20200612_174118 (resized).jpg
15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg
DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 1,279 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 26.
#901 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Are you saying you can’t have the main attract music and the r2 attract set to an interval where they don’t interfere with one another?
Ideally I would like both active.

No I just meant that if you have the main attract music on then you hear the Star Wars theme every time it plays the movie credits and it’s just too noisy. None of them interfere with each other.

#902 4 years ago

I asked my distributor about his stock level on this. He is currently sold out, but is expecting another shipment next week. Best bet is to give him a call.

Jason
https://www.classicgamerooms.com/

#903 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

No I just meant that if you have the main attract music on then you hear the Star Wars theme every time it plays the movie credits and it’s just too noisy. None of them interfere with each other.

Yes I think with R2 the best combo is to play the movie clips in attract, but without sound. That way you can still see the clips, but the only sounds in attract is R2. Just my preference.

#904 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I asked my distributor about his stock level on this. He is currently sold out, but is expecting another shipment next week. Best bet is to give him a call.
Jason
https://www.classicgamerooms.com/

Ordered my topper on black friday/ cyber Monday..... still waiting from Colorado Game Exchange

#905 4 years ago

It appears my Christmas has been mostly Star Wars and mostly R2D2. I continue to play my Star Wars pinball with the topper installed. I have always enjoyed the game and now enjoy it more with the integration of the topper into the game play and attract mode. My Deadpool topper is kind of interactive with the hand moving up and down. But this is just the best integration, so far, that I have seen for a topper. I am glad I got the topper.

(The small R2D2 in the photo is a miniature Hallmark ornament about 2" x 2". It does not light up or anything. Just looked regal.)
image0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpeg

#906 4 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

It appears my Christmas has been mostly Star Wars and mostly R2D2. I continue to play my Star Wars pinball with the topper installed. I have always enjoyed the game and now enjoy it more with the integration of the topper into the game play and attract mode. My Deadpool topper is kind of interactive with the hand moving up and down. But this is just the best integration, so far, that I have seen for a topper. I am glad I got the topper.
(The small R2D2 in the photo is a miniature Hallmark ornament about 2" x 2". It does not light up or anything. Just looked regal.)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks awesome. For what it does I think it looks great personally. Just may take the plunge and order one. Thanks for sharing.

#907 4 years ago

mbelofsky Are the head of the 18" R2D2 and the topper head the same size?

#908 4 years ago

Still waiting!

20191227_160659 (resized).jpg20191227_160659 (resized).jpg
#909 4 years ago

R2's attract mode is soooo appealing. The machines were on for a few days and R2 was beggin' to go. Sucking us back for another game; He's irresistible.

#910 4 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

R2's attract mode is soooo appealing. The machines were on for a few days and R2 was beggin' to go. Sucking us back for another game; He's irresistible.

Maybe I missed it but can you post a video of this?

#911 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Maybe I missed it but can you post a video of this?

I can post this weekend if it isn't already up. It's his sound that draws you in; The way he chirps and beeps, very much like the game-play.

#912 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

mbelofsky Are the head of the 18" R2D2 and the topper head the same size?

No. The AMC R2D2 has a 22" circumference at the bottom of the dome. The topper has a 19.75" circumference at the bottom of the dome.

The topper is also a little less than 7.5" tall total.

#913 4 years ago

I just made this video of an hour of game play with a camera on the topper:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/527437553

#914 4 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

The topper has a 19.75" circumference at the bottom of the dome.

In terms of potential head replacements we now have

AMC PopCorn R2D2 at 22" circurmference (too big)

JAKKS PACIFIC R2D2 at 59 cm = 23,25 Inch circumference (too big)
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Classic-Deluxe-Electronic/dp/B016ZNS09S

Thinkway R2D2 at 54 cm = 21,25 Inch (too big)
https://www.amazon.com/Star-R2-D2-Interactive-Robotic-Thinkway/dp/B0164UIFVA

I'll keep my eyes open for others.

#915 4 years ago

Insane that there has to be even a consideration of improving the appearance of this very expensive ornament.

#916 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Insane that there has to be even a consideration of improving the appearance of this very expensive ornament.

It is insane. I'm not even considering it...

#917 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I agree. I personally feel like the Stern one looks fine and more importantly my kids love it. It is a closer resemblance to the R2D2 in the movies than the characters drawn on the playfield and back glass are to their movie counter parts. The movements and sounds are spot on. That said no one will think it is the real R2-D2: It's too small, missing the bottom 2/3 of the droid, it can't throw out a light saber or project a hologram of Leia, and it is on top a pinball machine.

#918 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Quoted from twenty84:

I agree. I personally feel like the Stern one looks fine

I agree that it looks fine. I really dont think many people are considering changing the R2D2. The only one I heard talking about changing R2D2 is Sprudeldudel and he is free to do as he pleases. I got word mine has shipped and excited to be getting it soon.

#919 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I just made this video of an hour of game play with a camera on the topper:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/527437553

Your combined play-field angles for streaming are terrific; I like. Perhaps a reduction of the back-glass light % during game-play is beneficial.

#920 4 years ago

My topper #429 has arrived. Looks good on the game.

IMG_4997 (resized).JPGIMG_4997 (resized).JPGIMG_5003 (resized).JPGIMG_5003 (resized).JPGIMG_5004 (resized).JPGIMG_5004 (resized).JPGIMG_5005 (resized).JPGIMG_5005 (resized).JPGIMG_5006 (resized).JPGIMG_5006 (resized).JPG
#921 4 years ago

429? They don't necessarily build/ship these in numerical order right? Or do they?

#922 4 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

429? They don't necessarily build/ship these in numerical order right? Or do they?

Just a random number.

#923 4 years ago

Number 316 was delivered safely today, which is remarkable considering the condition of the carton! There's been a lot of talk about "stickers" not being straight or what have you. I don't know if they changed the process, but I don't believe mine has any stickers on it. I'm seeing blue paint with perhaps a lighter primer underneath it and a hard line around the edge where the painted area was masked off. I see tiny areas where they ran a razor over the seam to keep the mask from taking the paint with it. I'm even seeing very small areas where blue paint bled under the mask (I'm using a jewel's loupe). Yes, some of the lines look like they are done with a fine point marker and a few lines aren't perfectly straight, but this thing took a lot of work and looks great!

#924 4 years ago
Quoted from Nickbtx:

Number 316 was delivered safely today, which is remarkable considering the condition of the carton! There's been a lot of talk about "stickers" not being straight or what have you. I don't know if they changed the process, but I don't believe mine has any stickers on it. I'm seeing blue paint with perhaps a lighter primer underneath it and a hard line around the edge where the painted area was masked off. I see tiny areas where they ran a razor over the seam to keep the mask from taking the paint with it. I'm even seeing very small areas where blue paint bled under the mask (I'm using a jewel's loupe). Yes, some of the lines look like they are done with a fine point marker and a few lines aren't perfectly straight, but this thing took a lot of work and looks great!

Pictures?

#925 4 years ago

That’s going to cause a stir. If they’re improving the later runs of this thing get ready.

#926 4 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

That’s going to cause a stir. If they’re improving the later runs of this thing get ready.

Highly doubt they are doing anything different. Since they are hand made they likely are getting better at building them though!

#927 4 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

I'm not trying to cause a stink, I'm more curious if any of them have stickers (I'm speaking specifically about the dome). At a glance the blue areas look like a sticker, but I still believe that they are paint. I had an early concern that a vinyl decal might lift, particularly when on a domed surface. I may be all wrong, but why would there be blue paint bleeding out from under a sticker? I may try to get pictures later.

The cylindrical part of the droid does look like a vinyl sticker but there are no issues with it. Looks great. I doubt the movie prop looked any better.

#928 4 years ago
Quoted from Nickbtx:

I'm not trying to cause a stink, I'm more curious if any of them have stickers (I'm speaking specifically about the dome). At a glance the blue areas look like a sticker, but I still believe that they are paint. I had an early concern that a vinyl decal might lift, particularly when on a domed surface. I may be all wrong, but why would there be blue paint bleeding out from under a sticker? I may try to get pictures later.
The cylindrical part of the droid does look like a vinyl sticker but there are no issues with it. Looks great. I doubt the movie prop looked any better.

Some people posted some pics earlier that looked like stickers (e.g. post #840, #764). I'm not sure if these were some kind of prototypes or early production versions as mine also appears to be painted also. In one image the rectangle that represents logic display seemed crooked although it looks fine on mine, and this is on the back of the droid so not as many pictures of that part have been posted.

Strangely in the version that was first seen on the Stern tour before it was announced, as well as some early pictures the holo projector on the front seems to have been replaced with just a screw. The misassembled version also seems to be shown on some distributor websites which is unfortunate. The dome attaches to the underlying metal structure at three points including at the holo projector that acts as a nut.

#929 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Some people posted some pics earlier that looked like stickers (e.g. post #840, #764). I'm not sure if these were some kind of prototypes or early production versions as mine also appears to be painted also. In one image the rectangle that represents logic display seemed crooked although it looks fine on mine, and this is on the back of the droid so not as many pictures of that part have been posted.
Strangely in the version that was first seen on the Stern tour before it was announced, as well as some early pictures the holo projector on the front seems to have been replaced with just a screw. The misassembled version also seems to be shown on some distributor websites which is unfortunate. The dome attaches to the underlying metal structure at three points including at the holo projector that acts as a nut.

Are you saying on the new versions there is a nut/screw instead of a fake projector type housing?
Whole thing is confusing with all the variations.

#930 4 years ago

Hey guys I just got my topper , there were no instructions or screws etc in the box , were there supposed to be some?

#931 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey guys I just got my topper , there were no instructions or screws etc in the box , were there supposed to be some?

It uses the screws that are already on the top of the backbox. If you set it up on there you can see how it lines up. It should of come with instructions.

#932 4 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

My topper #429 has arrived. Looks good on the game.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

#933 4 years ago

Another topper in the house!! #210. I did not get a notice from GAP, but coming home to see it on my front door was both exciting and nervousness. Damn shipping company clearly did not care about the fragile tape on the box (see enclosed photo). Thankfully, cosmetically no dents or scratches... I did notice the bottom piece on R2 body that is slightly hidden from the frame seems like a glued white construction paper with printed grey rectangles??? Really!?!?! I have yet to take it out of the plastic as I cannot install it tonight and I do NOT want my little sticky children fingers on my Topper.

21298A77-1830-4C2A-8C3A-173B64E16715 (resized).jpeg21298A77-1830-4C2A-8C3A-173B64E16715 (resized).jpegA362B18E-8AB8-48A8-A353-A23390B3E2B5 (resized).jpegA362B18E-8AB8-48A8-A353-A23390B3E2B5 (resized).jpeg
#934 4 years ago

I love Star Wars...and own a prem. Love toppers too...but the variations in build and quality, along with the price...

#935 4 years ago

since mine didnt come with instructions I emailed Stern, but can someone tell me where the wires go? Or take a pic if they have a chance. Or is there a PDF instruction?

#936 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

since mine didnt come with instructions I emailed Stern, but can someone tell me where the wires go? Or take a pic if they have a chance. Or is there a PDF instruction?

This is what you need.

50B0CB3E-EF1B-4FAA-A359-454E446A48E5 (resized).jpeg50B0CB3E-EF1B-4FAA-A359-454E446A48E5 (resized).jpeg
#937 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Are you saying on the new versions there is a nut/screw instead of a fake projector type housing?
Whole thing is confusing with all the variations.

I think he is saying the cone projector IS the nut. I have yet to see a photo with any material variations, and I have also seen 3 of these in person. All the same with slight variations because they are hand built. I'd be curious to see photos of the "paint" being mentioned. Perhaps they did change the process, but I'd like to see some photos to be sure.

#938 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

This is what you need.[quoted image]

Thanks man!

#939 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I think he is saying the cone projector IS the nut. I have yet to see a photo with any material variations, and I have also seen 3 of these in person. All the same with slight variations because they are hand built. I'd be curious to see photos of the "paint" being mentioned. Perhaps they did change the process, but I'd like to see some photos to be sure.

Here is a picture with the dome off the topper. As you can see there is a metal ring and the dome attaches at 3 points. Some of these points are just threaded screw holes and the screw is painted to match the color of the the part of the dome it goes through. In the prong facing us there is a threaded post, the projector cone is a nut that goes on this post. It is sitting just to the right of the topper in this picture.

IMG_0913 (resized).jpegIMG_0913 (resized).jpeg
#940 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Here is a picture with the dome off the topper. As you can see there is a metal ring and the dome attaches at 3 points. Some of these points are just threaded screw holes and the screw is painted to match the color of the the part of the dome it goes through. In the prong facing us there is a threaded post, the projector cone is a nut that goes on this post. It is sitting just to the right of the topper in this picture.[quoted image]

That makes sense now, when someone said the projector is a but I was like really? A visible hex nut or something and our little brains need to imagine its intended to be a projector...lol

The projector cone screws on to post and functions as a decorative nut. Thanks for the photos. My topper should be here today!

#941 4 years ago

Calling in sick today led to a Star Wars day at home , unboxed my efx tie fighter , life size guard bust and installed topper ! Can’t wait to see what else in store !

114A193D-EBA2-4CDC-BE8E-6DFAD0DA7C96 (resized).jpeg114A193D-EBA2-4CDC-BE8E-6DFAD0DA7C96 (resized).jpeg4450C57F-57BA-49B6-A062-7660813D93F9 (resized).jpeg4450C57F-57BA-49B6-A062-7660813D93F9 (resized).jpegDFEF9B16-A14B-428C-BF87-A97BD0342926 (resized).jpegDFEF9B16-A14B-428C-BF87-A97BD0342926 (resized).jpeg
#942 4 years ago

Ok honestly I don’t like the topper , just my opinion it keeps going Around in circles it’s so loud it takes away from gameplay , its crap

#943 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Here is a picture with the dome off the topper. As you can see there is a metal ring and the dome attaches at 3 points. Some of these points are just threaded screw holes and the screw is painted to match the color of the the part of the dome it goes through. In the prong facing us there is a threaded post, the projector cone is a nut that goes on this post. It is sitting just to the right of the topper in this picture.

I have not disassembled mine, nor do I plan to, but it appears from your photo (and others) that there are no light bulbs inside the dome, but rather lenses in the dome that let light pass through from below. I was wondering how the head could spin 360 degrees without some elaborate electrical contact system to prevent wires from getting twisted. That's pretty cleaver. Might also explain why there is no projector. The old KISS engineering principle at work.

#944 4 years ago

Ok I’ve owned a lot of pinball stuff over the years including all sorts of mods etc, this item is that crapiest piece of junk I have ever bought I feel so ripped off and the worse part is I can’t return it without loosing some of my money . How can they mess up a Star Wars item !?

#945 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

.... I feel so ripped off ...

Mo no offense but this most of this thread is telling you what a disaster this thing is.

#946 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ok I’ve owned a lot of pinball stuff over the years including all sorts of mods etc, this item is that crapiest piece of junk I have ever bought I feel so ripped off and the worse part is I can’t return it without loosing some of my money . How can they mess up a Star Wars item !?

Honestly I’d return it or sell it if you are that disappointed with it. Not quite sure what you were expecting, the capabilities of this thing have been documented pretty clearly on here. I’m happy with mine.

#947 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Honestly I’d return it or sell it if you are that disappointed with it. Not quite sure what you were expecting, the capabilities of this thing have been documented pretty clearly on here. I’m happy with mine.

Maybe mine is defective ? Is yours loud and just goes around in circles at times ? I think I have the latest code. Is so distracting that during the game I keep saying to Myself “ shut up !”

#948 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Maybe mine is defective ? Is yours loud and just goes around in circles at times ? I think I have the latest code. Is so distracting that during the game I keep saying to Myself “ shut up !”

If it only goes in a circle and not back and forth, it is defective. It doesn’t go on a 360 degree circle very often, mostly back and forth.

#949 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

If it only goes in a circle and not back and forth, it is defective. It doesn’t go on a 360 degree circle very often, mostly back and forth.

Ok thanks it rarely if ever goes back and fourth must be defective I’ll contact stern

#950 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I honestly don't care if you think the topper is stupid, that I am stupid for buying it, all the rest of your overblown angst. Don't need your or anyone else's support and approval for how I spend my cash. I do find your stance kind of funny though. Looking at your collection history you are a bigger part of the pinball hobby price explosion than I could ever be.
Just not sure why you feel the need to insult other people. To each their own I guess.

Revisiting this ridicous topic again where we're just letting Stern do whatever they want and you're right, you def do and should buy what you want. I agree 100% on that and it's what makes America so good - land of the free. Thought I would clarify that.

Not sure why my extreme Pinball ADD would be on the same level as this considering I didn't buy those Pinball machines at a ridicous markup.... my alien included. In fact the activity I caused probably stimulated the market! Not looking for an answer really just wanted to course the loop on that too. Cheers for another topic hiatus.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.95
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,279 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper/page/19?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.