20200612_174118 (resized).jpg
15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg
DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Karl_Hungus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1215 3 years ago
Quoted from Mole:

I can see that there is a long discussion with Stern’s R2-D2. :^)
I saw that some people are quite happy while others are not.
I am with the latter group. I am very unhappy about the build quality and lack of detailing effort for the exorbitant price tag.
I am not here to add to the conversation other then I wanted to remedy the problems that bothered me. So, I concentrated on the lack of detail with the R2-D2 topper. It was quite obvious that a lot of detail was missing that makes R2-D2 the droid that he is.
My goal was to use the original Stern R2-D2 Dome and put on parts that were lacking. I took to the 3D printer community, thingiverse, to see if I could find something that would help to get these R2-D2 parts and details. While I did find good references, there was nothing that I could use directly.
I switched on Tinkercad to build the part models to make with my 3D printer and then used Photoshop to design the graphics from scratch using actual still frames from the A New Hope Episode 4 for R2-D2 displays. All parts designed to fit the Stern R2-D2 Dome directly. These are not functioning parts for adding esthetics only. There are no LEDs functioning logic displays, only printed graphics.
Here are those details added to my topper that I believed to be missing.
Here was my list.
1. (3) Holo-projection lens with the knurling detail and swivel ball base.
2. (2) Front Logic Displays- Top & bottom with blue and white lights graphic.
3. (1) Rear Logic Display with green and orange graphic.
Plus, I am adding working the Yavin X-wing Formation Graphic for behind the R2-D2 with some additional spot lamps. (As seen in the mock-up stage in the photos.) I am going to add some highlights to R2-D2’s dome to look “Battle Worn” and try to be happy with the topper, for now.
In the near future, I will be modeling up a new R2-D2 Dome designed with the individual Blue Panels with the recessed edges, as well as the correct details and working holo-projectors, lit logic display panels and color-changing red/blue & green/yellow color processor state indicators. And maybe adding a working projection of Princess Leia.
Have fun,
Daniel
[quoted image][quoted image]

Really nice looking work. I'm interested in them as well. Assuming you painted the 3d prints to create the data effects?

2 weeks later
#1225 3 years ago

Just got my topper yesterday. Now, I'll be giddy as a schoolgirl when it lights up and whistles, but what an overpriced piece of junk! I'm no engineer, but I could have improved the design with about 12 cents worth of hardware, let alone the cosmetic flaws and basic design. You can look around, I don't bash Stern but again, holy shit, this is a cheaply made bag of monkey dung. I can't wait to have power so I can play with it!

#1226 3 years ago

Sure enough, I plugged it in booted up and R2's head is grinding and stuck in one place.

#1228 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

Easy fix? Asks idiot who is still looking for one of these pieces of sh1t because, quite frankly, I'm a bit of a bellend!

Possible easy fix, but unsure as of yet. Stern is sending me a part.

#1230 3 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Had the same thing happen, bunch of loose and falling out screws for me. Little bit of Loctite and good to go.

Thank you! The entire servo assembly was loose. I held it in place against the motor, tightened everything down and it is working.

#1235 3 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Definitely take it apart before installing. Three major things to check.
1) That the roller on the motor shaft is positioned correctly and that the set screw is tight. There is a great detailed post in this thread on how to check. This can cause the head not spinning/grinding issue.
2) Make sure the strap clamp holding the motor steady is tight. If it starts rotating in that clamp it can short on some screws and blowout the motor control board. This can be the cause of the head not spinning/grinding issue, and then the head not moving at all issue. At this point also check the motor position. The shaft is offset, the motor should be positioned so the roller is against the ring that rotates the head, but not so tight against it that the motor is leaning in the bracket. This is important especially if you tried out the topper and already had the motor rotating issue.
3) Check that none of the flasher lamp sockets are contacting or close to contacting the metal cover, can cause lighting issues.
All in all you are looking at about 15 mins of prevention to save a lot of potential headaches.

100% this. I would add get some adhesive weatherstripping material (.5" is a tight fit) to put inbetween the spacers that hold the topper together to block the light bleed from the drooping center.

#1238 3 years ago

Now having spent some time with R2 in game and in attract mode, I do wish he was coded into the game better, but I love having his overpriced, poorly made, loud little ass up there.

1 month later
#1242 3 years ago
Quoted from pudluther:

so i've been looking around for the R2D2 topper and it seems everywhere i've looked, it's sold out.
anybody have a line on one? or a random corner of the interwebs i haven't tried?
and......is it worth it? i absolutely LOVE the munsters topper and couldn't imagine the game without it. just curious if those of you that have the R2D2 topper are happy with it.
thanks.
(i've thought about getting the LPM hologram topper if i can't find the R2D2)

It's cheaply made, loud, and I love it. Try Tilt Amusements http://www.tiltamusements.com/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Redmond, WA
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Karl_Hungus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper?tu=Karl_Hungus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.