20200612_174118 (resized).jpg
15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg
DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’m calling BS on this... the topper is coming.

Yes, he was talking about Gary Jones and not Gary Stern.

#56 5 years ago

Yeah 1, 2 and 3 were garbage. 4, 5 and 6 are not nearly as good as when I was a kid either because of all the shit Lucas added. Thank god for the despecialized and can't wait for them on Bluray. Personally I enjoyed 7 and 8 and I really enjoyed R1.

Back on topic. Where the F is the topper?

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Good! This better be the topper of all toppers after making us wait this long.

Maybe the R2D2 topper will be plain white with a Supreme logo in the middle? They could limit sales to 50 so everyone has to pay $5000.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

It already has a product page on Marco for $499.

There is $500 on the floor in my living room. It burned a hole through my pocket long ago.

4 months later
#162 5 years ago

Looks fine to me. I like the R2 in the fighter ship look. Its actually kind of clever because toppers need to be low and wide or they won't fit in a lot of rooms with low ceilings. In order to have a full R2D2 up top at that same scale, it would have to be 18 inches tall. Now if Stern would just make a factory topper for Metallica designed by Dirty Donny...

1 week later
#180 5 years ago

I wonder why the reduction to $400? I hope they didn't have to take away functionality to make Disney happy...

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

They missed the window of opportunity. They had to drop the price if they expect to sell any.

No, I think they got it wrong. Iron Maiden is $399 and SW is $499. That's why I'm worried something changed or was removed. It's still 499 on Marcos by the way.

1 year later
#398 4 years ago

I have a feeling Disney and licensing are a factor here. This has been over two years in the making and the basic design has been set forever with a $500 price point.

#401 4 years ago

Looks like this topper is coming at about the same time as the Black Knight topper. This makes the decision of which one I'm buying pretty easy. If this had come out a year ago, I would have bit even at this price point. Black Knight is here to stay for a while. SW is a great game, but will be on the chopping block in around six more months. My collection is mostly SS and EMs, and I like to limit to two newer Sterns at a time for financial reasons. This means rotating out games after a couple of years to bring in a new one.

If this thing has some hidden new feature like the hologram of something super cool, then I might still buy one. Chances are slim at this point.

#403 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

A year ago, I ordered the topper from Game Room Guys for $500. I ended up canceling the order a few months ago. Wonder if they would have honored the price?

A lot of people have pre-orders with various vendors including a few that used 15 or 20% coupons days on ebay. I wonder if these will get cancelled unless people pony up extra cash.

#481 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Someone should make custom decals to dress it up a little.

Need to send it to the Modfather to be painted to look more like the mid-body of fighter ship.

#496 4 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

Here’s your chance, vote with your wallet and don’t buy this piece of junk. $750 insanely dumb.

I was thinking earlier that I should buy one just to piss people off. We'll see what the videos of the actual product look like. BK topper is a sure thing when it is released. Star Wars is a long shot but still possible.

#575 4 years ago

Mounted on the machine it looks bigger than I expected. Looking forward to seeing a video. Thanks for the pictures.

#654 4 years ago

This is why Steve Ritchie likes the original themes. Dealing with Disney on licensing sucks. Look at the Black Knight topper vs Star Wars. If anything, the BK topper is more intricate at $300 less

#659 4 years ago

Looks like I'm ordering two SW toppers. One for my game and one for a friend's.

We got to taking about it and talked each other into buying one.

#689 4 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

It's hard to believe that Stern would stop at 500 toppers.

Once again licensing with Disney seems to be a problem...

Quoted from RockfordReplay:

here's the spreadsheet that documents all node board numbers for Stern games?

https://www.gameroomguys.com/Stern-Pinball-Topper-Node-Board-12

#696 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

So, are there more sounds than just hitting the upper left switch. If it’s the same, the only thing we gain is a rotating R2D2?

LOL at the reaction to the tilt warning. Needs some sort of gasket to keep the light from leaking underneath.

#722 4 years ago

It's been discussed before. Toppers can only be a certain height otherwise they won't fit in a lot of people's rooms unless they have really high ceiling. Doing it this way allows for a rather large r2d2 head without using up too much ceiling space

#773 4 years ago

If you look at R2 in the x-wing there is really not much you can do to dress up the base except to maybe make it looks a little war torn. Then you might have to paint R2 to looks a little tattered too. To me, I will be leaving it as it comes. If someone comes out with an interesting sticker, I might try it, Still kind of skeptical since all that is in front of R2 is the window frame.

000xwing (resized).png000xwing (resized).png
#776 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

After seeing that picture you have a valid point.
Wonder what the heck the shape of that base is supposed resemble because it clearly isn’t a x-wing.

The front of the base would basically be a cross section. The edges of the base are angled similar to the x-wing...

#784 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Maybe if viewing from the side of the fuselage but we are looking at him from the front.

Yes, looking from the front, the fuselage angles down in a similar way on the left and right side of the topper.

#826 4 years ago

That thing looks awesome can't wait to get mine.

1 week later
#908 4 years ago

Still waiting!

20191227_160659 (resized).jpg20191227_160659 (resized).jpg
#916 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Insane that there has to be even a consideration of improving the appearance of this very expensive ornament.

It is insane. I'm not even considering it...

4 weeks later
#1012 4 years ago

Mine is supposed to be in a new batch that is being made at this moment. Hopefully they have worked out the kinks. I've barely played the game since I ordered it. Once the topper is up there, I'm going on a SW Premium binge.

1 week later
#1056 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

For those who hadn’t seen this (I’ve followed this thread from the beginning and didn’t know about this) alternative topper, I just installed:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-the-ultimate-pinball-topper-omg-you-need-to-see-this
Pretty amazing and like 1/3 of the price. Looks way better in person than on camera. Don’t want to derail, but this thread is about topper for stern Star Wars after all...

Meh. I've seen them. They are cool for what they are and I wouldn't mind having one up on a shelf in the gameroom cycling through cool video. But... As a topper, I'll take R2D2 over what is basically a video screen stuck on top of the game (regardless of price).

1 week later
#1068 4 years ago

Am I the only person on earth who has not received their topper yet? I am considering cancelling my order with my distributor and ordering from someone who I know has them in stock.

#1084 4 years ago

Looks like mine is hopefully in the most recent batch built. One would think they have changed the build process to cut down on all the issues. Personally if mine fails I will be fixing it myself with parts from Stern if needed.

1 month later
#1131 4 years ago

Basically here are the two most common issues with these toppers that can cause them to fail. One is the position and heat shrink on the light socket leads shorting against the case. And the second is the clamp that holds the motor can loosen and allow the motor housing to spin and short out the node board. If you feel comfortable removing the cover, these can be easily inspected and fixed. To me it is best to inspect for these before ever installing it in the first place. First remove the R2D2 head noting that the third screw is actually hidden as one of R2's projectors. Then remove the entire cover. Inspect the leads on the LED sockets and make sure the heat shrink is shrunk down and has adequate coverage and turn/bend the leads so the are further from contacting the case or anything else metal. Next find the clamp holding the motor in place and tighten the heck out of it. This is a $750 toy, so proceed at your own risk.

1 week later
#1138 4 years ago

Here is the worst of the unshrunk sockets in mine. Nice to finally have this thing on the game. I made sure everything was right before I installed it. Works perfectly. I love it.

20200418_161305 (resized).jpg20200418_161305 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1197 3 years ago

The only mod that I've done to my topper is to put a little bit of window tint film over the LEDs in the base so they're not quite so bright and harsh. Other than that I plan on doing no mods. R2D2 is many decades-old and it has been damaged and rebuilt many times using whatever parts are available. There is no true standard in my mind.
I love turning the machine on and just having it make noises and move in attract mode as I'm walking through the room. My modding time will be spent elsewhere on things that actually bother me or simply need to be done in other games.

#1203 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

What have others done and has anybody made anything interactive with the game?

The topper interacts with a lot of things in the game. Not sure what you are asking?

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Why is it unobtainable? Last check showed several vendors with them available.

Up until recently they had them in stock at Marcos and Pinball Life and they're both out now. They're going to be very hard to find soon and they're limited to 500. There is one for $999 plus $50 shipping on eBay...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 21.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper?tu=John_I and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.