20200612_174118 (resized).jpg
15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg
DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#511 4 years ago

is stern crazy, or are the SW owners? it's pretty sad that not only have the owners had to wait over a year for the dang thing, but in addition to an almost 2x price increase over their other toppers it appears to look like a big, cheap model kit. and wtf?!? now toppers are a limited edition thing?

kind of makes me wish that they farmed out the tooling (and finish) to a company like sideshow collectables). at least that way R2 would have had a chromed dome and looked a lot nicer to justify that $750 price tag.

star wars topper (resized).pngstar wars topper (resized).png
image courtesy of this week in pinball (which still looks like the original photo from 6 months ago)

#521 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The comic book topper version comes out in 2035.

and will look like this
r2-d2 (resized).jpgr2-d2 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#691 4 years ago

it would have been cool if stern would have put some effort into the final product and had incorporated something like this into the topper
https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/holovit-5587b238-8b96-40b1-b308-88b51cfed111/holographic-screen

if they positioned that acrylic panel to the side (and positioned it at a 45° angle), the R2 holographic scenes from star wars could have easily been reproduced

or with a piece of semi-reflective user installable mylar, they could have projected something onto the top of the pinball playfield glass

#754 4 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Nice, let’s do mods to cover up scratches and dents for your band new toppers. Stern can save on returns.

given that it appears that every topper received and posted so far has had at least one issue, can you imagine the costs associated if they were all sent back for being defective and/or scratched "straight out of the box"?

this had so much potential and it seems that the ball was dropped given the 2 years that they've had to get it produced. it kind of has that NASA (farm it out to the cheapest bidder) feel to it, especially given the fact that R2 didn't even look correct on their first go 'round

#770 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Gives new meaning to hand drawn art I guess.

looks like I wasn't too far off with this post, eh?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper/page/11#post-5331783

r2-d2 (resized).jpgr2-d2 (resized).jpg

#827 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

R2D2 #58 reporting for duty. Since I wanted to address the light leaking between the black baseplate and the grey shroud, I installed some weather stripping just behind where the grey shroud rests, to try to block the light bleed. Worked pretty well. I included a photo of the weather stripping installed before I reassembled it.
Also included photos of the node board and the other board. There are two boards in this. I am sure the motor is under R2, but I didn't want to mess with that. Topper works great. Lots of additional sounds throughout the game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

looks like a easy & good solution. it's just a shame that people that are shelling out $750+ for this have to take matters into their own hands to fix what shouldn't have been an issue in the first place

#849 4 years ago

that theatre R2 looks awesome!

#856 4 years ago

stern should be ashamed of themselves when they get beat out (badly) by a theatre add-on! that popcorn R2-D2 looks miles better than the lackluster atrocity that calls itself a topper

1 month later
#1019 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Is that for the light bleed from under the topper?

it looks like a narrow version of beer seal (which is used underneath the lockdown bar). there are a variety of things that could be used to mask off any light bleed. adhesive backed felt (sold in craft stores such as michaels and joann fabrics) would work as well.

btw, "isolant ruban" translates to "ribbon insulation" from french to english. come on you slackers

1 week later
#1045 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Kinda sucks if people are paying this kind of money for something that doesn't work properly.

talk to the people purchasing a ST pinball!

#1051 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Have you played one? Well I have and I love it.
Fortunately for me, I can actually form my own thoughts and own opinions. If I don’t have first hand experience, I thoughtfully refrain from spewing other’s negativity.
Oh yeah, I bought the SW topper and love it. Did you buy one of them or are u just here to spread more baseless negativity?

I'm glad you enjoy it. unfortunately, I think that stranger things falls way short of what stern could have done with the license and severely cheaped out on the BOM. I've played one and after putting 400+ shots (over 9 games) on the demigorgon and managing only a meager 3 successful hits (and I'm not the only one complaining about this as well), I believe I'm allowed to have an opinion.

am I supposed to be sorry that my opinion isn't in line with yours?

3 weeks later
#1108 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmaniac:

It showed up in the mail today looking as lopsided at it did the last two times I sent it back. I'm not even putting it on the game this time. I have asked for a refund and am contemplating cancelling my Beatles topper order.

that's pretty sad. I would contact stern directly and express your displeasure. at these prices, not only should it have worked the first time, but that's really rubbing your face in it when they can't get it corrected after 2 attempts.

and that being said, we, as consumers need to start standing up and letting these companies know that they need to make things right or face the consequences of losing our business. price increases need to be justified (at least partially) with quality increases as well.

1 month later
#1134 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I didn't check this when I had mine apart. Deciding if I want to take it apart again...

I would. for what you paid for the thing (and since stern's qa/qc is severely lacking), I would do everything possible to make sure that everything is as it should be with the heat shrink tubing to reduce/eliminate any potential electronic shorting

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.95
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper?tu=j_m_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.