20200612_174118 (resized).jpg
15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg
DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 1,279 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 26.
#1151 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Looking at the picture gallery of this thread (top) all the ones including mine have 4 screws.

Yeah, I kinda knew that already.. R2 is working at the moment.. just pisses me off that Stern can’t sort their QC out..

Machine and toppers made for a cheap as possible, with employees that don’t give a fuck!

#1152 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Yeah, I kinda knew that already.. R2 is working at the moment.. just pisses me off that Stern can’t sort their QC out..
Machine and toppers made for a cheap as possible, with employees that don’t give a fuck!

Sorry, seemed like you posed this as a question just trying to help.

#1153 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sorry, seemed like you posed this as a question just trying to help.

Sorry Dave

#1154 3 years ago

I would like to know the technical data of the Motor (Voltage and RPM) if possible.
Is there someone who can check that for me/us ?

#1155 3 years ago

What a piece of shit, ya’ll got ripped off with this thing

#1156 3 years ago

The QC on the assembly of these things was terrible. And it is super expensive. Not sure how much of that is licensing or Stern cash grabbing but it still sucks.

On the plus side, it is pretty cool once it is up and working. I've spent more money on worse things.

#1157 3 years ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

I would like to know the technical data of the Motor (Voltage and RPM) if possible.
Is there someone who can check that for me/us ?

nobody ?

#1158 3 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I've spent more money on worse things.

The whole post sums up how I feel, but this was funny because it’s so true!

#1159 3 years ago

I probably won’t spend much more time on this, just paint and weather it, add some tinted windows. Looks kind of goofy, but will file it under “better than nothing”.

6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpegDAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpegDAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
#1160 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

I probably won’t spend much more time on this, just paint and weather it, add some tinted windows. Looks kind of goofy, but will file it under “better than nothing”.[quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice!

#1161 3 years ago

This topper is the most pitiful example of expensive Chinese crap I have ever seen. Why are you guys wasting your money?

#1162 3 years ago

Frankly The US actually stands for worse quality than Chinese, internationally speaking (=outside of US).

#1163 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

This topper is the most pitiful example of expensive Chinese crap I have ever seen. Why are you guys wasting your money?

The bigger question is why do you continue to waste time posting in a thread for a product you have no interest in?

#1164 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

The bigger question is why do you continue to waste time posting in a thread for a product you have no interest in?

He's just participating in the new great American past time, "being super judgie". I just spent the last 3 hours listening to my in laws who have perfected the art....

#1165 3 years ago

Does anyone not agree that this toy is a complete piece of overpriced junk? If anyone really is convinced that this is a value priced quality product, please step up.

#1166 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Does anyone not agree that this toy is a complete piece of overpriced junk? If anyone really is convinced that this is a value priced quality product, please step up.

Love ours. Completely disagree.

#1167 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Love ours too.

#1168 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:The bigger question is why do you continue to waste time posting in a thread for a product you have no interest in?
I love mine too. It's a keeper.
Also, I don't bother responding to those that berate others for their purchase. It fulfills no need except for their own.

#1169 3 years ago

I love mine too. Admittedly I was initially turned off by the price but to quote someone else, I've spent much more for less (including my $1500 of Alien air I purchased from Heighway).

I don't judge people for what they spend their money on, mainly because I don't care. I'm certainly not going to spout flame and crap all over their enjoyment of the purchase. If I wouldn't be rude enough to do it in person, why would I do it on the internet.

#1170 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Love mine, too. Yes, I had to fix it when I got it. Cost me an hour and some aggravation. And it shouldn't have, especially for the price. But I haven't yet gotten a pinball machine that didn't have something f**ked up out of the box, so what's the difference?

No regrets, and it works like a charm now. Can't imagine going back.

#1171 3 years ago

Love mine as well.

Had to laugh...the term pinball and value are a bit of a oxymoron if you ask me.

#1172 3 years ago

It is interesting that everyone responded emotionally. I think D-Gottlieb is making an objective observation. Both points of view can be correct and valid.

#1173 3 years ago

I don't mean to slam anyone for their purchase of this thing, sorry if I did. I wanted one of these when I bought the pin, but this is just not doing it. In fact, to me it is a joke that it costs more than 100 bucks. I threw a Boba Fett helmet on my machine and called it a day.

15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg

#1174 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I threw a Boba Fett helmet on my machine and called it a day.
[quoted image]

Well it looks like shit but at least it's cheaper

#1175 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

In fact, to me it is a joke that it costs more than 100 bucks.

Has a full node board, motor control board, motor, multiple leds, metal base and metal ring/sleeve for the rotation. $750 is too much, but I think at the $499 price it would've been reasonable. Not great but compared to what some completely plastic non-interactive pinball toppers sell for, reasonable.

$100.00 is just trolling.

#1176 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It is interesting that everyone responded emotionally. I think D-Gottlieb is making an objective observation. Both points of view can be correct and valid.

Seems like everyone simply responded with their opinion. I for one don’t need anyone’s justification on what I purchase or appreciate.

#1177 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Seems like everyone simply responded with their opinion. I for one don’t need anyone’s justification on what I purchase or appreciate.

That is the exact point I was making. Every single response started with Love or I love, I hope we can agree those are subjective opinions. D-Gottlieb was clearly being objective in his opinion. Objectively its hard to argue this topper is worth the money, subjectively of course it is. You for one have nothing to get defensive about I was simply pointing out you are both right. If your going to disagree at least use the same type of argument.

#1178 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

That is the exact point I was making. Every single response started with Love or I love, I hope we can agree those are subjective opinions. D-Gottlieb was clearly being objective in his opinion. Objectively its hard to argue this topper is worth the money, subjectively of course it is. You for one have nothing to get defensive about I was simply pointing out you are both right. If your going to disagree at least use the same type of argument.

You really are reading Way to much into this. I nor was anyone defensive to you or his post. Would it help you feel better if we say “we really like it a lot” instead of love it? Asking if we agree it’s “an over priced piece of junk” seems like trolling with stupid bait to me.

#1179 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You really are reading Way to much into this. I nor was anyone defensive to you or his post. Would it help you feel better if we say “we really like it a lot” instead of love it? Asking if we agree it’s “an over priced piece of junk” seems like trolling with stupid bait to me.

Read paul_8788 response he answer objectively to an objective point. It makes sense. They are talking about the cost of goods, manufacturing what you physically get for the money. That is objective. Responding with an emotional subjective opinion to an objective one doesn't make any sense you not even speaking the same language.

#1180 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

There is no value or really anything worth the money in this hobby...it’s all overpriced but it’s fun.

There is nothing subjective or objective about it and that isn’t an emotional opinion. It’s probably why every single non pinhead I’ve had over thinks I’m f’ing nuts.

#1181 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Don't forget "Why are you guys wasting your money?"

#1182 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

How can a non-functional decoration be objectively "worth the money"? No amount of money is a good value for a non-functional item. It's not like the topper is a car, computer, drill, or some other functional item where you can objectively compare this topper's function against another and determine it's value for the money.

It's value is purely subjective.

#1183 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

How can a non-functional decoration be objectively "worth the money"? No amount of money is a good value for a non-functional item. It's not like the topper is a car, computer, drill, or some other functional item where you can objectively compare this topper's function against another and determine it's value for the money.

I have already pointed out an example of objectivity, I have no idea why you guys insist on trying to mix the two and turn this into a boolean equation. I have nothing further to add.

#1184 3 years ago

I am happy with my topper, i am glad I bought it.

#1185 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Art is non-functional. I have paid handsome sums for pieces of art. This is not art.

#1186 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Art is non-functional. I have paid handsome sums for pieces of art. This is not art.

And some people would say you got ripped off for some paper and paint or clay or with whatever raw material the art was constructed.

Another example of subjective value to which there is no right answer. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

#1187 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

And some people would say you got ripped off for some paper and paint or clay or with whatever raw material the art was constructed.
Another example of subjective value to which there is no right answer. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

There are a few museums that would disagree with you.

#1188 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Yup. It’s half a basketball spray painted silver, with a bunch of poorly applied stickers, a $5 Chinese motor, and zero QC. All for 10x the price of some very amazing R2D2 toys with incredible detail and engineering. Owners may love it, and that’s totally great, but no one can deny Stern cheaped out to the N’th degree on this one.

#1189 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Yup. It’s half a basketball spray painted silver, with a bunch of poorly applied stickers, a $5 Chinese motor, and zero QC. All for 10x the price of some very amazing R2D2 toys with incredible detail and engineering. Owners may love it, and that’s totally great, but no one can deny Stern cheaped out to the N’th degree on this one.

Something tells me that you and the other guy will spend your life not letting the owners forget.

#1190 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Something tells me that you and the other guy will spend your life not letting the owners forget.

Thank goodness we don't give a shit.

1 week later
#1191 3 years ago

So anyone here modded their topper? Maybe did some ageing on it? Or added a back to it? Got mine today and love it, just thinking it could be taken to another level with a bit of TLC!

#1192 3 years ago

The Stern art-blade package has 4 extra blades. I haven't worked on it, but have considered their use to spice-up the Topper.

#1193 3 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

The Stern art-blade package has 4 extra blades. I haven't worked on it, but have considered their use to spice-up the Topper.

Interested to see if you do come up with something

#1194 3 years ago

I can see that there is a long discussion with Stern’s R2-D2. :^)

I saw that some people are quite happy while others are not.

I am with the latter group. I am very unhappy about the build quality and lack of detailing effort for the exorbitant price tag.

I am not here to add to the conversation other then I wanted to remedy the problems that bothered me. So, I concentrated on the lack of detail with the R2-D2 topper. It was quite obvious that a lot of detail was missing that makes R2-D2 the droid that he is.

My goal was to use the original Stern R2-D2 Dome and put on parts that were lacking. I took to the 3D printer community, thingiverse, to see if I could find something that would help to get these R2-D2 parts and details. While I did find good references, there was nothing that I could use directly.

I switched on Tinkercad to build the part models to make with my 3D printer and then used Photoshop to design the graphics from scratch using actual still frames from the A New Hope Episode 4 for R2-D2 displays. All parts designed to fit the Stern R2-D2 Dome directly. These are not functioning parts for adding esthetics only. There are no LEDs functioning logic displays, only printed graphics.

Here are those details added to my topper that I believed to be missing.

Here was my list.
1. (3) Holo-projection lens with the knurling detail and swivel ball base.
2. (2) Front Logic Displays- Top & bottom with blue and white lights graphic.
3. (1) Rear Logic Display with green and orange graphic.

Plus, I am adding working the Yavin X-wing Formation Graphic for behind the R2-D2 with some additional spot lamps. (As seen in the mock-up stage in the photos.) I am going to add some highlights to R2-D2’s dome to look “Battle Worn” and try to be happy with the topper, for now.

In the near future, I will be modeling up a new R2-D2 Dome designed with the individual Blue Panels with the recessed edges, as well as the correct details and working holo-projectors, lit logic display panels and color-changing red/blue & green/yellow color processor state indicators. And maybe adding a working projection of Princess Leia.

Have fun,

Daniel

20200612_174127 (resized).jpg20200612_174127 (resized).jpg20200612_174118 (resized).jpg20200612_174118 (resized).jpg
#1195 3 years ago
Quoted from Mole:

I am with the latter group. I am very unhappy about the build quality and lack of detailing effort for the exorbitant price tag.
I am not here to add to the conversation other then I wanted to remedy the problems that bothered me. So, I concentrated on the lack of detail with the R2-D2 topper. It was quite obvious that a lot of detail was missing that makes R2-D2 the droid that he is.
My goal was to use the original Stern R2-D2 Dome and put on parts that were lacking. I took to the 3D printer community, thingiverse, to see if I could find something that would help to get these R2-D2 parts and details. While I did find good references, there was nothing that I could use directly.
I switched on Tinkercad to build the part models to make with my 3D printer and then used Photoshop to design the graphics from scratch using actual still frames from the A New Hope Episode 4 for R2-D2 displays. All parts designed to fit the Stern R2-D2 Dome directly. These are not functioning parts for adding esthetics only. There are no LEDs functioning logic displays, only printed graphics.
Here was my list.
Plus, I am adding working the Yavin X-wing Formation Graphic for behind the R2-D2 with some additional spot lamps. (As seen in the mock-up stage in the photos.) I am going to add some highlights to R2-D2’s dome to look “Battle Worn” and try to be happy with the topper, for now.
In the near future, I will be modeling up a new R2-D2 Dome designed with the individual Blue Panels with the recessed edges, as well as the correct details and working holo-projectors, lit logic display panels and color-changing red/blue & green/yellow color processor state indicators. And maybe adding a working projection of Princess Leia.
Have fun,
Daniel
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work mate!

Im currently looking at some C3PO’s to maybe add to the topper... just need to find one which is right size for it!

Something like this!

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#1196 3 years ago
Quoted from Mole:

Here was my list.
Have fun,
Daniel
[quoted image][quoted image]

I would be interested if you offer some of them
Regards Pat

#1197 3 years ago

The only mod that I've done to my topper is to put a little bit of window tint film over the LEDs in the base so they're not quite so bright and harsh. Other than that I plan on doing no mods. R2D2 is many decades-old and it has been damaged and rebuilt many times using whatever parts are available. There is no true standard in my mind.
I love turning the machine on and just having it make noises and move in attract mode as I'm walking through the room. My modding time will be spent elsewhere on things that actually bother me or simply need to be done in other games.

#1198 3 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

I would be interested if you offer some of them
Regards Pat

Sure thing. Once I get done with the design updates, I would be glad to share the .STL design files to the community. So anyone interested could 3-d print them for your own R2-D2 Topper.

#1199 3 years ago

Hi all,

I have a pro inbound and would love the topper but obviously reading the 24 pages here it hasn't had the warmest of receptions and is unobtainable anyway. What have others done and has anybody made anything interactive with the game? Suggestions and links welcome please!

#1200 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

Hi all,
I have a pro inbound and would love the topper but obviously reading the 24 pages here it hasn't had the warmest of receptions and is unobtainable anyway. What have others done and has anybody made anything interactive with the game? Suggestions and links welcome please!

Why is it unobtainable? Last check showed several vendors with them available.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Machine - For Sale
Bryn Athyn, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.95
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,279 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper/page/24?hl=jim-beam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.