20200612_174118 (resized).jpg
15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg
DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 1,279 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 26.
#1101 4 years ago

Wow. Well, good luck to anyone buying this overpriced garbage. Hoping a modder can build a better, correctly-priced version. Damn. Stern has hit new lows consistently.

#1102 4 years ago

Has anyone seen any decals or anything made to dress up the base of this topper yet?

#1103 4 years ago
Quoted from Apollon:

Has anyone seen any decals or anything made to dress up the base of this topper yet?

I am sure I can make something. ANY Ideas would be helpful to what people want. I can make decal inserts, custom graphics or maybe something cut from acrylic as a front faceplate. Is that workable heat vent in the front middle? Chuck

#1104 4 years ago

It's been a month that Stern has had my topper (#202) that doesn't work and still nothing. Is everyone waiting this long for them to fix something so simple. BTW, my R2 did nothing when plugged in, it only lit up.

#1105 4 years ago
Quoted from y2jdmbfan:

I guess I am glad I don't have the ceiling clearance for this guy...LOL

Yes indeed

#1106 4 years ago

Stern has had my topper for a second attempt at repair for a couple weeks now. When I first got it the head was offset to one side and was rubbing on the body when it turned. Upon opening it after I received it back from repair it looked exactly the same - like nothing was done. I'm told I'll get a replacement this time but no eta on when. It this one has problems I'll be returning and done with Stern accessories.

#1107 4 years ago

It showed up in the mail today looking as lopsided at it did the last two times I sent it back. I'm not even putting it on the game this time. I have asked for a refund and am contemplating cancelling my Beatles topper order.

#1108 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmaniac:

It showed up in the mail today looking as lopsided at it did the last two times I sent it back. I'm not even putting it on the game this time. I have asked for a refund and am contemplating cancelling my Beatles topper order.

that's pretty sad. I would contact stern directly and express your displeasure. at these prices, not only should it have worked the first time, but that's really rubbing your face in it when they can't get it corrected after 2 attempts.

and that being said, we, as consumers need to start standing up and letting these companies know that they need to make things right or face the consequences of losing our business. price increases need to be justified (at least partially) with quality increases as well.

#1109 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmaniac:

You really shouldn’t be contemplating at this point. Jmho.

#1110 4 years ago
Quoted from eyewantone:

It's been a month that Stern has had my topper (#202) that doesn't work and still nothing. Is everyone waiting this long for them to fix something so simple. BTW, my R2 did nothing when plugged in, it only lit up.

They finally shipped it yesterday...hopefully they fixed it unlike the others in this thread.

#1111 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmaniac:

I have asked for a refund and am contemplating cancelling my Beatles topper order.

Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

You really shouldn’t be contemplating at this point. Jmho.

It really sucks what you've gone through with your SW topper, and I can understand why you would want to buy any more toppers from Stern. But, the Beatles topper has not had any of the issues that the SW topper did, probably because it has no moving parts. Unlike the SW topper, it also significantly contributes to game play as it can be difficult to know how many loops you are away from Beatlemania without the topper. Beatles toppers were unobtainium for the past few months before Stern did the recent small run so I wouldn't count on them being available indefinitely.

#1112 4 years ago

I have the same problem that drjeff112 had...motor just doesn’t move. Makes sounds, lights up, motor doesn’t turn or even test. WTF Stern?!?

#1113 4 years ago

Wife got this for me as a Christmas present and it just arrived last week. Haven't played it much but with the 2 games I've had time to play, it seems to be operating 100%.

#1114 4 years ago
8D970173-A5A4-4DBE-BCBC-6F1FD87A8EF1 (resized).jpeg8D970173-A5A4-4DBE-BCBC-6F1FD87A8EF1 (resized).jpeg
#1115 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Wow. Well, good luck to anyone buying this overpriced garbage. Hoping a modder can build a better, correctly-priced version. Damn. Stern has hit new lows consistently.

C’mon Wacky, you disagree?

#1116 4 years ago

I bought my SW topper from Hemispheres pinball. He said he opens every SW topper from Stern and checks them for the known issues, most of which are listed here and makes sure they work as they should. Mine has shipped and is supposed to be here Saturday. I will post the results. Modfather, decals or acrylics to accent the topper would be amazing

#1117 4 years ago
Quoted from Apollon:

I bought my SW topper from Hemispheres pinball. He said he opens every SW topper from Stern and checks them for the known issues, most of which are listed here and makes sure they work as they should. Mine has shipped and is supposed to be here Saturday. I will post the results. Modfather, decals or acrylics to accent the topper would be amazing

Clearly the margins are good at this price but that's crazy. How shit is the quality that you have to open every single product before you have confidence to give it to a customer. Also how over priced is this thing that they can spend how ever long it takes to open it, inspect it, set it up, test it, then repackage and just eat that cost. He has to be eating at least an hour labour on ever item.

#1118 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Clearly the margins are good at this price but that's crazy. How shit is the quality that you have to open every single product before you have confidence to give it to a customer. Also how over priced is this thing that they can spend how ever long it takes to open it, inspect it, set it up, test it, then repackage and just eat that cost. He has to be eating at least an hour labour on ever item.

Yes but he really is trying to do right by his customers and he said the flip side is that he doesn’t have to worry about returns. I would buy from him again, if all goes well with my topper.

#1119 4 years ago
Quoted from Apollon:

Yes but he really is trying to do right by his customers and he said the flip side is that he doesn’t have to worry about returns. I would buy from him again, if all goes well with my topper.

Yeah I can't fault him at all sounds like a great distributor, it's the product that would concern me.

#1120 4 years ago

Got my Topper today! I highly recommend that if you want one, you buy it from Hemisphere’s
Pinball. Mine works perfect and looks perfect. He opens each topper and checks them all out and performs any corrections that have been mentioned here. I took a closeup video of it working and installed but it won’t let me attach it to this post.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1121 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmaniac:

Unbelievable. Reading all these posts with defective units at this price point and they don't even test the "repair" just blows my mind. Thank god they don't make any medical instruments....

#1122 4 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Unbelievable. Reading all these posts with defective units at this price point and they don't even test the "repair" just blows my mind. Thank god they don't make any medical instruments....

got mine after waiting 3 months, broken and head will not turn

#1123 4 years ago
Quoted from Apollon:

Got my Topper today! I highly recommend that if you want one, (snip)

Just curious - Your pic does not show the 4 bright white lights that shine up through the oval openings that light up R2D2. (see comparison pics) Was that just a camera glitch?

SW-TOPb (resized).jpgSW-TOPb (resized).jpg20200309_130701a (resized).jpg20200309_130701a (resized).jpg
#1124 4 years ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

Just curious - Your pic does not show the 4 bright white lights that shine up through the oval openings that light up R2D2. (see comparison pics) Was that just a camera glitch?[quoted image][quoted image]

Where they flashers? I think I remember hearing they were flashers?

#1125 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Where they flashers? I think I remember hearing they were flashers?

Not flashers.

#1126 4 years ago

As far as physical appearance they look like flashers as the base is the same as a #89 bayonet flasher but in the SW topper they are just normally on and bright, but not at a flasher brilliance. In certain topper modes they do turn off/on.

#1127 4 years ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

Just curious - Your pic does not show the 4 bright white lights that shine up through the oval openings that light up R2D2. (see comparison pics) Was that just a camera glitch?[quoted image][quoted image]

I just took the pic when the lights happen to be off. They light up my ceiling like everything. Works perfectly. Wish I could post the video

#1128 4 years ago
Quoted from Apollon:

Wish I could post the video

You have to post on YouTube and link the video to Pinside.

2 weeks later
#1129 4 years ago
Quoted from eyewantone:

They finally shipped it yesterday...hopefully they fixed it unlike the others in this thread.

Unfortunately, Stern was not able to fix their own product after a month. I called my dealer and he told me to bring in it. He said he would swap it out for one that works and he'll deal with Stern on getting the broken one fixed.

Fortunately, I now have a working R2D2 topper...yay!

#1130 4 years ago
Quoted from eyewantone:

Unfortunately, Stern was not able to fix their own product after a month. I called my dealer and he told me to bring in it. He said he would swap it out for one that works and he'll deal with Stern on getting the broken one fixed.
Fortunately, I now have a working R2D2 topper...yay!

Good dealer !!!!!

1 week later
#1131 4 years ago

Basically here are the two most common issues with these toppers that can cause them to fail. One is the position and heat shrink on the light socket leads shorting against the case. And the second is the clamp that holds the motor can loosen and allow the motor housing to spin and short out the node board. If you feel comfortable removing the cover, these can be easily inspected and fixed. To me it is best to inspect for these before ever installing it in the first place. First remove the R2D2 head noting that the third screw is actually hidden as one of R2's projectors. Then remove the entire cover. Inspect the leads on the LED sockets and make sure the heat shrink is shrunk down and has adequate coverage and turn/bend the leads so the are further from contacting the case or anything else metal. Next find the clamp holding the motor in place and tighten the heck out of it. This is a $750 toy, so proceed at your own risk.

#1132 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Basically here are the two most common issues with these toppers that can cause them to fail. One is the position and heat shrink on the light socket leads shorting against the case. And the second is the clamp that holds the motor can loosen and allow the motor housing to spin and short out the node board. If you feel comfortable removing the cover, these can be easily inspected and fixed. To me it is best to inspect for these before ever installing it in the first place. First remove the R2D2 head noting that the third screw is actually hidden as one of R2's projectors. Then remove the entire cover. Inspect the leads on the LED sockets and make sure the heat shrink is shrunk down and has adequate coverage and turn/bend the leads so the are further from contacting the case or anything else metal. Next find the clamp holding the motor in place and tighten the heck out of it. This is a $750 toy, so proceed at your own risk.

Or it’s the drive gear as written up in post 1062. Still works great.

#1133 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Or it’s the drive gear as written up in post 1062. Still works great.

That is definitely something that has to be checked, as it was a problem on mine once I took it apart.

My guess is most of the people who have the issue where the motor doesn't work at all have had the motor control board short as described by John_I. On mine the heat shrink on the wiring wasn't done properly on the motor and had slipped off the terminals completely. Wouldn't be a problem normally because those terminals shouldn't be anywhere near anything metal, but if the motor starts turning in that clamp, which can happen if the drive gear is fubared, all bets are off.

I had Stern ship a new motor control board, and new motor just in case. I replaced everything, made sure the drive gear was right, the position of the motor was correct, terminals were protected just in case, and everything has been great.

Quoted from John_I:

Inspect the leads on the LED sockets and make sure the heat shrink is shrunk down and has adequate coverage and turn/bend the leads so the are further from contacting the case or anything else metal.

I didn't check this when I had mine apart. Deciding if I want to take it apart again...

#1134 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I didn't check this when I had mine apart. Deciding if I want to take it apart again...

I would. for what you paid for the thing (and since stern's qa/qc is severely lacking), I would do everything possible to make sure that everything is as it should be with the heat shrink tubing to reduce/eliminate any potential electronic shorting

#1135 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Basically here are the two most common issues with these toppers that can cause them to fail. One is the position and heat shrink on the light socket leads shorting against the case. ....

You know, I had forgotten about that. When I first installed my topper I had a problem with those 4 white lights. I accidentally noticed that when I applied slight physical pressure to the front of the topper case that all 4 lights would go off and then come back on. A quick exam revealed that the 2nd from the left bayonet socket had the shrink wrap not fully covering the lugs allowing one of the lugs to intermittently touch the grounded mounting bracket. Rotating the wire lug out of harms way fixed the problem. At the time it was a small issue with a quick fix but now I see others had the same issue. Fortunately the Spike Node is designed to tolerate this type of short and remove the LED power until the short is cleared. At least that part is a neat design!

#1136 4 years ago

Amazing. This thread has turned into the Star Wars Topper repair thread. What a complete piece of overpriced crap.

#1137 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Amazing. This thread has turned into the Star Wars Topper repair thread. What a complete piece of overpriced crap.

They only paid $750. What’d you expect? Un-fricken-believable. Keep lining up people...

#1138 4 years ago

Here is the worst of the unshrunk sockets in mine. Nice to finally have this thing on the game. I made sure everything was right before I installed it. Works perfectly. I love it.

20200418_161305 (resized).jpg20200418_161305 (resized).jpg
#1139 4 years ago

On mine the lug with the yellow wires is stiff but can be rotated vertically keeping it away from the mounting bracket. A 2 second fix, easy peasy.
I love mine as well. Works perfect!

1 week later
#1140 3 years ago

Hi

My R2 is working well... well he is looking left, right, centre and spinning 360.

However R2’s head is rubbing the black ring between the body. I see scratch marks on the ring. Watching R2, when he goes round his head spins not quite straight on his axis..

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

#1141 3 years ago

Yeah, all of the R2 head movements I've seen are not perfectly planed to the body. I haven't seen or read about one that rubbed the ring; until now.

All of the R2 Toppers should be disassembled, tediously checked and re-assembled before use.

#1142 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Hi
My R2 is working well... well he is looking left, right, centre and spinning 360.
However R2’s head is rubbing the black ring between the body. I see scratch marks on the ring. Watching R2, when he goes round his head spins not quite straight on his axis..
Anyone else have this issue?
Thanks

While mine is slightly off axis creating a very slight wobble while rotating, it's not enough for R2's head to touch the body. Perhaps just re-seating R2's head might help? He's only attached with 2 blue Phillips screws in the back plus to the right of the front red light, unscrew the silver knob. I don't remember what those 3 points are attached to but perhaps you can raise those mount points slightly to make a difference?

3 weeks later
#1143 3 years ago

I remember long ago someone mentioned in this thread that you could buy the Sphero R2D2 droid for like $30 - so I did a few months ago. I'm just now getting around to designing the framework to mount this on top of my pin as a poor man's topper

What you see here is just the framework - testing for fit and stability. Once I add lighting and make it look like it's in the back of an X-Wing, I'll have paid less than $100 and can take it out so the kids can still play with it

Droid2 (resized).jpgDroid2 (resized).jpg
#1144 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

I remember long ago someone mentioned in this thread that you could buy the Sphero R2D2 droid for like $30 - so I did a few months ago. I'm just now getting around to designing the framework to mount this on top of my pin as a poor man's topper
What you see here is just the framework - testing for fit and stability. Once I add lighting and make it look like it's in the back of an X-Wing, I'll have paid less than $100 and can take it out so the kids can still play with it
[quoted image]

...or you can do like I did and get the R2-D2 topper as well as a Sphero R2-D2, BB-8, BB-9E, and R2-Q5 droids...

(Wait...I'm not done yet...)

...then go to Disneyland and build yet another R2 droid that rides around with you in a backpack and interacts with stuff in the park as you walk by it.

It's truly amazing that I'm still married. And where's the damn nerd emoji when you need it???

#1145 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's truly amazing that I'm still married. And where's the damn nerd emoji when you need it???

Ha. You would think on a forum like this it would be mandatory that it’s included for use. I def resemble that remark.

#1146 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

..then go to Disneyland and build yet another R2 droid that rides around with you in a backpack and interacts with stuff in the park as you walk by it.

Wait - what? That really exists?

#1147 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Wait - what? That really exists?

Yep. The guy at Droid Depot told me to make sure not to turn the droid off as I walked around the park. Apparently, it receives signals throughout the park via Bluetooth and reacts to certain things as you pass by. Of course, once you get home, you're beat. It's fun while it lasts, though. And don't even get me started at the insanely-overpriced light saber you can build. Thing is made of metal and feels like it weighs about 5 pounds. Coolest thing ever...especially since you can change out the crystals to change the color.

Now, aren't you glad Disney's shut down and just saved you hundreds of dollars?

20200521_090609 (resized).jpg20200521_090609 (resized).jpg
#1148 3 years ago

This is so nerdy! Definitely something a grown man shouldn't have.... that being said... SIGN ME UP FOR ONE WHEN THE PARK RE-OPENS!

#1149 3 years ago

Decided to take R2 apart and check him out.

This is what I’ve found
Lamp holders look OK, shrink wrap is secure.

But.. the outer metal ring on the 4 tall Stand off posts only has 2 screws securing it!?

I’m guessing it should have 4!?
But they are not aligned properly,

Anyone else got this?
Oh and my topper 039/500

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1150 3 years ago

Looking at the picture gallery of this thread (top) all the ones including mine have 4 screws.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bryn Athyn, PA
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,279 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper/page/23?hl=bmanpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.