• Latest reply 8 years ago by crwjumper
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sterndrop-3_preview_featured.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Everytime I try and start a new game, the ship goes completely crazy, the drop down target goes up and down like 8 times really quick and the game starts with Veangeance multiball activated? I don`t have time to do a mission select or anything of the sort or even pick the number of players. Anyone have any ideas? This video was shot from a fresh startup and me hitting the start button once.

#2 8 years ago

Can you possibly see both sets of optos illuminating underneath the ship?

#3 8 years ago

Mine has done that a couple times recently. I figured it was just dirt or something has fallen in front of the opto for the drop. Doesn't do it every time.

#4 8 years ago

It's definitely a flaky opto. Put it in switch test. There's probably some dust in front of the opto

#5 8 years ago

The bottom right opto seems active and the upper left as well. The one on the front left seems very dull even if the other opto is shining directly on it.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

It's definitely a flaky opto. Put it in switch test. There's probably some dust in front of the opto

Ill have to figure the switch test. Im so used to Williams Bally menu and this is somewhat the first time I have to dwelve in the Stern menus. I`ll shoot some compress air in there see if that does anything.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

The bottom right opto seems active and the upper left as well. The one on the front left seems very dull even if the other opto is shining directly on it.

Unplug the optos and plug them back in. See if that clears things up.

LTG : )™

#8 8 years ago

Have you put washers behind the ledge that holds the drop target up. This is a common issue that can be fixed with washers. There is a thread about the drop target not staying up that I can find for you later if you can't locate it.

#9 8 years ago

It's optos

#10 8 years ago

Rubbed alcohol on swap and cleaned Optos. Unplugged Optos from board. Problem persists. Will retry tomorrow

#11 8 years ago

not sure if same problem your having but mine would pick a mission as soon as i hit start, it would fire ball off, the drop target would go up and down several times and start a vengeance mode. The washers under drop target fixed mine. heres a video i made fixing mine, maybe it will help yours.

#12 8 years ago

Hi again,
My ST Pro's left front opto had a bad solder under the ship and directly behind the drop target. I re-soldered it. The left opto is a transmitter and the right opto is the receiver. Lift the PF look for the opto board to the left of the ship. The led illuminates when the opto is working properly genteelly wiggle the wires for the opto and see if the board's led light flickers, goes out, etc.???

#13 8 years ago

Not necessarily. The same exact problem can occur from the drop target not catching the ledge. It is very common and washers will fix it.

#14 8 years ago

Bump
Would like to know what you find that fixes it.

#15 8 years ago

Ok so both sets of optos seem to register when I roll a ball in front of them. Optos boards are all illuminated under the playfield. I have reseated all the connectors on the board. Would it be safe to say it's not an option problem?

#16 8 years ago

You need washers behind the drop target ledge it fixed mine

#17 8 years ago

This problem has been documented before and happens a lot. The drop target is not catching the lip of the plastic that holds it up or it is broken. Installing washers underneath will fix the problem. If it is broken, PBL sells the part for a few bucks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-le-drop-target-wont-stay-up#post-2073538

#18 8 years ago

Washer fixed worked for me when mine did that.

#19 8 years ago

Problem is there are already washer in there. Will try to adjust.

#20 8 years ago

The washers worked for just a short time. I used 1/32 and 1/16....even replaced the ledge that broke after putting in the washers. Tweaked that darn thing for weeks. So what I eventually did, that has now lasted for 2 months is the same fix that was recommended on the drop target on woz.
With the pf in upright position, grab the whole drop target assembly and push it towards the front of the pf. It's very hard to bend it, so just bending it a slight amount has kept the drop target from not setting on the ledge. Worked on my woz and now has worked on my st.

#21 8 years ago

Yeah so damn focused on making sure the washers where there that I didn`t even see the damn plastic was broken.

#22 8 years ago

My plastic is broken as well, but it still functions for the moment so I haven't replaced it. I think it can't take the force from the drop target when it is held up by the washers for long. (Kind of like a karate master chopping boards held up by two cinder blocks.) I have an idea to put a small strip of felt tape or something behind it when I next replace it to see if that evens out the force and makes it last longer. Not sure if that will work or if I have the right thickness tape. Still, it might be something you want to try when you replace your ledge.

1 month later
#23 8 years ago

For those with a 3-D printer, you can make your own stronger replacement. Follow this ink for the downloadable pattern file.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:969909 sterndrop-3_preview_featured.jpgsterndrop-3_preview_featured.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stark-trek-going-crazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.