Topic Stats

• 1,156 posts
  • 204 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by paul_8788
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 224 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
20200521_090609 (resized).jpg
Droid2 (resized).jpg
20200418_161305 (resized).jpg
SW-TOPb (resized).jpg
20200309_130701a (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
8D970173-A5A4-4DBE-BCBC-6F1FD87A8EF1 (resized).jpeg
85C7846B-6EEF-4A0D-B1B8-A74B45DD0DA8.jpeg
44A712DE-AE6D-4746-B954-F943537CEA6B.jpeg
20200216_114450_resized (resized).jpg
8DCC7F83-47E3-447D-A434-4EDE0BC5D0FF (resized).jpeg
12BF3F28-3B3B-443C-ADDD-555AB94C6B1E (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rockfordreplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#587 5 months ago

I pre-payed for this one when ordering the machine. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough and required a bit more to complete the purchase. I drove in tonight to pick it up. Sounded like orders are piling in to the dealers; More than anticipated. I wonder if a different topper will be produced after the 500.

Toppers are great fun for those who aren't in the game. Makes everyone feel involved and adds atmosphere. This one's head is crooked, and (2) cabinet screws prevent a flush rest on top. I'll pull it back down to adjust the assembly and block the light escaping from its base. The head/motor noise is quite noticeable and quickly followed by motor sound from the speakers. R2D2 sounds are more plentiful during game-play; More-so when hitting Mystery. It's new and intrusive to what I have been accustomed to. It'll grow on me, I'm sure.

Pinball - SWTopper (resized).jpg
#613 5 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Thanks for the video. So those sounds are coming from the speaker in the topper?

Hmmm. I don't believe there's a speaker in the topper. My ears tell me every sound is sourced from the pin-speakers, however, the servo motor is quite loud in a quiet room.

#618 5 months ago
Quoted from japespin:

Does R2 do anything interactive with the actual gameplay?

It certainly does, but I haven't keyed-in its patterns to describe when it does. There's a flurry of activity when hitting Mystery. I suspect more activity when playing R2 versus Han, Leia or Luke, but require more playtime to be sure. It's fun.

I wonder if the delay was related to how the lights display R2 in 'just the right way'. Perhaps delayed for timing of the new movie release.

#688 5 months ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I was definitely there before. They must have removed it.[quoted image]

Wow. That would have been incredible (an R2D2 projector). I'm curious what I could do to add it;
amazon.com link »

It's hard to believe that Stern would stop at 500 toppers. I suspect another design will follow. For custom work; There must be a node board in the R2D2. Where's the spreadsheet that documents all node board numbers for Stern games?

#690 5 months ago

Had thoughts about using the extra game-blades to create a custom topper. Looks like a custom topper will start at $90 for the board.

I wonder if the green light on the back back of R2's head was originally the projector.

#694 5 months ago

I'm curious if your topper positions flush to the cabinet. Anxious to see inside too.

I can't say the topper assists with game-play, but would be interesting to see a laser pointer spotting an easter-egg shot. Feels like a nuisance more than a helper, however great fun for the on-lookers. Here's a gameplay vid with the topper;

#698 5 months ago
Quoted from dnapac:

So, are there more sounds than just hitting the upper left switch. If it’s the same, the only thing we gain is a rotating R2D2?

Hmmm, I don't recall any other sounds. A variety of R2D2 beeping tones w/light-show (1-Light Red, 1-Light Green, 4-Light Banks White) and a Rotating Head.

Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

That light leak is easy to fix. I would be concerned about the reflection off the glass from the ceiling.

The machine in that vid has Stern HD Glass. Reflections are reduced while the most abundant is sourced from the LCD display. I find extra light helps my game-play too, especially when the strobe-lights flash while running Boba Fett. Powering the other machines certainly makes it easier on my eyes.

#729 5 months ago
Quoted from dnapac:

In your opinion, and I know you bought it, is it worth $775?

No, not worth $775. I thought about this last week and the following summarized my assessment for pinball machine toppers;
- I pre-ordered the Star Wars topper when ordering the machine. It has been a long wait and the price was crazy. It looks like I'll need to pay a little more. I feel no entitlement to the availability of topper. However, some obsessive mechanism drives me to make that purchase. When I sit and think about it; It really seems pointless.
- From a manufacturing perspective; The quantity of toppers sales versus machine sales may have similarities to the quantity of LE machines produced. I suppose the position of the manufacturer is not to create toppers for their customers, but to source revenue from their biggest supporters. If a topper never was and for whatever price when it does, has no relevance for the masses.

The topper is nice and I'm thankful to have it. I still feel the door could be open for another variant in the future. Perhaps something learned from the Black Knight topper will bring about a Vader topper? Who knows.

Quoted from Tseamans:

Well since a game play vid was posted, I won’t add another one. I will show what happened when I received mine.

I see the wobble on your topper too. Looks like the skirt-edge of the heads are not perfectly planed to its rotation.

#730 5 months ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I remember this R2D2 projector back in 2008 that projected DVDs and had a Millennium Falcon remote! I want to say the list price was something like $4K, but it was cool![quoted image][quoted image]

Neat. I wonder what scale they produced it.

I didn't recall R2's projector emitting from the large lens.
Had to pop on the first film to check; R2's projector was from the pivoting lens right of the red light.

#782 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I reached out to Pinball Mod Co about possibly coming up with some sort of decal and he is interested. Agrees it needs something.
He has designed some pretty nice decals and other items for JJP Potc and WOZ.
Not sure best way to do this but if someone get Get measurements of the base or even a template we can get this moving.
Let me know what you think

Yea, was thinking a graphics supplier could create something to spruce the base a bit.

Also, thinking about how R2 is deeply rooted into the base. Almost too deep. Perhaps he'd benefit from a spacer?

#833 5 months ago

A variety of R2's features are completely hidden by the factory metal surround. Perhaps a different surround for R2 would show him off a bit better.

#845 5 months ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

From an engineering perspective, would that node board be able to support a Holographic projector unit? Where would the cable run from the Node board to the projector?

You know, that's interesting; That node board could have been a platform for more than what is provided.

When looking at last years R2 topper from the Stern factory; I cannot see a years worth of change to what we have today. It looks the same. The game code, 1.05, is over a year old too.

#850 5 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

We are at the AMC theatre for the movie. My wife bought me this. $50 for R2, large popcorn and large soda.
I could have saved $700...[quoted image]

By me one too...

1 week later
#909 5 months ago

R2's attract mode is soooo appealing. The machines were on for a few days and R2 was beggin' to go. Sucking us back for another game; He's irresistible.

#911 5 months ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Maybe I missed it but can you post a video of this?

I can post this weekend if it isn't already up. It's his sound that draws you in; The way he chirps and beeps, very much like the game-play.

#919 4 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I just made this video of an hour of game play with a camera on the topper:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/527437553

Your combined play-field angles for streaming are terrific; I like. Perhaps a reduction of the back-glass light % during game-play is beneficial.

1 month later
#1063 3 months ago

Nice write-up Yelobird.

Guess our R2s will need a spec-check. That motor spins, stops, then reverses over and over and over. If those screws are not locked; R2 is doomed.

1 week later
#1093 3 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...And yes...the motor is NOT loud, folks. It's "droid" sounds coming from the game's speakers whenever R2 moves. That almost makes me feel better about the price of this thing.
Almost. But not quite.[quoted image]

Hmmm. I run SW with attract mode on and I was certain the motor was noisy. Let's test. I turned the volume to '0' and let him rip. R2's motor certainly is noisy. It reminds me of a linear actuator from a treadmill. RRRRRRRRRR!

#1096 3 months ago

Yep. It enhances the experience.

2 months later
#1141 30 days ago

Yeah, all of the R2 head movements I've seen are not perfectly planed to the body. I haven't seen or read about one that rubbed the ring; until now.

All of the R2 Toppers should be disassembled, tediously checked and re-assembled before use.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
5,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Satellite Beach, FL
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Metalhead Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rockfordreplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside