(Topic ID: 168567)

Stern Stars Chime stuck on, driver tests good...

By megalo17

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by megalo17
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern_1978_Stars_Manual.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 7 years ago

Scratching my head... I've got a Stern Stars that I bought with some issues. Battery corrosion was extensive enough to warrant a new All-Tek mpu board. Was hoping that would solve my problems! Obviously, not so lucky. Chime fuse (next to the chimes, below the playfield) was blowing when purchased. Chime solenoid was charred, so replaced that. On power-up the solenoid is now staying energized (not very surprising). I tested all driver transistors on the solenoid board, including diodes, and resistors. All looked good. I tested diodes installed. Didn't want to go on a wild goose chase and have to do a bunch of soldering. I tested the pre-driver transistor chip(?) and it looked good, I think. I've read about the caps needing replacement. i've been reading the techniek/fllipperwinkel write up, which is super awesome btw. I measured AC output voltage at Capacitor 23 and am getting 32V! Supposed to be .3 Vac. Could these issues be related? Still can't start a game. All-tek led flashes show no errors. I probably shouldn't send anymore bad power to the mpu board. Haven't even started looking at why the trough kicker wires are cut.

#2 7 years ago

It's nice that it "tests good" but those tests aren't foolproof. The fact that the chime is locked on pretty much ensures that transistor and it's predriver (if it has one) need replacement. It's not exactly a complicated job as far as board work is concerned and should take less than an hour.

If that doesn't fix it it's most certainly the chip.

You don't have another bally board you can swap in to test?

#3 7 years ago

Nothing from that era. I wouldn't think it's the chip, since the All-Tek board comes with a new one, and it was doing this with the old mpu also.

#4 7 years ago

Some meters will read double the DC value when set to read AC. I wouldn't worry about the 32v reading across C23.

More than likely, the CA8031 transistor array is bad. Since there are 4 parts inside one package, it could effect more than 1 solenoid.

You can pull molex connectors one left and bottom to remove connection to coils. Then test the base voltage to each TIP120/SE9302 drivers. Each, should be near zero. If you find 1 volt or more, it is being turned on either by bad CA3081 or 74L154 or both.

Obviously, it is cheaper and easier to replace a suspect Tip120 than one of the ICs. You can check the schematic or solenoid table for any unused drivers.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for both of your help! I did the powered on test, and Q6 is getting 1 volt continuously. CA3081 is the pre-driver IC. What is 74L154? BTW, I noticed another cap I previously tested was also showing twice the DC voltage on the AC setting. Cheap multimeter?

#6 7 years ago

It looks like CA3081 is just the part number for 74L154. Got it... Thanks again!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

It looks like CA3081 is just the part number for 74L154. Got it... Thanks again!

No. The 74L154 is the biggest chip on that board. The CA3081 or plessy number SL3081, are the 16 pin dip ICs.

The 74L154 drives 15 of the CA3081 pre drivers.

1 volt is more than enough to fully turn the Tip120 on thereby, a stuck on coil.

#8 7 years ago

Check continuity between the tab of the chime transistor to ground. If you read a short, replace transistor. Otherwise problem is probably CA3081 as stated. If the 74154 was bad it would be more obvious and affect numerous coils.

#9 7 years ago

Looking in the manual (pg.25) it shows U2 with 74L154 printed under it. However, at the bottom of the page it says "U1, U2, U3= CA3081" Doesn't that mean they are one and the same? Confusing. Sorry, I don't know how to screen shot.

Stern_1978_Stars_Manual.pdfStern_1978_Stars_Manual.pdf

#10 7 years ago

The schematic is right, the note is wrong. U2 is a 74154.

#11 7 years ago

You guys are awesome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 169.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stars-chime-stuck-on-driver-tests-good and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.