20200612_174118 (resized).jpg
15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg
DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider psw757.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

I heard Stern presented a topper to Lucas films and they said the following.

Really? I hope your kidding that they are back at the drawing board.

I want my damn topper - will be awesome on this machine.

Oh - I want rails and blades too damn it!

1 month later
#9 6 years ago

Yeah - no kidding where is the damn topper and shooter!

2 months later
#33 5 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I just heard from Gary. No topper.

Your joking correct?

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Sorry, no topper yet... or no topper at all?

Is this more pinside rumor/speculation or fact?
Two weeks ago Stern said it was coming and there were a bunch of topper settings added into the adjustments of last code update.

#43 5 years ago

I’m calling BS on this... the topper is coming.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

total fact. like totally. just as total as the release of the topper on May 4th. we all know. really. we do.

There was never a credible rumor of the topper being released on 5/4 only the code update which they obviously did a bit of topper coding as seen in all the adjustment settings.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yes, he was talking about Gary Jones and not Gary Stern.

Who the hell is Gary Jones?

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Gary. You know, Gary. As in a buddy of mine who lives in my neighborhood. This guy has a crystal ball and he knows stuff.

Gary the straw man, ok.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The topper is coming, Stern has been joking around with people on Facebook asking about the topper in nearly every post, lol.

Good! This better be the topper of all toppers after making us wait this long.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from raycasual:

Yeah, there's no way this topper is less than $650. If i'm not mistaken, the BM66 was $650 for the batsignal/topper. If there's a ton of programming in that R2 unit I expect $650 minimum. TAKE MY MONEY, DISNEY!

I have no issue spending good money on something legit and worth it.

So yes, Disney/Stern take my money as I consider it already spent!

I just want my f...ing topper, like now!

1 month later
#83 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

$650...I thought it was $499...not that that’s much better.

Marco has a placeholder listing for the topper at $499. Not sure where the $650 rumor came from.

Come on Stern, release this SOB already!

2 months later
#148 5 years ago

The R2-D2 looks fine but the base looks like absolute shit. Wtf!

They couldn’t even put some art on it or Star Wars logo? What a joke.

#150 5 years ago

Someone needs to make a mod for the base!

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

Or wait until Tilttopper comes up with one

He has one and had to stop selling it

#170 5 years ago

I think the R2-D2 is fine and function I’m good with as well.

Maybe the base is waiting for something for the front. If it is final and finished it Doesn’t look like an x-wing to me. Just needs some sort of trim with art, heck even a decal would look better than a flat silver piece of metal.

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

No one is debating that.
I said why are people assuming it's the finished, polished, ready to ship product? Decals would be the last thing to go on.
That one looks to be an in-house model they are testing.

I agree 1000% with this!

However, if this is the final product I sure hope somebody makes something to throw on the front of that.

1 month later
#217 5 years ago

Is this topper going to happen or not?

#219 5 years ago

I have to laugh because there was an ad when I logged in saying ready for the holidays.

Well the holidays are hear and nothing but crickets, they really screwed up on trying to capitalize on this.

Morons!

1 week later
#221 5 years ago

any topper news? didn't even mention it in this weeks Stern of the union did they?

1 week later
#224 5 years ago

I thought the topper was supposed to be available last week?

Any news?

3 months later
#262 5 years ago

Is stern attending this Star Wars show so they can finally release the topper?

#265 5 years ago

Yeah, WTF Stern! Give us the damn topper already.

#268 5 years ago

I’ve been thinking the same thing that what we’ve seen isn’t the final look.

Disney/Lucas whoever at this point is very picky about this type of shit and it will likely be good in the end. If it happens..lol

2 weeks later
#272 5 years ago

guess the April rumor was a bunch of BS

#277 5 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Never be, it will.

lol... that is funny

1 month later
#298 4 years ago

Insert sound of crickets.......................

Seriously, any news?

#301 4 years ago
Quoted from Moortus:

Disney built a 14 acre Star Wars theme park in less time than this topper has been rumored to be coming. *sigh*

Funny, I’m expecting one hell of topper! Lol

#304 4 years ago

I was being sarcastic

#306 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

As I mostly was as well. I hope this topper will feel worth the money they are asking for it. Sadly, it may not feel like it will be to me.

I hear ya...I just want them to friggin release anything already so I can decide to buy or not and move on. Asking too much I guess aren’t I?

1 month later
#320 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

What a slap in the face!!! Munsters clock is out.[quoted image]

Yeah really....if they aren’t going to come through and make the topper they should at least give us the courtesy of telling us already.

Friggin BS already!

3 months later
#329 4 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

It’s kind of shocking no one came out with a SW topper.

Tilt topper did but if I recall someone forced them to stop selling.

3 weeks later
#338 4 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

My bet is Lucas Film / Disney are not approving it. Probably want more money.

It’s been approved and in production finally.

3 weeks later
#379 4 years ago

Until the msrp is known to the public from Stern, this appears to be a cash grab by GAP to sell some before Xmas.

As of last week my distro told me price was the same as previously reported.

Sounds like we will know soon for sure.

#392 4 years ago

Any chance this is a msrp vs street price deal?
I mean the Stern pins themselves usually have a msrp that is higher than the actual street price.

I was in at $500 but not at $750.

#397 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Never been the case for accessories. Also, I bet they add it to the website AFTER the 10% off Black Friday Insider sale is over....

Yeah...I understand that but there have never been limited edition accessories either and there is a first for everything. Some of the other big stern vendors still have it at $499 on their sites and not in stock.

#486 4 years ago

I’d like to see a gameplay video.

There were changes made to the topper since that teaser was put out eons ago and the game received a code update which has settings for the topper in the menus from that update.

#488 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Will this be the new norm? Making a limited amount of toppers for all games going forward?
I thought I saw a limited plaque on an earlier picture.

I think they only make X amount of any topper. This is the first time they are announcing it up front. Now Stern reaps the reward not the distro.

I’m sure Stern saw what some of the Distros did when AS, GB, Beatles and Kiss toppers started getting scarce. All were selling well above original MSRP by various large Stern distros.

I don’t like what’s going on but the market seems to be allowing it, look at all the want adds for these now quietly discontinued toppers.

#494 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

That video is well over a year old. I wouldn’t bank on that being an accurate depiction of the final product. It may be, but I doubt it.

That video was from before the last code came out where the settings for it showed up.

We need a current code video of a machine actually being played to see how “fully integrated” or whatever they claim it to be.

#500 4 years ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

It’s r2d2 his head moves lights go on and off. Can’t imagine it’s that different what am I missing?

Looking at the photo from above the tops of its legs are recessed into the base.

Does it bounce up and down or wobble or anything like that? There is a video scene when playing as r2 I believe when your ball is saved where he is wobbling around.

#505 4 years ago

What is really messed up is nobody has been able to produce current pictures of all sides of the newest version of topper.

For $775 there should be some pictures by now. Wtf?

Is the hologram projected now in the correct spot or not?

The one with the screw head is the older version if I’m not mistaken.

#516 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Thats because Nothing has changed from the front/rear picture or videos already posted over a year ago. Does nothing more nothing less with the exception for a sequential number on the back. All rightfully said this was crazy at $500 now at $750 it's just goofy. My only Guess is they will in short order drop the price back to $500 and All will say "What a Great deal!!" lol Smart play marketing Stern....

I think this is partially incorrect, the were some changes and we have yet to see how it is integrated in code. The original release photos and video from over a year ago was before the coding was in the machine. The last updated added all the topper settings.

That’s all I was getting at, yeah the price sucks, wasn’t the point I was making.

#542 4 years ago

does It wobble or bounce up and down or anything?

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the legs are finished going down into base and looks like there maybe be a slot in leg for up and down movement.

#543 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Your topper is different than the one in the video and the stock Stern photo. The red light in the front of R2 is lit, the cone is in the front instead of an exposed screw. The other thing I noticed is this in the back. Probably nothing, but almost looks like a light or something:[quoted image]

I have to say, at least they made it look aesthetically correct now. There isn’t anything jumping out at me as totally off with exception of no projector.

I wonder if this can be modded for such a thing?

Also, will be interesting to see if the modders come up with something to spruce the base up a bit.

#567 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Is the base of it a cooling fan?
Air conditioning or possibly a dehumidifier?

I thought maybe there was a speaker in their to make sounds independent of the machine.

Does it do anything in attract mode?

#570 4 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

It’s definitely mounted correctly. The wires come out of the baseplate of the topper where the plaque is and has to match up with the hole in the box. The grill in the front, I believe it’s a speaker grill. It does make R2D2 noises it’s not super loud but definitely can be heard. Yes if left alone he does some attract noises.

Have you played a game with it installed or not working properly?

Wondering how much it gets used in game play?

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

It’s definitely mounted correctly. The wires come out of the baseplate of the topper where the plaque is and has to match up with the hole in the box. The grill in the front, I believe it’s a speaker grill. It does make R2D2 noises it’s not super loud but definitely can be heard. Yes if left alone he does some attract noises.

Forgot to ask, how did you get it so early?

#602 4 years ago

Do distros need to buy these from Stern to have in their stock or do they just drop ship from Stern?

#607 4 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

As a distributor you can not drop ship from Stern.

I only asked because everyone here is saying boycott the product to send a msg to Stern about pricing but if the distros are forking the cash out up front they should be bitching about the price too.

#623 4 years ago

Anyone actually have any in stock yet?

#628 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I have only seen GAP advertise they had them in stock, but pretty sure the few they had are sold. My distributor has them on order and he is saying they are in production now. Not sure if any other distributors have inventory yet.

I hate to say it as a SW nut the damn R2 topper is growing on me and I’m disappointed in myself!

#631 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yeah it sucks. I have been in on this for so long, its hard to walk away at this point over $250. Seeing other newer animated (BKSOR) toppers sub $500 make me think this was more of an anomaly than a trend.

It is what it is, SW is a keeper for me.

I’m not sure if this will be an anomaly or not I sure hope it is but don’t forget BKSOR is $429 and there is zero licensing costs associated with it.

#643 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Christ now we need to add mods to a topper? Get me on the waiting list for the mod.

Someone has to finish the job, lol

#668 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwaz:

Can somebody please post some video of R2D2 topper during gameplay

Quoted from thundergod76:

Seems like a working $750 SW topper is more of an anomaly at this point.

Yeah...I’m truly amazed at this point that there hasn’t been a single video or description of how the fully working topper integrates with the game code.

I want one and I think I’m over the hump on spending the $750 but I’m not doing it until there is some feedback.

#675 4 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Yes... A video would be cool. I took the chance and ordered one from GAP... checking every day for a tracking number email.
I took a chance considering this Pin is my Grail pin... No plans on leaving my house unless stolen, caught on fire, or the wife divorces me My pins have survived a 6.5 and 7.1 earthquake this year....
I'm hoping the topper could trigger another code update?? Does someone know if any of the recent Stern Toppers (Walking Dead, Black Knight, Munsters) are controlled by the code or is it only connected for power??

I’m pretty sure on the last SW code update the R2 settings showed up in the service menus.

I would like to see just a hair more polish on things like the ball drain Yoda stuff. More variety would be nice.

Really no complaints otherwise.

#680 4 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

On another note, I remember a setting in the adjustments in SW for an R2D2 topper projector. Did Stern remove that planned function of the topper? If so, that sucks.

Not sure if there was ever a projector setting but other than the motor setting the only other adjustments I see are for topper attract mode interval and attract mode sounds for topper.

If anyone is good at pinball browser you could always open the code up and see if there is any hologram images or video files associated with the topper. If it was in the code update when those settings were implemented it would be there.

#681 4 years ago

On another note, I remember a setting in the adjustments in SW for an R2D2 topper projector. Did Stern remove that planned function of the topper? If so, that sucks.

Not sure if there was ever a projector setting but other than the motor setting the only other adjustments I see are for topper attract mode interval and attract mode sounds for topper.
If anyone is good at pinball browser you could always open the code up and see if there is any hologram images or video files associated with the topper. If it was in the code update when those settings were implemented it would be there.

#684 4 years ago

I was definitely there before. They must have removed it.[quoted image]

Interesting

#686 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Well it sucks if they removed it and had planned that feature and then dropped it. That feature alone would push this topper to very innovative and quite unique. It would also justify the price. The license alone does not IMHO.

I agree.

Are we certain there is no projector or internals for one?

#702 4 years ago

Yep...thx for the video, many of us were anxious to see it!

#709 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Code won't help this thing unless there's hidden projectors or mechs inside the thing that aren't activated yet, but I'm confident there's nothing special inside it. Unfortunately I think the long wait didn't pay off on this. If this thing was about half the price, then it would be a maybe. Would I still want one as is? Probably. Would I buy it at 750? Probably not.

Only one way to know what’s inside and that is to pop the damn dome off!

Being that there was at one point a projector setting in the code, anyone who has pinball browser want to see if there is anything coded projector or hologram? I’m guessing it would be under images or video.

#713 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

You're exactly right. However, if it actually did anything special, wouldn't stern have made sure to list these special abilities in the description of this thing? You're right though, pop it open and look inside. Bet it's a couple gears and a node board is all we'd find unfortunately. Would have loved to hear what the projection settings were originally intended on being.

Sterns description is just a blanket statement of fully integrated which can mean anything.

It would just be interesting to see what is actually in the code on pinball browser.

I did this a while back for either ACDC or Rolling Stones to have a look at some music and sure enough there were tracks that were obviously paid for by Stern to use but were never implemented in the game.

I’m guessing if there was an image or hologram it would be there and would be obvious since none of us have seen it elsewhere in game play.

#717 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Is it just me or is there a wobble in your R2D2? Wobble is probably the wrong word, as it’s turning it looks like it’s not level as it turns, could just be my eyes.

I was asking this over the weekend when someone posted some pics.

Are you referring to just the head or the whole body? The way the body and legs go into the base it seems like maybe it would wobble or have ability to do so whether mechanically or when nudging machine.

On another note, the base definitely needs something to spruce it up!

#727 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

I already made arrangements to have mine airbrushed with the same weathered look like the death star and millennium falcon, once it arrives. Can't wait!!

Sweet, post pics please!

#741 4 years ago

For the few owners so far, what’s the consensus on the base?

Look ok or does it need something?

#743 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

it's just okay.
It needs a better paint job or maybe the front cut outs should have something other than just the inset metal.

It’s too plain being a visible transition from the head of machine to R2. Just my opinion....

If it’s intended to be the body of the x-wing it needs some decals or markings. Custom weathering is probably a bit unrealistic for most of us.

#746 4 years ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

What's the guess are all 500 a instant sell out, or are we going to see these on market until next xmas.
I'm thinking people will snag them up and hope the value goes up and a year from now people will be trying to sell them for what they paid.Its a cool looking topper but not one person has said this topper is worth 750. But dang why does it have to be R2D2, he or it (what do you call a robot ? ) the best thing about Star wars. This link proves it.

That’s a great video!

#747 4 years ago

Anyone know if we are hearing all the programmed R2 sounds even without the topper or does the addition of the topper somehow include additional r2 dialogue from the code since the game knows it’s plugged in?

Is the r2 screaming sound in there?

#752 4 years ago

I reached out to Pinball Mod Co about possibly coming up with some sort of decal and he is interested. Agrees it needs something.

He has designed some pretty nice decals and other items for JJP Potc and WOZ.

Not sure best way to do this but if someone get Get measurements of the base or even a template we can get this moving.

Let me know what you think

#756 4 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Nice, let’s do mods to cover up scratches and dents for your band new toppers. Stern can save on returns.

I didn’t suggest mods to cover scratches and dings just lackluster appearance of base of the topper.

How is it different from spending close to 10k on a machine and then adding toys, blades and other non functional shit to the game?

That’s right, it isn’t different.

#759 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I actually disagree with this idea. There are plenty of licensed SW products out that aren't exactly like the movies. In fact, I have the R2 toy that projects leiah on the wall, and it moves, beeps, hops, and even carries a beer around for me all for $150. It's the exact same size as the topper as well. This goes to prove what could have been.
I really get tired of giving stern these free passes by blaming Disney. Look at the original art on the game. Everyone blamed Disney. Wrong, stern WAS able to obviously use different art, but obviously chose the original easy way out. People blame Disney for the lack of playfield imagination and toys. I highly doubt Disney, maker of magical things, said no to any cool magnets, or better toys. It's stern and cost cutting. Jjp made a hell of a game with another huge Disney license, and a kick ass topper along with it. It's stern.

JJP made a hell of a game as is Stern SW but POTC would be way better and over the top if JJP got the video and music assets like Stern did for Star Wars.
Just my opinion on POTC of course. It’s a great game and the music is exceptional for being original but to not have the iconic theme song is mind boggling. One can hope it can get added as an attract mode feature someday!

#760 4 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

I knew that, just making a point about what’s the new normal now.

I hear ya, it sucks.

If I’m a buyer of this topper I’m sure as hell going to try my best to make it look how I hoped it would. That part is easy.

#765 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I really don't care if people buy it or not. Spend your money how you want. I just wish this thing didn't look like a child's school project. Why are these decals both cut and applied so poorly (and why are they even using decals instead if a high quality, painted mold)? These photos posted show a severe lack of design and craftsmanship on Stern's part.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
And is that stenciled Sharpie for the black lines?
[quoted image]
For comparison, here is the Sphero of the same area...
[quoted image]

Wow...looks like the LE plaque is stuck on with double sided tape as well.

Can’t it easily be moved to the front? Lol

#769 4 years ago

Gives new meaning to hand drawn art I guess.

#774 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

If you look at R2 in the x-wing there is really not much you can do to dress up the base except to maybe make it looks a little war torn. Then you might have to paint R2 to looks a little tattered too. To me, I will be leaving it as it comes. If someone comes out with an interesting sticker, I might try it, Still kind of skeptical since all that is in front of R2 is the window frame.[quoted image]

After seeing that picture you have a valid point.

Wonder what the heck the shape of that base is supposed resemble because it clearly isn’t a x-wing.

#777 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The front of the base would basically be a cross section. The edges of the base are angled similar to the x-wing...

Maybe if viewing from the side of the fuselage but we are looking at him from the front.

#780 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The droid builders have what they call the 10 feet rule. Looks great while standing at the game. No need to zoom in on the hand built close ups. Ha.

Funny thing is... this applies to many things we buy.

#787 4 years ago

Anyone receive a topper?

Heard there were new builds on the line last week and the ones that have popped up we’re from a very small first run. Hopefully they addressed some of the issues with fit and finish.

#791 4 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I received #91 today. The metal base does not lie flat to the top of the pinball but it cannot be seen from the player position. I tried a game as R2-D2, it integrated nicely. No need to video that since it was already done. I did video turning it on the first time. Partly to provide a video of the proper sequence of events when the topper is first installed and the nodes are loaded. And also to film in case it did not go smoothly I would have video to show what happened. Luckily it installed properly.

Is the motor always that loud?

Any video of what it does during attract mode?

#796 4 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

The motor is loud. I’ll do a video.

Can you hear it during gameplay?

#801 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I think he looks pretty good. From the player position you would never notice the stuff we see on the zoomed in photos. Yeah I know we should get more....but it’s still a pretty awesome topper.
I still think a rubber gasket would be good for the base.

Rubber gasket or thin foam weatherstrip would even work.

#811 4 years ago

I’m wondering if it’s the motor that is making the noise or if this spins sort of like the disc on potc where there are plastic teeth/gear that are making the noise.

If it’s a plastic on plastic gear noise that can be reduced with a light coating of lithium grease.

On potc there was also a mod made replacing the plastic gear with a rubberized version.

Will be interesting to see the guts under the dome of r2.

#813 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Even if you put a rubber gasket underneath, that would stop light leak but not wound. There are big holes in the top of the base so sound would come out there.

You referring to the holes that leds are mounted in or some other holes?

Maybe someone can post some pics of where the light leak is coming from other than around base bottom.

#816 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I think he is just saying the gasket will solve the light leak but not the motor noise.

I see, misunderstood.

#821 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

R2D2 #58 reporting for duty. Since I wanted to address the light leaking between the black baseplate and the grey shroud, I installed some weather stripping just behind where the grey shroud rests, to try to block the light bleed. Worked pretty well. I included a photo of the weather stripping installed before I reassembled it.
Also included photos of the node board and the other board. There are two boards in this. I am sure the motor is under R2, but I didn't want to mess with that. Topper works great. Lots of additional sounds throughout the game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good! Thanks for posting that.

So to be clear...your hearing additional sounds after installing topper that weren’t previously there?
I guess installing the topper and turning it on must unpack some additional coding or enables additional sound bytes it to be active. This might be a first.

#822 4 years ago

Forgot...since you took it apart any thoughts on the noise?

Can it be dampened some how or is it really not an issue?

If you can can you try to capture what it does in attract mode since there is a separate setting for that?

#825 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I don't think the noise is an issue. You certainly notice it, but it goes with the game, and I am sure you get used to it. I would expect to notice some noise if I had a droid on top on my pinball machine! The motor is under the R2 head, so I don't see a realistic way reduce the noise without doing something with the motor, which I am not about to do!
I usually have the volume of my games at a decent level, so I guess if you had the volume super low, it would be more out of place. But why do that? Pinball machines are loud.

I agree

#829 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

looks like a easy & good solution. it's just a shame that people that are shelling out $750+ for this have to take matters into their own hands to fix what shouldn't have been an issue in the first place

I agree with your point of view and unfortunately this seems to be a really common theme in this hobby from mods all the way to subpar quality of build on machines.

At least it’s a easy remedy!

#830 4 years ago

Oh and thx @kermit24! Your photos put me over the edge and took the plunge today!

#842 4 years ago
Quoted from That370Z:

#55 arrived today with a nice little scuff mark and some crooked decals. After installing the topper on my game and then powering it up, R2 will not move. It lights up and that’s about it, so much for Stern’s quality control!
When I was at Disney World last month, Galaxy’s Edge had a “Droid Depot” where you build your own droid for $199 (+tax). It even comes with a remote which allows you to steer it around, have it make noises, light up, and spin its head around. There are no cheap misaligned decals, no scuff marks on any of the pieces, and overall made with better quality materials. All for about 1/3 the price of Stern’s topper!
Another thing that got to me, why would the plaque be displayed backwards?! Who are we showing off the plaque to, the wall? So much for a limited edition topper, you wouldn’t even know![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’ve been wondering about the LE plaque as well.

I’m going to go on a limb that it was an afterthought and was stuck on after the design of base was made. It looks like there may not be a area flat enough or big to put on front, other than the vent area.

Think it can be moved elsewhere?

What is the vent for? Cooling of motor or lighting?

#846 4 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

You know, that's interesting; That node board could have been a platform for more than what is provided.
When looking at last years R2 topper from the Stern factory; I cannot see a years worth of change to what we have today. It looks the same. The game code, 1.05, is over a year old too.

There was absolutely a projector planned, it was in the settings menu to enable it. There is also the famous line from Leia in the game to Obi and it really doesn’t have anything to do with what is happening in the game.
Just random and makes me wonder if that would be when the image was to be projected?

#865 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

R2D2 topper is in the house! Super easy installation! To be honest, he looks a little smaller than I thought he would be from the pictures.
No scuffs and the stickers look great on mine so clearly some variability in the installation of them.
I installed a strip of foam tape like @kermit24 posted earlier - Easy add (remove 4 screws) zero light bleed.
Motor noise isn't a problem for me either. Sounds like R2D2. There is motor noise from the speakers as well.
FYI - there are R2D2 settings to control how often he activates in attract mode and some others. Default is every 20 minutes. I bumped mine up to every 5 just to see more of his actions.

Just wondering if the attract mode has any video playing simultaneously when his movements are active.

#870 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Took my son to see Skywalker last night but they did not have the R2 special
I wish there was a way to order one of those.

Any idea what franchise of theatre was doing that? AMC, Regal, movie tavern? They all do different specials on launches.

#876 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

My topper arrived today. Works great with no problems out of the box. It looks, moves, and sounds like R2D2. I personally think it is much better quality than the popcorn container and the best Stern pinball topper I've seen. Not Rolex or Louis Vuitton quality but I'm happy with it.[quoted image]

Looks great! Can’t wait to get mine.

#900 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Yes I really like the random R2 sounds now in my game room. It defaults to attract sounds and movement every 20 minutes. I set mine to 15. I like the main theme music too but if you leave that on in attract mode it just plays way too often and interrupts whatever I’m doing. So I have music attract off but I have attract clips and topper attract sounds and movement on and it’s awesome.

Are you saying you can’t have the main attract music and the r2 attract set to an interval where they don’t interfere with one another?

Ideally I would like both active.

1 week later
#924 4 years ago
Quoted from Nickbtx:

Number 316 was delivered safely today, which is remarkable considering the condition of the carton! There's been a lot of talk about "stickers" not being straight or what have you. I don't know if they changed the process, but I don't believe mine has any stickers on it. I'm seeing blue paint with perhaps a lighter primer underneath it and a hard line around the edge where the painted area was masked off. I see tiny areas where they ran a razor over the seam to keep the mask from taking the paint with it. I'm even seeing very small areas where blue paint bled under the mask (I'm using a jewel's loupe). Yes, some of the lines look like they are done with a fine point marker and a few lines aren't perfectly straight, but this thing took a lot of work and looks great!

Pictures?

#926 4 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

That’s going to cause a stir. If they’re improving the later runs of this thing get ready.

Highly doubt they are doing anything different. Since they are hand made they likely are getting better at building them though!

#929 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Some people posted some pics earlier that looked like stickers (e.g. post #840, #764). I'm not sure if these were some kind of prototypes or early production versions as mine also appears to be painted also. In one image the rectangle that represents logic display seemed crooked although it looks fine on mine, and this is on the back of the droid so not as many pictures of that part have been posted.
Strangely in the version that was first seen on the Stern tour before it was announced, as well as some early pictures the holo projector on the front seems to have been replaced with just a screw. The misassembled version also seems to be shown on some distributor websites which is unfortunate. The dome attaches to the underlying metal structure at three points including at the holo projector that acts as a nut.

Are you saying on the new versions there is a nut/screw instead of a fake projector type housing?
Whole thing is confusing with all the variations.

#940 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Here is a picture with the dome off the topper. As you can see there is a metal ring and the dome attaches at 3 points. Some of these points are just threaded screw holes and the screw is painted to match the color of the the part of the dome it goes through. In the prong facing us there is a threaded post, the projector cone is a nut that goes on this post. It is sitting just to the right of the topper in this picture.[quoted image]

That makes sense now, when someone said the projector is a but I was like really? A visible hex nut or something and our little brains need to imagine its intended to be a projector...lol

The projector cone screws on to post and functions as a decorative nut. Thanks for the photos. My topper should be here today!

#953 4 years ago

#206 finally in the house!

Everything looks great and working and contrary to what someone previously said about him continually spinning, in 4 games played only happened once.

8AE2D4BB-189B-4234-8A38-6E8A6017751E (resized).jpeg8AE2D4BB-189B-4234-8A38-6E8A6017751E (resized).jpegDC5A2BDC-4FC3-4EBF-830E-56D2A189C02D (resized).jpegDC5A2BDC-4FC3-4EBF-830E-56D2A189C02D (resized).jpegFCEAFD44-31A3-41C8-9A57-4C9C08D3C6A5 (resized).jpegFCEAFD44-31A3-41C8-9A57-4C9C08D3C6A5 (resized).jpeg
#954 4 years ago

Something I noticed after having this thing on for a couple hours now is that in addition to adding a bunch of new sounds in game play and r2 sounds in attract mode I noticed a minimum of 3-4 new video clips in attract mode. I’ve owned it for over 2 years and am certain I’ve never seen them before.

#956 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

People keep seeming to beg for pinball DLC. Maybe it finally happened, just at 30 times the price anyone expected. Stern would hardly be the first company to hide code in a released product that only does anything if you connect an expensive peripheral accessory.

It’s the first topper I’ve seen when you first install it almost appear to do a code update and node board update so there is either code embedded in the topper or plugging it in unlocks material that was already in the 1.05 update.

There is quite a bit of additional sounds both in game and attract and I keep seeing new video material, quite interesting.

It is overpriced though and based on other toppers I think $499 would have been a reasonable target but Stern knows the market and these do seem to be flying off the shelf at $775 so who really knows.....

2 weeks later
#1013 4 years ago

Only complaint, wish they put the two vertical square lights to the left of center rather than a decal.

1 week later
#1031 4 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Does anyone know if the software that was supposed to drive the projector that was supposed to be in the topper still exist? If so, what was supposed to drive the projector.
Also, I'm baffled as to why they didn't add a few more LEDs to light up R2's larger eye and some other locations on his some.
One final thing ... Is anyone working on a background for this topper? Something that might look cool is the background they used for that mail order figure platform Kenner sold in the late 70s.

I think it would be very easy to add lights if wanted. Big hollow dome to work with.

#1033 4 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

Looks like I should have ordered my topper from GAP instead of Colorado Game Exchange.... still not word from them on shipment

Cancel the order, as of a week or so ago Cointaker had several in stock here in PA.

#1036 4 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Mine arrived this week. So far, it’s great.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I recommend installing the small weather strip to eliminate the light leakage, although minimal it is noticeable in dark room.

#1041 4 years ago
Quoted from ribbo835:

Yeah I have checked the menu and still nothing. The videos I have seen on here R2 head moves side to side but mine nothing but only every 5 mins during gameplay its head rotates 360

That doesn’t sound right to me. R2 head should go back and forth a bit and he spins 360 degrees when extra ball awarded or special is achieved.

Try tilting and see if his had goes back and forth during the warning.

1 week later
#1073 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Got my topper. Works fine except when R2 tries to do a 360 (at the end of the game and in certain parts of the gameplay). He gets stuck and I'm stuck looking at the green light on the back of his head while the motor keeps whirring until the programming tells him to do something else. Then he returns to the home position. Anybody seen this or posted a solution? I'll take him apart if I absolutely have to...I mean, that IS why I spent $750 to get him, right?
PS - Everyone complains about the loud motor, but I actually think that's a sound effect because...you know...he's a droid and all.

I agree with you on the motor sound, there are even times where it seems like the sound is amplified and put out through the speakers as well.

3 months later
#1171 3 years ago

Love mine as well.

Had to laugh...the term pinball and value are a bit of a oxymoron if you ask me.

#1180 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

That is the exact point I was making. Every single response started with Love or I love, I hope we can agree those are subjective opinions. D-Gottlieb was clearly being objective in his opinion. Objectively its hard to argue this topper is worth the money, subjectively of course it is. You for one have nothing to get defensive about I was simply pointing out you are both right. If your going to disagree at least use the same type of argument.

There is no value or really anything worth the money in this hobby...it’s all overpriced but it’s fun.

There is nothing subjective or objective about it and that isn’t an emotional opinion. It’s probably why every single non pinhead I’ve had over thinks I’m f’ing nuts.

3 years later
#1273 10 months ago
Quoted from SerenityNow:

Just put my topper on and R2D2 is not facing the right direction. How do I fix this?
Thanks in advance
[quoted image]

How did you get the weathered finish on it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider psw757.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper?tu=psw757 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.