20200612_174118 (resized).jpg
15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg
DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

There are 1,279 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 26.
#1251 3 years ago

It was rubbing against the shell too unscrewed and adjusted he is now fine.

1 week later
#1252 3 years ago

For those of you that are looking for more info on the topper...

I just got the R2-D2 topper and am blown away. Really exceeded my expectations, especially from a build quality standpoint. I am a bit confused by several of the prior posts in this thread complaining about build quality? Maybe I got lucky. Also, I didn’t read this thread until after I installed the topper, so I just took it out of the box and connected it and it works perfectly. To me, it looks MUCH better in person as compared to photos and videos of the topper, and really does add a lot to the look of the machine. Perhaps most importantly is the smile on first-time users’ faces when they see him on top of the back box in all of his glory!

I admit it doesn’t do a whole lot, but far more than most toppers and the lighting effects are really underrated as there are four pinball style flasher lights that at aim up at R2-D2 and the change in lighting creates a lot of variability— in addition to the interest that the moving R2-D2 creates. The lighting has a nice effect not just on R2-D2, but also on the ceiling and wall(s) behind the pin as well.

The turning head is really cool, as are the extra R2-D2 audio clips, but the unit overall is just outstanding (the build of the base the R2-D2 sits in is way better in person than even the videos looked, even though I too wish it had more detail than just being a silver “box” for R2-D2 to sit in).

Simple to install, and after removing the cap on the top of the back box, plugging in the electrical connectors, and going into the menu to adjust the topper settings; it really made me feel like the pin was incomplete without it.

Really glad I added it.

#1253 3 years ago
Quoted from SWfan:

...... I just got the R2-D2 topper and am blown away. Really exceeded my expectations ... Really glad I added it.

Ditto. And setting the topper to "activate" every 10 minutes in the attract mode is also pretty cool.

#1254 3 years ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

Ditto. And setting the topper to "activate" every 10 minutes in the attract mode is also pretty cool.

Only thing missing is a hologram of Leia being projected onto the glass above the playfield... but I think we may be a little ways away from that technology still...

#1255 3 years ago

Still loving the topper a couple of weeks in...!

1 month later
#1256 3 years ago

Anyone have any leads on a topper?

#1257 3 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Anyone have any leads on a topper?

There is one on eBay, starting bid $1,800

#1258 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

There is one on eBay, starting bid $1,800

I think I'd rather have a system 80b.

1 week later
#1259 3 years ago

Does anyone know if the topper goes to the CN12 or CN22 on the cpu board? The instructions say CN12, but there is already an RJ45 in that spot on mine, but CN22 is open. Are these interchangeable?

#1260 3 years ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

Does anyone know if the topper goes to the CN12 or CN22 on the cpu board? The instructions say CN12, but there is already an RJ45 in that spot on mine, but CN22 is open. Are these interchangeable?

I have mine in the middle jack...whatever number that is (I have a hyperspace back box lighting mod and can't read the number thru the plexiglas).

#1261 3 years ago

Thanks Beelzeboob!

Not sure why, but I had a node board attached there in the middle jack (CN12). I moved it to the outer right jack (CN22) which is where the diagram in the backbox suggests it should be, and plugged in the topper into CN12. Happy to say all works well.

I never had a problem so CN12 may be similar to CN22, for the node board anyway.

4 months later
#1262 2 years ago

Here’s another topper option from Williams Sonoma. I wonder if it can be configured to pop the toast at the right times.

6FA48F63-0D42-4D6F-9966-C01FCE9E2ACC (resized).jpeg6FA48F63-0D42-4D6F-9966-C01FCE9E2ACC (resized).jpeg
#1263 2 years ago

It’s an impossible mission to get the original topper I guess?

#1264 2 years ago
Quoted from Munsters:

Not impossible, you just need to be willing to spend whatever the asking price is. Unfortunately, you would be hard pressed to find someone to charge you anywhere close to retail.

#1265 2 years ago
Quoted from Munsters:

Well you've bumped every thread on the topic so I would assume so.

#1266 2 years ago

Does stern ever remake accessories? Or are they truly a limited run?

#1267 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Does stern ever remake accessories? Or are they truly a limited run?

SW was always limited to 500 toppers

5 months later
#1268 2 years ago

An idea regarding noise of the 'motor' on the topper. Is this sound maybe found in the game code? In this case it could be replaced by an attenuated version. Thoughts?

This is a cross post with the one in the club.

11 months later
#1269 1 year ago

In case you have an R2 topper that is literally not moving or making any noise, here is the replacement motor for it:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/multi-products-company-inc/DCM-1015-1/15668247?s=N4IgTCBcDaILQBEDCBZOBGADOgrBkAugL5A

Mine was not moving or making any noise and I confirmed the board was indeed sending 24V to the motor when it was supposed to move. I ordered the above motor, re-soldered the resistors that were on the bottom of the original to the new one and it was alive again!

5 months later
#1270 9 months ago

Just put my topper on and R2D2 is not facing the right direction. How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1271 9 months ago
Quoted from SerenityNow:

Just put my topper on and R2D2 is not facing the right direction. How do I fix this?

unscrew the head , rotate, screw back on.

#1272 9 months ago

It's interesting that this topper's $750 release price, which was condemned by many (including me) at the time as being ridiculous, now seems to be a comparative bargain in retrospect.

Stern quickly learned what the market will bear and has cashed in on it since.

#1273 9 months ago
Quoted from SerenityNow:

Thanks in advance
[quoted image]

How did you get the weathered finish on it?

5 months later
#1274 4 months ago

I found the artist Randi Martinez. He did all the Artwork for the Comic Art Star Wars Pins (and the Mandalorian). He made a offering to do a commission and Comic Art your Topper! I dropped him an email and shipped out the topper. It came back a bout 2 months later. The whole topper repainted and signed by Randi.

Worth every cent. Now I just need a taller ceiling.

#1275 4 months ago
Quoted from SerenityNow:

I found the artist Randi Martinez. He did all the Artwork for the Comic Art Star Wars Pins (and the Mandalorian). He made a offering to do a commission and Comic Art your Topper! I dropped him an email and shipped out the topper. It came back a bout 2 months later. The whole topper repainted and signed by Randi.

Pics?

#1276 4 months ago
SW Topper 1 (resized).jpgSW Topper 1 (resized).jpgSW Topper 2 (resized).jpgSW Topper 2 (resized).jpgSW Topper 3 (resized).jpgSW Topper 3 (resized).jpg
#1277 4 months ago
Quoted from SerenityNow:

Very cool! Curious how much he charges for this?

#1278 4 months ago

Did he detail the back side ? Pics

#1279 4 months ago

Backside is detailed as well. because my wife doesn't love me, I have low ceilings in my basement. It is difficult to get pictures of the back. but it looks just like the front,m but no signature.

I paid about $1k a year ago.

Randy was kind, patient and loves his work. I'm honored to have his work in my home.

Here's his web site- reach out to him. https://www.randymartinez.art/

(P.S. I also got him to sign my translights for a little extra.)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 1,279 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper/page/26?hl=swfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.