20200612_174118 (resized).jpg
15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg
DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#128 5 years ago

I don't have the pin but I would be pretty disappointed with that. The movement and the base are terrible, very underwhelming.

6 months later
#281 5 years ago

I'm surprised one of you guys haven't grabbed an old ipad and made a topper like this.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Real-Life-Princess-Leia-Hologram-DIY/

7 months later
#357 4 years ago

Is this real or just a joke? If it's real I would not bet against it selling out. The hardcore pinheads have proven time and again they have the cash and are happy to part with it.

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

I’m in, 6 months from now these things will be 1k on eBay. This is Licensed Star Wars, and original trilogy, it will only get better with age, no matter how many people hate it. Will look amazing on my CE. People said the same thing about Ghostbuster topper, but I’m still getting asked if I will sell mine.

not-sure-if-serious-memegenerator-net-not-sure-if-serious-49262880 (resized).pngnot-sure-if-serious-memegenerator-net-not-sure-if-serious-49262880 (resized).png
#437 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

For $749 it should at least come with free shipping.

For $750 it should come with a reach around, its just common courtesy.

#552 4 years ago

It looks like a sweet topper for $199, not a bad deal at $249 but $750 it is an outrageous price for what you get. If your buying that topper you must have disposable income that you can light a grand on fire every month and not notice. If your in that position all the power too you, enjoy it, everybody else is just making really bad decisions.

#555 4 years ago

I think part of it is how predatory this topper is and the elitism involved. If your a huge Star Wars fan and had your $400 in hand your getting screwed here. The whole limited edition thing is just fuck you I got mine. I am sure there is plenty of profit to be had with this thing even at $300 but why let everyone that ones one buy one and make $50 a pop. It's way less work to make $450 profit on the elite and tell them they are special. So they tell the average fan sorry you just not elite enough for this product. It's not really surprising people are critical of this type of business practice.

#645 4 years ago

I guess that is one good thing about the price, there is a lot of financial incentive for progression in toppers. I am sure people can do a lot better than this for $750. I don't think there has been a lot of motivation to really integrate toppers into gameplay at a $250 price point. At this price it really worth the money to go all out and make something awesome.

1 week later
#761 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I actually disagree with this idea. There are plenty of licensed SW products out that aren't exactly like the movies. In fact, I have the R2 toy that projects leiah on the wall, and it moves, beeps, hops, and even carries a beer around for me all for $150. It's the exact same size as the topper as well. This goes to prove what could have been.
I really get tired of giving stern these free passes by blaming Disney. Look at the original art on the game. Everyone blamed Disney. Wrong, stern WAS able to obviously use different art, but obviously chose the original easy way out. People blame Disney for the lack of playfield imagination and toys. I highly doubt Disney, maker of magical things, said no to any cool magnets, or better toys. It's stern and cost cutting. Jjp made a hell of a game with another huge Disney license, and a kick ass topper along with it. It's stern.

Preach! I am so tired of the endless excuses for Stern and constant passing the buck on to the license. $750 for this below average topper is laughable. The only thing funnier is the hopeful denial of just how sad it is. There is a projector, speakers and it can hop up and down...right... right... No it can't its a cheap plastic topper, with a cheap motor, cheap lighting and cheap finish. I original thought if you have money to burn have at it all the power to you but the more we see the more this is clearly a scam to part people from $750. This will not be worth more in a year, in a year it's going to be broken, scratched and falling apart.

1 month later
#981 4 years ago

I don't know what level of service comes from a distributor but at that price and it being dead on arrival I would expect them to send someone to your door to fix it or take it away. Mechanically inclined has nothing to do with it, I can pretty much fix anything but I certainly would never work on a new product or one under warranty. It always makes me chuckle when people suggest you do their work for them for free.

#987 4 years ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Warranty? In pinball? In what other industry does the product cost as much as a car accompanied by virtually no warranty...

Do they not give you anything on a topper, they have to at least give you 30 days?

#990 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

What are you talking about? Everyone who has had issues has been supported by Stern.

Calm yourself no need to fire up the Stern defence force. I asked Dan1733 what kind of warranty they give you on a topper. I did not make any statements about Stern.

1 month later
#1117 4 years ago
Quoted from Apollon:

I bought my SW topper from Hemispheres pinball. He said he opens every SW topper from Stern and checks them for the known issues, most of which are listed here and makes sure they work as they should. Mine has shipped and is supposed to be here Saturday. I will post the results. Modfather, decals or acrylics to accent the topper would be amazing

Clearly the margins are good at this price but that's crazy. How shit is the quality that you have to open every single product before you have confidence to give it to a customer. Also how over priced is this thing that they can spend how ever long it takes to open it, inspect it, set it up, test it, then repackage and just eat that cost. He has to be eating at least an hour labour on ever item.

#1119 4 years ago
Quoted from Apollon:

Yes but he really is trying to do right by his customers and he said the flip side is that he doesn’t have to worry about returns. I would buy from him again, if all goes well with my topper.

Yeah I can't fault him at all sounds like a great distributor, it's the product that would concern me.

2 months later
#1172 3 years ago

It is interesting that everyone responded emotionally. I think D-Gottlieb is making an objective observation. Both points of view can be correct and valid.

#1177 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Seems like everyone simply responded with their opinion. I for one don’t need anyone’s justification on what I purchase or appreciate.

That is the exact point I was making. Every single response started with Love or I love, I hope we can agree those are subjective opinions. D-Gottlieb was clearly being objective in his opinion. Objectively its hard to argue this topper is worth the money, subjectively of course it is. You for one have nothing to get defensive about I was simply pointing out you are both right. If your going to disagree at least use the same type of argument.

#1179 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You really are reading Way to much into this. I nor was anyone defensive to you or his post. Would it help you feel better if we say “we really like it a lot” instead of love it? Asking if we agree it’s “an over priced piece of junk” seems like trolling with stupid bait to me.

Read paul_8788 response he answer objectively to an objective point. It makes sense. They are talking about the cost of goods, manufacturing what you physically get for the money. That is objective. Responding with an emotional subjective opinion to an objective one doesn't make any sense you not even speaking the same language.

#1183 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

How can a non-functional decoration be objectively "worth the money"? No amount of money is a good value for a non-functional item. It's not like the topper is a car, computer, drill, or some other functional item where you can objectively compare this topper's function against another and determine it's value for the money.
It's value is purely subjective.

I have already pointed out an example of objectivity, I have no idea why you guys insist on trying to mix the two and turn this into a boolean equation. I have nothing further to add.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper?tu=darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.