20200612_174118 (resized).jpg
15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg
DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#131 5 years ago

I like it, was about what I was expecting. But then I wasn't expecting much from something designed to sit on top of a pinball machine. It's R2D2. His head rotates, and he beeps (which is about 90% of what he does in the movies). What do people expect? 3D hologram projection system that projects Leia on top of the pinball glass saying "Help me pinball player, you're my only hope!"? Not that that wouldn't be awesome.

1 year later
#514 4 years ago

I'm probably getting one. Worst case scenario I could probably sell it for $500 in a couple of years. I get the 'no one buy this, teach Stern a lesson' thing, but I am not in the hobby to change the world (and good luck convincing everyone), just want to have fun. What isn't fun about having am interactive rotating, beeping R2 head on top of your Star Wars pin?

If fiscal responsibility and "worth the money" were my primary pinball concerns I would only be playing on location and investing my money in a nice guaranteed investment and laughing at all the crazy people spending tens of thousands on their collections.

#577 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Wow it looks like absolute garbage. I mean even worse than GB.

Love the buy buy buy on this from the distro's. Again I can't technically fault then but man - waking up and having to push this garbage on people would make me rethink what I was doing. I blame Stern too for putting these folks in that position. Super greedy..... And then dummies buy it so here we are again in the vicious cycle.

It is just a toy that sits on top of another toy. Why get worked up about it? I get people not liking the topper, not liking the price, and commenting on it. Don't understand the need to insult other people who feel differently.

#582 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

If you're decisions impacted only you, sure - do what you want and waste your money. The problem is if there are enough people like you, buy all of these dumb overpriced toppers and send the wrong message to these companies, we all pay the price (literally) as new items will follow the same path (overpriced, limited quantity, etc).

So yeah - I'll speak up when I think companies are checking to see how stupid we are as a community and folks like you proudly say - really stupid....here's my money.

I honestly don't care if you think the topper is stupid, that I am stupid for buying it, all the rest of your overblown angst. Don't need your or anyone else's support and approval for how I spend my cash. I do find your stance kind of funny though. Looking at your collection history you are a bigger part of the pinball hobby price explosion than I could ever be.

Just not sure why you feel the need to insult other people. To each their own I guess.

4 months later
#1133 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Or it’s the drive gear as written up in post 1062. Still works great.

That is definitely something that has to be checked, as it was a problem on mine once I took it apart.

My guess is most of the people who have the issue where the motor doesn't work at all have had the motor control board short as described by John_I. On mine the heat shrink on the wiring wasn't done properly on the motor and had slipped off the terminals completely. Wouldn't be a problem normally because those terminals shouldn't be anywhere near anything metal, but if the motor starts turning in that clamp, which can happen if the drive gear is fubared, all bets are off.

I had Stern ship a new motor control board, and new motor just in case. I replaced everything, made sure the drive gear was right, the position of the motor was correct, terminals were protected just in case, and everything has been great.

Quoted from John_I:

Inspect the leads on the LED sockets and make sure the heat shrink is shrunk down and has adequate coverage and turn/bend the leads so the are further from contacting the case or anything else metal.

I didn't check this when I had mine apart. Deciding if I want to take it apart again...

1 month later
#1156 3 years ago

The QC on the assembly of these things was terrible. And it is super expensive. Not sure how much of that is licensing or Stern cash grabbing but it still sucks.

On the plus side, it is pretty cool once it is up and working. I've spent more money on worse things.

1 week later
#1175 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

In fact, to me it is a joke that it costs more than 100 bucks.

Has a full node board, motor control board, motor, multiple leds, metal base and metal ring/sleeve for the rotation. $750 is too much, but I think at the $499 price it would've been reasonable. Not great but compared to what some completely plastic non-interactive pinball toppers sell for, reasonable.

$100.00 is just trolling.

2 months later
#1234 3 years ago

Definitely take it apart before installing. Three major things to check.

1) That the roller on the motor shaft is positioned correctly and that the set screw is tight. There is a great detailed post in this thread on how to check. This can cause the head not spinning/grinding issue.

2) Make sure the strap clamp holding the motor steady is tight. If it starts rotating in that clamp it can short on some screws and blowout the motor control board. This can be the cause of the head not spinning/grinding issue, and then the head not moving at all issue. At this point also check the motor position. The shaft is offset, the motor should be positioned so the roller is against the ring that rotates the head, but not so tight against it that the motor is leaning in the bracket. This is important especially if you tried out the topper and already had the motor rotating issue.

3) Check that none of the flasher lamp sockets are contacting or close to contacting the metal cover, can cause lighting issues.

All in all you are looking at about 15 mins of prevention to save a lot of potential headaches.

EDIT: Link to Yelobird's post on the motor shaft:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper/page/22#post-5461847

4 months later
#1250 3 years ago

Take it apart. Most likely suspect is the roller is loose on the motor shaft and is now blocking full rotation. Unplug the topper until you fix this unless you want to completely fubar it. Look in this thread for Yelobirds post on taking it apart and what to look for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 26.50
$ 10.95
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper?tu=paul_8788 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.