Topic Stats

• 1,159 posts
  • 204 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by PinballCharlie
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 226 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
20200521_090609 (resized).jpg
Droid2 (resized).jpg
20200418_161305 (resized).jpg
SW-TOPb (resized).jpg
20200309_130701a (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
8D970173-A5A4-4DBE-BCBC-6F1FD87A8EF1 (resized).jpeg
85C7846B-6EEF-4A0D-B1B8-A74B45DD0DA8.jpeg
44A712DE-AE6D-4746-B954-F943537CEA6B.jpeg
20200216_114450_resized (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kermit24.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 2 years ago

Topper and shooter rod are pending approval. Blades are approved and for sale.

1 month later
#46 2 years ago

15 new posts in the Topper thread got me excited. Thanks guys.

4 months later
#138 1 year ago

How about another video with the beeps happening?

#139 1 year ago

Are those slots below R2 a speaker?

#147 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

YES!!! Possibly for some super awesome add ons or upgrades in the future?!?!?!?!
Or maybe just heat vents like everything else electronic.

Yes they are vents for Levi’s hot air.

#152 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Someone needs to make a mod for the base!

The base is very uninspired I agree.

#164 1 year ago

I think overall the topper is good. R2 looks good, moves and is game interactive. Could the base be better? Sure. But it won’t be hard to dress it up. I bet modfather already has something ready.

#176 1 year ago

So is this thing on sale yet?

#178 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Haven't heard anything yet. Here's hoping Stern's adding some type of cover to the base versus the grey plastic that has currently been shown.

But NOT this time brother. It is what it is.

yoda-hope-meme (resized).jpg
1 week later
#181 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

I wonder why the reduction to $400? I hope they didn't have to take away functionality to make Disney happy...

It looked interactive in the video. Maybe they think the volume of sales will allow them to hit economy of scale on this.

#186 1 year ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Why is $400 a price drop? Only Ghostbusters was $500. They went back to $400 after GB.

Nope. Game of Thrones was $500 with the moving dragon.

#187 1 year ago

It’s totally crazy that I am at the point where a $400 topper for a pinball machine is a “deal”..... a toy for a toy. But I’ll still get it because I love this game and Star Wars.

#190 1 year ago

Just heard from GAP. The price was incorrrect and should have been listed at $500

#194 1 year ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

GOT topper was before GB.
So the price had already dropped with Areosmith and GOTG toppers, so nothing new.

Aerosmith, GOTG, and IMDN are all $400 toppers. Unfortunately Star Wars is $500, like GB and GOT.

#196 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Hope that photo is the proto.
Otherwise the $500 bucks had better include a sharpie to color that base black.

I think it is supposed to be x-wing gray.

#199 1 year ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

You're getting confusing.
An earlier post said that it was going to be $400, and that it represented a price drop.
My response was that $400 wasn't a price drop, because the last topper, Areosmith, was $400.
Then you jumped in, and now I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

GAP, a distributor in the Chicago area had posted the topper for $400 initially in error. Everyone expected it to be $500 because any Stern topper with moving parts had been $500. Error corrected, it’s $500 as expected. Not that we like that...

#206 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Still hoping there's some changes to the production version of the topper. R2's main blue light better at least light up...

I thought it did in the video?

3 months later
#248 1 year ago
A706D93A-A65E-42A6-B549-1266A5D327D8 (resized).png
#250 1 year ago
Quoted from rs812:

Must have run out of that particular phillips screw.

I highly doubt that photo will be the actual topper. I think it’s part of the reason why it wasn’t approved.

2 weeks later
#260 1 year ago

Topper is April. I checked in with Gameroom guys today and they said it’s still tracking April.

Two years in the making this will go down as the best topper of ALL TIME!

1 month later
#274 1 year ago

Due out by end of April last I heard. I will ask the distributor again.

#276 1 year ago

Not an encouraging response from GameRoom Guys. Basically they said they have no further into at this time and "we do completely understand if you want to cancel". Ugh. Off to Stern's Facebook. Lets all ask at the same time!

1 week later
#291 1 year ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I cant figure out why it is taking so long. Hard to imagine they cant figure out licensing - I have been to Disneyworld, they will sell anything.....

They have been saying for at least 3 months that Disney has approved it. It is the production itself that is the hold up.

#293 1 year ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

waiting for the stern of the union address to hear yet another delay announcement for this topper

There is where I may cancel. If this SOTU is the exact same...

2 months later
#319 10 months ago

What a slap in the face!!! Munsters clock is out.

7F905880-82AA-4789-9440-AA5E8433481B (resized).png
3 months later
#335 6 months ago

Believe it to be true.

3 weeks later
#344 6 months ago

Star Wars topper has been in testing for over 2 years. No rush job here

#355 6 months ago

This is complete bullshit if true. Trying to crate scarcity since they are 2.5 years late on the product and they fear that demand may not be there for a full production run. Such a slap in the face that they would try to bend people over like this.

#360 6 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Is this your first interaction with Stern or somthing?

They have never tried to make an LE numbered topper at an insane price. So stupid. They would have sold a ton at $500.

#363 6 months ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I'm a certified Stern fanboy. I adore my Star Wars pro and think the haters are crazy. But...but...I got nothing here. They done lost their minds.
I mean...I'm happy for them finally bringing it to market. I'm sure they didn't ask for these delays and it drove them nuts. Crap happens. But...yeah I still got nothing.

Exactly. I am generally pretty happy with Stern. But this is complete bullshit and they deserved to be called out on it. Not happy.

#365 6 months ago

At this point the only hope here is that GAP is wrong on this. It wouldn’t be the first time they have been wrong, they said the topper was coming and pre sold it for $500 over a year ago and said it would be in time for the holidays........2018.

#369 6 months ago

So gap is trying to sell a $750 topper and the best Mike can do is a photo of it backwards on the carpet, not plugged into a machine? How about a video, better photos, description of what it does, or SOMETHING?

#393 6 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any chance this is a msrp vs street price deal?
I mean the Stern pins themselves usually have a msrp that is higher than the actual street price.
I was in at $500 but not at $750.

Never been the case for accessories. Also, I bet they add it to the website AFTER the 10% off Black Friday Insider sale is over....

#400 6 months ago

A year ago, I ordered the topper from Game Room Guys for $500. I ended up canceling the order a few months ago. Wonder if they would have honored the price?

#402 6 months ago

Maybe we can make our own topper with this?

https://www.gameroomguys.com/Stern-Pinball-Topper-Node-Board-12

#405 6 months ago

All these alternatives are not for me. I'd rather have nothing there. Needs to be game interactive.

#409 6 months ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

I’m in, 6 months from now these things will be 1k on eBay. This is Licensed Star Wars, and original trilogy, it will only get better with age, no matter how many people hate it. Will look amazing on my CE. People said the same thing about Ghostbuster topper, but I’m still getting asked if I will sell mine.

I don't hate this topper. I hate that it costs $250 more than the original price it was preordered at and they are limiting them to create a FOMO and perceived scarcity. I doubt they have sold 500 of any topper they have made.

#414 6 months ago

How much is the BKSOR topper? $429?

#423 6 months ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Completely agree

We have not even seen the front of the topper. GAP isn’t exactly selling this thing.

#449 6 months ago

zmeny your photo looks different than the gap photo. There is a screw where the projector cone is on the other photo. Is that a stock stern photo?

008C9D74-C7DA-4987-B3FE-42F403B9B93E (resized).jpegBB9D4804-0186-430E-9FF7-BFECD0FAEB3C (resized).png
#452 6 months ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

It’s just the back vs front. Crappy either way.

Maybe, but they are clearly not the same topper.

286568E4-8998-4BB1-A8ED-51EC0E39F054 (resized).jpeg
#453 6 months ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

LOL, That's what I just payed for a 75" 4k TV.

Yep. That’s 5 million yield vs 500.

#478 6 months ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

Received it today, the base is metal and quite substantial.[quoted image]

Fire it up! Let’s see a video of it in action.

#492 5 months ago

That video is well over a year old. I wouldn’t bank on that being an accurate depiction of the final product. It may be, but I doubt it. None of the lights on R2 are lit.

#507 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

What is really messed up is nobody has been able to produce current pictures of all sides of the newest version of topper.
For $775 there should be some pictures by now. Wtf?
Is the hologram projected now in the correct spot or not?
The one with the screw head is the older version if I’m not mistaken.

Yeah totally. At least one owner is in this thread, yet we have no decent photos and no video of the production topper in action.

#523 5 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The Ghostbusters topper now looks like a "good" deal compared to the Star Wars topper after the full reveal. With all of the code added to the GB topper in the final update it's the true LE topper lol. Time to make a plaque for it!
[quoted image]

I bet they made 200-300 of these. More LE.

#530 5 months ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

Alright, full disclosure, I haven’t posted a video yet because I received it with what appears to be a bad motor. I’m working with Stern to get it resolved. It may be something simple on my end I have to fix. We are still working on it.
I did have to go to work that day but was hoping someone else would have posted a video by now. Anyway, I will post multiple angle pics, and I do like how it looks.
Yes I know, you pay this much money for something you shouldn’t have problems like this. I get it. I’m hoping mine is a singular experience. Stern has always been amazing with their customer service with me. I truly believe they will remedy the issue. It also helps I live only about 40 min away from them.

Make sure you plug the cat 5 cable into the empty jack on the bottom of the MPU board, not the top. And the power goes in the bottom of the backbox area. Once you plug it in and power it up, it should update the node board. That’s how my BatSignal worked.

#537 5 months ago

Your topper is different than the one in the video and the stock Stern photo. The red light in the front of R2 is lit, the cone is in the front instead of an exposed screw. The other thing I noticed is this in the back. Probably nothing, but almost looks like a light or something:

FE2B3D8C-7FFB-43DE-AC84-FAB5853E78D8 (resized).jpeg
#571 5 months ago

Appreciate the photos and effort, but since it’s broken, looks like we need to wait for pinsider #2 to get this for a decent assessment. tseamans what is the latest on the issue with it?

#585 5 months ago

When you think about the Black Knight topper at $429, that is almost proof that Star Wars is an anomaly for whatever reason and that this may not be a trend. The LE model is still a head scratcher for me. That’s what irks me more than anything.

#586 5 months ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

lets just say there is a great market opportunity on toppers in this hobby.
I'm sure someone can make a ten Times better topper, at half the price.
I've said it before, we need more smart and Creative people in this hobby.
Hackers etc. Get more young people in this hobby and issues such as this and f. Ex. Beatles game only having a few songs,
will solve themselfs.

It really doesn’t matter how smart and creative the community is, they will never be able to freely sell a Star Wars topper with the assets we know from the franchise on the market. Same goes for Batman and any other highly protected IP. Also, I want a game interactive topper. Not something that is tied to a couple of flashers, but truly interactive and triggered in the code.

Very hard for an independent folks to pull that off and not be shut down.

#590 5 months ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

I pre-payed for this one when ordering the machine. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough and required a bit more to complete the purchase. I drove in tonight to pick it up. Sounded like orders are piling in to the dealers; More than anticipated. I wonder if a different topper will be produced after the 500.
Toppers are great fun for those who aren't in the game. Makes everyone feel involved and adds atmosphere. This one's head is crooked, and (2) cabinet screws prevent a flush rest on top. I'll pull it back down to adjust the assembly and block the light escaping from its base. The head/motor noise is quite noticeable and quickly followed by motor sound from the speakers. R2D2 sounds are more plentiful during game-play; More-so when hitting Mystery. It's new and intrusive to what I have been accustomed to. It'll grow on me, I'm sure.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the video. So those sounds are coming from the speaker in the topper?

#599 5 months ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I try to put toppers on all of my pins. Hundreds of dollars spent on silly light up decorations on top of an expensive toy. It's probably not the best thing to spend money on. But...spending 8, 9, 10k+ on a toy is probably not much better.
IMO toppers are ALL overpriced for what you actually get, but I still buy them. Because I like them. They look great up there!
GOTG only lights up (400). TWD too (400). DP at least has a spinning thumb (400). BM66 projector is really cool (250 I think). Although the BM66 Villians topper only lights up and costs 600! (I didn't buy this one).
So... even though I feel that the new SW one looks like the base is unfinished, AND I feel that having LE badges on toppers is a really silly idea, I DO think that a moving, light up, beeping R2D2 looks really cool up there. If I still had my SW I'm sure I would want this topper. It's only 150 more that the Villians topper. At least it moves!
We (the pinheads) need to remember that we spend LOTS of money on toys. LOTS! We shouldn't judge guys because they spend more money on lights or mods or decorations. And we definitely shouldn't judge guys for their decision to spend their money on toys VS their homes (or anything else).
Nick

All fair points. The BM66 Villains topper was $399 MSRP when you could find one, but yes I agree, let folks spend their money how they want and don’t judge. This is one of the coolest game interactive toppers released.

#612 5 months ago
Quoted from GAP:

As a distributor you can not drop ship from Stern.

This is true for accessories but not machines.

#614 5 months ago

Does anyone else find it strange that Stern has done zero marketing on this thing? It was in the Stern of the Union on Tuesday but more of an afterthought, saying it was now available from select distributors and it would be in the Stern Shop (website) soon. That’s it. No photos. No video. Nothing.

The Munsters topper was an insider sneak peak and they just posted photos of the Elviria topper for insiders.

#619 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Does anyone else think that some people, possibly even you, have been micro managing this thing the whole time and maybe looking too deep into it?
I miss these days

Of course. I have been waiting for 2.5 years for this topper. Doesn’t mean you need to be a jerk about it.

#626 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone actually have any in stock yet?

I have only seen GAP advertise they had them in stock, but pretty sure the few they had are sold. My distributor has them on order and he is saying they are in production now. Not sure if any other distributors have inventory yet.

#630 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I hate to say it as a SW nut the damn R2 topper is growing on me and I’m disappointed in myself!

Yeah it sucks. I have been in on this for so long, its hard to walk away at this point over $250. Seeing other newer animated (BKSOR) toppers sub $500 make me think this was more of an anomaly than a trend.

#632 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It is what it is, SW is a keeper for me.
I’m not sure if this will be an anomaly or not I sure hope it is but don’t forget BKSOR is $429 and there is zero licensing costs associated with it.

Munsters was also about the same price.

#669 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Yeah...I’m truly amazed at this point that there hasn’t been a single video or description of how the fully working topper integrates with the game code.
I want one and I think I’m over the hump on spending the $750 but I’m not doing it until there is some feedback.

So far there are two owners in this thread. Both have posted upside down photos. A request for a video may be unrealistic.

All kidding aside, I appreciate the photos and information provided so far. But a video would be fantastic. Pro tip: ask your spouse, friend, or kids to film the video while you play. Upload to YouTube unpublished and post the link to this thread.

#672 5 months ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I definitely want to see the thing in action. The only video from a year ago was pretty lackluster at best. Does r2 bounce? Does he project anything (doubtful)? When does he activate in gameplay?

Projecting is 98% chance of NOT happening from what have seen of the cone attachments on the R2 unit. Bouncing would be awesome and possible given the design, but I seriously doubt it. To be true to the story, it would only bounce during very specific moments, so I doubt it. That would be amazing though.

It likely just makes sounds, lights up and rotates, becoming more active during more R2 centric points in the plot.

#677 5 months ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I don think there are many out there in the wild yet - I ordered one and hope I was one of the first ones and that it ships soon. I will post some video if I get it but most folks on here don't make it a pleasant experience to show something. They just bitch and complain and jump all over the person that posted. Kind of sucks for someone just trying to help out with pics and video.

Club threads are friendly. We won’t hate on anything you post! Even the topper thread has taken a turn to be more positive than negative.

#748 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone know if we are hearing all the programmed R2 sounds even without the topper or does the addition of the topper somehow include additional r2 dialogue from the code since the game knows it’s plugged in?
Is the r2 screaming sound in there?

The topper for sure adds sounds. You can hear them in the video. It’s easy to tell the difference if you have played a ton of games on 1.05 code.

#755 5 months ago

Like probably everyone here, I wish this thing did more for the price. But it's still a really cool topper. I am glad Disney made Stern make it actually look like R2 instead of what we saw a year ago. I would like to hear the story behind what happened with the projector feature with Disney. I am sure it will be told someday. Disney is very protective of the Star Wars brand, especially something that could potentially be commercial equipment in a public location.

I am fairly certain what Stern wanted to do was something a little off and not consistent with the brand. Like use a BM66 style projector light to project an image of Leia on a wall or ceiling.

Look at the video of the LCD for the (deleted) "Midnight Madness" mode that was on the early code. It isn't consistent with the Star Wars look and feel, and it more amateur and cheesy than anything Disney would approve.

#766 5 months ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I really don't care if people buy it or not. Spend your money how you want. I just wish this thing didn't look like a child's school project. Why are these decals both cut and applied so poorly (and why are they even using decals instead if a high quality, painted mold)? These photos posted show a severe lack of design and craftsmanship on Stern's part.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
And is that stenciled Sharpie for the black lines?
[quoted image]
For comparison, here is the Sphero of the same area...
[quoted image]

Are those photos from the production model or prototype?

Edit: Never mind - I see they are production. Thats pretty disappointing.

#779 5 months ago

The droid builders have what they call the 10 feet rule. Looks great while standing at the game. No need to zoom in on the hand built close ups. Ha.

#789 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone receive a topper?
Heard there were new builds on the line last week and the ones that have popped up we’re from a very small first run. Hopefully they addressed some of the issues with fit and finish.

Mine should arrive tomorrow. My distro just got a shipment of 5 today.

#792 5 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I received #91 today. The metal base does not lie flat to the top of the pinball but it cannot be seen from the player position. I tried a game as R2-D2, it integrated nicely. No need to video that since it was already done. I did video turning it on the first time. Partly to provide a video of the proper sequence of events when the topper is first installed and the nodes are loaded. And also to film in case it did not go smoothly I would have video to show what happened. Luckily it installed properly.

Thanks for posting. Kind of cool how he wakes up and comes to life.

#794 5 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

The motor is loud. I’ll do a video.

I wonder if a rubber gasket at the base of the topper would help seal the motor sound in just a bit, while also preventing light from leaking.

#797 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Can you hear it during gameplay?

I think so depending on your game volume. But also I reminder that they have a motor sound in the speakers that counters it?

#799 5 months ago

I think he looks pretty good. From the player position you would never notice the stuff we see on the zoomed in photos. Yeah I know we should get more....but it’s still a pretty awesome topper.

I still think a rubber gasket would be good for the base.

#808 5 months ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

i would really apreciate to see some pics of the technic behind, would someone be able to make some of the boards and the motor mechanic of R2 ?

The topper node boards are for sale. Seem to be around $90 each. Making node boards isn’t something that has been done however. Those would be necessary if you wanted to tie it to the same triggers in the code rather than a simple flasher, insert or two. I hope someone tries it. Not sure how many node boards this one requires.

#814 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

You referring to the holes that leds are mounted in or some other holes?
Maybe someone can post some pics of where the light leak is coming from other than around base bottom.

I think he is just saying the gasket will solve the light leak but not the motor noise.

#819 5 months ago

R2D2 #58 reporting for duty. Since I wanted to address the light leaking between the black baseplate and the grey shroud, I installed some weather stripping just behind where the grey shroud rests, to try to block the light bleed. Worked pretty well. I included a photo of the weather stripping installed before I reassembled it.
Also included photos of the node board and the other board. There are two boards in this. I am sure the motor is under R2, but I didn't want to mess with that. Topper works great. Lots of additional sounds throughout the game.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36a4 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36a6 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36b2 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36b5 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36b6 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36b8 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36bd (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36be (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36c3 (resized).jpg

#823 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Looks good! Thanks for posting that.
So to be clear...your hearing additional sounds after installing topper that weren’t previously there?
I guess installing the topper and turning it on must unpack some additional coding or enables additional sound bytes it to be active. This might be a first.

Yes additional sounds. R2 beeps and the R2 movement type sounds.

#824 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Forgot...since you took it apart any thoughts on the noise?
Can it be dampened some how or is it really not an issue?
If you can can you try to capture what it does in attract mode since there is a separate setting for that?

I don't think the noise is an issue. You certainly notice it, but it goes with the game, and I am sure you get used to it. I would expect to notice some noise if I had a droid on top on my pinball machine! The motor is under the R2 head, so I don't see a realistic way reduce the noise without doing something with the motor, which I am not about to do!

I usually have the volume of my games at a decent level, so I guess if you had the volume super low, it would be more out of place. But why do that? Pinball machines are loud.

#828 5 months ago
Quoted from j_m_:

looks like a easy & good solution. it's just a shame that people that are shelling out $750+ for this have to take matters into their own hands to fix what shouldn't have been an issue in the first place

I agree totally. Luckily its a pretty easy fix.

#839 5 months ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

The bottom is a flat plate with holes drilled for the back box screw locations

Right it’s not easy. You would need to remove the gray shroud, then completely dissemble the R2D2 head which isn’t an obvious process. You do it.

#858 5 months ago
Quoted from That370Z:

So the plaque could have gone here and wouldn’t have blocked anything..I’m not sure why it didn’t

I know why it wasn’t on the front. Stern designed the topper way before they decided to make it an LE topper. I don’t like the decision to make it an LE either. Not sure I would want a plaque on the front of my topper anyway. Kinda strange.

That being said, I really like this topper. R2 interacts with a lot of gameplay elements differently. He will spin his dome 360 degrees when you get an extra ball. He will move and beep during the bonus screen when R2 is on the LCD in almost the same pattern. He is more active during modes that he is a main character in. He freaks out when you get a danger or tilt. Lots of cool stuff. It’s the only topper that I have had that you actually notice during gameplay because of the sounds and movement.

Is it stupidly overpriced?  Hell yes.  Are some of the decals not perfect when you get 6 inches away from the topper? Yes and that’s lame. Is is still freaking awesome?  Hell yes.

#863 5 months ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Holy hell, Disney should’ve held out another 2 years until Stern could hire someone to apply stickers straight!
[quoted image]

Yoko, we get it. Some of the decals are not perfect on the R2 dome. You are relentless on here and it isn’t adding much to the conversation. Not defending stern by any means here but it’s just becoming a broken record now.

#866 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Just wondering if the attract mode has any video playing simultaneously when his movements are active.

No. The video that plays in attract seems independent of what R2 does.

#882 5 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

To be honest. That topper looks sweet with the LE translite.

I honestly think thing this thing will look sweet no matter the translite. Even comic! It really completes the game.

I have a Premium with LE tendencies.
453456A1-23A9-432D-A52F-81937F9961A5 (resized).jpeg

#886 5 months ago

I can't wait for the first popcorn dispenser throwing popcorn on the glass. It will be epic!

#887 5 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

So I’ve had my topper now for four days and it continues to grow on me. I’m surprised how much I like it.

It has legs for sure. Just hanging in the basement R2 reminds me he is there.

#890 5 months ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I wish mine would ship already - ordered it 4 weeks ago

I'd consider cancelling If you can find one in stock elsewhere.

#893 5 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

having the topper attached apparently unlocks these sounds in the code.

Correct.

#902 5 months ago

I asked my distributor about his stock level on this. He is currently sold out, but is expecting another shipment next week. Best bet is to give him a call.

Jason
https://www.classicgamerooms.com/

#903 5 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

No I just meant that if you have the main attract music on then you hear the Star Wars theme every time it plays the movie credits and it’s just too noisy. None of them interfere with each other.

Yes I think with R2 the best combo is to play the movie clips in attract, but without sound. That way you can still see the clips, but the only sounds in attract is R2. Just my preference.

1 week later
#936 4 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

since mine didnt come with instructions I emailed Stern, but can someone tell me where the wires go? Or take a pic if they have a chance. Or is there a PDF instruction?

This is what you need.

50B0CB3E-EF1B-4FAA-A359-454E446A48E5 (resized).jpeg
#937 4 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Are you saying on the new versions there is a nut/screw instead of a fake projector type housing?
Whole thing is confusing with all the variations.

I think he is saying the cone projector IS the nut. I have yet to see a photo with any material variations, and I have also seen 3 of these in person. All the same with slight variations because they are hand built. I'd be curious to see photos of the "paint" being mentioned. Perhaps they did change the process, but I'd like to see some photos to be sure.

#946 4 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ok I’ve owned a lot of pinball stuff over the years including all sorts of mods etc, this item is that crapiest piece of junk I have ever bought I feel so ripped off and the worse part is I can’t return it without loosing some of my money . How can they mess up a Star Wars item !?

Honestly I’d return it or sell it if you are that disappointed with it. Not quite sure what you were expecting, the capabilities of this thing have been documented pretty clearly on here. I’m happy with mine.

#948 4 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Maybe mine is defective ? Is yours loud and just goes around in circles at times ? I think I have the latest code. Is so distracting that during the game I keep saying to Myself “ shut up !”

If it only goes in a circle and not back and forth, it is defective. It doesn’t go on a 360 degree circle very often, mostly back and forth.

#958 4 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It’s the first topper I’ve seen when you first install it almost appear to do a code update and node board update

Glad you are happy with it! Anytime a new (or replacement) node board is installed in a Spike game, the CPU board programs the new node board. This happened with my Batman 66 BatSignal topper as well. I think that is what you are seeing. I believe all the R2 topper content was loaded into the game code previously.

#959 4 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, I'm not going to fall into the sarlacc pit of commenting on people deciding to buy these or not. Stern is making their money. Maybe they should've asked 1k for them. I'm going to watch that twitch stream later, but from a cursory scan through of it..I'm not at all impressed for the money. They're going to have to try a lot harder....which we all know they won't.

Not sure I am buying they won't try harder. That Black Knight topper is pretty badass, and only $429, which is a bargain compared to the R2 topper. BUT - It hasn't been released despite being shown at Expo in October, so hopefully it doesn't get delayed as much....Same with Munsters at clock topper at $425. So while the R2 price does suck, It doesn't appear to be the trend.

#963 4 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

"Only".
I've bought working games for less than these toppers.

So have I. I get it. It’s a premium item for a premium item.

#966 4 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

I love how the excuse made by rich (or ......) people to justify overpaying for frivolous shit is always "Because that's the price." This was the exact same non-logic used to defend JJP raising prices, which led to Stern raising prices, and they're both still going higher and higher. Whatever. Like I said...I'm not going to defend my position or convince anyone to change theirs. Enjoy playing your new.....topper. I won't even be arsed to respond to anything else along these lines.

Not sure what your point is other than to shit on the product and the price. Which you have done for multiple posts now. As for "higher and higher", the toppers for games after Star Wars have a topper price hundreds less, so for toppers specifically it isn't the same pattern as game pricing.

#968 4 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

Draining this shit.

Bye Felicia.

#973 4 months ago
Quoted from Asael:

I want to buy one but still no news from stern distributor here in germany.

Did he order some?

1 week later
#989 4 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Do they not give you anything on a topper, they have to at least give you 30 days?

What are you talking about? Everyone who has had issues has been supported by Stern.

#995 4 months ago
Quoted from madscientist101:

You can only post pics no vids here? I wanted to post vid of topper working

There are vids in the thread already. Someone streamed a topper cam for an hour.

#996 4 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Calm yourself no need to fire up the Stern defence force. I asked Dan1733 what kind of warranty they give you on a topper. I did not make any statements about Stern.

Fair enough. I think Stern gives 60 days on pinball machines. I’d guess the topper “warranty” is the same. What happens in reality is a much longer period typically.

#1001 4 months ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

Bought my topper at the end of November and still waiting on it arrive

Who did you buy from?

#1008 4 months ago

I don’t know, if the guy offended you you are the only judge on that. My personal view is that many people take things too personally these days. He was trying to help you avoid shipping it back, which sucks if it was a simple fix. And you didn’t want to touch it, so that’s fair also.

1 week later
#1014 4 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

Mine is supposed to be in a new batch that is being made at this moment. Hopefully they have worked out the kinks. I've barely played the game since I ordered it. Once the topper is up there, I'm going on a SW Premium binge.

That happened for me. Played it more in the week I received the topper than the last 6 months before that.

#1024 3 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

The warranty on new Stern pins is one year not 60 days.

Nope.

6052838D-264C-43A9-B9A9-DD6332994882 (resized).jpeg
#1026 3 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Never saw that before. They have covered me for twelve months on all six of my stern pins so far. Never heard of sixty days. Huh.

They always cover WAY after the stated warranty.

1 week later
#1042 3 months ago
Quoted from ribbo835:

Yeah I have checked the menu and still nothing. The videos I have seen on here R2 head moves side to side but mine nothing but only every 5 mins during gameplay its head rotates 360

Sounds like someone else that had a defective one. If it ONLY rotates 360 degrees and nothing else, something is wrong. Call Stern or your distro.

#1050 3 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Congrats on the topper! Looks like you might have been spewing a little negativity before you got it though? Or maybe you realized your toothpaste dispenser wasn't all you thought it was?

So people are not allowed to change an opinion? I'm sure anyone can dig through many posts and find conflicts along the way.

1 week later
#1074 3 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Got my topper. Works fine except when R2 tries to do a 360 (at the end of the game and in certain parts of the gameplay). He gets stuck and I'm stuck looking at the green light on the back of his head while the motor keeps whirring until the programming tells him to do something else. Then he returns to the home position. Anybody seen this or posted a solution? I'll take him apart if I absolutely have to...I mean, that IS why I spent $750 to get him, right?
PS - Everyone complains about the loud motor, but I actually think that's a sound effect because...you know...he's a droid and all.

He should not get stuck. Call Stern or try yelobird suggestion to fix. A few folks have had to send them to stern for repairs.

#1081 3 months ago
Quoted from drjeff112:

PS - if I tried to get my money back who do I contact? Stern or the distributor I bought it from? I got mine via eBay from Great American Pinball. When I called GAP I was told to deal with Stern. I spoke with Chas and he sent me the first return for repair sticker. Not sure who I should ask for a refund.

The distributor (GAP) sold it to you. You’d need to ask them.

#1095 3 months ago

The motor sounds cool. Similar to what a droid might sound like. The extra sounds from the speakers are well done also. Hope everyone with issues gets their toppers working reliably.

3 weeks later
#1125 80 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Where they flashers? I think I remember hearing they were flashers?

Not flashers.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, OR

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kermit24.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside