary switch is a NC (normally closed) instead of NO (normally open) variety. But it could be something faulty with the U10 PIA chip too. Half the display signals are going through U10, so it would explain why you're not getting anything on the displays (CA2 control line at pin 39 on U10 affects display blanking, display latch and display segment data).

Something else you could try just to see if it changes anything is unplugging J3 (cabinet switches) which include the self test switch, once you've started up a game and without the self-test switch activated. That would remove the self test switch from the equation temporarily just to see if the display behavior changes.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from JonNena:

So, question......if i get something different with a different board, can I swap the U10/U11 chips from that board, or are those game specific?

The PIA (peripheral interface adapter) chips aren't game-specific. You can swap those out of any board. They basically expand the number of inputs/outputs the CPU can control.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from JonNena:

Update: I swapped U10 and U11 and it wouldn't boot up.....I only got 1 flash on the MPU and it was very weak. In looking at the chips as I removed/swapped them, 10 looked like a new chip and 11 looked like an old chip. So is U11 my problem? Thanks.

If you swap them back does it boot up as it did before?

If so, I'd say you've identified the problem chip. Hopefully a replacement 6820/6821 PIA would then get you working again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 169.00
$ 199.95
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stars-display-issues?tu=acebathound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.