Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by JoachimR
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I found this in one of the other Star Wars threads but thought I would post it separately.

This is from the Belgian Pinball Open (BoP). I believe they had a beta version of the code.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/178856704

Video mode is at the 43:25 mark - Navigate the Asteroid Field

Light Sabre duel starts at the 6:50 mark.

Looks pretty cool.

Enjoy!
Ed

#2 6 years ago

I thought everyone hated video modes now cause of "killing flow?"

EDIT: Looks kind of cool to me.

#3 6 years ago

Video mode graphics look fine. Concept is still same thing as any other dumb dodging game, might as well be the car in The Getaway. This really is Highspeed 3 I guess!

Sorry to be negative, but lame video modes still suck even with a color screen. Why Dwight insists on bringing them back in 2017 I just don't understand.

There was originally an idea for a video mode in Alien, something about punching the Queen with the loader arms I think. It sounded just as stupid, thank goodness we shot it down.

#4 6 years ago

Different strokes I guess. I actually enjoy the video modes on sttng.

#5 6 years ago

at least it isn't 1/4 as bad as the GOT video mode...which never, never gets selected.

#6 6 years ago

Lights saber duel looks allright.
I'm sorry that asteroid field looks terrible, looks like Mario Kart on the Super NES rocking the mode 7 systems. I'm sorry but that is just not acceptable in 2017.

#7 6 years ago

Asteroid field looks like a cheap Silpheed crossed with Gyruss. Video modes can be integrated well (Indy/Fishtales) but it's a lot harder than it sounds to do one well. Game of Thrones has one of the worst ones ever.

EDIT: Beaten on the GoT!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

Different strokes I guess. I actually enjoy the video modes on sttng.

You mean the one you can memorize? That's honestly one of the worst ones ever made IMHO.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You mean the one you can memorize? That's honestly one of the worst ones ever made IMHO.

batman forever you can memorize and beat every time. pretty lame.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Same with GnR's motorcycle video mode. I had to play GnR once in league and had no idea WTF to do, meanwhile someone else knew the entire sequence.

When I play BF against anyone, it's either an automatic 150M-170M points for me, or I be nice and crash immediately. Just completely lame without randomization.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

STTNG video mode is LLRRLLRLLL. There, you beat it, good job.

#12 6 years ago

As still the only American civilian to play this video mode, I'll say it's fun and similar to Gyruss. Would be cool if you could shoot rocks with the action button (I tried and it didn't).

#13 6 years ago

Lightsaber Mode looks pretty good. Asteroid might be ok once in awhile.
I was just playing GB last night and did the card mode. Takes forever and adds nothing to the game.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Video mode graphics look fine. Concept is still same thing as any other dumb dodging game, might as well be the car in The Getaway. This really is Highspeed 3 I guess!
Sorry to be negative, but lame video modes still suck even with a color screen. Why Dwight insists on bringing them back in 2017 I just don't understand.
There was originally an idea for a video mode in Alien, something about punching the Queen with the loader arms I think. It sounded just as stupid, thank goodness we shot it down.

Most people actually like video modes. It's just that stern has yet to do a good one.

I do not see anyone complaining about them in TS, IJ, Fishtales, Congo, and even ones like in CFTBL are fun because they don't happen very often and you don't see it every game. The problem is that GOT and GB have terrible video modes. If you are going to bring them back put the proper time into them and do them right. When done right they add to game, not take away from it.

Haven't played SW yet but these actually look like a good step in the right direction compares to GOT and GB.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

STTNG video mode is LLRRLLRLLL. There, you beat it, good job.

I think you're doing too many turns there.

Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah everything is going great in Alien land without that dreadful video mode.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

Lightsaber Mode looks pretty good. Asteroid might be ok once in awhile.
I was just playing GB last night and did the card mode. Takes forever and adds nothing to the game.

I never liked the card game in GB because the values start too low.

SW video mode is better I think.

Rob

#17 6 years ago

Earlier people were saying video mode was the Hoth I mission. Doesn't really fit though in that slot. Anybody know if there will be a Hoth I mission in addition to these 2 modes?

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Earlier people were saying video mode was the Hoth I mission. Doesn't really fit though in that slot. Anybody know if there will be a Hoth I mission in addition to these 2 modes?

I would've thought Speeder Bike would be the video mode, but apparently Steve Ritchie LOVES the Millennium Falcon.

#19 6 years ago

Judging by the video, Hoth I is solid and the video mode was just the yellow insert flashing. You'd think Hoth I would definitely be an AT-AT mission.

#20 6 years ago

Hoth 1 is the video mode for Han and Leia. There is no other Hoth 1 mode. Luke and R2D2 can play the video mode if you qualify it from the FORCE targets (3 completions).

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Hoth 1 is the video mode for Han and Leia.

Like um...what are they doing?

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Hoth 1 is the video mode for Han and Leia.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Like um...what are they doing?

Kissing in the hallway. If you mistime your button hits you get cock-blocked by Luke, Chewie, or some falling ice chunks.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Meh, I think even simple video modes can be fun if they're used lightly and of short duration. The Shadow is a good example. And dodging certainly beats manic button pressing.

Remains to be seen how this one plays.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Unfortunately no. Video mode is the video mode. Hoth 1 is also the video mode. Any character can play video mode, but only Leia and Han can play Hoth 1.

Rob

#25 6 years ago

I tried watching the video on twitch, but got an error. YouTube is an alternative:

(just the video and light saber mode).

#26 6 years ago

The video mode looks better than it seems on this video. Also it was one of the better and fun video modes I've played to date.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from JoachimR:

The video mode looks better than it seems on this video. Also it was one of the better and fun video modes I've played to date.

If you enjoyed it then you enjoyed it, we can all like different things. I'm not a fan, because I play pinball to play pinball and not Game and Watch minigames, but if it provides a break and something new for you to get into during play, hey, great.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you enjoyed it then you enjoyed it...

Great, thanks for chiming in.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm not a fan, because I play pinball to play pinball and not Game and Watch minigames,

That's still a (very small) part of pinball and has been for about 25 years now. A video mode is also not 'gaming'.

Rob

#30 6 years ago

I wasn't chiming in on the discussion whether a video mode should be in a pinball, just wanted to share my experience with it. But anyway I like them if they are not the same (repeatable) every time (fish tales or lw3 come to mind of really good ones for me).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 10.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-video-mode-navigate-the-asteroid-field and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.